3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpg
F859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpeg
3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,010 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.
#901 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

Would this be a sign that the display is going bad? The bottom edges of these segments are brighter and flickering a bit.
[quoted image]

Have you checked your display voltage?
If the voltage is too high it may explain why your resistors keep burning up.
It can indeed be a sign of a bad display, but check the voltage at the power supply first.
If you have an IDC connector at 3J5, you can measure at pin 1 (ground, most left) and pin 3 (-100VDC).
And measure at pin 1 (ground, most left) and pin 4 (+100VDC).

#902 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If it is cracked or leaked then nothing display and they are toast. Some seemed to work but would drag down other displays and burn up resistors on the Master display. Some displays seem to draw more current as they age and just can't be used reliably.

That's very helpful to know. Thank you.

#903 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Have you checked your display voltage?
If the voltage is too high it may explain why your resistors keep burning up.
It can indeed be a sign of a bad display, but check the voltage at the power supply first.
If you have an IDC connector at 3J5, you can measure at pin 1 (ground, most left) and pin 3 (-100VDC).
And measure at pin 1 (ground, most left) and pin 4 (+100VDC).

I replaced the resistors with the correct 1/2W and the player 3/4 ‘d’ segment resistor immediately smoked. The other player 1/2 ‘e’ segment worked… for a few minutes, and then also smoked.

I checked the voltage at pin 3 and it was -104 and pin 4 was +100. I checked them a second time and I think I may have shorted something because they now both read 0 and displays are dark. Uggh. I’m making this worse. Noob problems.

#904 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

I replaced the resistors with the correct 1/2W and the player 3/4 ‘d’ segment resistor immediately smoked. The other player 1/2 ‘e’ segment worked… for a few minutes, and then also smoked.
I checked the voltage at pin 3 and it was -104 and pin 4 was +100. I checked them a second time and I think I may have shorted something because they now both read 0 and displays are dark. Uggh. I’m making this worse. Noob problems.

If there are issues it can help to disconnect all of the slave displays except one. Power on to test. If ok turn off then plug in the next one and continue to test each one. It can help isolate the bad panel.

#905 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If there are issues it can help to disconnect all of the slave displays except one. Power on to test. If ok turn off then plug in the next one and continue to test each one. It can help isolate the bad panel.

This would be my next advise....

2 weeks later
#907 1 year ago

My next issue is no speech. Is it worth messing around to try and fix the speech board or buy a replacement from PinPCB?

#908 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

My next issue is no speech. Is it worth messing around to try and fix the speech board or buy a replacement from PinPCB?

Totally worth repairing. I’ve rebuilt a bunch and am finishing up one for Firepower now. Usually end up replacing all the DIP sockets on the boards and all new caps.

#909 1 year ago

Can we ask you to open up a new thread for the sounds issue? I have to chase down the same problem myself one of these days. It would be great to see how you approach it, and what advice you get on troubleshooting it.

#910 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

I presume you have already tried turning the pot on the pcb that mixes sound effects and voice? I believe I fixed this issue once by replacing IC2 and IC3, 1458s.

#911 1 year ago

Thanks @robotworkshop. I probably should have said “if you’re not sure how to diagnosis the problem”. I’m comfortable soldering components on the board but I’m pretty lost on how to diagnosis which components are faulty. I could do a shotgun approach and order a bunch of things and replace half of the board, but at that rate I’d be most of the way into the cost of a new board. I’d really like to fix the board, for the sense of accomplishment and cost, but I need someone to show me how to figure this out. I really want to learn but I’m pretty new and just need some direction.

mof I can open a new thread for the speech issue. I never really know if it’s better to ask in the owner’s thread or a separate one.

#912 1 year ago

always -- then link it from here to bring more people to it -- especially since it is likely a system6 display issue, not a blackout issue. so you want more visibility than just blackout owners.

3 weeks later
#913 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Made some flipper frame or ball return guides that sit on short standoffs,I think it looks a little more finished and prevents the ball from hopping over . Went with a red pinstripe to match the rest of the plastics.
These are an opaque black ,if someone else has some graphic or decal skills I would be happy to make a set in clear in exchange. They could look nice illuminated from the bottom by drilling out the flipper frame
[quoted image][quoted image]

How did you make those? I would love some for my game!!! I purchased mine on Sunday and am hopefully picking it up this week! Excited to restore it and do a few small mods like that.

1 week later
#914 1 year ago

Starting to restore my blackout game. My lock bar is pretty rusted out. Do you guys think it it can be brought back or should I get a new lock bar insert? Also the play field looks very dirty and warn. Are the vertical lines in the art from the wood? And is that reversible?0B7CFC0B-3867-47ED-88B6-193D65AE95A0 (resized).jpeg0B7CFC0B-3867-47ED-88B6-193D65AE95A0 (resized).jpeg5FD4731A-8516-4F1B-9B7E-8862FDC21633 (resized).jpeg5FD4731A-8516-4F1B-9B7E-8862FDC21633 (resized).jpegE13E463F-71AA-4823-A639-25D03F0F6CB8 (resized).jpegE13E463F-71AA-4823-A639-25D03F0F6CB8 (resized).jpeg2945876E-FFB1-4EC9-B6C5-965F3D8043F4 (resized).jpeg2945876E-FFB1-4EC9-B6C5-965F3D8043F4 (resized).jpeg3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg3244D8F6-E923-436A-B058-5161130DA283 (resized).jpeg

#915 1 year ago

Here's what I do every time:

toss the lockdown bar receiver and the lockdown bar in your tall tube of rust away solution. I lower my objects down in there carefully with old phone cords I kept from the 90s -- since the tube is tall enough for legs ofc.

every few hours, remove them and scrub the rust spots, to keep exposing more rust. don't scratch the metal where it's still got the protective zinc coating. Stop when all the missing zinc spots are no longer rust but black...

when you are done removing all the gunk and rust -- rinse and wipe -- then polish the LDBR (top edge only) on the polish wheel, then give it a coat of wax...

the lockdown bar itself generally needs 0 scrubbing. Just dry it all the way with a heat gun before dropping your fresh new bar seal on there.

-mof

#916 1 year ago
Quoted from danielflashdrake:

How did you make those? I would love some for my game!!! I purchased mine on Sunday and am hopefully picking it up this week! Excited to restore it and do a few small mods like that.

Have fun with your new machine. I made them out of acrylic using a laser engraver but in the past would just shape the acrylic using a bench grinder
If you are not handy in this way I will pop you out a set next time I fire up the laser

If you get ball hop as the ball goes from the guide down to the flipper cliffy makes an improved flipper guide .

#917 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

Thanks Robotworkshop. I probably should have said “if you’re not sure how to diagnosis the problem”. I’m comfortable soldering components on the board but I’m pretty lost on how to diagnosis which components are faulty. I could do a shotgun approach and order a bunch of things and replace half of the board, but at that rate I’d be most of the way into the cost of a new board. I’d really like to fix the board, for the sense of accomplishment and cost, but I need someone to show me how to figure this out. I really want to learn but I’m pretty new and just need some direction.
mof I can open a new thread for the speech issue. I never really know if it’s better to ask in the owner’s thread or a separate one.

Totally understand about troubleshooting and typically recommend that first. However there are many well documented must do updates if you want the boards to be reliable. A good 40 pin interconnect set is number 1. DIP sockets are high on the list. If any are scanbe brand then just stop and replace them. Otherwise you’ll be chasing issues that are connection related. If the driver board has AMI brand PIA chips those have a high failure rate. If I see those I’ll pull them out to check and put in sockets so if any fail they can easily be replaced.

#918 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Have fun with your new machine. I made them out of acrylic using a laser engraver but in the past would just shape the acrylic using a bench grinder
If you are not handy in this way I will pop you out a set next time I fire up the laser
If you get ball hop as the ball goes from the guide down to the flipper cliffy makes an improved flipper guide .

I would love it if you made me some!! I am not as handy in that way. I would be happy to pay you for your time and the shipping! Just shoot me a message the next time you use the laser!

#919 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also just finished putting comet LEDs in this one throughout.
[quoted image]

I am planning to do the same soon. Did you color match the inserts? And what bulbs did you go with for the GI? 2smd sunlight? It looks great!

1 week later
#920 1 year ago

I just had an issue come up twice in the last 3 days. I’ll be playing and then all of a sudden everything goes dead except the play files lights. The flippers won’t work. The insert lights go off. And the scoring displays turn off. Anyone know what could be causing this? It happened randomly both times. I took a picture the 2nd time.

F859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpegF859EBBA-FD46-4943-B1D3-83AF60C295E7 (resized).jpeg
#921 1 year ago
Quoted from danielflashdrake:

I just had an issue come up twice in the last 3 days. I’ll be playing and then all of a sudden everything goes dead except the play files lights. The flippers won’t work. The insert lights go off. And the scoring displays turn off. Anyone know what could be causing this? It happened randomly both times. I took a picture the 2nd time.
[quoted image]

Check the connectors at the top of the MPU, the contacts often lose tension and get a bad connection.

If you can take off and reinstall the connectors once or twice and the problem goes away for several weeks you might have the cause.

