Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by hootowls
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys, I picked up a Black Rose earlier today, basically working except for some cannon alignment issues. It was still working when I first got it home and into the basement. I did all my under the playfield work (cannon adjustments) with the game off, then slid it into my lineup.

Upon booting, I got a "check F114 and F115" message. F115 was blown. I removed the power to the CPU, replaced F115, and it booted normally. For this, I'm suspecting U20 on the CPU (ULN2803) or another IC, and will test those soon.

When I replaced F115 initially, I made the mistake of putting a slow blow in the place of a fast blow; I blew at least one solenoid fuse at that point. Now, when I have the solenoid connectors (J107, J127, J130) connected to the board, F104 and F105 blow; when I disconnect them, fuses don't blow. In total, the game has blown F104, F105, F114, and F115.

*maybe worth noting, the game has a Rottendog CPU board.

That brings me to a few questions.
1. It seems like initially my problem was just with the CPU board; should I suspect that's the root cause? (I don't think I had fuses beyond F115 blowing until I overfused that one, even with everything connected.)

2. Could CPU issues cause stuff on the driver board to fail?

Any help would be much appreciated; I'm a little miffed by how adjusting the cannon and moving the game could kill it, unless my Rottendog CPU is just that screwy.

#2 9 years ago

If all was working prior to doing work under the playfield I'd suspect something simple like a bent bulb socket shorting against something.

#3 9 years ago

I didn't see anything at first glance but will check again.

Would an MPU issue potentially end up causing the driver board issues I seem to have now?

#4 9 years ago

A short under the playfield can cause a failure on the MPU board, sure. You should check your voltages too as a bad capacitor on the driver board can happen too. But that things seemed to go south after the playfield work suggests either a coil or socket short might be a place to start looking.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 34.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-started-blowing-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.