IMG_1424.jpg
blackoutready-290.jpg
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0432-811.JPG
IMG_0434-489.JPG
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 9 years ago

What is the thickness of the repro backglass? The reason I ask is that I tried to replace a firepower backglass with a repro and it was thicker than the original. I have also seen thin and thick Barracora backglasses. Why are there two different thicknesses?

#102 9 years ago

The Blackout is the 'original' thickness, as I'm not near them right now as it's 11PM, I'm not sure exactly what that is ...

rick

5 months later
#103 8 years ago

Just measured the old and new glass thickness with a micrometer. Reading .187 to .189 in.
Or 3/16"

1 month later
#104 8 years ago

Perfect mine is conimg next week and the backglass isn't bad but still want it, now I need a Firepower please.

8 months later
#105 8 years ago

Any more of these left in stock or someone have one for sale ?

2 months later
#106 7 years ago

We have run some more and they will be here in a few weeks ...

#107 7 years ago

I want in on this

#108 7 years ago

Awesome news on the Blackout glass - I'm im for one for sure !

#109 7 years ago

I have the PPS repro Blackout backglass still in the sealed box. Make me a reasonable offer and I'll put a new shipping label on it to you. I sold my machine.

My Zip is 80303

xIMG_20160622_104719467_(resized).jpgxIMG_20160622_104719467_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#110 7 years ago

Count me in for the new batch! Just got Blackout over the weekend and, while the backglass is pretty good, nearly perfect would be better.

13612152_10157148572965430_3500697404656233777_n_(resized).jpg13612152_10157148572965430_3500697404656233777_n_(resized).jpg

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have the PPS repro Blackout backglass still in the sealed box. Make me a reasonable offer and I'll put a new shipping label on it to you. I sold my machine.
My Zip is 80303

Backglass sold.

1 month later
#112 7 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We have run some more and they will be here in a few weeks ...

Any updates on the Blackout backglass repros?

#113 7 years ago

They are done and getting shipped hopefully next week with more Gorgar as well as the new Alien Poker, so very soon.

rick

#114 7 years ago

fyi ... we had run out and got some more in shipment to us now, so if anyone missed out ...

#115 7 years ago

Put my order in yesterday! Now I need to order some new trim and a lift channel to go with my new glass.

#116 7 years ago

Love mine, I was VERY impressed when I pulled it out of the box, and it made my game look great.

On a side note, I remember seeing somewhere that Pop Bumper caps for Blackout were in the works as well......

Rick????

1 week later
#118 7 years ago

Received my PPS Blackout backglass yesterday and got it installed today. The mirroring is good but definitely not the deeply refelective mirroring of the original. Also, it seems like I'm going to need to redo my lighting because the frosted warm white LEDs from CoinTaker are really washing out parts of the image - particularly the Blackout logo itself which, while black on my original glass with the same lights, is overpowered and comes out gray on the repro.

There are a couple areas like that, another example being the Highest Score area. I'll either back down to incandescents or try putting in a few CoinTaker wide LEDs to see if their dispersed light is less harsh against the back of the glass.

20160909_083518 (resized).jpg20160909_083518 (resized).jpg

20160909_075503 (resized).jpg20160909_075503 (resized).jpg

#119 7 years ago

I swapped in some incandescents, but even they washed things out. For now, I just have no bulbs at all behind the Blackout logo and am switching to darker colors for the rest of the backglass lighting.

Don't get me wrong, the art on the glass is a near perfect reproduction, but I'm not sure what's going on with so much light bleeding through. I've tried three different types of bulbs now and am not happy with the washout. Any ideas?

20160909_230533 (resized).jpg20160909_230533 (resized).jpg

20160909_230341 (resized).jpg20160909_230341 (resized).jpg

#120 7 years ago

Frosted warm whites? You could experiment with dark or even black nail polish on the bulbs to tone down the intensity somewhat perhaps. Maybe just the tips of the bulbs? I didn't have and red leds so I used red nail polish on a bulb, seemed to work ok for backglass lighting. Would never use that method on the playfield though.

#121 7 years ago

I'll give that a shot. I'm also thinking of triple thicking the back and then masking the problem areas.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from SinistarX:

The mirroring is good but definitely not the deeply refelective mirroring of the original.

