Topic Stats

• 642 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 62 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 145 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200326_211520 (resized).jpg
20200326_211507 (resized).jpg
08F2A0A2-5A41-40C2-8A18-440CDC09CDDF (resized).jpeg
23EA05C7-A9FE-4BEA-B292-A9BF582A2E8E (resized).jpeg
Resized_20200310_182752_6490 (resized).jpg
Resized_20200310_182812_6126 (resized).jpg
Resized_20200310_182702_6863 (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (1) (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (resized).jpg
Image from iOS (2) (resized).jpg
9F79461B-3D57-4EA9-BA1B-AE11B0B7470A-1048-000001807F0143CA (resized).png
KIMG0044 (resized).JPG
NICE BLACKOUT LED (resized).jpg
IMG_20191124_210459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191124_210447 (resized).jpg
IMG_3975 (resized).jpg

There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
#601 43 days ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

While sliding the playfield forward, lean the weight all to the right and slide past the open slot on left. You now have rails on both sides again and can now tip the playfield all the way up resting on head.

I tried this once and it didn't work out to we'll. I thought that I just didn't know how to lean the play field back. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

GIC- thx for mentioning the spinner. I probably wouldn't have caught that. I haven't checked the clearance yet, but you might be right. Are there any other games with side rails like this?

#602 42 days ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

While sliding the playfield forward, lean the weight all to the right and slide past the open slot on left. You now have rails on both sides again and can now tip the playfield all the way up resting on head.

That's a long leap to the other side. Looks like the play field would hit the back glass. Have you tried it?

#603 42 days ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

That's a long leap to the other side. Looks like the play field would hit the back glass. Have you tried it?

I used to open my game up all the way to the backboard to work on it. No issues.

#604 42 days ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

I used to open my game up all the way to the backboard to work on it. No issues.

Good to know, I'll be rebuilding my pop bumper soon and will need to do this.

#605 38 days ago

Question for fellow Blackout owners-

Never owned one before and I noticed something curious and was wondering if normal.

1) Start a one player game and left it finish as normal. Displays 2, 3 & 4 will all show 000,000.

2) Machine will go into game over mode. Display one will show last score and alternate with high score. All other displays will show 000,000 still.

3) After period of time machine will go into attract mode- state "BLACKOUT" drop the GI lights and displays and then go back to alternating high score mode.

4) Player one display will alternate last score and high score but the other three displays will now show highscore instead of 000,000.

Is this normal?

#606 38 days ago

I'm working on my Blackout now, so I can't confirm. However, everything you mentioned sounds normal.

#607 38 days ago

Everything thru step #2 as described is normal. Will play a game later and see if the display changes after attract mode blackout triggers...

#608 38 days ago

That's what mine has been doing. I bet score memory is retained for the last game (regardless of how many players; a 1p game would have zeros on the other players) until the display buffers are cleared when the "blackout" attract sequence is run. Afterward, the buffer is reloaded with whatever the highest score is. Remember that Blackout was an early SS game, and memory was only reserved for the "highEST" single score - the blackglass light is captioned to this effect.

I believe Firepower does this as well. Even my Time Fantasy (a later System 7) only saves the single highest score. I think the "top 4" scores are stored beginning with System 9. I don't recall that any those games have an attract interrupt to reset the displays, but they might. Of course Blackout was unique in flushing out the displays as part of its gimmick, so it might be kind of an interesting "bug" in that regard!

#609 38 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Question for fellow Blackout owners-
Never owned one before and I noticed something curious and was wondering if normal.
1) Start a one player game and left it finish as normal. Displays 2, 3 & 4 will all show 000,000.
2) Machine will go into game over mode. Display one will show last score and alternate with high score. All other displays will show 000,000 still.
3) After period of time machine will go into attract mode- state "BLACKOUT" drop the GI lights and displays and then go back to alternating high score mode.
4) Player one display will alternate last score and high score but the other three displays will now show highscore instead of 000,000.
Is this normal?

Yep, just confirmed mine behaves exactly the same as yours.
9F79461B-3D57-4EA9-BA1B-AE11B0B7470A-1048-000001807F0143CA (resized).png

#610 38 days ago

Video for those wondering, I didn't even play a game just let it sit till it went into attract mode.

Ok, sounds normal so move along!

#611 36 days ago

Joined the club with a project pin that should keep me occupied (first system 6). It hadn't been turned on for about a year. Has intermittent sound, one slave display issue, bunch of burnt resistors and some drop targets that need love. Cabinet is decent. Playfield needs a hug or two. I can't wait to get it up and running.

Image from iOS (resized).jpgImage from iOS (1) (resized).jpgImage from iOS (2) (resized).jpg
#612 36 days ago
Quoted from thegarse:

Joined the club with a project pin that should keep me occupied (first system 6). It hadn't been turned on for about a year. Has intermittent sound, one slave display issue, bunch of burnt resistors and some drop targets that need love. Cabinet is decent. Playfield needs a hug or two. I can't wait to get it up and running.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You got lucky on the boards since there doesn’t look to be any battery damage. Those original boards are solid once done. I’d do the following:

- Replace the 40 pin connectors between the MPU and driver
- Replace the resistors that are burned up for the lamp matrix
- Update to the 0 ohm jumpers for the switch matrix
- Resolder any cracked solder connections at the headers.
- Replace those DIP sockets on the MPU and sound boards
- Install NVRAM so no need for batteries again.
- Check/replace any bad caps on the power supply and sound cards.

