Topic Stats

• 1,017 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by m0nty
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 282 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
800px-WPCPowerBoxInside (resized).jpg
matrix (resized).JPG
6B7BC137-F3AC-461F-AE8D-936E68205739 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190303_200558 (resized).jpg
20190228_162349 (resized).jpg
4 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
5 (resized).jpg
20190217_190021 (resized).jpg
blackrose4 (resized).jpg

There are 1017 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 21.
#1001 81 days ago

This is great news, email sent to be added to the list.

Alberto

#1002 81 days ago

I am having a problem with the ball getting stuck under the subway, anyone else had that problem and how to fix it?

#1003 79 days ago

Hi guys
I have a mystery problem with my Black Rose.
flippers not working
column 2 switches not working
one coil firing randomly (when a game is started)

1. When I turn the machine on it comes up with error - check left flipper switch, check right flipper switch, check right upper flipper switch
2. When I start a game the flippers do not work and the 'davy jones locker' coil starts firing (about 10 seconds between firing)
3. When I go into test mode (solenoids) all coils work fine
4. When I go into test mode (switches) none of column 2 switches register

Things I have done

1. Tested all switches in column 2 for continuity to back of CPU board (no issues)
2. Replaced all diodes on column 2 switches
3. Swapped out the U20 chip
4. Swapped the whole CPU board into another game (no issues)
5. Sent the power driver board away for checking (no issues)

Now I don't know what else to do or check

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
matrix (resized).JPG

#1004 79 days ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi guys
flippers not working
1. When I turn the machine on it comes up with error - check left flipper switch, check right flipper switch, check right upper flipper switch
2. When I start a game the flippers do not work and the 'davy jones locker' coil starts firing (about 10 seconds between firing)
Things I have done
1. Tested all switches in column 2 for continuity to back of CPU board (no issues)
[quoted image]

Varistor and Thermistor in power box.
Especially if never replaced.

#1005 79 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Varistor and Thermistor in power box.
Especially if never replaced.

Hi, interesting would you mind posting a picture of the power box you are talking about please.

#1006 78 days ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi, interesting would you mind posting a picture of the power box you are talking about please.

If varistor is old it can cause odd problems. Most piinball people never even look in this box. There's a line filter in there to.
This picture is from pinwiki.
Ist thing when ever a game comes in house is i check every fuse, then power box. Then I start working on game.
I came up with this based on your trouble shooting list. Other thoughts are properly seated Asic chip, ribbon cables.

800px-WPCPowerBoxInside (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1007 68 days ago

Gosh, I've never opened a single power box in any of my pins, completely overlooked this one
Guess I should open them up and at least clean them with the vacuum next time I'm working on a pin.

#1008 68 days ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Gosh, I've never opened a single power box in any of my pins, completely overlooked this one
Guess I should open them up and at least clean them with the vacuum next time I'm working on a pin.

Its always best. Even wall sockets I've rebuilt for pins, checked power cord, power cord insert, then power box, then transformer connectors. Just a good physical check of power all the way up the line to power board. Then all of those connectors,cpu, audio etc...

#1009 66 days ago

I installed a ColorDMD yesterday. It is great addition.

#1010 66 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Its always best. Even wall sockets I've rebuilt for pins, checked power cord, power cord insert, then power box, then transformer connectors. Just a good physical check of power all the way up the line to power board. Then all of those connectors,cpu, audio etc...

I've ordered varistor and thermistor will update when I install them, thanks for the advice

#1011 66 days ago

Just had a fun experience today. My youngest kid (5yrs old) was playing while I was fixing another pin in the same room. Suddenly I hear my kid mention something about the ball vanishing and sure enough, the game goes into ball search mode. Curious I started to look after the ball but couldn't find it anywhere. Brought a flashlight and checked the movable cannon, multi ball lock and the broadside hole, nope not there. Looked over the rest of the PF and couldn't find any ball anywhere.

Tried to tilt the game up/down to possible shake loose a ball somewhere but no result. Finally I decided to raise the PF and while trying to empty the tray I realized there were only ONE ball there, this game is using three balls so actually not one but TWO balls were missing, wtf?!?

Stumped I asked my kiddo where did you see the ball last? and he pointed at the area around the upper right flipper. Used the flashlight and looked carefully around there and BAM, there they were, two balls stuck behind the flipper and hidden below the big parrot playfield plastic The wire metal guide located directly behind the flipper had loosened and made space for both balls getting in there and stuck.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture but it did look darn funny having not one but two balls stuck side by side in the same place.

#1012 61 days ago

Is anyone holding a whirlpool ramp? Any condition considered! Reward if anyone has a lead on one.

#1013 61 days ago
Quoted from Brich:

Is anyone holding a whirlpool ramp? Any condition considered! Reward if anyone has a lead on one.

I like one to if you find a box of them, lol.
Need cannon shell to!
I have a rather nice example of game and these are last piece of my puzzle.
Been looking for 3 years.
Many promises from PPS and rick, nothing yet.
Freeplay40 makes ramps and has said in past whirlpool is on the list.
You should go post interest/wanted there.

3 weeks later
#1014 40 days ago

I'm shopping a Black Rose table. The motor wasn't working at all and I've finally got it running again, but am having some issues with proper canon rotation. I can't tell if something is blocking it from making a full arc from the underside (like one of the leveling posts is stopping it) or if something else is the issue. It just kind of pauses for a bit when it gets to one side of the arc (the motor itself and gear box are still moving). It's also kind of clumsy as it moves. Since I've not been able to inspect a working one to begin with, I want to make sure everything is installed and aligned correctly. I've cleaned and re-lubricated the gearbox so it's not gummed up.

Is someone able to take/post a picture of the entire cannon assembly from the underside of the playefield and how it's aligned? I'm curious to see how the 3 large posts align to the rotating parts and how that aligns to the playfield. Even more amazing would be a video showing the underside of it moving back and forth so I can use it for reference.

I've looked around online for pictures and videos and wasn't able to locate one that had exactly what I was looking for.

Any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!

#1015 35 days ago

Update. I think I've solved the puzzle. The ramp coil issue was related to a flaky switch. The column of switches not working could be due to a GI light that had shorted to earth. I've sent the cpu board off to be repaired

Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi guys
flippers not working
Things I have done
[quoted image]

#1016 33 days ago
Quoted from m0nty:

Is someone able to take/post a picture of the entire cannon assembly from the underside of the playefield and how it's aligned? I'm curious to see how the 3 large posts align to the rotating parts and how that aligns to the playfield. Even more amazing would be a video showing the underside of it moving back and forth so I can use it for reference.

This is the best pictures I could find from my teardown/cleaning after buying it, hope they can help you out.
I don't recall my cannon "pausing" noticable at the end of the arc. I did add a few tiny spots of lubricant on the metal edge of the platter that moves through the slit in three support legs and it feels like it is actually rotating a bit smoother (less clunky) after that.

The cannon assembly is a nightmare to level though, darn those legs, its always one side that isn't completely level with the playfield

1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

#1017 32 days ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

This is the best pictures I could find from my teardown/cleaning after buying it, hope they can help you out.
I don't recall my cannon "pausing" noticable at the end of the arc. I did add a few tiny spots of lubricant on the metal edge of the platter that moves through the slit in three support legs and it feels like it is actually rotating a bit smoother (less clunky) after that.
The cannon assembly is a nightmare to level though, darn those legs, its always one side that isn't completely level with the playfield
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you!! I think it’ll help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 28.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 50.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1017 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside