• Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31-1655-SET (resized).jpg
89539C62-A0DC-4B74-8286-5DD91D41FDC7 (resized).jpeg
20240203_192829 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240105_184120_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e9d73b89c70d6495b6a0cb45dc76cce9 (resized).jpg
20210724_181347 (resized).jpg
372951015_1333173387326857_6297914620449767896_n.jpg
3588FEEE-F21F-4133-BD86-E554A175DC14 (resized).jpeg
webStore BR2 - 600x400 (resized).jpg
Bracket (resized).png
20230731_163944 (resized).jpg
20230731_163924 (resized).jpg
20230731_163833 (resized).jpg
20230731_163815 (resized).jpg
20230731_163615 (resized).jpg
20230731_163658 (resized).jpg
20230731_163553 (resized).jpg

There are 1,896 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 38.
#101 9 years ago

Sounds good. My vote goes for making her awesome then! And let me know, whenever!

So tonight I was giving some love to Theatre of Magic, installing the clock tower, cliffys for the ramps, and new shooter rod, when I decided to clean and wax the playfield. While everything was out, I did the same to Black Rose. Holy crap! You wanna make it a more difficult pin, then play after a fresh wax. So fast and frantic, it was ridiculous yet awesome!

#102 9 years ago

So the rest of the mylar is off. That was work. A lot of work. The best and safest approach ended up being using plastic razor blades (http://www.pinrestore.com/Tools.html, scroll to bottom) and Orange Power 909, and being VERY careful around inserts.
IMG_2151.jpgIMG_2151.jpg
Some insert decals lifted regardless. I'll have to pin them back down with clear or Crazy Glue. See the tip of Millions? Not a big deal, but there's about 10 like this I have to address, which wasn't in my plans. And then there's the "POT" insert decal. That one was completely toast. I'll be making a waterslide decal then spot clearing over that one.

This was very slow work. It took me all morning to remove the Mylar, then go back and scrape up all the adhesive. But it's off nonetheless. Now I have to repair the inserts and cannon wear and then get to polishing/waxing. I've opted not to clear coat. It's neither my area of expertise, worth the cost, or necessary. This BR will get maybe 50-100 plays a year on it at most, and I'm not planning to route it. Incidentally the area that weren't covered with mylar (including right between the flippers) were in great shape, regardless of being a routed pin. It held up, so I don't think in home use I'll ever have to worry.

IMG_2148.jpgIMG_2148.jpg
#103 9 years ago

When you are done doing the cannon repair, save the color you use and come help me repair mine!

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from njgsx96:

When you are done doing the cannon repair, save the color you use and come help me repair mine!

You got it. I sampled it in Photoshop. Looks like yellow, add a teeny bit of white and red. Will be experimenting.

#105 9 years ago

So I'm on my way to fixing the "pot" insert decal. I was able to get a positive match on the font from My Font's "What the Font" web app (http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/). Quality waterslide decal paper is on order from Papilio (http://www.papilio.com).

Goudy Bold looks like a winner.
FontMatch_BR.jpgFontMatch_BR.jpg

I only had a lo-res pic of the POT insert, but it looks like a good match.
PPS-BRC__POT.JPGPPS-BRC__POT.JPG

#106 9 years ago

If anyone has a lead on the "whirlpool" sticker, or a hi-res of it, please let me know

#107 9 years ago

Looking good pinster... coming along nicely!

You can find the one sticker easily, it is the one that says "Whirlpool" that is impossible to find. But if someone can get good scans and measurements, any sticker for that matter, I have a friend who can print them for us on almost any medium. Or if you get me the file with it all ready to go, that would be easiest!

#108 9 years ago

I'm looking for the "Whirlpool" sticker too. If someone makes any, I'm in for one.

#109 9 years ago

Did anyone email Rick. I thought he got the art files from the IPB deal

#110 9 years ago

I now have the Davy Jones sticker file ready to go. Thinking I might wait til I'm back in Chicago to get em printed though.

1 week later
#111 9 years ago

I have a Black Rose for sale for $2600 OBO in Los Angeles.

#112 9 years ago

Just found this thread. Purchased a Black Rose a few months ago and just started restoring it. I'm doing everything but the cabinet art and playfield restoration (Keith Holbrook is doing that). Like others here, I'm going to be completely upside down on investment vs. resale. But I love the game and don't plan on reselling it. I'll post some pics soon. I'm hoping PPS will have the plastics recreated by TFP time (march 27th). Signed up to bring the game.

