IMG_20200527_184144[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_20200527_184217[1] (resized).jpg
DSCN3844 (resized).JPG
DSCN3843 (resized).JPG
DSCN3840 (resized).JPG
DSCN3841 (resized).JPG
DSCN3842 (resized).JPG
DSCN3839 (resized).JPG
Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_layout.pdf (PDF preview)
Williams Blackout manual.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 3 years ago

I picked up a Blackout and Flash about a month ago and Skip has been helping me with the parts I need So little by little I've been piecing them back together. However there are lots of wires cut moreso on the blackout as anything that had a solenoid was cut out. If anyone has either these games and would be willing to take photos of the the flippers slingshots pop bumpers etc so I can start to rewire everything up It would make my life a lot easier. If it were one or two things I would probably be able to stumble my way through but its quite a bit and I was hoping someone would do this so I can bring these two pins back from the dead.

#2 3 years ago

I'm sure someone will get you some photos, but you should really just learn to read the schematic. All the coil wiring should be very clearly labeled

#3 3 years ago

I can read a schematic for the most part but like I said its a lot of wires in addition the copy for blackout on the pinball database isnt very good and I couldn't find the schematics for Flash. Like I said in my initial post if it was one or two things I'd fumble my way through it but I'd say its about nearly 50 wires total on the Flash and over that for the Blackout

#4 3 years ago

I think this is very good....

Williams Blackout manual.pdfWilliams Blackout manual.pdf
#5 3 years ago

This file is also very good.
It's for Firepower, but Williams used the same wire order on all games.
I just check for the solenoids between Blackout and Firepower and they match.

Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_layout.pdfWilliams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_layout.pdf
#6 3 years ago

So the wires are the same color codes on the playfield? Blackout only has three pop bumpers. All the plugs in the backbox have been cut off too. so it will be helpful in that manner but it doesnt have the same lighting spinner setup as blackout so I'm not sure how any of this will help me with the playfield wiring. What gauge is the wiring? It does appear that there are two different sizes on the playfield and many of the wires will need to be extended due to them being cut short. I have mainly video arcade games in my collection but these two were so cheap I though I would give it a shot at bring them back to life. At least if I screw something up the investment was relatively low for pinball machines anyway and hopefully I'll learn something along the way.

#7 3 years ago

Yes, the wires should have the same colors.
Don't look at the assingment of the wire.
Look at the wire colors.
You can always folow the wire to their source.
The Special solenoids (pop bumpers and slingshots) are always in the same place, the upper left section of the driver board.
The assigned transistor may vari.
Time to learn to read schematics.....

#8 3 years ago

I can read schematics as stated earlier this my first time taking on a repair of this magnitude as well as the first time I've worked on any under playfield issues. Its not really the solenoids that have caused the issues its more the switches and the amount of wires that are connected. Sadly I thought I would get a little more help here other than telling me to read the schematic. I didn't need to post this to know I needed to follow them. I just thought someone would be kind enough to help me understand how to wire up the switches etc as well as being able to help me check my work, but apparently all I got was a brick wall. I'm sure many of you were as green as I am when attempting repairs and hopefully someone was kind enough to share that knowledge with you rather then telling you to read a book LOL

#9 3 years ago

Try posting in the Flash Club and Blackout Club threads, hopefully you'll get the photo you've asked for.

#10 3 years ago

Here's some pics - these are of the flippers, middle drop target bank, and slingshots. As far as switches, you will need to learn to read the switch matrix chart. It will show you a switch number, and the color of the wire to the switch. Note the diode orientation - that will help you to get the correct wire on the correct side of the diode on the switch.

As far as wire size - I'm pretty sure 18 gauge for the coil supply, 20 or 22 for coil return. Since you are missing connectors, GPE is a great source, and if you ask nicely and be patient, Ed may even be able to offer some advice.

Inkochnito is correct, the wiring for the point to point stuff is the same - switch 13 is switch 13, regardless of which system 4 - 6 game you have.

Sorry that nobody offered you the immediate help you desired. Yes, we all started somewhere, however, some of us still have a life during Covid and can't drop what we're doing to do something else.

Be patient, and if you need more pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

DSCN3839 (resized).JPGDSCN3839 (resized).JPGDSCN3840 (resized).JPGDSCN3840 (resized).JPGDSCN3841 (resized).JPGDSCN3841 (resized).JPGDSCN3842 (resized).JPGDSCN3842 (resized).JPGDSCN3843 (resized).JPGDSCN3843 (resized).JPGDSCN3844 (resized).JPGDSCN3844 (resized).JPG
#11 3 years ago

Thanks for posting some photos from what I see I'm doing alright. Looks like I will need to change the switches on my right flipper mine is only a single switch and I was wondering where those additional wires went to I'll have to try to track down that correct switch setup is that a lane change switch? . Ill post some photos of the work I've completed tommorrow as well as other problem areas that I am unsure of. I have to do a supply run for wiring shrink wrap hardware paint magic erasers and wax

#12 3 years ago

That extra switch on the right flipper is switch # 46, lane change, white/blue and green/blue. Watch the orientation to the diode.

#13 3 years ago

I think I misunderstood you.
I though you had all the connector wires cut in the backbox.
I never thought about the wires at the coils and switches themself.
Sorry about that...

#14 3 years ago

Well the Flash does have all the backbox wires cut LOL but I'm trying to put together both playfields first. I dont think the Blackout backbox is actually original and probably from another williams machine as it doesnt have the GI lighting relay. I've uploaded a few photos the first two are the flippers on the Blackout and one of the pop bumpers as well two out of the three still had the switches wired up but the third did not so I soldered one in. If anyone see's any mistakes feel free to chime in. I've still got to replace both slingshot and switches playfield kickout and switches one of the top lane roll overs, the top spinner and the top three bank target set which was completely cut out

IMG_20200527_184056[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20200527_184056[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20200527_184144[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20200527_184144[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20200527_184217[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20200527_184217[1] (resized).jpg
#15 3 years ago

i have flash what do you need pictures of

#16 3 years ago

Well the problem areas that I am trying to repair first are the three flippers and both slingshot. Also a shot of the small board that controls the Flash in the playfield mine of complete;y gone so I'm just going to make a new board with new resistors Pretty much everything is gone so any photos you can give me would be appreciated Does anyone know the screw size for the screws that hold down the boards in the backbox? Those are all missing too
Thanks
Jim

2 weeks later
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from junkyardjedi:

Well the problem areas that I am trying to repair first are the three flippers and both slingshot. Also a shot of the small board that controls the Flash in the playfield mine of complete;y gone so I'm just going to make a new board with new resistors Pretty much everything is gone so any photos you can give me would be appreciated Does anyone know the screw size for the screws that hold down the boards in the backbox? Those are all missing too
Thanks
Jim

so sorry for not getting back to you...if you still need pic's I WILL send them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-and-flash?hl=randy_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.