3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpg
F859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpeg
3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KnockerPTSD.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#451 4 years ago

I sold my Blackout in September but now I want one again lol. If anyone around Ontario is thinking of selling theirs I'd be interested. Looking for very nice shape. I was spoiled by my last one.
It was my first game but I needed the space. Bad move.

#452 4 years ago

Also have a great condition Junkyard for sale or trade if it helps. Cheers

1 month later
#458 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Ok, so I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere. There is a single target lit on each of the drop targets at the start of the game, and they make a special sound when it's hit. What is the purpose of those? Are they more points/add to the bonus?

Scores 5,000 when lit (w/l)

Screenshot_20190618-163400_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190618-163400_Google (resized).jpg
1 month later
#464 4 years ago

I have the one on the left framed

#466 4 years ago

Why buy a reprint? Original is only.worth about $20 l think

2 months later
#492 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

In the club! I ended up removing the upper left ball gate for additional orbits.[quoted image]

Why?

#497 4 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

5 orbits lights the blackout saucer extra ball shot...having the gate open means less time up top in the checkout lanes but the game has more flow in my opinion.

But that's cheating.

#507 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I'm going to purchase a light tower and have it display the big orange planet on the upper right side of the play field. Costs 5.00 from Pinball Life. Someone had one on Youtube. I think it looked nice. I'm also going to add a trough light. I'm just trying to figure out which one works for this machine. I found one that would work on WPC Williams, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with this machine. Let me know if you find out. I don't believe the ball eject needs a light, because the play field light works well already. The fire lights look nice behind the back glass. Additionally, I'll be making the the top red lane guides blue. Again, this guy on Youtube had a pretty nice machine.

I did my trough DIY style for maybe $3 cdn.
-3" led strip $1/ft
-2× alligator clips $1
-wire
Clip to some g.i., feed the wire up under the left side of the playfield through the apron and stick the LED to the apron at the trough. Easy peasy.

2 weeks later
#531 4 years ago

So it looks like I found a beater Blackout to replace the first pinball machine I owned.
It is in bad shape. I'll need a hardtop when they are ready, a new backglass and lots of parts to get her up and running again. There are a few parts I'm looking for some advice of where to find. I'll need new decals for all the stand ups, drops and spinners, new pop and pop caps and some new upper rollover plastics.
Any input is appreciated. I'm going to pick it up at the end of the month. So far it looks like its lived in a barn for a few decades

#539 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Currently at 73 votes at the top of the page.
Blackout is the only pin adding votes at this point.
If you want a hardtop, we need to let them know!
If you voted for a different hardtop that they are currently making, change your vote to Blackout!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread

You can vote for as many titles as you want

#543 4 years ago
Screenshot_20191117-094209_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191117-094209_Google (resized).jpg
2 months later
#585 4 years ago

I sold my perfect blackout last year for 1100 and was offered one at 1000 last month. I wouldn't put much value in a backglassless blackout. 700 cdn tops. Is yours the one with the center post installed? If so....even less

1 week later
#603 4 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

That's a long leap to the other side. Looks like the play field would hit the back glass. Have you tried it?

I used to open my game up all the way to the backboard to work on it. No issues.

2 weeks later
#614 4 years ago

I have a few Blackout related question for the thread.
1) I'm looking for 2 Blackouts if anyone is looking to sell (ideally Canada or Buffalo area)
I'm looking for one for my collection so the better quality I can find, the happier I'll be.
The other is for a retheme project I have in mind so the cheaper and crappier the better. No backglass? No problem. Playfield half worn off? Cool, that's half done for me lol.
Which leads me to my bigger questions.
I have ZERO board/computers knowledge. I am a mechanical thinker. This project is an idea I've had for a bit. I loved my Blackout when I had it and I have an obsession with the theme I have in mind so this would be a labour of love. I have plans for art package I would be attempting to apply and I'd be okay with just a "visible" retheme but I'd like to integrate more than than if possible.
So my other questions go something like this.
2) Is it possible to simply disable the speech in Blackout but keep the sounds? (This would be the minimum must I can do. I dont want my retheme yelling blackout or orbit completed (ok that one might still work lol)
3) Is it possible to replace the speech in blackout to new custom phrases and if so how complex would that be?
4) I watched a YouTube video where a guy had installed what I believe was an arduino into an old solid state in a way where the game played real music and it was even tied into gameplay (ie music would change track when he got multiball going)
Anybody here ever done something like that?