Complain all you want...nobody that can do anything will care. Had the same issue with my CPR backglass for Space Shuttle. Reported it, was summarily brushed off as basically "mirrored ink is super expensive you should appreciate that" and "maybe we had an old batch of the mirrored ink"....

Plain fact of the matter is that unless you're etching an actual mirror, these repros are *never* going to look correct as far as mirroring goes. Screenable ink is not the same. Neither PPS or CPR is capable (or willing) of dealing with the full process to properly produce a 'true' mirrored backglass.

*edit* To be honest yours looks way better than my Shuttle one did. Like I couldn't get anything other than a blurry reflection at ALL...forget about seeing any kind of detail in a reflection, ha!

#123 7 years ago

Don't know if there is a affordable supplier in Canada to do the mirror etching. Or maybe we have high production costs associated with toxic chemicals.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

high production costs associated with toxic chemicals

To the best of my knowledge, this has been the issue with getting actual mirroring. Nobody wants to deal with that stuff.

#125 7 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1882

I have these behind my reproduction backglass and have been very pleased. Haven't noticed the bleeding light.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1882
I have these behind my reproduction backglass and have been very pleased. Haven't noticed the bleeding light.

Thanks! I'll give those a shot.

#127 7 years ago

I was very happy with the mirroring on my PPS Sorcerer backglass. Looks fantastic.

8 months later
#128 6 years ago

Any chance for another run of these in the future? Dragged my feet a little to long and noticed they're out of stock on the site now.

#129 6 years ago

I ran into the same issue... if you're quick, Cointaker has one left on their website. I just got mine in from them.

#130 6 years ago

Hope he got it - PMd him cointaker link

#131 6 years ago

Bummer. Thanks for the tipoff PinRob, but I didn't get to it in time. That'll learn me to check my email more often.

EDIT: I scoured the interwebs and found one at Ministry of Pinball, so I'm repatriating it back to the US. Merica! Here's hoping it gets all the way from Holland to Alaska in one piece...

#132 6 years ago

Next time I'll send it by PM. Totally forgot about that. Sorry Hepgeek and nice try looking out for him PinRob.

5 months later
#133 6 years ago

Are there any more reproduction Blackout backglass available?

#135 6 years ago

I didn't see those there and thought they were out. I just ordered one from Ministry.

I'm not sure if these cone withthe lift rail at the bottom. Since my backglass was missing I'll need one of those too. Who in the US sell those?

#136 6 years ago

Mine came from PPS and did not have any side trim or stainless lift trim. I polished and reused my old trim. The glass is thick, I believe 3/16". Marco spec sells a stainless lift trim listed for Bally pins that should work, might have to trim to length. Someone else hopefully knows for sure if that will work or where else you can get one. I thought someone on eBay makes/sells them but I decided to use my old ones and can't recall for sure.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I didn't see those there and thought they were out. I just ordered one from Ministry.
I'm not sure if these cone withthe lift rail at the bottom. Since my backglass was missing I'll need one of those too. Who in the US sell those?

Member: gatecrasher sells lift trim and side trim

#138 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gatecrashers-hardware-vids-review

Last page has current catalogue...just measured my repro backglass and it's 28.5 inches wide, same as his stainless lift channel and it comes with the 3 plastic trim pieces for free to finish it off. Damn I think I want one, this glass deserves it.

#139 6 years ago

Well...there goes that paycheck.

In other news, I hope I didn't steer you wrong Robotworkshop. PPS was totally sold out when I bought mine awhile back. And they were damn expensive on shipping when I bought my Sorcerer glass (thank god for Marco flat rate shipping)

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from hepgeek:

Well...there goes that paycheck.
In other news, I hope I didn't steer you wrong Robotworkshop. PPS was totally sold out when I bought mine awhile back. And they were damn expensive on shipping when I bought my Sorcerer glass (thank god for Marco flat rate shipping)

I'm just happy that it looks like I can get one! The machine needs that backglass to be complete. Now I will work on ordering that trim so I can use it.

#141 6 years ago

Yes, we just received new supply of Blackout backglasses.

#142 6 years ago

How's the mirroring look this time?

John

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-backglass-repro/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.