#613 36 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

- Check/replace any bad caps on the power supply and sound cards.

Just replace, just a few bucks.

1 week later
#614 22 days ago

I have a few Blackout related question for the thread.
1) I'm looking for 2 Blackouts if anyone is looking to sell (ideally Canada or Buffalo area)
I'm looking for one for my collection so the better quality I can find, the happier I'll be.
The other is for a retheme project I have in mind so the cheaper and crappier the better. No backglass? No problem. Playfield half worn off? Cool, that's half done for me lol.
Which leads me to my bigger questions.
I have ZERO board/computers knowledge. I am a mechanical thinker. This project is an idea I've had for a bit. I loved my Blackout when I had it and I have an obsession with the theme I have in mind so this would be a labour of love. I have plans for art package I would be attempting to apply and I'd be okay with just a "visible" retheme but I'd like to integrate more than than if possible.
So my other questions go something like this.
2) Is it possible to simply disable the speech in Blackout but keep the sounds? (This would be the minimum must I can do. I dont want my retheme yelling blackout or orbit completed (ok that one might still work lol)
3) Is it possible to replace the speech in blackout to new custom phrases and if so how complex would that be?
4) I watched a YouTube video where a guy had installed what I believe was an arduino into an old solid state in a way where the game played real music and it was even tied into gameplay (ie music would change track when he got multiball going)
Anybody here ever done something like that?

Oh and a kind of 5)
I have plans for how best to repurpose the plastics and apply my own art but I dont know if my ideas are my best options. Any tips?

Thanks guys.

#615 22 days ago

nothing money can't solve .

#616 22 days ago

2) According to the official Blackout manual, the speech board was technically optional. So if you disconnect it, you (should) have sound without the speech. I'd test to confirm this but I've disassembled mine temporarily.

3) It's technically possible but you'll need to understand the exact memory parameters of the original speech roms. Today we think of "sounds" and "callouts" as individual sound files that are opened and played via a call from code. In classic pins, the "sounds" were generated by routine in the game code, and "speech" was compressed to exactly fit a specific memory footprint, and the game code would look up a specific byte. So it's doable... but in a different approach.

4) see #3: to redo a game with modern coding approaches, some people reinvent the wheel. Neither approach is "wrong" per se. It's all about your own comfort and resources. Either promises to be a learning experience.

5) Almost anything is fair game... it depends on what you want to do. Share your ideas! But if the original plastics are in decent shape I would preserve them, you might even be able to sell them. But trace their shapes on paper or clear plastic and go from there to draw out your own ideas...

#617 22 days ago
Quoted from luch:

nothing money can't solve .

If I were made of money I'd have a basement like Jim's

#618 22 days ago

But with alot more 80's games

#619 22 days ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

I have a few Blackout related question for the thread.
1) I'm looking for 2 Blackouts if anyone is looking to sell (ideally Canada or Buffalo area)
I'm looking for one for my collection so the better quality I can find, the happier I'll be.
The other is for a retheme project I have in mind so the cheaper and crappier the better. No backglass? No problem. Playfield half worn off? Cool, that's half done for me lol.
Which leads me to my bigger questions.
I have ZERO board/computers knowledge. I am a mechanical thinker. This project is an idea I've had for a bit. I loved my Blackout when I had it and I have an obsession with the theme I have in mind so this would be a labour of love. I have plans for art package I would be attempting to apply and I'd be okay with just a "visible" retheme but I'd like to integrate more than than if possible.
So my other questions go something like this.
2) Is it possible to simply disable the speech in Blackout but keep the sounds? (This would be the minimum must I can do. I dont want my retheme yelling blackout or orbit completed (ok that one might still work lol)
3) Is it possible to replace the speech in blackout to new custom phrases and if so how complex would that be?
4) I watched a YouTube video where a guy had installed what I believe was an arduino into an old solid state in a way where the game played real music and it was even tied into gameplay (ie music would change track when he got multiball going)
Anybody here ever done something like that?
Oh and a kind of 5)
I have plans for how best to repurpose the plastics and apply my own art but I dont know if my ideas are my best options. Any tips?
Thanks guys.

There is actually a dip switch that turns the speech on/off- it leaves all the other sounds on

#620 22 days ago

You could also install sound ROMs from another game like flash.

#621 22 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I just ordered two...they'll be here in 5-10 days. It'll probably be Thanksgiving by the time I get Blackout up and running--maybe later depending on the hardtop availability. I may see if the second one will work in Firepower 2...I was actually hesitating to place the order due to an internal struggle over "woofer" vs "mid range"....full range seems like a win.
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

How did you like this speaker?