Oh and a kind of 5)
I have plans for how best to repurpose the plastics and apply my own art but I dont know if my ideas are my best options. Any tips?

Thanks guys.

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

nothing money can't solve .

If I were made of money I'd have a basement like Jim's

#618 4 years ago

But with alot more 80's games

#625 4 years ago

Just curious what people think a Blackout backglass in decent shape is worth and if anyone here wouldbe after one? Some spider webs but very little actual flaking on the one. Heavier on the other but still pretty good.
Im trying to justify a purchase. He wants too much for the game but has 2 backglasses (maybe 8/10 and 6/10 quality)
I would be selling both to buy a repro since I plan to get the game up to collector quality.
I'll attach some pics of the 2 backglasses.
A repro is about $400 though? Hot damn lol
Resized_20200310_182702_6863 (resized).jpgResized_20200310_182702_6863 (resized).jpgResized_20200310_182812_6126 (resized).jpgResized_20200310_182812_6126 (resized).jpgResized_20200310_182752_6490 (resized).jpgResized_20200310_182752_6490 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I messaged the seller two days ago. No response.
How would this differ from a hardtop?
What's the deal with Outside Edge anyway?
I get that we're shut down now...they said 4th quarter 2019 a year ago...we're pushing 6 months late AND they are releasing product for titles with lower numbers of machines out there? How smart is that?
And, of course, like some others in the replacement part pinball world, they never respond to questions, rarely give updates and are generally pretty vague about commitments.

Hard tops are an amazing product. You are always too hard on them though. Blackout is a dirt cheap game. Abundant but cheap. They are rolling out titles that are more likely to have collectors willing to drop money into restoring. Yes, you and I love Blackout and want to see it get the Hardtop love but more expensive/popular titles like Pinbot, High Speed, Black Knight and SoF are more likely to have fans that are willing to drop the money and effort into the restore. Idk about down there but the titles I mentioned are all about 3k cdn. A blackout goes for $1,800cdn if it is great and doesnt need a Hardtop. I can get one for 1k to restore. It's a business move. Your patience will pay off. I've been assured more than once that Blackout IS happening......eventually.

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

But of course the problem is that I've got a disassembled pin sitting there waiting because "it is happening"..on the one hand that isn't their problem BUT it was supposed to be here 6 months ago.
I've been sitting on this disassembled project for over a year because "it is happening"...that's not cool.
Do they have a licensing problem? OK, thanks for letting me know...I'll put it together now.
Are they just not getting to it because they don't personally own one and they still need the art? Ok, I'll put mine together now.
Everything is all set to go but we are installing new machines and it'll be out in Q4 2019...I'll wait and wait and wait...
It isn't a state secret. When? I understand that they have "day jobs" and that this is a sideline.
I'm not even asking for a daily or weekly update.
I'm just asking not to be treated like a mushroom (meaning they keep us in the dark and shovel shit on us).
I understand that it is a lower end pin but it too has fans.
Firepower and Mata Hari are lower end pins too.
Collectors will spend to have a nice Blackout.

They've been communicative whenever I've had an inquiry. Sounds like you jumped the gun on a project that the desired parts weren't ready for yet and now you are getting a little overly invested in the grief its caused you being the fault of Outside Edge. They didnt make an official announcement or anything. They tried to give give your (and my) inquiry the best answer they could at the time. If its causing you anger I say drive the sucker up to the border. I'll meet you for coffee and pinball and take her off your hands
I've been fortunate the other way where I'm still looking to replace my Blackout so I'm glad there isnt a Hardtop out yet and only us true Blackout fans are looking at them.