#113 9 years ago

PPS is remaking the plastics? Anyone got the one to the left of the shooter lane? Mine JUST broke.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

PPS is remaking the plastics? Anyone got the one to the left of the shooter lane? Mine JUST broke.

Supposedly. In another thread titled "WTB: Black Rose plastics", Rick at PPS posted about having a set in shop. Matter of getting them into the "queue" to be reproduced.

#115 9 years ago

the set he is using is my NOS set that i loaned him at expo.......included the full set plus promo plastics

#116 9 years ago

Well, put me down for one then.

1 month later
#117 9 years ago

Just joined the club today. Got a reimport from a friend from work, playfield extremely dirty but looks to clean up nicely. Needs a full shop job in the worst way. Broken playfield glass under plastics and in the cabinet from shipping it from England 10 years ago. Needs some new coils, some switch work and LEDs put in.

#118 9 years ago

Just finished restoring my Black Rose. Here are a few pics. I realized after I took them that GI #2 was out. Found a cold solder joint on a plug. That seemed to take care of it.

IMG_3351.jpgIMG_3351.jpg IMG_3353.jpgIMG_3353.jpg IMG_3355.jpgIMG_3355.jpg IMG_3356.jpgIMG_3356.jpg IMG_3357.jpgIMG_3357.jpg IMG_3358.jpgIMG_3358.jpg IMG_3359.jpgIMG_3359.jpg IMG_3363.jpgIMG_3363.jpg
#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike:

Just finished restoring my Black Rose. Here are a few pics.

Dam that looks nice! Thought mine was nice. Looks great. Love of a pair of those instruction cards. Great work

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Dam that looks nice! Thought mine was nice. Looks great. Love of a pair of those instruction cards. Great work

Likewise, very nice!

Are those new cab decals from Planetary? If so please share feedback on the quality.

#121 9 years ago

I was wondering the same thing about the decals.....and did you have to do touchup in front of the cannon.....looks great!!!!!!

#122 9 years ago

Black Rose, Fish Tales, Dracula, and Doctor Who all had regular size flippers in their proto/sample games. When those games went into production, they came with the lightning bolt shorter flippers. It really made it hard to hit the ramps on BR after that change. If you guys feel the game is too easy with the regular flippers, change the multiball settings. PAPA recently had BR in A qualifying and they had it set where you couldn't get sink ship letters on the side ramp.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

I was wondering the same thing about the decals.....and did you have to do touchup in front of the cannon.....looks great!!!!!!

Thanks. They are from Planetary. A friend of mine did the cabinet restore so I'm not able to comment on it other than the end result which I'm very happy with. The decals cover completely so the edges look real nice too. I got lucky with the playfield on this game. There was absolutely no cannon wear. However, the left ramp is in poor shape at the flap rivets. I'm hoping that Planetary (or someone) will reproduce them at some point.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Just joined the club today. Got a reimport from a friend from work, playfield extremely dirty but looks to clean up nicely. Needs a full shop job in the worst way. Broken playfield glass under plastics and in the cabinet from shipping it from England 10 years ago. Needs some new coils, some switch work and LEDs put in.

Cleaned up the grime, replaced some bulbs and degreased a coil shaft return and it play 100%. Fun game!

#125 9 years ago

Forgot to mention, I cleaned up the treasure chest full of diamonds too.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#126 9 years ago

Hey guys, just picked up a BR in decent shape.typical damage around the cannon. Just wondering about the cannon cliffy. It really doesn't affect ball travel? I talked to a guy who put 4 cliffys to complete the compass rose and said the cannon was very easy to level, plus it closes the gap between cannon and playfield. What do you guys think?
Awesome to see a thread dedicated to this pin

#127 9 years ago

This is how it was purchased, going to shop it, change some led colors, clean and wax it. And play it awhile before restoring it further, although I'm considering a cliffy sooner than later. Cheers

IMG_20150326_193110951_HDR.jpgIMG_20150326_193110951_HDR.jpg
#128 9 years ago

Wow, those LED colors, huh? Let's have this pirate be green, that makes sense. Thankfully it's easy to fix someone else's mistakes using colored LEDs JUDICIOUSLY.

TOM.pngTOM.png

#129 9 years ago

I'm finally finding motivation to work on my black rose. I just put led's in it, did a complete rebuild of the flippers, cleaned and waxed the playfield, and it is playing better than it has in a long time. Just two issues to sort out.

