Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Brijam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

The sound was working on my Blackout, then it stopped working for about a week. Then it started working again. Tonight it was working fine... before I cleverly decided to do an LED upgrade. Now I have very pretty lights... but the sound doesn't work. Sigh.

When I turn it on, the speaker clicks. So, it isn't the speaker. I've tried the test button on the sound board, once or twice out of several presses of the test button I heard a click through the speaker. All the fuses are good. I didn't disturb the pot while I was adding the lights (as far as I know). I didn't open the backbox until the sound stopped working.

#2 7 years ago

If all the voltages are good, then try and scope out the 6821PIA.

#3 7 years ago

I don't know how to do that. Is there a resource somewhere that would explain how I would scope out a 6821PIA?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I don't know how to do that. Is there a resource somewhere that would explain how I would scope out a 6821PIA?

O.K. Now I assume you are an electronic neophyte.
Have someone who has the electronic expertise in your
area. Buy a logic probe. Buy a scope. Take electronic courses
at your closest college. Have someone who knows what
they are doing fix your board. It could be a bad connection on the board
terminals. It could be a bad connection between the vocalizer board and the
soundboard, did you re-seated the connection? Etc, etc, etc.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks - I've had an electronics course and I know how to use a DMM and solder, read schematics and things like that, but I've never used an oscilloscope. I'd be inclined to send a bad board out for repair or buy a new one rather than buy a scope and spend the hours to fix it myself. I'm trying to rule out everything else before I do that, though.

I did try re-seating the connector between the speech board and the sound board and that didn't help.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Thanks - I've had an electronics course and I know how to use a DMM and solder, read schematics and things like that, but I've never used an oscilloscope. I'd be inclined to send a bad board out for repair or buy a new one rather than buy a scope and spend the hours to fix it myself. I'm trying to rule out everything else before I do that, though.
I did try re-seating the connector between the speech board and the sound board and that didn't help.

this may sound ridiculous but test all the switches. a stuck switch in the closed position will kill the sound. happened on my blackout and sorcerer

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Thanks - I've had an electronics course and I know how to use a DMM and solder, read schematics and things like that, but I've never used an oscilloscope.

Maybe it's time to take a 2nd electronics course....

#8 7 years ago

I'm going with you possibly have bad sockets. I just fixed a blackout that had sound but no speech. I replaced all the junk scanbe sockets on the soundboard and it worked perfect ever since.

#9 7 years ago

I had a issue with my Sorcerer. Sound would work some days and not at all others. I checked the solder joints on the back of the soundboard pins. Had a few joints that were cold. Worked again for a day and thought it was fixed. It wasn't. Had a cold joint on the power supply too. And that did it. Been working ever since. It's easy to do so look at the back of the boards.

#10 7 years ago

Fractured solder joints on the back side of that sound board are often an issue.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#11 7 years ago

The pot is good, and I cleared all the switches. The drop target coils aren't working right, but I will try and swap out the sound board with another one I have and see if that fixes it.

#12 7 years ago

When I reseated the speech board connector on the sound board the sound came back, so I'm thinking either a new cable or the connector needs to be resoldered is the real issue. Sockets are not scanbe thank goodness.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-sound-sometimes-it-works-sometimes-it-doesnt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.