#654 4 years ago

Hell, maybe there is something up here you are looking for. I could pick something up for you along the way and bring it along.
I'm in Hamilton ,ON. Border seems about halfway from here to Kalamazoo

Edit: cheap titles obviously. Not looking for any customs drama. Pins umder 2k(cdn) dont seem to be an issue.

#660 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

The one thing that I do know is that the boards are solid now.
Tested for a couple of days in my tech guy's Blackout.

I wasnt joking if you want to meet up

#664 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

. Am I foolish to be chasing a Blackout?
Thanks in advance.

Yes...you are. Give up now........

So does anyone in my area have a Blackout they are done with? I'm looking to replace my first pin. I WAS looking for QC and that would still he great but with this new found time on my hands I would look at a project as well. Willing to ship within Canada if its the right Blackout for me. Willing to drive most if Ontario and a bit of Quebec. Havent done the border purchase thing as of yet.

The the post above, clearly just messing with you

1 week later
#668 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Now that we have the teaser, does anyone have any idea it'll be?

Based on what I've heard, any day now. Within the next week tops
Now I just need to find a damned machine. Covid has kind of dried the used market
I grabbed a Black Knight to work on in the meantime but I'd much rather have a Blackout again. I'm a scifi nerd and it was my first pin.

1 week later
#678 3 years ago

Has anyone installed the reproduction backglass in their game? How is the colour accuracy? I know my cpr Black Knight backglass is noticeably different than the original. A lot more blues and less blacks than the original. Not a big deal on Black Knight (moslty the horse) but it could be with Blackouts space theme.

#680 3 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

I never had original backglass, so I couldn't give you a comparison. Mine has LEDs, and there are a few sockets needing replaced still..
[quoted image][quoted image]

Obviously pictures can be deceiving but I would say there are some definite colour palette differences. Most noticeably the blues and greys imo. Nothing bad, just different.
Overall, you are happy with the quality?

Screenshot_20200521-133448_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200521-133448_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200521-133548_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200521-133548_Gallery (resized).jpg
#681 3 years ago

The reds also seem more orangey in the repro

#682 3 years ago

The original is also brighter tones of yellow. Look at the lighting on his back from the explosion. The repro hardly shows this.

*whoever makes these
Place dont take my not picking as critisism. Most original backglasses are garbage so.a repro available is a blessing.

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

I never had original backglass, so I couldn't give you a comparison. Mine has LEDs, and there are a few sockets needing replaced still..
[quoted image][quoted image]

How is the mirror finish?

1 week later
#688 3 years ago

Still haven't found a replacement for my Blackout
Just thought I'd share this thought Id had recently,...
There were 8 days between SoF final colour correct to release date.
Today is 13 days since final colour correct to Blackout.
I'd bet we see something beautiful rolling out any day now

#690 3 years ago

World's biggest coincidence that today is trending as Blackout Tuesday? Unintentional I would hope.

#692 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

You had to post this in 2 threads? Don't try to stir up something

Take it how you want man but all I meant was it is genuinely a huge coincidence and that I am obviously not going to take away from what is going on because I'm excited about a pinball mod. I dont see how I'm stirring anything up. Stand down and play pinball. I've been one of the ones most excited to see a Blackout hardtop. Its.been my avatar since day one.

#698 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I'm replacing the bumper caps with these: https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html
I used blue posts. I'm leaning towards blue for the caps, too. Thoughts?

Please dont take my comment personally but you asked
YUCK
those caps are terrible looking man. Dont do it.

1 week later
#718 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Looking for a third game, that'll fit nicely next to them. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Barracora or Space Station. Not interested in Black Knight

Keep it space themed
Id go Space Shuttle, Pinbot or Comic Gunfight (ive heard there is a new code being released to fix the one shot gameplay) but thats just me.

1 week later
#734 3 years ago

Idk about down there and its hard to say how much a Hardtop will increase the value since they are just hitting the market but up.here Blackout is Gorgar level cheap. Under 2k Cdn EVERYTIME. Most expensive Blackout 8ve seen was sold for $1,800cdn. Id imagine a beaty Hardtopped Blackout could fetch closer to $2,500cdn if it ALSO had a repro backglass. This isnt a desirable imvestment pin. Its a labour of love pin. If you dont think you will enjoy it, i would skip all the work, costs and headaches.

#742 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

not sure why little love for the title.

System 6

#746 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Not sure either. Same board set as Firepower and both great machines. Once the original boards have been properly gone through they are solid and work well. Just have to make sure not to cut corners and be aware of all the known issues and updates.

Fire power is also a sub 2k (cdn) game all day. System 6 are too unreliable for most people is all.

#750 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

not sure why little love for the title.

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Replace both halves of the 40-pin. Replace the old unreliable DIP sockets, clean any oxidation off the tarnished chip leads, REMOVE the rest of the .156" headers to clean off the oxidation on their pins instead of just reflowing. This is important since most of those leads were trimmed too close and have cracked solder joints. With the age it oxidizes down into the hole and on the pin. Just reflowing without cleaning isn't enough. I made a jig that I use for those that pushes about a 1/32" of the pins into the shell of needed to correct ones that were cut too short. Other things like replacing AMI PIA chips or at least keep an eye on them.

^^this is why^^

I love how you make it seem like no big deal though.
An entry level pin requireing that much work to bullet proof only supports my original response of "system 6"
The AVERAGE system 6 buyer/owner doesnt necessarily have the skill set to do all that work. Get a system 7^ and you are more likely to just need a flipper rebuild. I love me some system 6 but dont explain away all you have to do to make it reliable as if its a cake walk.

1 month later
#782 3 years ago

Its back!!!
Orbit completed!!!

20200819_001749 (resized).jpg20200819_001749 (resized).jpg20200818_183003 (resized).jpg20200818_183003 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#797 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

You can get a right orbit from the left flipper if you remove the gate. hint hint

Booooooooooooooooo!

5 months later
#831 2 years ago

Tax Return has me thinking...
CPR plastics?
Repro Backglass?
Pinball Pimp stencils?
Polished side rails?
New legs?
Already have a Hardtop (though this playfield is better than my last Blackout)

This machine is a forever pin in our house so why not make it the best Blackout it can be?

3 months later
#834 2 years ago

For the guys out there who have done full tear downs, have any of you swapped the star posts for clear or blue? Im going to Hardtop my Balckout this fall and im thinking clear star posts might look sharp with the theme. Thanks

1 year later
#922 1 year ago

I need to sell my Blackout stuff soon. No more room unfortunately.
I have a Blackout in very good shape. The playfield is great. Cabinet is great. Backglass is pretty darn good. Has comets leds, titans and new cliffys lane guides. Board work was done by Toronto Pinball exchange this summer so it should play for another 22yrs.
I also have a spare playfield that is mostly populated on the underside but stripped of plastics etc. on the top side. I also have a brand new hardtop ready to go. Looking to sell the whole lot at once. Cheers

6 months later
#942 1 year ago

Selling my
-Blackout 9/10 with comets and titans
-spare Blackout playfield 6/10 partially populated (top mostly stripped. Bottom mostly attached)
-Blackout Hardtop (nib)

Comfortable shipping. Canada only plz.

2 months later
#957 10 months ago

1980 Williams Blackout
w/ Comets, Titans, Cliffy's
9/10
Includes a mostly populated second playfield
$4,000 (CDN)
Hamilton, ON
Comfortable shipping but local sale preferred

Pics on Kijiji and FB marketplace

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Tools
Pincoder Store

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KnockerPTSD.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome?tu=KnockerPTSD and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.