10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 months ago

Have a newly acquired black rose machine that it having weird sound issues. Game starts fine, and the sounds all work, but about midway through a ball, the sound will go out or get stuck on one note. When the ball drains, it resets and is fine.

In test mode, all sounds work perfectly except for sound 10, which is end of video mode. It always trails off, but never ends, and then no other sounds will play in test mode until I restart it.

I reflowed pins and changed the ribbon cable. At this point, I'm thinking it's board related. I know that u9 is a common culprit, so I may replace that. Anyone have ideas on how to isolate such a problem?

#2 10 months ago

Oddly enough I would check flipper diodes. A cracked, broken or missing one could be spiking the board causing the issue.

1 week later
    #3 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Oddly enough I would check flipper diodes. A cracked, broken or missing one could be spiking the board causing the issue.

I unhooked the flippers from the board and ran it in sound test with no change, so I don't think it's the flippers.

At this point, I'm leaning less towards cracked solder and more toward corrupt memory. I could be wrong, but it's so consistent on what sound it goes out on in the test mode. Cracked solder tends to work sometimes and not others.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for the help!

#4 10 months ago

Ribbon cables are a frequent source of losing sound or playing the wrong sound. "Gets stuck on one note".

If unplugging and plugging in the ribbon cable helps the situation, the connectors on the ribbon cables go bad and a replacement ribbon cable will fix your problem.

But I've had to replace all the sound roms before, so it's not entirely uncommon to need to do that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-stuck-on-certain-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.