4 weeks later
#922 1 year ago

I need to sell my Blackout stuff soon. No more room unfortunately.
I have a Blackout in very good shape. The playfield is great. Cabinet is great. Backglass is pretty darn good. Has comets leds, titans and new cliffys lane guides. Board work was done by Toronto Pinball exchange this summer so it should play for another 22yrs.
I also have a spare playfield that is mostly populated on the underside but stripped of plastics etc. on the top side. I also have a brand new hardtop ready to go. Looking to sell the whole lot at once. Cheers

#923 1 year ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I need to sell my Blackout stuff soon. No more room unfortunately.
I have a Blackout in very good shape. The playfield is great. Cabinet is great. Backglass is pretty darn good. Has comets leds, titans and new cliffys lane guides. Board work was done by Toronto Pinball exchange this summer so it should play for another 22yrs.
I also have a spare playfield that is mostly populated on the underside but stripped of plastics etc. on the top side. I also have a brand new hardtop ready to go. Looking to sell the whole lot at once. Cheers

I'd be interested in playfield / hardtop. Got pics of them?

1 month later
#924 1 year ago

Anyone have a chart/reference for the different sizes of the playfield inserts? I have several that are severely cupped and need replaced, particularly the green 2X, 3X, etc inserts just above the flippers.

#925 1 year ago
Quoted from swillie:

Replacing the flipper button switch was the thing that worked for mine, can make the orbit shot most times now.

I can't find a reference part number for the flipper button cabinet switch anywhere, can someone please give me a part number or send a link to the correct switch?

2 months later
#926 1 year ago

Two of my six digit displays are in various stages of coming unglued from their boards. Would you just hit it with some silicone adhesive, or is there a better fix (aside from replacing the displays entirely)?

I've removed the boards to keep them from scraping paint off my backglass any more than they already have.

PXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221419874 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221434908 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221454019 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221502002 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpgPXL_20230107_221510169 (resized).jpg
#927 1 year ago
Quoted from enjoymoreradio:

Two of my six digit displays are in various stages of coming unglued from their boards. Would you just hit it with some silicone adhesive, or is there a better fix (aside from replacing the displays entirely)?
I've removed the boards to keep them from scraping paint off my backglass any more than they already have.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’d try a little hot glue.

#928 1 year ago

Also at the hardware store you can get the glue called GOOP. It works really well for these. I've spread a thin coat between the board and glass just below the top edge. Clamp with the spring loaded plastic clamps. I haven't had any break free again.

1 week later
#929 1 year ago

Just got a blackout in a package deal, the thing is it's missing its boards. Not familiar with system 6, what boards would I need to get this thing running?

#930 1 year ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Just got a blackout in a package deal, the thing is it's missing its boards. Not familiar with system 6, what boards would I need to get this thing running?

I don't wanna take my back glass off to double check, but I think you'd need:

MPU
Driver
Power Supply
Sound
Speech

I'm pretty sure they sell a combo MPU + Driver board, and I think there's also a combo Sound + Speech board (I think).
I've not done an exhaustive search, but that's mainly what you'd need.

Is the display driver board also missing? If so, you'd need that too.

#931 1 year ago
Quoted from damadczar:

MPU
Driver
Power Supply
Sound
Speech
I'm pretty sure they sell a combo MPU + Driver board, and I think there's also a combo Sound + Speech board (I think).

Display driver might be missing too as I dont recall seeing any Displays. I was told it was missing boards but I never opened it up to see yet. I might just go with a wolfpack kit if displays are missing aswell

#932 1 year ago
Quoted from Crimcyan:

Display driver might be missing too as I dont recall seeing any Displays. I was told it was missing boards but I never opened it up to see yet. I might just go with a wolfpack kit if displays are missing aswell

Wolffpac is my go to. Also, you could just get a power supply PCB from Kohout or x-pin and then a Pinball Technologies NW-7(MPU, Solenoid driver and sound board in 1).

#933 1 year ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Wolffpac is my go to. Also, you could just get a power supply PCB from Kohout or x-pin and then a Pinball Technologies NW-7(MPU, Solenoid driver and sound board in 1).

I was looking for the nw7 but it seems like it might not be available anymore

#934 1 year ago
Quoted from damadczar:

MPU
Driver
Power Supply
Sound
Speech

I would second getting a set of teh Wolfpack displays. The kit has the master display and the 4 slave displays.

For the others you have a few options. Get original boards for the game. Those when properly serviced and rebuilt run well and are trouble free. I run all original boards in my Blackout and Firepower and they have been solid for years.

For the MPU/Driver if you want an aftermarket the latest version of the Rottendog Combo board works well. The early version wasn't as robust in regards to the switch matrix and if there were shorts in the matrix could blow an odd chip in that board. It also had a mounting tab you needed to watch out for. The current version doesn't have those issues. I know several people running them and are very happy with them. So either a combo board like this or a rebuilt original MPU and rebuilt driver board.

