(Topic ID: 249893)

Blackout (System 6)- 2p-5 on the driver board? Does it go anywhere?

By ChadTower

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2p-5 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

I always replace both sides of the 40 pin. The plating on the pins go bad just as easily as the other side.

What have you done to the power supply board to restore it? Could be a cold solder joint or a weak 5v regulator that when the draw of the sound board pulls the transformer voltage just low enough to cause issues.

Does the sound board work on the bench. Does it have proper fuses?

#4 4 years ago

Before you replace the 5V regulator, loosen the mounting nuts, wiggle the regulator and securely tighten it back down and see if that changes anything. The mounting screws and nuts are part of the circuit.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

Interesting result here. I put the original sound board back in. Put the temp 8ohm speaker in to test the sound. Not only is the sound board 100% now but the game seems to be stable. I didn't cycle any connectors except those on the sound board putting the original back in. The only system change is the temp speaker.
Is it possible the original speaker has been just about to die all along and was causing the sound amp to pull too much current to drive it? What sort of reading would I take on that speaker to support that theory? I can't seem to get any sort of useful impedance reading from it. 4ohm speakers in other games are all giving me around 3.7ohms taking the same measurement.

Anything is possible. I would think that if it was drawing enough power to pull the transformer winding down, it would have blown the fuses on the sound board.

#9 4 years ago

Did you try re-seating the socketed chips (CPU, ROMs, etc)? Have you ever replaced the single wipe sockets?

1 month later
#13 4 years ago

Awesome! Glad you got it up and running reliably!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-sound-board-crashing-whole-game?tu=Schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.