1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 291 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

51bdr1vEtaL (resized).jpg
main-qimg-3a449ef831397c2db016208fdbb27010-c (resized).jpg
chand-1 (resized).jpg
64588576 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
1302147097 (resized).jpg
blade-runner-2049 (resized).png
art2 (resized).jpg
art1 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171010-121508 (resized).png
DuneMovie (resized).jpg
gosselin (resized).jpg
brokeback_mountain_ver3 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.31.11 PM (resized).png
IMG_1726 (resized).PNG
movie-blade-runner (resized).jpg

There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 12 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wheeeeew........we're out of the woods.
Yesterday's box office totals hit $194 million, so BR2049 made a profit !!!!!!!
Now, that clears the way for BRRR (Blade Runner Replicant Revolution) to be made.
Spoiler Alert: It becomes illegal for replicants to have an abortion, yet ironically at the same time, America becomes crowded with unwanted Human/Replicant halfbreeds who are less human than human.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:P9C8ynGMhHUJ:www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/%3Fid%3Dbladerunnersequel.htm+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

That is awesome! Maybe only us old guys showed to watch it, but then we went back and saw it again, bumping the box office.

#252 12 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wheeeeew........we're out of the woods.

Yesterday's box office totals hit $194 million, so BR2049 made a profit !!!!!!!

My guess is that the backers of the project see it as a break even or a loss. In Hollywood terms its a loss because they all feel like they should have invested in another Blart Mallcop movie and racked in the stupid cash. The only hope IMO for a future installment will be a pile of oscars and some private market frenzy, both of which are probably a toss up.

Its a real problem that hollywood and the era of superhero blockbusters have given them an expectation that the only movie worth spending money on, is one that will produce swimming pools of cash. That doesn't bode well for a movie that can proffit but not at that level.

#253 12 months ago

80% of movies lose money, so it's always good when an intelligent sci-fi move goes into the black during it's first run.

You of course need those Spiderman-10 blockbuster movies to float most of the others.

#254 12 months ago

I saw it last weekend, I'm a huge Blade Runner fan, not to mention Ridley Scott and set designer Cronenweth. But this one just missed the mark. I can't say why for sure. The storyline was too either too fantastic or not fantastic enough. The original lured you in with a simple but elegant premise; can androids be sentient beings? The new story was not in line with that simplicity, I guess it was too fantastic and helped break the 4th wall IMO. It was a fine movie but not a sequel and nowhere near the greatness of the first. I also have to say that Jared Leto was miscast in this role. I also think the captain which was played by Robin Wright was also miscast. The look of this movie was a bit off too, the neon jungle was badly lit in this one, the whole atmospheric look of the first was lost. Lastly, in this movie the AI projection would have served the story so much better if it was kept like a secret. I mean an android requiring love or companionship from a home appliance missed the mark of the first movie which portrayed them as slaves without feelings. I have a half dozen more gripes but I'll don't want to write a novel.

#255 12 months ago
Quoted from VacFink:

My guess is that the backers of the project see it as a break even or a loss. In Hollywood terms its a loss because they all feel like they should have invested in another Blart Mallcop movie and racked in the stupid cash. The only hope IMO for a future installment will be a pile of oscars and some private market frenzy, both of which are probably a toss up.
Its a real problem that hollywood and the era of superhero blockbusters have given them an expectation that the only movie worth spending money on, is one that will produce swimming pools of cash. That doesn't bode well for a movie that can proffit but not at that level.

You gotta have the box office (or, box office + other revenue such as disc/streaming) at least double the production cost before you can say it made a profit.

#256 12 months ago

Saw it for a third time tonight. Gets better with each showing.

#257 11 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was upset the opening week when I learned that IMAX shows were sold out for two weeks. Then, just two weeks afterwards, I was upset that my local theater had pulled all IMAX shows and all but two showtimes on regular screens.

I don't believe this was one of the most awesome movies ever made, but I nonetheless regret missing the chance to see it on IMAX.

#258 11 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Wow

Have to admit, my daughter’s boyfriend really liked it

But I actually enjoyed doing my Colonoscopy prep last night more than watching BR

About the same feeling though

#259 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But I actually enjoyed doing my Colonoscopy prep last night

But you’d be used to that feeling with all those NIBs you buy, Ice.

rd

#260 11 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

But you’d be used to that feeling with all those NIBs you buy, Ice.
rd

Good point RD. At least they put me to sleep while they plunged up my arse this am

It’s a wide open ankle grabbing dry run with Stern

The old pucker had nothing left to give by around 7 am. Rough ride

#261 11 months ago

$224 Million box office this morning.

"Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween" brings up the rear with $36 Million.

#262 11 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

$224 Million box office this morning.
"Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween" brings up the rear with $36 Million.

BR still has a long way to go. Hopefully it has staying power.

Boo 2 has a production budget of 25 million, with 35 million in worldwide so far. That's not looking good. That probably will lose money.

Happy Death Day has a production budget of 5 million, has pulled in 68 million so far. THAT'S how you make money! Someone is raking in millions on that one.

Jackie Chan's movie budget was 35 million, it has pulled in 118 million. That one is looking pretty good, should make some money.

