Topic Stats

• 1,335 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Mancave
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 434 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

97F87645-37E4-45AD-B071-B3614AC1CD6A (resized).jpeg
85ABEBCF-F4BF-4E8C-BD52-D3E4BEA28F6B (resized).jpeg
A841A244-714C-49CF-8606-A539C62C14A1 (resized).jpeg
D6B655C5-5931-4E94-B357-93BB19727A3A (resized).jpeg
57826F68-9D45-4FA3-9B3F-819517F81B93 (resized).jpeg
1F9DF737-698E-4698-B251-0A596143CD5C (resized).jpeg
C18528D2-9046-4206-BA6D-1AC40E014CD0 (resized).jpeg
024C7B9B-6467-4999-BF58-2483BB72DF48 (resized).jpeg
E0BB866B-A49C-41FC-9FA3-9DF795867AB6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191015_1812390 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191015_1754140 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191015_1812426 (resized).jpg
4B357C0A-97D1-4162-844B-F07A0D8672BD (resized).jpeg
4FBA1AB4-E25E-4DF8-840D-91DD4C3CB21E (resized).jpeg
DSC05007 (resized).JPG
DSC05006 (resized).JPG

There are 1335 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 27.
#1001 1 year ago

This is great news, email sent to be added to the list.

Alberto

#1002 1 year ago

I am having a problem with the ball getting stuck under the subway, anyone else had that problem and how to fix it?

#1003 1 year ago

Hi guys
I have a mystery problem with my Black Rose.
flippers not working
column 2 switches not working
one coil firing randomly (when a game is started)

1. When I turn the machine on it comes up with error - check left flipper switch, check right flipper switch, check right upper flipper switch
2. When I start a game the flippers do not work and the 'davy jones locker' coil starts firing (about 10 seconds between firing)
3. When I go into test mode (solenoids) all coils work fine
4. When I go into test mode (switches) none of column 2 switches register

Things I have done

1. Tested all switches in column 2 for continuity to back of CPU board (no issues)
2. Replaced all diodes on column 2 switches
3. Swapped out the U20 chip
4. Swapped the whole CPU board into another game (no issues)
5. Sent the power driver board away for checking (no issues)

Now I don't know what else to do or check

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
matrix (resized).JPG

#1004 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi guys
flippers not working
1. When I turn the machine on it comes up with error - check left flipper switch, check right flipper switch, check right upper flipper switch
2. When I start a game the flippers do not work and the 'davy jones locker' coil starts firing (about 10 seconds between firing)
Things I have done
1. Tested all switches in column 2 for continuity to back of CPU board (no issues)
[quoted image]

Varistor and Thermistor in power box.
Especially if never replaced.

#1005 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Varistor and Thermistor in power box.
Especially if never replaced.

Hi, interesting would you mind posting a picture of the power box you are talking about please.

#1006 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi, interesting would you mind posting a picture of the power box you are talking about please.

If varistor is old it can cause odd problems. Most piinball people never even look in this box. There's a line filter in there to.
This picture is from pinwiki.
Ist thing when ever a game comes in house is i check every fuse, then power box. Then I start working on game.
I came up with this based on your trouble shooting list. Other thoughts are properly seated Asic chip, ribbon cables.

800px-WPCPowerBoxInside (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1007 1 year ago

Gosh, I've never opened a single power box in any of my pins, completely overlooked this one
Guess I should open them up and at least clean them with the vacuum next time I'm working on a pin.

#1008 1 year ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Gosh, I've never opened a single power box in any of my pins, completely overlooked this one
Guess I should open them up and at least clean them with the vacuum next time I'm working on a pin.

Its always best. Even wall sockets I've rebuilt for pins, checked power cord, power cord insert, then power box, then transformer connectors. Just a good physical check of power all the way up the line to power board. Then all of those connectors,cpu, audio etc...

#1009 1 year ago

I installed a ColorDMD yesterday. It is great addition.

#1010 1 year ago

Its always best. Even wall sockets I've rebuilt for pins, checked power cord, power cord insert, then power box, then transformer connectors. Just a good physical check of power all the way up the line to power board. Then all of those connectors,cpu, audio etc...

I've ordered varistor and thermistor will update when I install them, thanks for the advice

#1011 1 year ago

Just had a fun experience today. My youngest kid (5yrs old) was playing while I was fixing another pin in the same room. Suddenly I hear my kid mention something about the ball vanishing and sure enough, the game goes into ball search mode. Curious I started to look after the ball but couldn't find it anywhere. Brought a flashlight and checked the movable cannon, multi ball lock and the broadside hole, nope not there. Looked over the rest of the PF and couldn't find any ball anywhere.

Tried to tilt the game up/down to possible shake loose a ball somewhere but no result. Finally I decided to raise the PF and while trying to empty the tray I realized there were only ONE ball there, this game is using three balls so actually not one but TWO balls were missing, wtf?!?

Stumped I asked my kiddo where did you see the ball last? and he pointed at the area around the upper right flipper. Used the flashlight and looked carefully around there and BAM, there they were, two balls stuck behind the flipper and hidden below the big parrot playfield plastic The wire metal guide located directly behind the flipper had loosened and made space for both balls getting in there and stuck.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture but it did look darn funny having not one but two balls stuck side by side in the same place.

#1012 1 year ago

Is anyone holding a whirlpool ramp? Any condition considered! Reward if anyone has a lead on one.

#1013 1 year ago
Quoted from Brich:

Is anyone holding a whirlpool ramp? Any condition considered! Reward if anyone has a lead on one.

I like one to if you find a box of them, lol.
Need cannon shell to!
I have a rather nice example of game and these are last piece of my puzzle.
Been looking for 3 years.
Many promises from PPS and rick, nothing yet.
Freeplay40 makes ramps and has said in past whirlpool is on the list.
You should go post interest/wanted there.

3 weeks later
#1014 1 year ago

I'm shopping a Black Rose table. The motor wasn't working at all and I've finally got it running again, but am having some issues with proper canon rotation. I can't tell if something is blocking it from making a full arc from the underside (like one of the leveling posts is stopping it) or if something else is the issue. It just kind of pauses for a bit when it gets to one side of the arc (the motor itself and gear box are still moving). It's also kind of clumsy as it moves. Since I've not been able to inspect a working one to begin with, I want to make sure everything is installed and aligned correctly. I've cleaned and re-lubricated the gearbox so it's not gummed up.

Is someone able to take/post a picture of the entire cannon assembly from the underside of the playefield and how it's aligned? I'm curious to see how the 3 large posts align to the rotating parts and how that aligns to the playfield. Even more amazing would be a video showing the underside of it moving back and forth so I can use it for reference.

I've looked around online for pictures and videos and wasn't able to locate one that had exactly what I was looking for.

Any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!

#1015 1 year ago

Update. I think I've solved the puzzle. The ramp coil issue was related to a flaky switch. The column of switches not working could be due to a GI light that had shorted to earth. I've sent the cpu board off to be repaired

Quoted from Whitewater:

Hi guys
flippers not working
Things I have done
[quoted image]

#1016 1 year ago
Quoted from m0nty:

Is someone able to take/post a picture of the entire cannon assembly from the underside of the playefield and how it's aligned? I'm curious to see how the 3 large posts align to the rotating parts and how that aligns to the playfield. Even more amazing would be a video showing the underside of it moving back and forth so I can use it for reference.

This is the best pictures I could find from my teardown/cleaning after buying it, hope they can help you out.
I don't recall my cannon "pausing" noticable at the end of the arc. I did add a few tiny spots of lubricant on the metal edge of the platter that moves through the slit in three support legs and it feels like it is actually rotating a bit smoother (less clunky) after that.

The cannon assembly is a nightmare to level though, darn those legs, its always one side that isn't completely level with the playfield

1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

#1017 1 year ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

This is the best pictures I could find from my teardown/cleaning after buying it, hope they can help you out.
I don't recall my cannon "pausing" noticable at the end of the arc. I did add a few tiny spots of lubricant on the metal edge of the platter that moves through the slit in three support legs and it feels like it is actually rotating a bit smoother (less clunky) after that.
The cannon assembly is a nightmare to level though, darn those legs, its always one side that isn't completely level with the playfield
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you!! I think it’ll help!

1 month later
#1018 1 year ago

Yar!

I just joined the crew and am busy getting my game ship shape. Noticed the game has a white and a red GI string. Is there a mode where it only uses red GI?

#1019 1 year ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yar!
I just joined the crew and am busy getting my game ship shape. Noticed the game has a white and a red GI string. Is there a mode where it only uses red GI?

Yeah, I think when you sink a ship the GI flash red then white. But I have gone for the coloured LEDs in my GI to match plastics etc, so I lose the effect … can't have everything

ps. Welcome. She is a great game. Just make sure you have a bit of rubber stuck underneath your centre wire form so when you shoot the canon you don't damage the flap that lifts up when the ball shoots out because the cannon is a very precious and hard to replace item.