#622 22 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I just ordered two...they'll be here in 5-10 days. It'll probably be Thanksgiving by the time I get Blackout up and running--maybe later depending on the hardtop availability. I may see if the second one will work in Firepower 2...I was actually hesitating to place the order due to an internal struggle over "woofer" vs "mid range"....full range seems like a win.
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

How did you like this speaker?

https://www.parts-express.com/visaton-bg17-8-65-full-range-speaker-with-whizzer-cone-8-ohm--292-546

#623 21 days ago

Looks like a drop in replacement.
I haven't had the time that I need to put my damn machine back together.
It is screwed into the bottom of the cabinet...waiting for me.
I wish I could answer your question.
In another week, It'll be my Blackout 1 year project anniversary...it's kind of a badge of shame...

#624 21 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Looks like a drop in replacement.
I haven't had the time that I need to put my damn machine back together.
It is screwed into the bottom of the cabinet...waiting for me.
I wish I could answer your question.
In another week, It'll be my Blackout 1 year project anniversary...it's kind of a badge of shame...

Fair enough... I bought one for a shot speaker in a WMS World Cup that I might not keep and was debating whether to put it in their or in one of keeper machines in my basement.

#625 20 days ago

Just curious what people think a Blackout backglass in decent shape is worth and if anyone here wouldbe after one? Some spider webs but very little actual flaking on the one. Heavier on the other but still pretty good.
Im trying to justify a purchase. He wants too much for the game but has 2 backglasses (maybe 8/10 and 6/10 quality)
I would be selling both to buy a repro since I plan to get the game up to collector quality.
I'll attach some pics of the 2 backglasses.
A repro is about $400 though? Hot damn lol
Resized_20200310_182702_6863 (resized).jpgResized_20200310_182812_6126 (resized).jpgResized_20200310_182752_6490 (resized).jpg

#626 20 days ago

$50 USD -- shipping kills it, take it to a local show.

#627 20 days ago

yeah 50 -100 canadian , up here

#628 20 days ago
Quoted from Graysonsdad:

Just curious what people think a Blackout backglass in decent shape is worth and if anyone here wouldbe after one? Some spider webs but very little actual flaking on the one. Heavier on the other but still pretty good.
Im trying to justify a purchase. He wants too much for the game but has 2 backglasses (maybe 8/10 and 6/10 quality)
I would be selling both to buy a repro since I plan to get the game up to collector quality.
I'll attach some pics of the 2 backglasses.
A repro is about $400 though? Hot damn lol
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

depending on the condition and price, I might be interested if you are headed to the US sometime soon.
Shipping it wouldn't make sense.
My backglass has extensive flaking in the red at the bottom.
We have Pinball at the Zoo coming up.
Typically a pretty good time.

#629 14 days ago

Long Shot... anyone have an empty blackout back box.... the one on my project is crap... Also looking for a nice backglass... is there repo for Blackout available for purchase?

#630 14 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Long Shot... anyone have an empty blackout back box.... the one on my project is crap... Also looking for a nice backglass... is there repo for Blackout available for purchase?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-BLACKOUT-BG

#631 14 days ago

I'm looking for an early Williams (system 3-6) backbox as well for a possible Firepower project...anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

#633 13 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I had a pinsider reach out and he has one... so awesome!

#634 13 days ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I'm looking for an early Williams (system 3-6) backbox as well for a possible Firepower project...anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

It might be awhile before I get mine but you can have my old one... need some work but if you are going to have to repaint then you could do a little wood working.

#635 13 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

I thought there was a mirrored one.... Does CPR not make this for them though?

The one on Planetary is mirrored.

#636 13 days ago
Quoted from danczaz:

It might be awhile before I get mine but you can have my old one... need some work but if you are going to have to repaint then you could do a little wood working.

Thanks...this machine is a coin toss at the moment...will be in touch if it happens.

#637 13 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The one on Planetary is mirrored.

I guess that sounded better in my head! (I meant it like I KNEW IT)...

#638 10 days ago

Could someone take a photo of their right flipper switch stack... fixing up my project. New switch has three tabs; where does diode go and direction. Got my new switches in the mail yesterday!
23EA05C7-A9FE-4BEA-B292-A9BF582A2E8E (resized).jpeg

#639 10 days ago

Never mind- forgot my Time Fantasy has lane change... setup should be same...

08F2A0A2-5A41-40C2-8A18-440CDC09CDDF (resized).jpeg
#640 7 days ago

Looking for two plastics: left plastic over the mission green targets, and top right corner plastic. These are for a wall hanger, don't have to be pretty just intact.

#641 5 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

Looking for two plastics: left plastic over the mission green targets, and top right corner plastic. These are for a wall hanger, don't have to be pretty just intact.

Top right plastic obtained! Still need the plastic over the stand "green" targets. Here is some potential tradebait. Minor chip on the rim, it can be installed out of player view.

20200326_211507 (resized).jpg20200326_211520 (resized).jpg
#642 2 days ago

Finally got around to fusing my bridges on Blackout, easy upgrade that took a hot 10 minutes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 22.00
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
There are 642 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside