• Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31-1655-SET (resized).jpg
89539C62-A0DC-4B74-8286-5DD91D41FDC7 (resized).jpeg
20240203_192829 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240105_184120_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e9d73b89c70d6495b6a0cb45dc76cce9 (resized).jpg
20210724_181347 (resized).jpg
372951015_1333173387326857_6297914620449767896_n.jpg
3588FEEE-F21F-4133-BD86-E554A175DC14 (resized).jpeg
webStore BR2 - 600x400 (resized).jpg
Bracket (resized).png
20230731_163944 (resized).jpg
20230731_163924 (resized).jpg
20230731_163833 (resized).jpg
20230731_163815 (resized).jpg
20230731_163615 (resized).jpg
20230731_163658 (resized).jpg
20230731_163553 (resized).jpg
There are 1,896 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 38.
#301 7 years ago

Since BR is prone to fading, has anyone here repainted? I've found some references to a couple machines where Vitrea glass paint was used on the cabinet and looked good. Pic from before I set mine up. On mine the blue is good but yellow and red have faded. Just wondering what other owners have done. Repaint it or leave the fade for character? If repainted, what paint and application was used?

IMG_20160201_204704789_(resized).jpgIMG_20160201_204704789_(resized).jpg

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

Since BR is prone to fading, has anyone here repainted? I've found some references to a couple machines where Vitrea glass paint was used on the cabinet and looked good. Pic from before I set mine up. On mine the blue is good but yellow and red have faded. Just wondering what other owners have done. Repaint it or leave the fade for character? If repainted, what paint and application was used?

I just out mine in the sun with a cover on the glass to fade the other side equally. When the red is completely gone it actually looks pretty good!

#303 7 years ago

I am lucky because mine is not faded.

I don't think I would consider repainting it since PPS now has decals available.

Another solution is to buy more pins so you can't see the side art!

#304 7 years ago

I picked up Black Rose as my third pin. Just yesterday I finally solved a backbox GI issue... Blown fuse... Go figure lol. I also installed my new game blades from Tilt graphics. Thy block awesome!! I bought pinball pro speaker upgrades, but haven't had a chance to install them. Has anyone installed a speaker upgrade? Any significant sound quality increase?

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from gdogfunk:

I picked up Black Rose as my third pin. Just yesterday I finally solved a backbox GI issue... Blown fuse... Go figure lol. I also installed my new game blades from Tilt graphics. Thy block awesome!! I bought pinball pro speaker upgrades, but haven't had a chance to install them. Has anyone installed a speaker upgrade? Any significant sound quality increase?

I installed some $50 car speakers I had lying around, barely sound any different besides from being quieter. Might go back to the stock and try putting them in something else...

#306 7 years ago

PLEASE HELP : SWITCH PROBLEM

Hi guys

I have only just joined the club...and I am really pleased to be here. I love the playfield art and the game is great fun.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Turned the pin on today and immediately noticed she wasn't running like normal. A quickly discovered the fire button wasn't shooting the cannon. Then I did a 'test' and found 8 switches were not working.

3 targets that open locker
1 ball eject
2 ball drain
1 lower right slingshot
1 fire button

I have posted a picture of the switch locations. Seems they all use a green wire. I checked the fuses with my multi meter and they seem ok. I turned the machine on again and I have found that there is DC power going to the wires that connect to each switch. So they seem to be getting power!

Getting power but not communicating to back box ?

I have no idea what to do next or where to check?

I also posted a picture of the back box message at the start of 'test switches mode'

Looking forward to your suggestions.
cheers

black_rose_switch_locations_(resized).jpgblack_rose_switch_locations_(resized).jpg
black_rose_back_box_(resized).jpgblack_rose_back_box_(resized).jpg

#307 7 years ago

Those are all on column three for your switch matrix. Check the connector on your MPU, and continuity in the wiring harness out to the switches. With the connector removed from the MPU you can connect test leads to test each switch. You will want to grab the manual from IPDB for reference.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/313/Bally_1992_Black_Rose_Operator_Handbook.pdf

See page 8 for information on the switch matrix.

Good luck,

Brian

#308 7 years ago

Check pinwiki for great steps to diagnose WPC switch matrix issues.

#309 7 years ago

Pinster68 : thank you I will check it out

Quoted from dr_nybble:

Check pinwiki for great steps to diagnose WPC switch matrix issues.

Wow this is a great resource. Thanks for the tip

#310 7 years ago

So I just finished rebuilding all the flippers (including coils), installed some pinballbulbs.com playfield illumination lighting, and topped it of with some fresh glass! She's looking much better now.

~It doesn't look as purple in person~

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#311 7 years ago

Hi Guys, you've got a new member aboard.
I'm a proud owner of a Black Rose since May, 4th, 2016!
My first Pinball, it's great fun, even the cleaning and fixing.

My Highscore is 427,000,000 so far.

Basically I wanted to say hello from Austria and let your aim be true!

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from Daniella_99:

My Highscore is 427,000,000 so far.

Sounds like you need to up some settings...

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Took me a year to beat the 129,000,000 score on my machine when I got it....maybe something wrong on this machine? I had a stuck ramp switch so I'd get too many extra balls....or just a really good player!

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Took me a year to beat the 129,000,000 score on my machine when I got it....maybe something wrong on this machine? I had a stuck ramp switch so I'd get too many extra balls....or just a really good player!

First game on mine I sunk three ships, ever since I haven't passed the default 70m highscore... But then again first thing I did when I got it was turn extra balls off. That ramp is horribly broken otherwise... I guess if you have extra balls on with no per-game limit it'd become very easy to have 'infinite' games as long as you can hit it reliably

#315 7 years ago

189m has been my top score and i've never sunk more than 2 ships! Pretty sad!

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Actually I have got my score up to 622,613,070 on factory, but to be honest, I've played the Black Rose alot of times on the PS4 which has me refresh the rules by heart. Besides, I played the original pin back in the 90's, so it's nothing new to me.
Still, Black Rose offers alot, is addictive and beautiful on the artwork side. Most important as it was for me, -affordable!!!

Another thing, I do like fixing and fiddling and I do work on my pinball alot if it needs to be done, cleaning is just on a regular Base.

Just plainly mentioned, I love me Black Rose and maintaining her is sort of a pleasure to me...gladly that's the only Pinball I've got, otherwise I would have to quit me job ?

DSC00622_(resized).jpgDSC00622_(resized).jpg

#317 7 years ago
Quoted from Daniella_99:

Actually I have got my score up to 622,613,070 on factory

Didn't mean to imply you'd lowered the settings, just that if you're getting scores that high the 'stock' settings must be too easy. I've got mine set up with hard letters during multiball, no sink ship letters to start, 4 second timeout on the whirlpool ramp, tilt bob as high as it can go, no extra balls, tournament mode, etc to try to keep it challenging, rewarding, and balanced.

#318 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Didn't mean to imply you'd lowered the settings, just that if you're getting scores that high the 'stock' settings must be too easy. I've got mine set up with hard letters during multiball, no sink ship letters to start, 4 second timeout on the whirlpool ramp, tilt bob as high as it can go, no extra balls, tournament mode, etc to try to keep it challenging, rewarding, and balanced.

I see where you are coming from, still I want my score up as high as possible onmy settings.

One thing I recognised is, the points for an extra ball are shifting upwards by themselves.

#319 7 years ago
Quoted from valechippa6925:

Hey what's up guys. Just tonight on a broadside shot the ball got stuck in there. It feels like there is mechanism under the ball that you can move around. When the machine is reset and it tries to pop the ball upwards it just hits it slightly a few times then stops. What could be my problem? Thanks for the help!

I had the same problem too, in my case it even happened alot of times that there got two balls trapped in there during multiball, which I guess should not be in there in first place.

Anyway, I figured it might be the tip of the coil that plunges the ball up, which looked sort of worn down, it looked like it got shorter and ground down more on one side.

Here's what I did, since I would have had to replace the coil anyway. I got me a dustcap, the ones you use on car tires and put some thin rubber in and finally glued it on the tip of the coil, which sort of slips over the coils top. -Helped me, never had any balls stuck in there by not bopping out onto the rail again.

#320 7 years ago

Looking for a BR in the so cal area if anyone wants to let there's go. I'll hit her broadside! Pm me with any leads.

1 week later
#321 7 years ago

Hi everyone
Thank you all very much for your help, it turned out to be U20 chip. My queen of the high seas is back

Quoted from Whitewater:

PLEASE HELP : SWITCH PROBLEM
Hi guys
I have only just joined the club...and I am really pleased to be here. I love the playfield art and the game is great fun.
I would greatly appreciate your help.
Turned the pin on today and immediately noticed she wasn't running like normal. A quickly discovered the fire button wasn't shooting the cannon. Then I did a 'test' and found 8 switches were not working.
3 targets that open locker
1 ball eject
2 ball drain
1 lower right slingshot
1 fire button
I have posted a picture of the switch locations. Seems they all use a green wire. I checked the fuses with my multi meter and they seem ok. I turned the machine on again and I have found that there is DC power going to the wires that connect to each switch. So they seem to be getting power!
Getting power but not communicating to back box ?
I have no idea what to do next or where to check?
I also posted a picture of the back box message at the start of 'test switches mode'
Looking forward to your suggestions.
cheers

#322 7 years ago

I picked up a fully populated playfield at TPF. It's stripped and I have cleaned and photo'd the playfield.
If anybody is in need of a certain part or the playfield - send me a note.
I'll attach a couple photos plus here's a link to more of the playfield.
Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80234394@N03/albums/72157669363253585

IMG_4341_(resized).jpgIMG_4341_(resized).jpg

IMG_4327_(resized).jpgIMG_4327_(resized).jpg

IMG_4323_(resized).jpgIMG_4323_(resized).jpg

#323 7 years ago

The parts aren't sorted very well - but here's what I have.
Send a note and I can send a closeup of a part
Thanks

IMG_4342_(resized).jpgIMG_4342_(resized).jpg

IMG_4347_(resized).jpgIMG_4347_(resized).jpg

IMG_4346_(resized).jpgIMG_4346_(resized).jpg

IMG_4348_(resized).jpgIMG_4348_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#324 7 years ago

Looking for a cannon body shell. Prefer new, and I'll decal it. So if anyone is hording a spare they would like to sell, I would appreciate it.
Or, same thing Ill take the whole assembly off that shelf for you, or in a box.

Cannon Assmbly Black Rose Body 03-8566, Door 03-8565, Pin 02-4537

Part / Cannon Body 03-8566 Black Rose

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

cannon_shell_(resized).pngcannon_shell_(resized).png

#325 7 years ago

Avast behind!
Just got a Black Rose. Nice playfield and no damage to the ramps etc. Cannon looks to be in good shape. The cabinet is very faded, there's no red left! It plays well though, had to fix a couple of Molex connectors that got their wires ripped out when the head was put down for transit. I could by new decals but not sure its worth the expense!

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from Paddypaws:

there's no red left!

Better than some red left!

#327 7 years ago

I have a question for you Black Rose fans. When I hit a fast Whirlpool shot the ball drops off the wire ramp after the tight bend on the exit of the whirlpool? Any ideas what is wrong? What needs to be adjusted?

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from Paddypaws:

I have a question for you Black Rose fans. When I hit a fast Whirlpool shot the ball drops off the wire ramp after the tight bend on the exit of the whirlpool? Any ideas what is wrong? What needs to be adjusted?

I worked it out. The table was too steep, I like a fast game, but it was so steep the ball fell off the whirlpool wires. It didn't take much less angle to fix it though.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from Paddypaws:

I worked it out. The table was too steep, I like a fast game, but it was so steep the ball fell off the whirlpool wires. It didn't take much less angle to fix it though.

How steep was too steep?

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How steep was too steep?

Well the spirit level bubble was right off the end stop. I raised the front legs about 3/8ths and it helped a lot. It might need a bit more its not completely stopped the ball slipping off the whirlpool rail. Its still very fast.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from Paddypaws:

Well the spirit level bubble was right off the end stop. I raised the front legs about 3/8ths and it helped a lot. It might need a bit more its not completely stopped the ball slipping off the whirlpool rail. Its still very fast.

My legs won't go that high

#332 7 years ago

I don't think the feet on mine are original they are black, unless they were all black.

#333 7 years ago

I need some help with my BR. If you activate the two flippers at the same time the machine shuts off and then resets. The message shows " switch F-1 R-flipper EOS. Any thoughts ???

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from Scurvydave:

switch F-1 R-flipper EOS

Resets are almost always caps and bridge rectifiers on the power driver board....

BR1,2,3,4 as well as C5,6,7,11 should be replaced to fix the issue I believe.

Find more info here: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index2.htm#reset

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Looking for a cannon body shell. Prefer new, and I'll decal it. So if anyone is hording a spare they would like to sell, I would appreciate it.
Or, same thing Ill take the whole assembly off that shelf for you, or in a box.
Cannon Assmbly Black Rose Body 03-8566, Door 03-8565, Pin 02-4537
Part / Cannon Body 03-8566 Black Rose

I bought one from planetary pinball about 6 months ago. I got the cannon body, door, and top sticker. You should call them to see when they will have them in stock again.

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from Scurvydave:

I need some help with my BR. If you activate the two flippers at the same time the machine shuts off and then resets. The message shows " switch F-1 R-flipper EOS. Any thoughts ???

Start with your end of stroke switches on your right flippers. Are they making contact? Go into switch test and manually push up on all the flipper bats. If you do not see one register, then you may need to adjust the EOS switch or sand down on the EOS contacts or even replace the EOS switches.

If that does not help, measure your coils. From the middle tab to one outer tab of the flipper coil should measure about 4 ohms and other middle to other outer contact should be about 150 ohms.

#337 7 years ago

I get 5.5 and 170 ohms on the coil. On "test switch" the left flipper eos and upper right eos show closed when manually pushed up but, right flipper eos won't show closed when manually pushed up. I cleaned the contacts.....no change.

#338 7 years ago

Follow the WPC reset diagnostic steps on pinwiki. For me it was as simple as reseating the cable to the MPU.

When you press both flippers it may cause a sufficient drop in the 5V to trigger the reset.

#339 7 years ago

Turned out to be simple. It was a bad connection on the fliptronics board connector. the black wire from the eos wasn't seated properly. Now I can " swim like a bilge rat" again. Thanks for all the input, you guys are great.

#340 7 years ago

Deleted due to response given while typing up a suggestion.

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from Scurvydave:

Turned out to be simple. It was a bad connection on the fliptronics board connector. the black wire from the eos wasn't seated properly. Now I can " swim like a bilge rat" again. Thanks for all the input, you guys are great.

Great news. Enjoy your game.

#342 7 years ago

Should this Pin have Black lighting Flipper bats?

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Should this Pin have Black lighting Flipper bats?

as far as I know they weren't invented until Fish Tales or Doctor Who, later that year

1 week later
#344 7 years ago

I'm now in the club, recently got my Black rose up and running. Great game whole family loves it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#345 7 years ago

That's awesome! I happen to have my Black Rose directly to the right of my EATPM! For a second, I thought you somehow posted a pic of my game room haha! If you have an F14 Tomcat to the right of Black Rose, I will really be laughing.

#346 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Ha ha no game to the right of Black Rose yet, but I have just brought my grail system 11 the Black Knight 2000 that will join these two classics one day.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from v8racefan:

whole family loves it

That is a big plus

1 week later
#348 7 years ago

BR gang, toppers, toppers, toppers.
What's your Black Rose topper?
I personally love them. I prefer pins with them. I just see it as a waste of acreage without them. It also discourages my cats from going up there. BR in the house a month now and I've looked and looked.
Post pics if you got one or went custom with Pirate props or such.
Thanks Eric

#349 7 years ago

I have the large lego pirate ship from pirates of the Caribbean on top of my Black rose

#350 7 years ago

My topper, a little smaller but the way I like it to look, not to distracting from the game.

DSC_0597_(resized).JPGDSC_0597_(resized).JPG

DSC_0599_(resized).JPGDSC_0599_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 34.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,896 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-club-owners-and-fans-welcome/page/7?hl=scurvydave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.