#1020 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Yeah, I think when you sink a ship the GI flash red then white. But I have gone for the coloured LEDs in my GI to match plastics etc, so I lose the effect … can't have everything

Imagine a mod where every led is RGB, so that they're all on normally, but turn red during cannon shots. Maybe feed in to pinstadium too...

#1021 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Imagine a mod where every led is RGB, so that they're all on normally, but turn red during cannon shots. Maybe feed in to pinstadium too...

The effect is very cool even without pinstadium. Stick to the red/white scheme!

#1022 1 year ago
Quoted from dudah:

The effect is very cool even without pinstadium. Stick to the red/white scheme!

Is there a bulb map for the white and red GI?

#1023 1 year ago

Is there a bulb map for the white and red GI?

There's a "R" screenprinted on the playfield next to the red bulb sockets

#1024 1 year ago
Quoted from dudah:

There's a "R" screenprinted on the playfield next to the red bulb sockets

Omg, Thanks!

#1025 1 year ago

I still have incandescents in mine so the white bulbs are covered with red condoms....also have pinstadiums which look super nice on this game. My pinstadiums are tied into a GI light that goes out during the cannon fire so they never interfere with that mode.

#1026 1 year ago

Does anyone know if I can sub a normal Williams style pop bumper body for those weird 03-8325-5 clip ones they used on this generation of Bally games? Mine are really busted up and brittle.

#1027 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Mine never makes it up that ramp off the plunge....my flap lifts up on the left side of it so I’m wondering if that’s the cause.
The consensus is that it’s supposed to make the ramp and go up and around.

It doesnt always make it. You really have to finesse the plunge. It may be necessary to polish the rod or use a different spring. Over time, it has become harder to make that shot.

#1028 1 year ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

It doesnt always make it. You really have to finesse the plunge. It may be necessary to polish the rod or use a different spring. Over time, it has become harder to make that shot.

You can try adjusting the shooter lane guide too. Mine consistently makes it up with a red spring, but barely. I played one at pintastic this weekend that made it around super easy.

#1029 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You can try adjusting the shooter lane guide too. Mine consistently makes it up with a red spring, but barely. I played one at pintastic this weekend that made it around super easy.

I saw that machine at pintastic but didnt play it. The shooter tip can get off center and actually rubs the lane shooter housing. My BR works great otherwise, but the cabinet is delaminating, since the machine appears to have been in a fire or flood. Lots of rust on the lamp and coil brackets too. I would buy the color dmd, but I cant put any more money into this, given condition.

#1030 1 year ago

So I just completed (minus a couple tiny things) the shop on my Black Rose and am now starting to tune it up. Anyone have any tips?

Here's what I notice so far:

Plunge is inconsistent. Sometimes it makes the loop at a full plunge, sometimes it's a little low. I know there's an adjustment screw, and I have fiddled with it, but is there really a "sweet spot" or is this typical behavior? -- Solved with a shooter lane guide tweak!

Cannon hits the wireform when I fire at the targets to the left. Taller spacer maybe? But I don't seem to have a ton of threads left. - Solved with a taller spacer post!

Fly offs from the whirlpool... at least they usually end up back in the shooter lane. Doesn't seem to be any adjustment? -- Maybe solved with some an extra washer on the wireform mounting post?

Trough does this thing where a ball can get knocked into the shooter lane by the drained ball being kicked over by the outhole kicker. The drained ball then continues play (!) but with no music. - Seems to have solved with getting the game level?

Cannon level is a little wonky. How to best level it? Also, ANY cannon tips are appreciated. Mine is working so I haven't messed with it much, but are there any "can do's, should do's, don't do's" for it?

Yar, I aims to have this vessel seaworthy for our next league nite so any assistance is ARR-preciated!

#1031 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've really wanted a BR for quite a while - and I've recently gotten a number of plays on the new POTC. I've never played BR in person,
So I'm curious if there's any influence on Pirates

You sink ships over and over with BR, as in the POTC, but it is DMD only. The playfield cannon is unique, and the straight ball return on the center rail to the flippers is unique also. There are three video modes. There is no wizard mode or finale. If my machine was in good condition, I would get the color dmd because it looks great.

