(Topic ID: 303101)

Blackout- kickout TOO HARD! How to turn it down?

By dyopp21

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Usually I'm wanting more power out of a coil, but in this case the outhole kicker in my recently restored Blackout is kicking out so hard the ball is smacking the glass. Any tricks on getting it to chill out some?

Thanks all!
Yopp

#2 2 years ago

Is it the right size coil for outhole kicker? You can try adjusting the leaf switch as well so that it barely makes contact when the ball is in the outhole.

#3 2 years ago

It's the right coil winding, but it is an SA-23-850-DC when a SG-23-850-DC is called for. I thought the first couple of letters had to do with form factor only and wouldn't make a difference in strength. Also, I'm not sure that making the contact barely touch would make a difference. It's digital, correct? It's either a 1 or a 0, no matter how lightly it touches. Once it gets the signal that the switch is closed it's still gonna slam the ball out the eject and into the glass (which is fun only in that it scares the shit out of people).

I'm thinking I may be able to put a "lesser" coil in it and see how that does.

#4 2 years ago

the letter prefix is related to the bobbin the winding is on.

you could try adding a say....3 ohm 5 watt resistor in series to the coil.

so remove the power wire, the one that connects to banded end of the diode lug and add the resistor, maybe using alligator leads in case 3 ohms is little or not enough. You will notice the ball won't kick out as hard, but may still be too hard so you will need to increase the value slightly, or if it doesn't kick out hard enough drop to a 2.2 ohm.

in essence you are creating a voltage drop across the resistor that wont be across the coil.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

the letter prefix is related to the bobbin the winding is on.
you could try adding a say....3 ohm 5 watt resistor in series to the coil.
so remove the power wire, the one that connects to banded end of the diode lug and add the resistor, maybe using alligator leads in case 3 ohms is little or not enough. You will notice the ball won't kick out as hard, but may still be too hard so you will need to increase the value slightly, or if it doesn't kick out hard enough drop to a 2.2 ohm.
in essence you are creating a voltage drop across the resistor that wont be across the coil.

I'm pretty sure I have that resistor here already. I'll give it a try and report back. Thank you SO much for the guidance.
Yopp.

#6 2 years ago

your welcome,
you can start with a 1.5 ohm, whatever you have on hand, in changing the value of the resistor you will notice a difference in the power of the ball being kicked out, by your description i suggested starting with 3 ohm, if it doesn't kick the ball out at all, then the value is too high.

#7 2 years ago

I’m sure you considered this but is the kicker arm mushroomed? Maybe that is causing the ball to be shot upwards instead of outwards.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m sure you considered this but is the kicker arm mushroomed? Maybe that is causing the ball to be shot upwards instead of outwards.

I took the mech apart and cleaned, nothing looked out of place. I'll take another look when I get out to the shop.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I took the mech apart and cleaned, nothing looked out of place. I'll take another look when I get out to the shop.

Yeah just the tip of the kicker arm. Should have a nice point on it if it’s like any other saucer lockout Williams used for ages. I hat a funhouse where the trough fired the balls into the glass. That sucker was flattened down big time.

2 years later
#10 3 months ago

Did this ever get resolved? I am currently having the same issue with a Blackout that I recently purchased. Was it the wrong coil, was the kicker arm flattened out? Thanks in advance for any guidance. dyopp21

#11 3 months ago

Put a weaker coil in better than adding resistor which will get really hot

23-1200 would be a good starting point.

#12 3 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

I appreciate the reply. What is frustrating is I have the correct coil installed, per the owners manual. I agree that adding resistors isn't ideal, and replacing the current coil with a weaker one would be the better option, but I am just curious what might have caused this. What are the odds that the diode on the coil is burned out or not working properly? Thanks again for the reply my friend!

#13 3 months ago

Odds of diode bad is nil if it's bad it would burn out transistor on activation.

Williams used the same coils as much as possible around this era not necessarily the correct ones. Really the guide that's above the eject hole should help guide it away from the glass you sure it's not bent out of shape?

#14 3 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

sed the same coils as much as possible around this era not necessarily the correct ones

Yeah I figured a bad diode would be a shot in the dark. I did mess with the guide a little to see if I could make it direct the ball so it wouldn't hit the glass, but I was unsuccessful. I think my best, and probably only option, is to do what you suggested out of the gate and go with the weaker coil. Thank you for your help and guidance! Really appreciate it.

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

I agree on the 23-1200. But a 4.7 ohm (or maybe 3.3 ohm) 5 watt resistor should also work. It will not get hot since the coil pulse is short and not frequent.

#16 3 months ago

Ball kicking hard:

Remove cushion spring on kicker assembly, Make sure plates 1 and 2 move freely on the hinge pin.

No?
Clean and lubricate

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
#17 3 months ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Ball kicking hard:
Remove cushion spring on kicker assembly, Make sure plates 1 and 2 move freely on the hinge pin.
No?
Clean and lubricate
[quoted image]

Great feedback! I was able to resolve the issue. I removed the spring and the plates moved freely, so it was not gummed up or anything like that. All I did was stretch the spring a little and that did the trick. It now gently pops out of the saucer, as I believe it should.

I was making it harder than it should have been but I had tunnel vision and was convinced it was the coil. I can't thank the community enough for all the help and ideas.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-kickout-too-hard-how-to-turn-it-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.