Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5513C726-21C8-466C-AC9E-4994F668D593 (resized).png
    584500ec61923c1e8bc7fe2d278cf1b7dff40eb6 (resized).jpg
    20220220_185009 (resized).jpg
    04D202BD-6C63-46B4-9959-91D9CD1A2966 (resized).jpeg
    00DCFBF1-7EAC-45CA-83FF-2DFCDC28CBAB (resized).jpeg
    20220205_141536 (resized).jpg
    8C761D0D-B62C-4806-AEB8-F2D6F848EE78 (resized).jpeg
    Sabbath 89 (resized).jpeg
    tony.gif
    22249006-B19F-414D-B825-80330871C168 (resized).jpeg
    6EBF3D61-7739-4747-BA0D-B4CD3350A331 (resized).jpeg
    7BF3DF42-F00B-4B54-AD2F-1571E69FE222 (resized).jpeg
    71F19E26-ECDC-4BE9-95A8-52BC698489BB (resized).jpeg
    60702A7F-0C95-452B-BEED-8DD75E3A11A5 (resized).jpeg
    MV5BZThhMjk5MzAtYTkxNS00OTZlLWJkOTYtYjA1ZTNlZWVmNjI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    BlackSabbathHomeOfMetalLAExhibit2018 (1) (resized).jpg
    There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Ozzy could really sing in those days. It's a shame his voice just couldn't keep up by the mid 70s. Never again could they play songs from albums 4, 5 and 6.

I'm sure with Stern and the rest of the world coming to realize how awful their manager is, it probably wont happen now. Or atleast for awhile.

Funny you say that - I am literally at this moment listening to this bootleg from 75 - he sounds AMAZING! it's from the Sabotage tour - Symptom of the Universe is BAM! Knock you out. And they do a version of Megalomania which is really a step up from the album. Not 5 minutes before I read your comment was I saying to my wife how great Ozzy is singing. And not "singing great.. for Ozzy", but really just hitting the notes great. Coked out of his mind (he mentions it specifically a number of times). He's way over his range as usual, but with a couple real high notes he's a little flat on, this is a phenomenal show. I bet they couldn't even hear themselves up there. -SYMPTOM OF THE UNIVERSE- sounds really good. Trying singing that song some time. Your head will explode.

Probably Bill's best tour IMO

EDIT: meant to post the link:

check out Megalomania, it sounds like something that could have been off 13

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Funny you say that - I am literally at this moment listening to this bootleg from 75 - he sounds AMAZING! it's from the Sabotage tour - Symptom of the Universe is BAM! Knock you out. And they do a version of Megalomania which is really a step up from the album. Not 5 minutes before I read your comment was I saying to my wife how great Ozzy is singing. And not "singing great.. for Ozzy", but really just hitting the notes great. Coked out of his mind (he mentions it specifically a number of times). He's way over his range as usual, but with a couple real high notes he's a little flat on, this is a phenomenal show. I bet they couldn't even hear themselves up there. -SYMPTOM OF THE UNIVERSE- sounds really good. Trying singing that song some time. Your head will explode.

Yep I've heard a few '75 boots and they sound killer.

Again, people love to shit on Ozzy but have you heard superior "singers" like Dio and Halford doing the classic Ozzy stuff? Generally it just sounds fuckin' weird.

There's only one Ozzy.

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Again, people love to shit on Ozzy but have you heard superior "singers" like Dio and Halford doing the classic Ozzy stuff? Generally it just sounds fuckin' weird.
    There's only one Ozzy.

The Halford ones I'll give him a pass since he only had like half a day to prepare for the ones in 92 and I think the later shows were just a goof. Dio always sounds like Dio. Even in Elf: Dio.

Dio did a great job on the Alice Cooper tribute doing "Welcome to My Nightmare"

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is it the New Jersey show? Towards the end you can hear him change the way he's singing. That tour was the last time they did Megalomania, which is a shame because it's such an epic song. They kept Symptom and I think Hole in the Sky for the Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die tours, but Ozzy started to sing with more of a growl in his voice. He just couldn't do them like he used to.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There's only one Ozzy.