1 week later
#1033 11 months ago

Hey everyone. It is with some regret, but I am selling my BR. Time to switch around the lineup. If you know of anyone looking, it is a great pin!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/81691

#1034 11 months ago
Quoted from njgsx96:

Hey everyone. It is with some regret, but I am selling my BR. Time to switch around the lineup. If you know of anyone looking, it is a great pin!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/81691

Got a spare cannon shell?
Anyone?

#1035 11 months ago

Got a spare cannon shell?
Anyone?

Somebody had a complete NOS cannon assy. I could try to find who it was if interested

#1036 11 months ago

I think it was Little shop of games in Florida. At least they had one listed on their site for a while... I don't see it in their updated page.
They also had a cool topper for BR that I also don't see anymore.

Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Somebody had a complete NOS cannon assy. I could try to find who it was if interested

1 week later
#1037 11 months ago

Does any one have a black rose whirl pool ramp
I picked up a black rose and it’s missing that ramp

#1038 11 months ago
Quoted from nitrocow:

Does any one have a black rose whirl pool ramp
I picked up a black rose and it’s missing that ramp

It is highly sought after. There has been talk they are going to be made By Freeplay40. Soon I hope.

#1039 11 months ago

So I got Black Rose pretty much ship shape. Maybe a few more lighting adjustments to make but aside from that it’s playing as smooth as a calm sea at night.
DB7AB828-A4B4-490A-A903-44671FC0F805 (resized).jpeg

I love the red GI when you’re firing the cannon. How cool is that in a game from ‘92?
033FC4AA-A5CB-45F7-A790-336FC9394F8C (resized).jpeg

Oh, if anyone is sitting on an unbroken left outline plastic, and wants to let it go, please let me know!
B0726DED-86EC-4883-A053-F4B70EBFC58F (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1040 11 months ago

I seem to be having a problem with my blackrose. As I climb the jet bumper ladder it seems to skip the 4k light. I know it's not the bulb because it lights up in attract mode. Is this normal and I am just over thinking this?

#1041 11 months ago

New member to this club ...drove from Edmonton to Denver to pick up ... great game !

IMG_20190810_0838126 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_0838195 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_0838221 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_0838288 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_0838352 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_0838418 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_0914053 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_1627314 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_1627357 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_1627425 (resized).jpg
#1042 11 months ago

Looks good! Very clean PF and love the color on the cab. Welcome aboard!

1 week later
#1043 10 months ago

Is the cabinet art on Black Rose painted or is it decals?

#1044 10 months ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Is the cabinet art on Black Rose painted or is it decals?

There decals

#1045 10 months ago

This game is a recent addition to my collection, when your ball is in the cannon I'm assuming only the red lights should be on? Is there a way to test this? Will this function work with LED or incadestant bulbs only?
Thanks in advance for any help
Regards
Rob

#1046 10 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

This game is a recent addition to my collection, when your ball is in the cannon I'm assuming only the red lights should be on? Is there a way to test this? Will this function work with LED or incadestant bulbs only?
Thanks in advance for any help
Regards
Rob

Right. Super cool effect for a game of this era!

You can test the various GI strings in the TESTS menu. For the most part the red GI lamps are marked with an R on the PF.

Works fine with LEDs, my game has been converted over and it works like a champ.

#1047 10 months ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:So I just completed (minus a couple tiny things) the shop on my Black Rose and am now starting to tune it up. Anyone have any tips?

Fly offs from the whirlpool... at least they usually end up back in the shooter lane. Doesn't seem to be any adjustment? -- Maybe solved with some an extra washer on the wireform mounting post?

My whirlpool rail used to do this and I spent ages trying to stop it. Eventually I did fix it by widening the rails on the tight bend after the whirlpool. I stuck some pliers between the rails and opened them to bend the rails up and apart, it's fixed and hasn't done it since.

#1048 10 months ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Right. Super cool effect for a game of this era!
You can test the various GI strings in the TESTS menu. For the most part the red GI lamps are marked with an R on the PF.
Works fine with LEDs, my game has been converted over and it works like a champ.

+1 for red/white GI!

#1049 10 months ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Works fine with LEDs, my game has been converted over and it works like a champ

What LEDs are you using? Tested the 2 red bulbs in the slings changing them to LED and I instantly blew fuse 109

#1050 10 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

What LEDs are you using? Tested the 2 red bulbs in the slings changing them to LED and I instantly blew fuse 109

Weird.

Nothing special, just a couple regular old LEDs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Sale Pending!
Birmingham, AL
There are 1335 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside