(Topic ID: 277024)

Blackout (sys 6) strange intermittent issues help

By Matthew2000tx

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a 1980 Williams Blackout (williams system 6) that I have had since October 2019.

Issue 1: It's been running great until about a month ago it starting booting without controlled Play field lights. A few flips of the power switch and it would boot up. Now I have the same thing happening with the GI lights on occasion and the displays. They sometimes don't work. I reseated all connectors.

Issue 2: It's got a remote battery holder and lately the game sometimes boots into audit mode. I've checked batteries and connection to MPU it seems to be good. Still when game is unplugged it loses memory.

Issue 3: This started today (9/8/2020). The voice board is not working when game is playing however if I hit the diagnostic button on the sound card all sounds and voice flies play as they should.

Issue 4: ones digit in player 1 and 3 flickers and sometimes is not lit then if I leave the machine on it's starts working like it should.

I believe the 40 pin was replaced last year my tech who refurbished the machine but I'm not sure. I have an extra one so I think I can replace. Is that where I should start with?

#2 3 years ago

I think I would start with verifying the voltages are good and clean from the power supply board, then check the voltage at the test point on the MPU board to verify the voltage from the remote battery holder is getting onto the board. (TP7)

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I think I would start with verifying the voltages are good and clean from the power supply board, then check the voltage at the test point on the MPU board to verify the voltage from the remote battery holder is getting onto the board. (TP7)

Thanks TP7 is where to measure that?

#5 3 years ago

TP7 is the test point to make sure the CMOS has voltage to save settings. Just checking at the battery doesn't do it - if you want to get adventurous, you could check the voltage on the leg of the RAM, but there's no reason to, yet. The test point is easier.

You should have 3.9 VDC with the machine off, and 4.3VDC with the machine on.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Pulled the power supply from the game to inspect it and noticed C15 the large filter capacitor in the 5V section is puffy and discolored on one end. So I think that is the culprit with the random issues I'm having. If not it's obvious that it needs to be replaced so just ordered a rebuild kit for power supply. It looks like my power supply had the caps in the 100v section replaced but the rest look original. Also noticed some of the pins on the connectors at the top of the power supply (5 volt section) are bent and it was a pain to get that wiring harness off. So I'll be replacing that as well.

And I just verified I have NO Voltage on TP7 so that is the issue. I think now I need to decide do I fix that are just install NVRAM.

#7 3 years ago

I recommend the NVRAM.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

I recommend the NVRAM.

Just ordered it from Pinitech

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-sys-6-strange-intermittent-issues-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.