3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpg
F859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpeg
3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicknack66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 7 years ago

Blackout was my first pin and still own it. Quick question - how difficult is the orbit shot on your games? My will make it rarely (with most of the time the ball only making it as far as the top rollovers). Not sure if that is how the game is supposed to be, or whether my flippers are weak, incline too great, and/or my skill (or lack thereof). Otherwise game plays great!

#43 7 years ago

Thanks. I will try replacing the eos switches on my game and see if that strengthens my flippers. Right now the flippers feel more "rubbery" on my Blackout than my other games (which have more snap to them, although my other games are newer/more powerful coils).

#46 7 years ago

I changed my EOS switches, but the ball still didn't make the orbit loop in most cases (falling just short) so I decreased the angle closer to 4.75 and that seems to have fixed the problem.

#57 7 years ago

Thanks. I'll try changing out the flipper switches down the road (don't have them on hand and need to order at some point). As far as the question/concern about the ball draining down the middle after the orbit shot, mine use to do that regularly, but in adjusting the legs a little it doesn't drain down the middle anymore (at least not in most cases). Game still seems balanced (so it isn't like it's lopsided one way or the other). So it can be fixed, without making any modifications to the game.

1 week later
#73 7 years ago

On my Blackout the 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the circles at the bottom right corner of the backglass do not work (and yes I changed the bulbs). What are these numbers for and what connector on which board powers them? Thanks.

#77 7 years ago

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info.

1 week later
#84 7 years ago

Thanks Swillie - I think you may be on to something! Yes, my 20 light does not work either. Everything else works, but the 20 and the 1,2,3,4 at the bottom of the backglass. I didn't realize there was a connection. I actually gave up on my 20 light not working since it wasn't critical to game play. Now I am going to trouble-shoot further. Maybe I'll be able to get all the lights on my game working.

#86 7 years ago

I'll post a photo of my right flipper EOS switch, etc., either later tonight or tomorrow morning (depending on when I get back home and can take one).

#89 7 years ago

And some images from my game as well...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#106 7 years ago

Mine are white with red rubbers (which as you noted matches the original Williams Blackout flyer), but as others have said, do what looks nice. There are a lot more options/colors these days then when Blackout came out. Of course, if you are trying to restore it to "original" then I think white with red rubbers (again, based on the flyer).

#107 7 years ago

SinistarX - how difficult was it to add a color changer behind the kickout hole and where did you purchase it? That's something I've always thought about adding, but haven't seen it done to a Blackout. Thanks.

#110 7 years ago

Perfect and simple! Thanks for the info.

2 months later
#127 7 years ago

Yes right flipper mech. If you need a picture let me know and I'll post one tomorrow.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Does anyone have pictures of the wiring on their drop target banks? I've got some orphaned wires and I'm thinking that might just be why the drop targets aren't working...

Unless someone posts one beforehand, I can take and post a photo when I get home tonight.

#131 7 years ago

Oh, do you want a photo(s) of the wiring for the red and/or yellow lighted drop targets?

#133 7 years ago

Not sure if these will help or not. The first photo is one side of the red mission drop targets, but I couldn't get a good shot on the other side since one of the pop bumper coils was in the way. The other photos are from the yellow mission drop targets, but I had to put my phone in the area and just shoot since I only had time to flip up the playfield tonight.

IMG_2143 (resized).JPGIMG_2143 (resized).JPG

IMG_2174 (resized).JPGIMG_2174 (resized).JPG

IMG_2175 (resized).JPGIMG_2175 (resized).JPG

IMG_2176 (resized).JPGIMG_2176 (resized).JPG

IMG_2177 (resized).JPGIMG_2177 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#140 7 years ago

Is there a way in the settings to allow for stacking extra balls. I just had a great game and on one ball scored an extra balll via the Blackout saucer, as well as scored enough points to earn two extra balls, but after I lost that ball, and then plunged what I thought would be the first of three extra balls, the Fire Again light went out (so only one extra ball). Any way to adjust this? Thanks.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

The manual states; "One extra ball per ball".

Well that answers it! Kinda stinks, but I guess it is what it is (and lessens the chance I will roll the score over). Thanks for the info.

3 weeks later
#147 7 years ago

Has anyone replaced their speaker on their Blackout? Mine is not the original speaker and has worked well until it recently started sounding horrible (vibrating/rattling). If I push on the paper cone it actually stops the vibrating/rattling, but obviously something is wrong with it. Figured it probably best just to replace it, but wasn't sure what to replace it with so it works/doesn't mess with the electronics from 1980. Thanks.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The only thing you really need to look for is something with the same resistance (probably 4 or 8 ohm) and at least the same wattage. Speaker technology hasn't changed much.

