• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

835869C5-8928-44AA-8C0B-A94F551BB1D1 (resized).jpeg
170FE483-6D79-4F78-BD8E-A55FEC11BDFE (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

The display on blackout started having missing segments on player 1,2 and the master. When I unplug the connector to the player 2 the other displays all start working fine.
When I unplug player 3 and plug in player 2 connector i now get the missing segments on 1,3 and master. I am thinking a bad resistor on the master display associated with the player 2?

(Btw in the photos it strobes so it looks
Like an entire one is out but it’s not)
Thanks

170FE483-6D79-4F78-BD8E-A55FEC11BDFE (resized).jpeg170FE483-6D79-4F78-BD8E-A55FEC11BDFE (resized).jpeg835869C5-8928-44AA-8C0B-A94F551BB1D1 (resized).jpeg835869C5-8928-44AA-8C0B-A94F551BB1D1 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

Bad display on player 2 may cause this.
The resistor of segments goes bad (burned) because of a bad display afaik...

#3 5 years ago

One of the resistors (or more) is bad on the main display board. Then you need to see which slave display is causing the over current that burned up the resistor and change the glass on that display.

Or replacing them all with LED displays and selling these to someone is an option too.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

One of the resistors (or more) is bad on the main display board. Then you need to see which slave display is causing the over current that burned up the resistor and change the glass on that display.
Or replacing them all with LED displays and selling these to someone is an option too.

Thanks. So it’s not just fixing what’s gone bad on the main? This is a sign that one of the displays is causing the issue and would likely happen again.? If that’s the case i May go with the led. Appreciate the input

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Thanks. So it’s not just fixing what’s gone bad on the main? This is a sign that one of the displays is causing the issue and would likely happen again.? If that’s the case i May go with the led. Appreciate the input

I had a friend much smarter than me help me with this issue on firepower. What happened was one of the displays was outgassing. That means it’s drawing too much current and it will burn out the display. What it started to do while outgassing is pull too much current through a couple resistors and burnt them up. Those resistors power the display segments.

He said if we just fixed the resistors it would happen again. So he had a spare working display, dropped that in as well as replace the resistors, and I didn’t have a problem after that.

#6 5 years ago

Superb display repair tutorial from Steve Kulpa here.......not sure how much of it translates to Williams games....

http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm

#7 5 years ago

Swap a good display from your firepower for the bad one on player 2. It should clear everything up and eliminate the master controller.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Superb display repair tutorial from Steve Kulpa here.......not sure how much of it translates to Williams games....
http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm

A totaly different system.
You can not compare with the way Williams did things.

#9 5 years ago

When I took the connector from the master that normally goes to 2 and plug it into 3 it does the same thing. From what others have said I assume that means there is a problem on the master.
If the 3 had worked normally then I would think the problem was the display 2..?
When the led comes I will pull it all and check the master for bad resistors

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmichael, CA
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-displays-missing-segments?hl=topkat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.