Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4190180.JPG
P4190177.JPG
bobgf.jpg
bobgb.jpg
fire-power.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kzooandy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Just picked up a non-working Blackout for $200. No Backglass (broken glass in backbox, probably smashed) but the playfield looks like very low use, not much "dust" or darkness on the underside, I would guess indicating it is a low hours machine. I actually bought it thinking it would make a good donor backbox for my FirePower, but now I'm thinking it simply needs to be repaired. It appears to be quite complete, and perhaps not far from working.
It had ridiculous long (tall) legs on it which put the flippers at about elbow level (I'm about 5'11") and it seemed just too leggy, will be seeking the proper length legs. I like to hunch and lean a little on my machines. Maybe the last owner was some tall Dutch woman from Holland MI (picked it up in Holland MI) Lol. Have you ever been to Holland MI? TALL women.

The PF lights... mostly and the displays light up, but no sound, and no boot sequence.

Will be looking for a decent backglass too. if nothing else, tons of Williams parts for $200. I think it's a candidate for restoration as the playfield looks very low mileage actually.
I don't think it has the WOW factor as Firepower, but looks like a fun drop target game. Seems reviews are very binary on it. Like it or leave it.

Andy

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hi Andy,
I seen that for sale on CL but didn't pursue it, congrats and making the deal happen. I checked my list of backglasses and I dont have and extra one. I do own that game however and its perfect for the first time players to understand. Actually I think it was like the 5th game in my collection.
Anyways, just thought I'd say hi as I dont think we've met before and were practically neighbors.
See you at the Zoo I'm sure.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Of course we've met John,
Got my Strikes and Spares and Firepower from you.
Got both at least kind of working i spend hours playing Strikes and Spares (needed some board resurrection), it's a great relaxing game.
I'm still bottom feeding and I see your Star Trek for sale but just cant pull the trigger yet. Gotta get all these others going. Going to do a full cabinet, backbox stencil etc on my Paragon. Really excited to get it going.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I saw that CL ad also. Sounds like a nice pickup for you!Was there a translite shown in the ad? Could you make a backglass with some clear glass if that was a translite shown?

It appears to be a printed mylar sheet, is this generally called a translite? I'm not famailiar with translite.
I could get a sheet of glass, or a blank backglass with lift rail.

The sheet seems somewhat dull compared to a real painted backglass, but it's certainly better than looking at the raw machine.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

Blackout was my first SS pin purchase and is always a good playing pin. I also have the paint issue on my back glass but somebody cleared it in place sometime in the past so I wont have to worry about further pealing for the near future. Do you get digits in the P1 display on powerup, it probably has dead batteries and is stuck in audit mode. You can quickly power cycle it a couple times or navigate the audit menu (I used to navigate to setting 30 and change the game play balls when mine would act up) then cycle off then on and the game should boot normally and be in attract mode. You may already know that but I figured I'd post in the event you did not. I someday hope to acquire a Firepower to place next to my Blackout.

Thanks
I haven't had time to run it through any tests yet, possibly this weekend I'll get to it.
It seems like all the displays worked with all digits, but not sure how it gets there. I fortunately have an almost 100% working Firepower, and I think I can do some parts swapping (boards) to troubleshoot what component may have problems. I'll start with the batteries and checking out the main MPU for obvious component problems.
I don't like doing the board swap thing because it seems the more you mess with this old stuff, handling it "one more time" finishes off a pin or something like that. I'll do the obvious checks too like header pins that need to be reflowed etc, as that is pretty easy, I think I saw just a couple wire hacks in the backbox too, so will investigate why those might be there.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. You pretty much have talked me off the cliff of "breaking it" into sub-parts just to have a better backbox for Firepower. It looks like it could be a fun game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kzooandy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-for-200?tu=Kzooandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.