(Topic ID: 167060)

Blacksun's Metallica Premium - Modding it up!

By Blacksun

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image.jpeg

#1 7 years ago

Greetings fellow Pinsiders,

I just received on Friday a NIB Stern, Metallica Premium Monsters Edition. I can't say enough how great this game is and how much my family and I are enjoying it. It is my first NIB pin! Before ordering I was going back and forth between 3-4 different Stern games and settled on Metallica.

Doesn't hurt I am a HUGE Metallica fan...

Before ordering I did quite a bit of research and reading here on the Pinside forums. Getting different opinions on the machine and looking how others modded and customized their machines. I was totally blown away as to how much you can actually do! After a few weeks of lurking in the shadows I decided I should post a comprehensive list of all the mods I purchased and provide feedback on Installation, Impact of Mod and Customer Service (if needed).

I did install a ColorDMD day 1, actually right after I powered the machine on to make sure it worked... LoL and I have to say I am VERY impressed with what a difference it makes! WELL worth the money as it is the most expensive mod I bought. It was extremely easy to install and update. I watched the install videos before hand to get a sense as to what to expect and then referenced the installed PDF from their site. I will post pics and a brief write up later in this thread...

Here is the list of what's on order and inbound, as of today... as I get them installed I will update.

Mod Name:

- INSTALLED - Metallica Pre Stern ColorDMD with Pinbits Clear Shield and Mounting Standoffs for New Stern Cabinets
- Metallica Pro Stern Custom Deluxe Interactive LED Backbox Kit
- Speaker Light Kit 9
- METALLICA Stars SLK Acrylic Set
- METALLICA HAMMER LED MOD (Red)
- Shaker Motor Stern, Red Tremor
- Metallica Pinball Sparky 2-Wire Electrocution Helmet - Purple/Blue
- Metallica Pinball Snake Mod - Premium/LE
- Pinball Trough Lighting Kit - Purple
- Sparky Shooter Rod
- Metallica Snake Mouth LED- Premium/LE - Snake Mouth Plus Mystery Hole- 1 connection
- Metallica Pinball Snake Mouth Decal
- Interactive Pinball Under-Cabinet Lighting Kits - Metallica Pro/Premium
- Metallica Pinball Gel Inserts - Metallica Gels- Green Fuel
- Metallica Fuel Target Back Light - Premium / Red
- Metallica Pinball Plastic Protectors - Orange
- Metallica Pinball Snake Fangs Mod
- Stern Pinball Flame Gate Assembly Cover × 2
- Pinnovators - PINsub SAM Stern Kit
- Pinnovators - PINsmx Passive Subwoofer mixer
- HankScorpio – MET LED Insert Mod
- Stern Newton Ball Assembly
- Stern White Rollover Drop Target With 0.468" Wide Top
- BriteButtons™ Illuminated Flipper Button Set For Stern White Star & SAM System Machines - Purple
- PinGuard Ball Shooter Lane Kickout Protector Kit For Stern Machines
- Metallica Shooter Eject Protector
- Chrome side blades

As a new Metallica Premium owner not knowing everything that is out there if you see anything I am missing or insight on installation please respond! I am on the fence about ordering Pinball Refinery's Custom Powder coated armor. A friend suggested getting some protection around the flipper buttons to help keep the cabinet art nice. This machine is for home use and I need to recover from what I just bought!!!

#2 7 years ago

I think you nearly have them all.

You are missing some pinball refinery stuff. Their under cab lighting way better than Mezel. Side art and led lighting strips for when sparky gets it!
There are also mini guitars, crosses (pinball life).

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#3 7 years ago

Need to send sparky out for a paint job, easy to remove

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#4 7 years ago

Pics or none of it is true !!!

#5 7 years ago

Just received the pinball refinery armor kit and my powder coated coin door to match. Hope to get it installed Sunday morning!! Can't wait!! Bought their kit for my iron man and love the way the armor really makes the cabinet colors pop on both machines!! I would say as soon as you can, JUST DO IT!!

#6 7 years ago

The powder coated stuff is pretty sweet. Best thing I did to my pro is a colordmd. It's a little pricey but what a difference it makes.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Need to send sparky out for a paint job

Yup, yup. The Sparky sculpt is really awesome, but the paint job is pretty basic. It's a mass produced product that Stern needed to keep under a certain budget, it's fine for what it is, but a good custom paint job can really bring the figure to life. Give it even more personality, and also really up the custom factor of your game, because you can have it personalized.

Or paint it yourself if you've got a little model painting experience or just a steady hand. But there are people who will paint it for you for a fee, just ask around, ask to see some samples. Either way, if you like to mod games that should be a priority IMHO!

If you paint it yourself here are my personal tips:

- Use an acrylic spray primer (I like to use grey for this kind of paint job) to give yourself a proper base to paint on

- Use acrylic paints: any craft store will have a broad selection of little bottles. Keep in mind the simple formula: the cheaper the paint, the less pigment it has, the worse it's covering power is. So don't cheap out on your base colors, spend the extra buck or two for the nicer paints. It will avoid streaks and having to keep recoating.

- If you have model painting experience you might know these, if not here are two things you should look up, will take your paint job up a level, and they're easy. Look up how to use a technique called "dry brushing", and also how to make "model ink wash". Dry brushing brings out hilights by only coating raised surfaces, and ink washes settle down into crevices. Combining the two brings out detail in the sculpt, and adds depth.

- Coat it with a matte clear after you're done painting, Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover is a good one. Matte will make your paint job feel more real in the skin and clothes etc, not glossy and toy-like. You want the electric chair to look like wood, not the polished interior of a Cadillac. And of course it's also there to protect the paint.

- When you're at the hobby store see if they have a little bottle of gloss medium. That's a transparent base for mixing color into. Skip mixing color into it, and paint it directly on over the matte clear, on his eyeballs, on his tongue, anything you want to have a shine that will give them a wet look.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Best thing I did to my pro is a colordmd. It's a little pricey but what a difference it makes.

I admit I glazed eyed that list and didn't read it all, so I assumed this was in there I guess. You gotta have the ColorDMD.

ColorDMD is amazing on this game. It's got IMHO the best dots animation Stern has ever done, and in color it's even better.

#9 7 years ago

#10 7 years ago

Glad I stumbled on your posting. Just bought a NIB Premium as well but won't have it for awhile until drop off is arranged.

Your list is real handy so thanks for posting. Can you add where you're buying those mods from? Appreciated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy
Hardware
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blacksuns-metallica-premium-modding-it-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.