3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpg
F859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpeg
3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinistarx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago

I have one of the new PPS backglasses on order and am getting ready to strip the playfield for a full clean and wax before putting a playfield protector on it. This is my first pin, so I'm spending way more money on it than makes sense.

I've also installed the Rottendog 327 MPU, Rottendog power supply, and a Kohout sound board while I take time reconditioning the original boards.

Oh yeah, and I'm nearly finished with my LED conversion, have a new speaker to install, and will be replacing the volume pot and ancient power cable.

If I ever stop tinkering with it, I'll put a sticker on the inside that says "Orbit complete!" with the date I finished the core reconditioning.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

Anybody have the ability to scan their in good shape cabinet and send the scans to Jeff at Pinball Pimp to make stencils?
My Blackout's cabinet need a repaint, and nobody does stencils.
Jeff said he could do them if he had a scan, but mines not worthy of scanning.

I could probably do it if Jeff would seriously consider making the stencils. I have a few scuffs, but nothing that would stop the scanning process or impede his ability to clean them up.

13612278_10157210574350430_7163969970611394600_n (resized).jpg13612278_10157210574350430_7163969970611394600_n (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

I talked to Jeff about a year ago, and he said if someone could send him scans, he could/would do them.

Got in touch with Jeff and sent him the photo above. He says my cab is definitely good enough to scan for stencils, so I'm going to get the details from him on what will work best for the scanning grid and see if I can get something to him. I'm hoping he doesn't say the rails have to come off. UPDATE: Whew, no they don't.

He's sending me the scanning details, and I'll try to get it scanned and sent to him in the next week or two.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-blackout-repro-backglass
In case someone has been thinking about a PPS backglass and hasn't seen this ad...could save you a couple bucks.
(Not mine, just sharing)

Especially if shipping is less. I'm eagerly awaiting my repro and am curious as to whether or not some of the small mirrored details are in the new glass, specifically - portions of the gloves and details on the helmets that are mirrored on the original. Haven't been able to tell from photos of the repro whether or not those are still present. I do see some of that detailing on the umbilicals, though, so I'm optimistic.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

if you can highlight some of the areas with this problem I will check the glass and report back

I'll try to get a photo tonight that shows the original mirroring clearly, but the spots I'm talking about are noted in the attached image. I wouldn't call it a problem, really, but I didn't even notice the mirroring in these areas until I was taking photos for somebody interested in purchasing my original bg and was curious if the screening for the repros carried them forward.

blackout-details (resized).jpgblackout-details (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

I went home at lunch and checked over my PPS repro back glass, and can confirm mirroring in the helmet and glove areas.

Excellent! Thanks for checking!

1 month later
#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Gents
Any club members thinking of selling their Blackout? I'm interested if in or near PA.
Kris

Don't know if you're still looking, but this one popped up on Craigslist:

york.craigslist.org link

It looks exactly like one I played at the White Rose Gameroom Show in York just a few weeks ago. The flaking on the bottom of the backglass is admittedly awful, but the rest of the table worked well at the time.

Attached is a photo I took of the one at White Rose.

blackout-whiterose (resized).jpgblackout-whiterose (resized).jpg

#94 7 years ago

Interesting! The baffles for the lights in the backbox are very specifically shaped in the photo you posted. In mine, they're much less matched to the backglass, which drives me a little crazy sometimes. I don't have any good photos handy, but here is one I took while cleaning that shows some of the 1/2/3/4 player baffles. In the one you worked on, they're the same circle shape as the indicator on the glass. On mine, it's just a series of squares that end up bleeding light into the next player number.

14715683_10157607027015430_6888972535047104575_o (resized).jpg14715683_10157607027015430_6888972535047104575_o (resized).jpg

Did you create those baffles or were they already in there?

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

That was how the game arrived to me. It looks original as far as age and design. Yours almost look like an aftermarket addition. I am wondering if the original wood came off the backbox and those were added back. I have seen similar plastic pieces like that for sale.

Well, I'm now entranced with the better implementation. Guess it's time to finally learn that newfangled 3D printing everybody's excited about.

Oh sure, it'd be a lot easier to drill and cut a wood piece, but where's the fun in that?

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The one I worked on was square too, iirc. Maybe the rounded one is a sample?

What's interesting is that I spent the day at Pinhead Amusements in Bedford, PA on Saturday and they had a Xenon with the backbox open. I saw a woodcut baffle around some of the lights in there that was similar in style to what Lonzo showed.

1 week later
#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

What are the correct flipper bat and flipper rubber colors? Mine has yellow bats with yellow rubber but the brochure shows white bats with red rubbers.

Mine came with white bat/red rubber, and while I've been tempted to switch to yellow bat/black rubber, I decided against since I keep a copy of the flyer on the wall next to my Blackout. My bats also do not have the Williams logo on them, so I'm going to get a branded set.

But the desire to match some aspects of the original design didn't stop me from modifying the lighting. I put a green LED behind the green targets, red LEDs behind the red targets, and yellow LEDs behind the yellow targets, capped off with a color changer behind the kickout hole that cycles through green/yellow/red/blue/orange ... same colors as the inserts right next to the kickout hole.

I also put CoinTaker Afterburners in the pop bumpers which really make them look fantastic, though washes out the central art on the bumper caps.

So, if the goal is to get the machine back to original spec, you'll probably want to go with what is in the flyer. But if there's a voice in your head saying, "But it'd look cooler if...", just listen to it.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

SinistarX - how difficult was it to add a color changer behind the kickout hole and where did you purchase it? That's something I've always thought about adding, but haven't seen it done to a Blackout. Thanks.

Super simple. I just replaced the #44 incandescent already there with the color changer. I got mine from CoinTaker and went with the 44/Slow/Standard Flat variation.

http://cointaker.com/products/ct-color-changer

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinistarx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome?tu=sinistarx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.