Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I finally have some time to devote to a recently purchased Blackout that won't play. The machine is in excellent shape but I have a problem, I can't get into adjustment mode or start a game. When I use the auto up/manual down switch and the advance button all I can do is get the display system to display all 1's and so on to all 9's. I've read the procedure over and over again in different resources but my machine won't let me in. I have a Stellar Wars right next to it that allows me to access that feature, so I know how to do it. When I start the machine I get a loud hum that quickly goes away, 600,000 shows up in player one's box, all the plafield lights work and are cycling, and if I wait long enough the machine says blackout. If anyone has some suggestions to point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

#2 7 years ago

I had the exact same problem with my Blackout. Turned out to be a bad connector where the special switch wiring plugs into the CPU board (J4). The "Up/Down" switch signal was not making it to the board.

I would inspect the toggle switch on the coin door to ensure the wiring looks good. With the machine off, reseat the molex connector at the coin door, at the harness where the wires enter the head and at the CPU board (J4 - the rightmost 4 pin connector at the upper left corner of the CPU board).

If that all checks out, try shorting the 2 wires on the toggle switch (I used a wire with alligator clips on both ends) and start the diagnostics procedure. With the toggle switch shorted, it should go into settings and you will know you have a bad switch. If it still cycles through display diagnostics, you have a wiring, connector or board issue.

#3 7 years ago

I tried everything you suggested and had the same result. Thank you for your help, now I have some idea where to go from here.

#4 7 years ago

Do you have a logic probe or a meter? We can confirm if it is wiring or board issue if you do.

Did you try manually adding a credit to see if that will allow a game to start?

#5 7 years ago

With the game on, measure the voltage at pin 13 of IC28 on the CPU board. IC28 is a resistor matrix just below J6 near the top, center of the board. Pin 13 should be second from the bottom on the left side of the chip.

Switch the UP/Down coin door switch to the other position and measure again.

If you get 0V in one switch position and 5V in the other, you have a board problem (the board is not reacting properly to the switch setting).

If you get 5V in both switch positions, you have a switch, wiring or connector problem.

#6 7 years ago

I tried everything you suggested. Coin does nothing. I'm not getting continuity from the switch to the board and I'm not getting proper voltage from pin 13. So at this point the switch and the board aren't looking good.

#7 7 years ago

Is the high score reset button a normally closed or open switch?

#8 7 years ago

Normally open. There are pull-up resistors on the board that will make the header pins read 5V if the switches are open. When closed, the switches ground the inputs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.