Thanks. Does anyone know the original resistance? The one in my game is currently 8 ohms (and has worked fine until now), but it clearly isn't the original and if 4 ohms was the original standard, I might as well switch back to that since I will be ordering a new speaker.

#151 7 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

This one worked great for me. Screw holes were good match. No modding.
amazon.com link »
Tricky because I have: Gorgar (1979 Williams) = 8 ohms Blackout (1980 Williams) = 4 ohms

Worked for you and less than $12, sold! Just placed an order. Thanks for the info.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Ladies and Gents,
May I join the club? Received this beauty today and can't stop playing! What a blast! Purchased from Toby on Pinside ( great seller) and sent to Todd Tuckey for a tune up.
I have been an EM guy to this point so will need some help from you all in the future.

Looks awesome! Welcome to the Blackout club. While I really got into pinball playing Flash at my local pizza place, Blackout has become my favorite Williams early SS game. Was your Blackout one of the two Blackouts that Todd Tuckey/TNT posted on YouTube a week or so ago?

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

This one worked great for me. Screw holes were good match. No modding.
amazon.com link »
Tricky because I have: Gorgar (1979 Williams) = 8 ohms Blackout (1980 Williams) = 4 ohms

Thanks again for the info. My replacement speaker arrived today, I installed it this evening, played a few games of Blackout, and it sounds great!

#157 7 years ago

When I was watching the video I was thinking what a great looking Blackout that was! Congrats again. I've had mine for almost 2 years now so I can usually get the Blackout mode (sometimes multiple times), but I remember when I first got it how challenging/exciting it was for me/my family when we actually were able to get the Blackout mode (and how frustrating it was when we were able to light up the mode, but then couldn't achieve it/couldn't get the ball into the Blackout mode saucer. My tip for the yellow drops is to actually use the right flipper and kick the ball back up top and either hit the targets directly or have them him after the ball hits the pop bumper. Also, another tip, if you hit all the yellow targets down three times on the same ball, it lights the Blackout mode (regardless of whether you have light the green or red lights) and I believe stays lit for the rest of the game (or at least for the next ball as well). That gives you more opportunities to actually make the Blackout mode shot. Hope this all helps. Enjoy the game! (although it sounds like you are already enjoying it very much).

#159 7 years ago

LOL, yes, always good to have a few tricks up your sleeve with the kids! (although once they see them they usually use them to beat me).

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

When it rains it pours..... finally was successful at completing Blackout mode twice last night ! Unfortunately nobody was there to witness it. The sound effects are so cool on this game !

Nice! (And hopefully your boys will believe you.

1 month later
#165 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Hey guys, I ran into this the other day and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. I earned an extra ball through score. I then enabled the playfield extra ball (left orbit). When the extra ball light turned on next to the scoop, the Shoot Again light from the score based EB I had earned, turned off!

I haven't seen that, but to be honest, I haven't focused on it (but will now or next time I have the glass off will try and simulate it). My problem is I either have a game where I obtain zero extra balls, or I have a really good ball and technically would have obtained three extra balls from the score and the scoop, but then as was explained to me on this forum, the game doesn't stack extra balls so in the end i just end up with one. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off letting a ball drain just before the next extra ball score, but that's probably a bad idea since I'll break my rhythm (I've learned not to walk away in the middle of a game to take care of something and then come back and inevitably when I return my next ball is crap).

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

Is extra ball by score a default setting? I could have swore that the score earns a credit and the extra ball is earned from progressing up the orbit... At least that is how mine has always been.

Yes, you can change this. I think if you set Function 28 to 01 it will award an extra ball (as opposed to if it is set to 00 it earns a credit). If that doesn't work, try changing Function 27 to 01 (instead of 00). If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll actually check the setting on my game (right now I am looking at the manual). FYI - I think on all games (at least SS, which is all I have) you can always adjust the "awards" to extra balls instead of credits. Given my games are in a home environment, I have my games set to award extra balls since a credit ("free game") is meaningless to me with my games set on Free Play (now back when I used to actually put quarters in these things at the arcade I would definitely prefer a credit/free game!)

4 weeks later
#183 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Yep..... it was a fuse. I didn't think of that first because I thought it would have been one fuse for all playfield lights. I'm new at this stuff !

Great and thankfully an easy fix! Now you can go back to enjoying the game.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from mflemmin:

I'm now the happy owner of a Blackout . Please let me join the club and I look forward to share hint, tips and tricks about this wonderful pinball machine!

Great game! Tip/trick - hit the three "yellow" drop targets down three times on the same ball and it lights the Blackout saucer (and i think it stays lit for multiple Blackouts)

5 months later
#217 6 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Hmm... just checked, mine has white flippers but yellow accent on the caps. Who knows what may have been modified in 27 years.

