Blackout_Lamp_Trans (resized).jpg
Extra_Driver_Corrosion - Copy (resized).jpg
blackout_sol_switchwires (resized).jpg
blackout_ground1 (resized).jpg
blackout_ground2 (resized).jpg
0C859974-F543-4FBA-81E0-CDCE8B57FD18 (resized).jpeg
Extra_Driver_Board_ (resized).jpg
Blackout_Driver_Corroded2 - Copy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbpilot78.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago

I have no clue but d3f gonna follow along and see how this goes,miss my BO

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Update: Good news! After doing some minor repair work on the spare driver board, it looks like I'm in business. I replaced the female side of the 40-pin interconnect, one bad transistor, and reflowed soldered to all the headers on both boards. I put it all back together and it booted up!
All the solenoids seem to be working aside from one pop (the solenoid is testing at 0.7ohms and should be closer to 4ohm, so I know it's bad) and the right flipper (which I think I have sorted out and will try reconnecting tonight).
The displays were dead initially, but reseating the power and data connectors associated with them got them back on and looking good, so I'm guessing some repinning should solve things there.
Getting closer! Will keep up with progress.

Oh wow,nice.I wasn't sure if that board was gonna work out,good stuff

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Another note... the ground strap that usually comes up from the cabinet is NOT attached to the normal spot I'm used to seeing. And I know sometimes there's an extra wire coming off of it as well. Note in the pictures below, the missing ground strap connection, and then in the back of the pic (second pic to show it more clearly) there's a ground strap connected to a nut over near the side of the head. Seemed weird to me, but not sure if it could cause issues?[quoted image][quoted image]

I am not sure if that is causing a issue but id return it to the proper spot just to be sure

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Update... okay, apparently that wire nut was NOT the issue, because this morning the pop was locking on again. However, after turning the game on and off a few times, it eventually stopped doing that. It almost slowly released itself on the last time, as if the coil was gently powering down. Wondering if maybe the capacitor is an issue? Not sure exactly how that works, relative to a pop. In any case, I'm back to trying to figure that out. Once it stops locking on, it seems to play okay. Thoughts?
I also just realized that I don't think I have any GI on the playfield. the inserts all seem to be working fine, but no GI. I need to check that (and I'm assuming the associated fuse) when I get a chance.

Man wish you could catch a break,id prob search for loose/cut wires before i went any furthur

1 week later
#61 4 years ago

Well stuff happens,sounds like youll be a 100% running soon,thats huge having all the drops workin now

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Yup, getting close. If I use the trick where I leave J12 unplugged for a while with the game in attract, then turn it off, plug that back in, and turn it back on, there's no locking and it plays fine. So strange.

That is weird

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbpilot78.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-bringing-it-back-to-life?tu=tbpilot78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.