Here's how to tank one: Suburbicon. Millions will be lost on that one.

#263 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow
But I actually enjoyed doing my Colonoscopy prep last night more than watching BR

Colonoscopy?? Try using colorguard.

#264 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow

Just had my first colonoscopy a few weeks ago. The dr. told my wife I was a perfect asshole. Don't have to go back for 10 years.

#265 11 months ago

I'm going to watch it again this week probably. While I can catch it on the big screen easy.

Less human than human loved that.

1 month later
#266 10 months ago

(Posted this on the O/T section of board, was not aware of this discussion going on so reposted over here)

Finally got around to catching Blade Runner 2049 and since we are debating The Last Jedi thought I'd throw down a few thoughts.

Will try to keep spoilers to a minimum, there is at least one really good curve ball I did not see coming!

My initial thoughts are the movie is a worthy successor to the original.

The actors were all outstanding, who knew Gosling could be a serious actor? The supporting cast was superb; Jared Leto, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks even Dave Bautista all turn in outstanding performances. As far as the acting goes my only question would be in regards to Harrison Ford whom I'm not sure if he is actually channeling the character Deckard or is just playing typical grumpy Harrison Ford. Still a good turn for him in a role he hated, he does manage to put some emotion on screen time to time. Again, not sure if playing stoic Deckard or grumpy Ford.

Edward James Olmos return as Gaff was a welcome surprise. Leto and Ana were captivating and always a treat when on screen. Some genuinely riveting moments is all I'll say. Sylvia Hoeks role was interesting and well done. If I had a quibble with casting it would have been nice to see Rutger Hauer in a cameo in some capacity. He was a replicant after all and as far as I'm concerned pretty much dominated every scene he was in the original movie. A specific nod to "Roy Batty" would have been awesome since he contributed so much to the original.

The plot- The plot is a little bare in spots but moves right along, too much luck in some chain of events IMHO and some of the plot points were slightly weak. Still for current Hollywood fare it was fairly solid and a second viewing might make me revise that opinion. Like the original you might spot something you missed the first time around and pick up additional subtext with a repeat viewing. There is a lot of subtle stuff going on at times! Action scenes were well done and dialogue was generally good with only one or two odd lines.. by Ford. Intentional to reflect his situation? Perhaps.

One measure I use to tell if a movie has lost pacing or grip on the audience is if I check my watch during viewing, I can recall only doing so once and the 2.5+ hours moved smartly along. Some surprises were in store.. all I'll say is the proffered bribe to a character towards the back half of the movie was outstanding, totally unexpected and well done.

I can't say if the movie stands alone without the prior entry, I'm all too familiar with Blade Runner (1982) after at least a half dozen viewings to offer a really objective opinion. I'd like to say yes as they do a foreword explaining some prior events, but not sure if it is enough for new audiences. I'd say watching the first would improve the experience, the movie has a lot of subtext going for it.

The music- Very evocative of the original movie while not a direct copy, it was well used and well done.

Visuals- The world of Blade Runner 2049 has a futuristic dystopian look to it much like the original but something is missing. Again, as a stand alone movie without prior viewing of the first movie I think a new viewer would find it acceptable but compared to the original there is some element of atmosphere and visuals that are missing from the picture.

The special effects are crisp and well done but they can't hold a candle to the overall visuals in Blade Runner. Ridley Scott for all his current failings as a weak storyteller (Prometheus and Covenant for example) his visuals are generally SUPERB and BR:2049 while evocative of the original just doesn't pull it off in my honest opinion. There is just something missing I can't put my finger on. The sets and props were great reflecting the worn and battered world of BR:2049 but some aspect of visuals was just not there as the original. Denis Villeneuve does an decent job directing here but I see nothing in his fairly short list of 9 movies that jumps out as spectacular or even memorable.

Well worth viewing if you enjoy a movie with some meat on its bones or a fan of the original.

Trivia- The Millennium Falcon makes a cameo in the original movie.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/little-known-sci-fi-fact-millennium-falcon-appeared-blade-runner

#267 10 months ago

As of yesterday (boxing day) Blade Runner 2049 is now available for purchase on iTunes, Google Play Store etc...

1 week later
#268 9 months ago

I tried to advance buy it, but can't find it anywhere in 3D.....

#269 9 months ago

Box Office totals for BR2049 is now up to $258.2 million, finally beat Alien Covenant @ $240 million

https://www.google.com/search?q=blade+runner+2049+box+office&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

#270 9 months ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I tried to advance buy it, but can't find it anywhere in 3D.....

Best Buy has the Blu-ray/Blu-ray 3D/Digital package for $29.99.

#271 9 months ago

Thanks! I'll go get it now!

#272 9 months ago

I pre-ordered the 4k version from Amazon.

1 week later
#273 9 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I pre-ordered the 4k version from Amazon.

Arrived today...loaded with extras also. Can't wait to check it all out.

#274 9 months ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Arrived today...loaded with extras also. Can't wait to check it all out.

Curious how many deleted scenes there are

#275 9 months ago
Quoted from Stones:

Curious how many deleted scenes there are

Don't see deleted scenes but here are the extras:

Behind-the-scenes featurettes

Designing the World of Blade Runner 2049

To Be Human: Casting Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner 101: Blade Runners

Blade Runner 101: The Replicant Evolution

Blade Runner 101: The Rise of Wallace Corp

Blade Runner 101: Welcome to 2049

Blade Runner 101: Joi

Blade Runner 101: Within the Skies

Prologue films

2036: Nexus Dawn

2048: Nowhere to Run

2022: Black Out

#276 9 months ago

Wow, a lot of background. Have to pick up a copy this weekend

#277 9 months ago

Got the 4K, DVD, Blu Ray 3D today!

#278 9 months ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Got the 4K, DVD, Blu Ray 3D today!

Ordered mine today!

#279 9 months ago

Blade Runner The Final Cut 4 disc set - 4K UHD $19.99

amazon.com link »

#280 9 months ago

I held out - and finally watched it last night. I was impressed. Add me to the list of folks who loved the original, and thought this was a very worthy successor. Looking forward to seeing it again.

3 months later
#281 5 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just went and saw 2049.
Thought it was great.
Having seen the original Final Cut only two weeks ago, it was fresh in my mind.
I liked how 2049 carried on the theme almost spot on. Similar pacing (slighter faster than the original) Same cityscapes and Japanese imagery in the cities. Cool nod to Atari in one scene. 2049s music carried on the same theme as Vangelis did in the original.
Not once did I look at my watch ...
And nobody walked out.
I can understand that not everyone is going to like it. In the same way I don't like a lot of popular movies. Everyone has their personal tastes. Embrace them!
rd

Just watched it on Blu-ray the other night. Big fan of the original (it's in my Top 10 all time favorite films). I agree with RD here. I do have some criticisms of the film, but overall, I found it to be extremely enjoyable, especially the imagery/cinematography and I thought the music was an excellent complement to Vangelis' work on the original.

Like the original, it really pulled me into it's world. I rented the Blu-ray via Netflix, but this one is worth owning IMO.

#282 5 months ago
Quoted from RobT:

but this one is worth owning IMO.

Plus all the "extras" are pretty good. I thought the prologue short films actually enhanced my enjoyment of the main film.

#283 5 months ago

We got it in 4k. Absolutely gorgeous.

#284 5 months ago

I rarely watch movies a second time, but I’m looking forward to watching 2049 again at some stage.

Jezzzzz ... I might even buy the blu-ray!

rd

#285 5 months ago

I watched the bluray a few weeks ago on my 65" plasma. The whole package was amazing. The movie totally stands up to a second viewing. You notice things you didn't the first and because you know where the plot is headed you appreciate it on a different level.

Love it.

The prequels were interesting too.

A modern classic.

#286 5 months ago

I watched a pirated stream through my 10-year old Macbook, with an HDMI cable hooked up to an aging 42-inch plasma while sitting in my ratty old La-Z-boy. I watched it late at night and fell asleep, and watched the rest of it the next day. There are other details of the viewing but I've probably told you all enough.

It was pretty good. I kinda forgot the plot already so it couldn't be THAT good. I think I'll watch it again sometime. Maybe on a plane.

Maybe I'm not steeped enough in Blade Runner lore...but...uh...I always thought they were robots, rather than organic. I guess you learn something new every 30 years or so.

#287 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe I'm not steeped enough in Blade Runner lore

Clearly

#288 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I watched a pirated stream through my 10-year old Macbook, with an HDMI cable hooked up to an aging 42-inch plasma while sitting in my ratty old La-Z-boy. I watched it late at night and fell asleep, and watched the rest of it the next day. There are other details of the viewing but I've probably told you all enough.
It was pretty good. I kinda forgot the plot already so it couldn't be THAT good. I think I'll watch it again sometime. Maybe on a plane.
Maybe I'm not steeped enough in Blade Runner lore...but...uh...I always thought they were robots, rather than organic. I guess you learn something new every 30 years or so.

Man you just hit every single one of my buttons! lol

Watching an audio-visual masterpiece such as this on an airplane...

...a well crafted knife through my heart. Well done sir. Now bugger off!

#289 5 months ago

Well like...when was this revealed, before they started getting pregnant and shit?

I don't remember anybody in the original movie saying these things were organic. They are "replicants," and their eyes were designed by some dude in chinatown. They are artificial - like robots. Terminators.

Now they are just like us, but replicated? How did I miss this shit?!!

And don't say it was in a fucking comic book or something, that doesn't count.

#290 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well like...when was this revealed, before they started getting pregnant and shit?

How about when he blew holes in them and blood went everywhere in the original?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't remember anybody in the original movie saying these things were organic. They are "replicants," and their eyes were designed by some dude in chinatown. They are artificial - like robots. Terminators.

replicants...Tyrell Corporations tagline - "More Human than Human". Artificial yes...robot terminators...no. They never even implied that.

#291 5 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now they are just like us, but replicated? How did I miss this shit?!!

Are you sure that you actually watched the original?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
£ 32.00
$ 8,500.00
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 68.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside