• Latest reply 6 years ago by websherpa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0512  (resized).jpg
IMG_0511 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider websherpa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Quick question for other Black Rose owner/fixers.

I'm paying some long overdue attention to my Black Rose and noticed that when I set it up again, everything was fine. But after a score of plays, I find that the Davey Jones Locker pop-up ramp will no longer come cleanly down to meet the playfield (it rubs against the side to the ramp walls). That prevents the ball from being shot from the plunger lane and cleanly making it up the Davy Jones Locker ramp. It was working fine and flat for a while, and now it's binding.

When checking it, nothing was loose, but I can also not see an obvious way to make it come down clearing the sidewall (on the side closeset to the middle of the playfield). Has anyone encountered this before and is there an obvious adjustment or bent part that I am not seeing? I've never had a part binding like this where I can't easily determine which part has bent out of shape.

The way the ramp works is that there is a triangle of metal welded to the bottom of the ramp and a locking dual solenoid pushes an arm with a bushing on it that rides along that triangle and wedges the ramp up. But as far as I can tell it's only gravity that brings it down when the solenoid plunger is released by an unlocking coil.

Thanks!

IMG_0511 (resized).jpgIMG_0511 (resized).jpg

IMG_0512  (resized).jpgIMG_0512 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Quick addition to this. When looking at my own photo it cues me to the fact that the top ramp flap and the ball trail on the ramp itself don't match up. And looking at it upside down, it does appear as if the TOP of the ramp is now too far to the left causing the binding at the bottom right.

But what is strange is that the left ramp wall is a solid piece that holds the pivot for that ramp and I can see no way that it could suddenly "shift" over that distance.

#4 6 years ago

Thank you exflexer I appreciate this (I didn't get a notification of your post so it's a good thing I checked back in).

Well I did eventually figure out that I could adjust the slide pin and the pivots on the ramp, however, in the end I made it too loose such that the ramp is completely free now and although it will work on occasion, it now flaps strongly up and then doesn't quite lock on the locking flap of the second solenoid all the time and simply bangs back down (so in fact I made it worse... lol!)

The other thing I noted was that the under playful bracket for the solenoid that pulls the ramp down was quite bent. I straightened it thinking as you said it's a much used item, but I'm wondering if it was purposely bent by an operator to give it more travel, to pull the solenoid in more to lock it.

It's a shame that it's so awkward to work on at the head of the playfield. It looks like I'm going to have to take th entire two solenoid assembly apart to review how it works and maybe start changing out worn for new parts as well.

Any other hints are greatly appreciated. It's odd that for a while there the ramp was working perfectly (air could make the ramp from the plunger no problem, but then could no longer once it suddenly started jamming before coming all he was down (without any visible change that I could detect).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 34.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider websherpa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-davey-jones-locker-ramp-not-seating?tu=websherpa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.