2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have a mate with a Black Rose. He turned it on and there was a sparking sound and smoke coming from 'the speakers'. When i went around there, as i suspected the 1uf tantalum capacitors had exploded on the sound board, and this was the sound and smoke - i must have rose up from the ound board and through the speakers (they are at the tpo of the head).

Anyway, i threw a working spare sound board in there, and its only the upper right speaker that is working (and its very scratchy sounding), the upper left and cab speaker are not working.

I took the non working board home, and replaced the caps, as well as a track that exploded at the same time and have it now working in one of my machines. Before i take it back to re-install in his Black Rose, i want to knwo what to do about the non working speakers? Could the caps exploding have wrecked the speakers, or could it be something else? Any tests or parts i should take with me?

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

I would recommend testing the speakers, and certainly any failure with the sound board could have damaged them. You are also correct in testing the speakers before using them again, as a damaged speaker can damage the sound amplifier. Quick and dirty testing with a multimeter is easy:
    To use the multimeter, set it to read resistance. It may have an ohms symbol for this setting. After this, place the leads of the multimeter on the speaker terminals. You can touch the positive and negative leads to either terminal when reading resistance. If you have a 4 ohm (impedance) speaker, it could measure the resistance on the multimeter between 2 and 3.4 ohms, an 8 ohms speaker could measure between 5 to 7 ohms, and a 16 ohms speaker might measure between 12 to 14 ohms. If a speaker measures very low or no resistance, then it is bad. This means there is a short inside the speaker. If the speaker measures a very high resistance, it is also bad. This means there is a broken connection in the speaker. Either way, the speaker will need to be replaced.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-speakers-after-sound-board-explosion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.