For the Power Supply I prefer the original one. They are really simple. As long as the main 5V capacitor is replaced and any questionable solder joints reflowed you are usually good to go. I rarely have issues with the HV section for the displays but if you run the Wolfpack LED displays it isn't an issue as those don't need HV at all.

I've heard there was an aftermarket sound/speech but never tried one of know if they are available. Again, I go original here. It uses the smaller square sounf board with the optional 40-pin ribbon connector. That is needed so the optional plug in speech board can be used. It holds up to 4 speech ROM's and some circuitry for the speech. Either find a good used one or a used set that can be rebuilt.

#935 1 year ago

Weebly has the sound/speech board to suite:

https://nvram.weebly.com/wms-d8224-square-sound--speech.html

1 month later
#936 1 year ago

I dont think my game has the displays harnesses but I could be mistaken since all harnesses are just a jumbled mess. Is there anywhere to get replacement display harnesses if im missing them?

#937 1 year ago

Is there a way to add an extra light for the saucer that blinks when you have blackout ready?
I know how to wire it so that the saucer can be lit, but firepower has the blinking which I like if possible.

#938 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

Is there a way to add an extra light for the saucer that blinks when you have blackout ready?
I know how to wire it so that the saucer can be lit, but firepower has the blinking which I like if possible.

Maybe you could add an extra lamp socket that is jumped off the blackout ready lamp.
Then install a #455 blinker or led version of the lamp, to light the eject saucer.

#939 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Maybe you could add an extra lamp socket that is jumped off the blackout ready lamp.
Then install a #455 blinker or led version of the lamp, to light the eject saucer.

Thanks! Good idea that sounds the most straightforward. I really liked how it looks in firepower with the lit saucers.

#940 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

Thanks! Good idea that sounds the most straightforward. I really liked how it looks in firepower with the lit saucers.

I did this on my Firepower and Blackout hardtop conversions. On Blackout I put in a clear eject shield and tied a lamp socket to the "Blackout" lamp socket. I put a quick color changing led in that new socket. I did the same one firepower by wiring the new lamp socket to the green lock lamps. I just used red leds on Firepower. Here is a little video of my Blackout which shows how it looks.

#941 1 year ago

Here’s how it looks under Firepower.

3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg3ADBAFE4-97B3-433C-9452-3D6084AE10A3 (resized).jpeg476CAF53-7B88-4B14-A0CC-51A2372C416B (resized).jpeg476CAF53-7B88-4B14-A0CC-51A2372C416B (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#942 1 year ago

Selling my
-Blackout 9/10 with comets and titans
-spare Blackout playfield 6/10 partially populated (top mostly stripped. Bottom mostly attached)
-Blackout Hardtop (nib)

Comfortable shipping. Canada only plz.

#943 1 year ago

Hello to all BLACKOUT lovers

Hope one of you could help me with my issue.
I bought my BLACKOUT some weeks ago, in good condition and a very nice PF.
Checking the mechanics under the PF i recognized, that the upper 3 bank target assembly is broken. Could anybody give me a hint which assembly is the right one? Should I need a new drop target board too?
I couldn't find a parts list at any place. If there is one with part numbers, i would a appreciate the help with this.
THX & Greetings
Bert

IMG20230217221933 (resized).jpgIMG20230217221933 (resized).jpg
#944 1 year ago

This one? Compare it to the other target bank https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-8038

#945 1 year ago
Quoted from Pulptoxic:

Hello to all BLACKOUT lovers
Hope one of you could help me with my issue.
I bought my BLACKOUT some weeks ago, in good condition and a very nice PF.
Checking the mechanics under the PF i recognized, that the upper 3 bank target assembly is broken. Could anybody give me a hint which assembly is the right one? Should I need a new drop target board too?
I couldn't find a parts list at any place. If there is one with part numbers, i would a appreciate the help with this.
THX & Greetings
Bert
[quoted image]

Looks like just a broken coil stop. That and a new plastic coil sleeve should do it.

#946 1 year ago

Thank you for answering so fast! Yes this one and you're absolutely right the coil stop is broken.
What do you think about the plunger, looks very used an oxidized, replace too?
best regrads

#947 1 year ago
Quoted from Pulptoxic:

Thank you for answering so fast! Yes this one and you're absolutely right the coil stop is broken.
What do you think about the plunger, looks very used an oxidized, replace too?
best regrads

Hard to tell from the picture but where it is used you should be fine just cleaning and maybe polishing a little. With a new coil sleeve and stop it will work fine,

#948 1 year ago

As long as the plunger is smooth, its fine. They weren't polished shiny back then.

#949 1 year ago

Great, thanks to all!

#950 1 year ago

Would anyone have the thickness to the backbox light baffle? My game is missing it and im thinking of 3d printing it

20230322_220602 (resized).jpg20230322_220602 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,010 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome/page/19?hl=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.