(Topic ID: 336801)

Blackout game sounds: mapping 5x inputs to list of game sounds/speech?

By Ohmbrew

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Inkochnito
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 months ago

Hello!

I'm doing a re-theme based on Williams' Blackout (1980, System 6). I'm replacing the game's audio with a custom solution that takes the 5x solenoid inputs and wire those to a 5-32 demux, then route those outputs to 1 or more "MP3 Trigger" boards. I have all the schematics for the game, but I'm having trouble finding the details regarding how the 5 inputs map to various sounds or speech in the game. I'm basically looking for a list that has "action on playfield" mapped to whatever sound or speech callout should be played. I can probably brute force this once the game is in my hands, but I don't have it yet, and I want to get started on this now.

Does anyone have this info? TIA!

Greg

#2 11 months ago

You can do that in pinmame ahead of time.
Some of the outputs do more than one thing on the sound board or speech as they are sent successively, but that shouldn't matter since the sound ROM is what processes that.

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from Ohmbrew:

Hello!
I'm doing a re-theme based on Williams' Blackout (1980, System 6). I'm replacing the game's audio with a custom solution that takes the 5x solenoid inputs and wire those to a 5-32 demux, then route those outputs to 1 or more "MP3 Trigger" boards. I have all the schematics for the game, but I'm having trouble finding the details regarding how the 5 inputs map to various sounds or speech in the game. I'm basically looking for a list that has "action on playfield" mapped to whatever sound or speech callout should be played. I can probably brute force this once the game is in my hands, but I don't have it yet, and I want to get started on this now.
Does anyone have this info? TIA!
Greg

Isn't sounds triggered via software via the data bus for the sound? Sounds are triggered software wise via the buss to the sound card.

Sound cues are often triggered via software rules.

You must be crossing the wires and talking about gottlieb system 1.

#4 11 months ago

System 7 does data bus. System 6 and earlier triggers via solenoid drive transistors.

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can do that in pinmame ahead of time.
Some of the outputs do more than one thing on the sound board or speech as they are sent successively, but that shouldn't matter since the sound ROM is what processes that.

I'm not as familiar with pinmame. Do I need to get a copy of the Blackout ROM and open it up with pinmame?

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Isn't sounds triggered via software via the data bus for the sound? Sounds are triggered software wise via the buss to the sound card.
Sound cues are often triggered via software rules.
You must be crossing the wires and talking about gottlieb system 1.

From all the research I've done, Williams System 6 activates sound/speech via 5 solenoid driver lines. I've designed a PCB to decode those 5x lines and activate 1 of 31 trigger lines on 2x MP3 Triggers.

#7 11 months ago

Well, I grabbed an old Teensy and wrote a quick program to send the 5x signal status to the PC whenever the signals change. I'll just build the map manually via brute force. Only 31 combinations...

#8 11 months ago

There are 7 input pins on the System 6-7 sound board.
These inputs are connected to ground to activate the sound call.
Every combination can produce a sound.
It is just a "binairy" input selection.

You can test the sounds by putting the sound board on your bench.
Use a computer power supply to supply the ground, -12V and +12V.
Connect the wires to connector J1.
Put +12V wire on J1-1 and -12V on J1-8 and ground on pin J1-5.
Bridge connector J4-1 and J4-2 with a 470 ohm resistor for volume.
Connect an 8 ohm speaker to J2-2 and J2-3.
When you switch on the power you can ground each pin at J3.
Not every combination of grounded pins is used in the game.
I know there is a pin to cut the sound.
An other combination is to activate the background sound.
Just play around, you can't go wroung with a ground wire to touch J3-pins.

Peter

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-game-sounds-mapping-5x-inputs-to-list-of-game-sounds-speech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.