(Topic ID: 157900)

Black Rose loud Pop/Bang (not when turning off)

By zacaj

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Finally put together a Black Rose that had been sitting non-working for at least a decade with previous owner, so unknown condition. Rottendog MPU (looks new, but no way to tell how many years old it is), rest of boards seem original. Prior to turning it on I went through checking voltages, etc at every board, plugging in minimal things each time and rechecking, to make sure it was alright, and everything checked out. Connected new batteries, booted it up, got the factory reset message (expected), turned it off and on, adjustments were retained, everything seems fine. Checked coils, all fine, checked flashers, all fine, went to all lamp test to see what sockets were bad. While making a note of what lights weren't on, when I heard a very loud pop / bang from the backbox. Couldn't tell whether it was from the speakers or something else. Immediately shut the game off, opened backbox and did a visual inspection of all the boards, but didn't see anything. Checked various areas to see if anything was heated up, but didn't find anything. Checked all fuses, but they were fine. Turned it back on, everything still works fine, but I got the factory reset message again. Turned off and on, and the message went away. Don't know much about WPC, is there anything anyone could think of that could have caused it, or that I could check? I'm out of ideas besides 'ignore it until it happens again'...

#2 7 years ago

Was there any smoke or burnt smell also? Maybe a large capacitor or battery...

#3 7 years ago

No smoke or burnt smell (though I burnt something earlier on the machine next to it so if it was subtle I wouldn't have been able to tell). I sniffed around in the back box and no area stood out. Do you think a capacitor could make a sound like that with no outward appearance of damage? (they all looked normal)

#4 7 years ago

Make sure there are no components arcing against the ground plane behind the boards. If you can, remove each board and examine for burn marks behind it. And while you have the boards out check the back sides for anything unusual like bad solder joints or obvious hacks.

#5 7 years ago

Wasnt it the backbox replay knocker?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

went to all lamp test to see what sockets were bad. While making a note of what lights weren't on, when I heard a very loud pop / bang from the backbox.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

went to all lamp test to see what sockets were bad. While making a note of what lights weren't on, when I heard a very loud pop / bang from the backbox.

Pure speculation ... but the bang could have been something that was shorted becoming an open ... in which case it wont do it again but you will find that something is not working. Concentrate your efforts on the non working lamps, you may find that you have an entire column out.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Pure speculation ... but the bang could have been something that was shorted becoming an open ... in which case it wont do it again but you will find that something is not working. Concentrate your efforts on the non working lamps, you may find that you have an entire column out.

All lights are working now, I fixed the only problem. Will do another coil+flasher test to see if one of those blew.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 34.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 40.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-loud-popbang-not-when-turning-off and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.