Mine also has white flippers with yellow accent on the caps. My game is #4422867 (stamped on bottom below coin door).

#218 6 years ago

Looks like original flyer had white flippers and yellow caps.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Lookin for recommendations and options for instruction cards and inserts for the apron. I'm missing the pricing card and plastic window covering it.

I don't have anything fancy in my Blackout, but do have the original black and white instruction card and pricing cards. Let me know if you want me to scan them and email them to you.

2 weeks later
#238 6 years ago

When I bought my Blackout it was missing the Backglass so I ordered a reproduction. Since I'm concerned about heat from normal bulbs behind it I would like to go all led behind the backglass. I was thinking about all frosted warm white bulbs but would like to hear what worked for you.

I always use frosted in the backglass of my games. That’s how one of my games came when I bought it and have just followed along when I changed my other games.

2 weeks later
#267 6 years ago

I finally have all my playfield lights going. Even after cleaning all the sockets there were two that would not light. Ended up being bad diodes at the lamp sockets.
Cleaned the horseshoe contacts and the PCB for the upper set of drop targets and now those register as they should.
Game is definitely playable now!

What diodes did you use to replace those. I have one light that doesn't work (despite cleaning) and based on your post will replace the diode and see if that solves the problem.

#270 6 years ago

The diodes on all the lamps are 1N4001 but you can use any of the more robust versions with a higher PIV like the 1N4004 or 1N4007. I used a 1N4004 as my replacements. Replacing a diode with a higher rating works but you never want to substitute one with a lower rating.
Hope that fixes your machine!

Thanks! I appreciate this info and the tip about the sockets as well (I have one of those that turns easily if bumped). I am going to be placing an order for some parts and will add some diodes to my list. Some projects for the New Year!

1 week later
#279 6 years ago

Does anyone have a good picture of the backbox with the glass off and door closed? I haven't seen any in this thread. The only pictures I've found show a small wood block on the upper left on the front of the door. Is there supposed to be one on the upper right as well? It would be good to get some more reference photos of games posted here.

And here is a photo of my game.

Blackout (resized).JPGBlackout (resized).JPG

#281 6 years ago

Thank you for posting the pictures! I also have that one wood block with the rubber pad. I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be an extra one on the right to keep that door away from the back glass. Makes sense that it was just on the one side to keep the door from opening too far.
My door is a bit different with square bezels around the player lights instead of the round ones pictured. I'll get pictures of mine and get them posted too for reference.

I have seen those square bezels before. I think on a Flash (system 4) game I was looking at. Maybe Williams first used the square bezels on the run and then switched to circles? I have a later serial number Blackout. In any event sounds like you are making great progress/almost done.

#288 6 years ago

I need to get a better camera since it really doesn't do the machine justice. With all the proper lighting it is a fantastic looking machine. The attached picture I took was before fixing all the bad sockets and it looks so much better with it all lit up. I think this game will be around for a while!

Wow, looks awesome (inside and out). Nice work and enjoy the game! Blackout was the first game in my collection and I still love playing it to this day. Here is a neat trick too (if you don't know it already). Complete the yellow mission three times in a single ball and it lights the Blackout hole for that ball and the next (maybe even the rest of the game - I don't remember).

1 year later
#532 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

So it looks like I found a beater Blackout to replace the first pinball machine I owned.
It is in bad shape. I'll need a hardtop when they are ready, a new backglass and lots of parts to get her up and running again. There are a few parts I'm looking for some advice of where to find. I'll need new decals for all the stand ups, drops and spinners, new pop and pop caps and some new upper rollover plastics.
Any input is appreciated. I'm going to pick it up at the end of the month. So far it looks like its lived in a barn for a few decades

This business has the decals for the stand ups and drops, plus other Blackout parts as well
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG020

1 year later
#816 3 years ago

Any one know what would cause my Blackout to rapidly flash double zeroes on all of the score screens and not let me start up a game? 40 pin connector issue perhaps? Figured before I start diagnostics I’d reach out here and see if anyone else has had and fixed this issue. Thanks!

CABC27A6-B247-41D7-A655-C006DE1B2532 (resized).pngCABC27A6-B247-41D7-A655-C006DE1B2532 (resized).png
#818 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

That'll most likely take a little work to figure out the problem. Your better off starting your own thread.

Thanks. I was actually able to fix the problem. Not sure what caused it, but I removed and reconnected all of the connectors on the boards and that fixed the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed it's fixed now for some time.

#820 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Sometimes the high tech approach like this is best !
Congrats on the fix!

Lol, and thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicknack66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome?tu=nicknack66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.