Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So blackout is getting intermitant wrong sounds and callouts. Like says orbit complete when hit red drops, and several others. Replaced roms and lost all sound. Replaced soundboard crystal and put original rom back in and worked for a day then back to intermintant jumbled sounds. The sound mix up is consistant, - doesn't spout random stuff, either works right or sends the same wrong sounds out. Checked all obvious stuff and out of ideas. Any help?

#2 11 years ago

Check for broken solder joints on sound board 10J3 (next to dips) and CPU 1J8 (UR corner).

Re-punch all wires in 10P3 and 1P8. If that solves your problem, RIP AND REPLACE 10P3 and 1P8. (Re-punching is a temporary fix!)

Post edited by TheKorn : J's are for pins, Ps are for plugs.

#3 11 years ago

Check for bad IC sockets on the speech board.Did you see a little "scanbe"on the sockets when you changed the roms?If so you need to replace the sockets,also the data link cable between the main sound board and the speech board could be gving you problems.My blackout has scanbe sockets.There should be one empty ROM socket on the speech board,have a close look and see if you can see a very tiny "scanbe" on the socket.If so you need to replace them.It's a miracle they have worked this long.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from TheKorn:

Check for broken solder joints on sound board 10J3 (next to dips)

One of the first things I did, board is incredably clean and nice -looks new, all solder joints nice and shiny and header pins clean & firm.

Quoted from jukehero1:

Check for bad IC sockets on the speech board.

Did this as well, get good solid grip on all pins and solid continuity from IC to board (checked em all).

Thanks for the tips, but as I said, already checked all the usual suspects.

Quoted from TheKorn:

Re-punch all wires in 10P3 and 1P8. If that solves your problem, RIP AND REPLACE 10P3 and 1P8.

That one I havn't tried yet, will give it a go...

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

One of the first things I did, board is incredably clean and nice -looks new, all solder joints nice and shiny and header pins clean & firm.

Admittedly I'm being a little pedantic here, but that doesn't really guarantee anything. Cracked solder joints can be very difficult to spot with the naked eye. Much easier to spot with medium magnification, and a dead giveaway is when you heat the joint and an outer ring liquifies while the center doesn't.

(...but you're *probably* right that they're *probably* fine if the board is in very very good shape otherwise. Just not guaranteed without looking VERY hard at the joints.)

#6 11 years ago

Another way to think about cracked solder joints is; that if you already have the solder gun out for some other repair (caps, sockets, diodes), it only takes a second to hit those connector pins again...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-sound-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.