1. Trace down electrical issue with the left sword flasher socket.

2. My cannon is very level with the playfield, and doesn't disrupt the flow of the ball at all. However when launching a ball out of the cannon the ball gets too air-born and hits the wire form ramp on most shots. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

This was the first pin I bought more than 10 years ago, and I don't see myself ever getting rid of it.

#130 9 years ago

Yeah the guy just threw in the green, it was leftovers. I tell everyone he has scurvy.... Ill change them to my taste, but I'm so glad he was willing to sell it to me, I'm loving it.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Weaser15:

Yeah the guy just threw in the green, it was leftovers. I tell everyone he has scurvy....

HA!

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

Black Rose, Fish Tales, Dracula, and Doctor Who all had regular size flippers in their proto/sample games. When those games went into production, they came with the lightning bolt shorter flippers. It really made it hard to hit the ramps on BR after that change. If you guys feel the game is too easy with the regular flippers, change the multiball settings. PAPA recently had BR in A qualifying and they had it set where you couldn't get sink ship letters on the side ramp.

I thought the 4 games with lightning flippers were Popeye, Fish Tales, Dracula and Doctor Who.

1 week later
#133 8 years ago

Can someone check flasher #25 'top popper'. I can't get it to flash or find it.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Can someone check flasher #25 'top popper'. I can't get it to flash or find it.

Those are the two flashers on the top of the metal housing behind the playfield backboard.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike:

Those are the two flashers on the top of the metal housing behind the playfield backboard.

I will have to look harder, there is not much room back there to get my hand in there.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I will have to look harder, there is not much room back there to get my hand in there.

You can get to them from the backbox.

--Luke

2 weeks later
#137 8 years ago

I am working on a shooter rod mod and a new cannon for the broadside shot!

3 weeks later
#138 8 years ago

So some playfields have the Diamond Plate logo above the right flipper and others do not. So what I can only assume is that no logo, no coating. But page 1-3 in the manual says this:DIamondPlate.pngDIamondPlate.png

So now I'm confused. Could anyone clarify?

#139 8 years ago

When I restored my BR, I decided to have the playfield touched up and clear coated. The guy I used said it was Diamond Plate. Diamond Plate is just a trademark for a 2-part urethane process. I guess they just don't put the trademark on all the playfields that have this. Gilligan's Island is a year earlier and it has it written on the playfield. Hope that helps.

#140 8 years ago

I've had my Black Rose for 7 years and love her. I recently felt the need for more balls in play and picked up a WhoDunnit (I guess I like the oddities). I am still in denial, but am probably selling BR to a friend shortly. I never got bored playing her, but feel like the playfield is too crowded for 3 balls. I did have one issue I could never rectify; anyone else have the broadside shot bounce out a lot? I tried pulling the post and adding felt backing, but basically find a ricochet is more likely to stick than a direct hit.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#142 8 years ago

My Davey Jones Locker Ramp is cracked on the metal piece that goes down onto the playfield. Anyone know of a fix or replacement?
Part # A-14831

#143 8 years ago

i still have a few black rose plastics available.......make me an offer

the small red piece is already gone

301289-i.jpg301289-i.jpg
#144 8 years ago

301289-i.jpg301289-i.jpg

2 weeks later
#145 8 years ago

I need some tips on leveling the canon. When the ball changes directions because it's not flush it infuriates me. It might be my favorite table I have as far as the layout is concerned, but the little things that affect gameplay drive me nuts. I'm having trouble getting it just right.

I also need to figure out how to straighten out the locker ramp. It's not sitting flush and hindering the ball's path.

#146 8 years ago

I'm looking to upgrade my LEDs to 2SMDs from Cometpinball.com. Has anyone had problems with hot spots on their plastics?

1 month later
#147 8 years ago

Anyone know of any leads on a nice Black Rose? Looking to add one to my pirate mancave/bar. Will fit in nicely with my potc.

Thanks

#148 8 years ago

I have a NOS set of black rose plastics that I was trying to trade for a new set of whirlwind plastics.......may have to consider selling then buying....whirlwind plastics when they were available we around $150.....can I get that much for my black rose set?

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

I have a NOS set of Black Rose plastics that I was trying to trade for a new set of Whirlwind plastics.......may have to consider selling then buying....Whirlwind plastics when they were available we around $150.....can I get that much for my Black Rose set?

I think that's probably reasonable considering no one is currently reproducing them. If you decide to sell the plastics set, PM me, I'll buy them. Planning a restore/refresh of my BR this Winter.

#150 8 years ago

Anyone have an LED map or order example for black rose?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 1,896 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-club-owners-and-fans-welcome/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.