I didn't mind Dio singing the Ozzy stuff, but just at a minimum. The Dio material is still good on it's own.

Ozzy could still sing but they left so many good Ozzy era songs on the table because he just couldn't match the original, especially for the final tours. The same tours they offered a lowball contract to Bill Ward because he can't play 'em all like he used to. How ironic.

But what I love about Ozzy over Dio is he didn't do all that extra harmony stuff and improvisation like trying to sing and hum over Tony's solos.

I do think Ian Gillian did the Ozzy stuff well, especially "War Pigs" and "Black Sabbath" live.

But yes, there is only ONE Ozzy. I hope we get more live releases in the future.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Is it the New Jersey show? Towards the end you can hear him change the way he's singing. That tour was the last time they did Megalomania, which is a shame because it's such an epic song. They kept Symptom and I think Hole in the Sky for the Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die tours, but Ozzy started to sing with more of a growl in his voice. He just couldn't do them like he used to.

I didn't mind Dio singing the Ozzy stuff, but just at a minimum. The Dio material is still good on it's own.
    Ozzy could still sing but they left so many good Ozzy era songs on the table because he just couldn't match the original, especially for the final tours. The same tours they offered a lowball contract to Bill Ward because he can't play 'em all like he used to. How ironic.
    But what I love about Ozzy over Dio is he didn't do all that extra harmony stuff and improvisation like trying to sing and hum over Tony's solos.
    I do think Ian Gillian did the Ozzy stuff well, especially "War Pigs" and "Black Sabbath" live.
    But yes, there is only ONE Ozzy. I hope we get more live releases in the future.

Yes, the Asbury Park show. During Megalomania he starts to sing it lower - but then Tony does 3 or 4 hours of guitar solos and Ozz comes back and he's back up to the higher register again. Apparently a couple of these are on either Past Lives or Live at last(?). It's a great recording

I assumed this was after Sabotage came out, but I think it's actually the SBS tour (I suppose I could just look it up...)

#106 3 years ago

Ozz is hilarious - Spiral Architect, the height of their flip-out cosmic prog period, they go into Children of the Grave, he's "I know you're all wonderful people,. I love you all!!!" - then "Revolution in their minds, the children start to march..." He's such a huge hippie, it's hilarious

SO WHERE IS THIs GAME!? I might have to do a homebrew

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I think Ozzy was just lazy and didn't feel like "learning" any "new" songs. Geezer said as much. His voice is still good enough to sing anything from the first 3 albums and it's not like they were busting out The Wizard. It was just the same set more or less they'd been playing for 15 years.

The Bill Ward situation sucked but I really put that on Bill. I don't think he really wanted to tour. I think he was afraid he couldn't hack it. Mentally and physically he's been in rough shape for a very long time.

People forget Bill bailed out of yet ANOTHER recent Sabbath reunion at the last minute; the "Heaven and Hell" reunion with dio in 2007 or so. He was originally part of that show but once again quit right before the tour started with more bullshit explanations so they called up Vinny. I don't think he WANTED to do these tours and that's why there was always some reason he "couldn't." I have a hard time believing the real reason he didn't do those shows was because he didn't like the contract. He took those complaints public awfully early and didn't really seem interested in actually making it happen.

Sharon was the easy boogyman there but the show had to go on. I'll cherish those reunion/final tour shows I saw they were fuckin killer, and Ozzy's fill in drummer did a great job.

I know it's a different time now, but here's bill recently admitting he can't play any more
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bill-ward-black-sabbath/

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think Ozzy was just lazy and didn't feel like "learning" any "new" songs. Geezer said as much. His voice is still good enough to sing anything from the first 3 albums and it's not like they were busting out The Wizard. It was just the same set more or less they'd been playing for 15 years.
    The Bill Ward situation sucked but I really put that on Bill. I don't think he really wanted to tour. I think he was afraid he couldn't hack it. Mentally and physically he's been in rough shape for a very long time.
    People forget Bill bailed out of yet ANOTHER recent Sabbath reunion at the last minute; the "Heaven and Hell" reunion with dio in 2007 or so. He was originally part of that show but once again quit right before the tour started with more bullshit explanations so they called up Vinny. I don't think he WANTED to do these tours and that's why there was always some reason he "couldn't." I have a hard time believing the real reason he didn't do those shows was because he didn't like the contract. He took those complaints public awfully early and didn't really seem interested in actually making it happen.
    Sharon was the easy boogyman there but the show had to go on. I'll cherish those reunion/final tour shows I saw they were fuckin killer, and Ozzy's fill in drummer did a great job.
    I know it's a different time now, but here's bill recently admitting he can't play any more

Sadly, I agree about Bill. That really sucked about the tour (although damn he should have played on 13). But he hadn't played on ANYTHING since the live shows on the 2000 reunion record, and he doesn't even play on 1 of the new studio songs on that album (it's a drum machine).

They did lowball him - that part is true. I don't know if that's the real motivation for him sitting out the tour (probably not, as stated). From the band management perspective (Sharon), it's because they had to hire Tommy to be a backup in case Bill had an episode, or just flat out couldn't play. Really sucks regardless.

#109 3 years ago

Did any of you catch the Call of the Wild tour for the Headless Cross album? That was really an under-appreciated lineup for Sabbath: Iommi, Cozy Powell on drums, Tony Martin on vocals, Geoff Nicholls on keyboards, and Laurence Cottle on bass. Brian May even did a guest solo on the record. It was easily the best album since the Dio days. Ticket sales didn't follow, though. They cancelled the tour after eight shows. It's too bad too, because the show was amazing!

Sabbath 89 (resized).jpegSabbath 89 (resized).jpeg

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know. I think Dio sounds great on the Ozzy era songs on Live Evil.

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Did any of you catch the Call of the Wild tour for the Headless Cross album? That was really an under-appreciated lineup for Sabbath: Iommi, Cozy Powell on drums, Tony Martin on vocals, Geoff Nicholls on keyboards, and Laurence Cottle on bass. Brian May even did a guest solo on the record. It was easily the best album since the Dio days. Ticket sales didn't follow, though. They cancelled the tour after eight shows. It's too bad too, because the show was amazing!
    [quoted image]

Good album. I just think the general public wasn’t too interested in seeing tony and three no name scabs parading around as sabbath.

Going to an ozzy show in 1989 you’d have gotten more sabbath!!!!! Geezer was in ozzys band at that time.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I dont entirely sympathize for Bill, as much as I love the guy. I think obviously the drinking did some damage. But I feel like in those later years he took exception to the 4 of them not being acknowledged as equals, and not just from a performing standpoint. The whole Bill thing is just a bummer.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Good album. I just think the general public wasn’t too interested in seeing tony and three no name scabs parading around as sabbath.

You watch your mouth! Cozy Powell was no scrub.

Charo can front Black Sabbath and I'd still go for Tony's riffs.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

You watch your mouth! Cozy Powell was no scrub.
    Charro can front Black Sabbath and I'd still go for Tony's riffs.

I didn’t call him a scrub, just a scab!

I did say no name. Which I take back !

#114 3 years ago

I just thought of something. Stern could make a Sabotage LE and utilize the mirror on the album cover to be an actual mirrored backglass.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I just thought of something. Stern could make a Sabotage LE and utilize the mirror on the album cover to be an actual mirrored backglass.

Brilliant...sign me up!

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

But it would still be Ozzy wearing Bill’s housecoat, and a pantsless Bill scrambling to find those red leotards right before the shoot. Pretty sure I heard that somewhere

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just think the general public wasn’t too interested in seeing tony and three no name scabs parading around as sabbath.

I have to disagree with that characterization, Levi. They were Tony’s hand picked crew. Cozy Powell’s resume was like a hard rock who’s who. Martin and Nicholls were Birmingham locals, well known to Iommi. Nicholls had been in the band since before the Heaven and Hell album. Martin was the longest serving Sabbath vocalist other than Ozzy. Cottle was a jazz fusion bassist who had just come off of the last two Alan Parson’s Project albums.

It was a very tight band. Best of all, I got to see them in what was basically a large club setting. I was 8 to 10 feet from Tony the whole show! Was it the same experience as the later reunion arena/amphitheater shows? No. The classic lineup is the true lightning in the bottle, but Tony did not play with scabs.

1 week later
    #118 3 years ago

Maybe Spooky would do a Mac Sabbath machine (Look them up, haha).
    Pretty sure the license WAY cheaper.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:Maybe Spooky would do a Mac Sabbath machine (Look them up, haha).
    Pretty sure the license WAY cheaper.

That band is awesome. But the licensing would be crazy! Sabbath AND McDonald’s?!

1 week later
    #120 3 years ago

2 months later
    #121 2 years ago

#122 2 years ago

This needs to happen.

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

That was really an under-appreciated lineup for Sabbath: Iommi, Cozy Powell on drums, Tony Martin on vocals, Geoff Nicholls on keyboards, and Laurence Cottle on bass.

No it was under appreciated with good reason.

#124 2 years ago

Just picked up the Sabotage deluxe box. Finally a decent remaster (my last Sabbath haul was the Castle releases in the 90s), and the tour book and special retrospective volume are really great.

I have Paranoid and Vol 4 - Anyone know if there’s a Deluxe version of the first album? Still waiting for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just picked up the Sabotage deluxe box. Finally a decent remaster (my last Sabbath haul was the Castle releases in the 90s), and the tour book and special retrospective volume are really great.
    I have Paranoid and Vol 4 - Anyone know if there’s a Deluxe version of the first album? Still waiting for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

I really need to pick those up.

No first album yet, but I am certainly looking forward to a Sabbath Bloody Sabbath release with live material.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I really need to pick those up.
    No first album yet, but I am certainly looking forward to a Sabbath Bloody Sabbath release with live material.

1000% agree. I have the first album "Deluxe" edition, but not the "Super Deluxe". After hearing all those bootlegs on Youtube, I doubt there's much else to release, but I'd still like to get a copy of the first album on vinyl or CD with the original inverted cross fold-out.

SBS tour was crazy, although I don't know how great the performances were, since that was the height of the debauchery

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Charo can front Black Sabbath and I'd still go for Tony's riffs.

Charo is the better guitarist. No shit.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Not sure if she plays any more, but I gotta say I agree - from a technical standpoint, she'd give Paco De Lucia a run for it. However: she doesn't have THE RIFFS!!!

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

She is fantastic, but I was saying from the perspective of anyone can be the singer for Sabbath and would still see them regardless as long as Tony is there. Plus Geezer, even better.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

She is fantastic, but I was saying from the perspective of anyone can be the singer for Sabbath and would still see them regardless as long as Tony is there. Plus Geezer, even better.

The general public didn't really agree with this sentiment, as Sabbath's declining attendance and general fortunes as the 80s went on can attest to.

I love Sabbath and I love Tony, but if Ozzy - or a lesser degree, Dio - isn't involved I really have little interest. There was a certain magic and chemistry there that just isn't present if Tony Martin is up front accompanied by two other scabs.

#131 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The general public didn't really agree with this sentiment, as Sabbath's declining attendance and general fortunes as the 80s went on can attest to.
    I love Sabbath and I love Tony, but if Ozzy - or a lesser degree, Dio - isn't involved I really have little interest. There was a certain magic and chemistry there that just isn't present if Tony Martin is up front accompanied by two other scabs.

I think each line up had its moments, but of course Ozzy had an incredible solo career and became iconic, so it did overshadow the band in those years.

Which is unfortunate because they did have good albums in the 80s. Born Again being one of my favorites, with Ian Gillan on vocals. It's such a killer album.

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I think each line up had its moments, but of course Ozzy had an incredible solo career and became iconic, so it did overshadow the band in those years.
    Which is unfortunate because they did have good albums in the 80s. Born Again being one of my favorites, with Ian Gillan on vocals. It's such a killer album.

I used to hate it but now I see some of its charms...it certainly is HEAVY and out there. The project was a little too weird for my tastes.

There are some decent Tony Martin songs here and there - The Shining is pretty good!

I think we can all agree none of this shit is getting anywhere near a Sabbath pinball machine. Most likely it would just be 1970-1978.

#133 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I used to hate it but now I see some of its charms...it certainly is HEAVY and out there. The project was a little too weird for my tastes.
    There are some decent Tony Martin songs here and there - The Shining is pretty good!
    I think we can all agree none of this shit is getting anywhere near a Sabbath pinball machine. Most likely it would just be 1970-1978.

Not “most likely” - it’s 100%. Sharon is in charge of the Sabbath catalog.

#134 2 years ago

LOL I just checked out a bunch of early/ mid-70s Charo concerts and she is on FIRE! I really miss the 70s

#135 2 years ago

HEAVY is right. Purple meets Sabbath. What's not to love?

#136 2 years ago

You probably know this, but they did Smoke on the Water during the encore.

The whole thing was a pretty bizarre enterprise. Gillian claimed they went out to a bar and got wasted and the next morning he was informed he had joined Black Sabbath.

#137 2 years ago

Yeah, they had ELO drummer Bev Bevan on that tour as well. I love the whole album. I don't think Gillan could ever sing like that ever since.

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You probably know this, but they did Smoke on the Water during the encore.
    The whole thing was a pretty bizarre enterprise. Gillian claimed they went out to a bar and got wasted and the next morning he was informed he had joined Black Sabbath.

And his manager was PISSED!

#139 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And his manager was PISSED!

Probably no coincidence Deep Purple got back together shortly thereafter.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Probably no coincidence Deep Purple got back together shortly thereafter.

Hell yes, Perfect Strangers

#141 2 years ago

Next pinball depression threads are depressing. So whenever I get depressed, this song takes me away.

It's a favorite of both John Bonham and Frank Zappa, plus Ian Gillan insisted on singing it during his time in Sabbath.

I just realized, if there is a Vol. 4 themed pin (black cab with white logo and band member silouettes) that would look incredible next to the LZ Premium, whose art is also minimalistic.

7 months later
    #142 2 years ago

#143 2 years ago

With Rush now hitting the pavement in 2022, it’s time to look forward to 23 as far as music pins go.Will 23 be the year of Sabbath or will Foo Fighters knock us back again ? Does anyone have any info as to what music licenses Stern might be holding ?

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Does anyone have any info as to what music licenses Stern might be holding ?

Yes. I think George Gomez has some info.

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yes. I think George Gomez has some info.

Ok ,does anyone here drink and smoke weed with George ?

#146 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

As long as its the DIO years and not Ozzy.... Im in

Dio was great but why? To Troll?

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

With Rush now hitting the pavement in 2022, it’s time to look forward to 23 as far as music pins go.Will 23 be the year of Sabbath or will Foo Fighters knock us back again ? Does anyone have any info as to what music licenses Stern might be holding ?

Please,,,,,Sabbath before Foo!!

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Please,,,,,Sabbath before Foo!!

Even Grohl would probably agree.

#149 2 years ago

Foo fighters doesn't really make sense for a pin. I love them and probably listen to them more than Sabbath. But.....if you think about the other music pins.....Foo is just not there in my opinion. Sabbath would work and would be sweet. I could just imagine the song Black Sabbath kicking during multi ball....volume level at 11....sirens blaring.....satan slowly coming up from below the play field.....

#150 2 years ago

Whatever happens, if it happens, I hope they do it right. I'd like to see a throwback psychedelic 70s art style for sure.

13 tracks from 70-78 that l they could realistically use (with plenty more left out.) How many tracks did Rush have?

N.I.B.
    Paranoid
    Iron Man
    Children of the Grave
    Into the Void
    Tomorrow's Dream
    Supernaut
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Spiral Architect
    Hole in the Sky
    Symptom of the Universe
    All Moving Parts
    Never Say Die

Would like to have "Black Sabbath", "War Pigs", and "Supertzar" for modes.

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-sabbath-wanted/page/3?hl=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.