• Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31-1655-SET (resized).jpg
89539C62-A0DC-4B74-8286-5DD91D41FDC7 (resized).jpeg
20240203_192829 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240105_184120_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e9d73b89c70d6495b6a0cb45dc76cce9 (resized).jpg
20210724_181347 (resized).jpg
372951015_1333173387326857_6297914620449767896_n.jpg
3588FEEE-F21F-4133-BD86-E554A175DC14 (resized).jpeg
webStore BR2 - 600x400 (resized).jpg
Bracket (resized).png
20230731_163944 (resized).jpg
20230731_163924 (resized).jpg
20230731_163833 (resized).jpg
20230731_163815 (resized).jpg
20230731_163615 (resized).jpg
20230731_163658 (resized).jpg
20230731_163553 (resized).jpg
There are 1,896 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 38.
#451 7 years ago

So, I'm not an owner, yet. But I have an opportunity to get a Black Rose. Obviously y'all here like this game. Asking permission to hang out and pick your brain on why or why I shouldn't buy this. The one that I can get is described as: Cliffy on canon, LED's, typical red cabinet fade. Fun game. $2300. I've never played it before. My only pin is a Getaway HS2. I'm a novice to middle of the road player. Thoughts and thanks for listening.

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

So, I'm not an owner, yet. But I have an opportunity to get a Black Rose. Obviously y'all here like this game. Asking permission to hang out and pick your brain on why or why I shouldn't buy this. The one that I can get is described as: Cliffy on canon, LED's, typical red cabinet fade. Fun game. $2300. I've never played it before. My only pin is a Getaway HS2. I'm a novice to middle of the road player. Thoughts and thanks for listening.

I would say it is one of the most under rated pins around. Nice flow and a great rule set make it a real keeper for me. To be perfectly honest I actually play my Black Rose more than my Attack from Mars !

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I would say it is one of the most under rated pins around. Nice flow and a great rule set make it a real keeper for me. To be perfectly honest I actually play my Black Rose more than my Attack from Mars !

You can always offload your AFM in my direction...

#454 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I'm a novice to middle of the road player.

This is a fun machine. The rules are not complicated, so when I've got non-pinballers over it is very easy to explain what to do.

If you are looking at one in particular, make sure the middle "cannon" wire form is in good shape, as these seem to be pretty unobtanium...
As well as the cannon plastic. PPS use to stock them but have since sold out, and may be a while if they even make more.

#455 7 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

This is a fun machine. The rules are not complicated, so when I've got non-pinballers over it is very easy to explain what to do

Heh, really? I have more trouble explaining this than almost any wpc game

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Heh, really? I have more trouble explaining this than almost any wpc game

I guess I'm comparing it to most of the newer titles. But essentially you're just trying to sink ships...
Skill shot is self explanatory, hit the three bank to open locker /or two ramp shots, and load cannon. There's more to it but that will give most people some idea of what's going on.

1 week later
#457 7 years ago

Has anyone installed the ultimate back panel illumination mod on black rose? Was hoping to see of picture if this mod on the game.

Thanks

#458 7 years ago

Not sure what the ultimate back panel mod is, but I wired a 12v led strip to the bottom of the glass plastic. It works pretty good to illuminate the back section. Now I just need to swap the spots on the playfield with something less purple...

IMG_2384 (resized).JPGIMG_2384 (resized).JPG

#459 7 years ago

Looks pretty darn good, you can really see the ship now!

#460 7 years ago

Hey guys, I'm looking for a lockdown bar. The one on my game has a bunch of pop rivets in it for some reason. I've posted a wanted ad also. I'll be in CA in a couple of weeks so hoping I can source one in that time. Cheers,

#461 7 years ago

I posted in your other posting that a nba fastbreak lockdown bar will work also

#462 7 years ago

I just picked one up last week. Working, dirty, faded cab, but still nice and 800 bones.

IMG_1280 (resized).JPGIMG_1280 (resized).JPG

IMG_1291 (resized).JPGIMG_1291 (resized).JPG

IMG_1288 (resized).JPGIMG_1288 (resized).JPG

IMG_1305 (resized).JPGIMG_1305 (resized).JPG

#463 7 years ago

WOW, what a deal!!!

#464 7 years ago

Has anyone recently purchased the replacement cannon assembly plastic from Planetary? I purchased one last year and there's just too many imperfections on the surface (it ain't perfectly flat) so the the ball hops A LOT.

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Has anyone recently purchased the replacement cannon assembly plastic from Planetary? I purchased one last year and there's just too many imperfections on the surface (it ain't perfectly flat) so the the ball hops A LOT.

It's an incredibly bad job

#466 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I just picked one up last week. Working, dirty, faded cab, but still nice and 800 bones

Wow, You got an awesome deal!
That Playfield looks like it's in near perfect shape! I paid $600+ for a NOS playfield alone for mine, not to mention your ramps look to be original and not repaired like a lot of BR's
Congrats!

#467 7 years ago

Getting ready to put in new pinball pro speakers and pinsound board when they arrive in the next few days. My question is how do you access the speakers in the back box?? Do you take out the screws on the top of the box and below the speakers or no?

Thank you
Jason

#468 7 years ago

It looks like the game sat for many years unplayed. the rubber is rotting and it's quite dirty. I don't think the previous owner ever took the glass off.

#469 7 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Getting ready to put in new pinball pro speakers and pinsound board when they arrive in the next few days. My question is how do you access the speakers in the back box?? Do you take out the screws on the top of the box and below the speakers or no?
Thank you
Jason

That's right Jason. Just undo the screws and grab the panel.
As for replacement speakers, there is less depth compared to your regular WPC game.
I had tried two different sets which didn't fit because of that. Will report back with info regarding the type that finally worked for me.

#470 7 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

Not sure what the ultimate back panel mod is, but I wired a 12v led strip to the bottom of the glass plastic. It works pretty good to illuminate the back section. Now I just need to swap the spots on the playfield with something less purple...

Great idea. I am going to add a small yellow strip under the apron. Might as well do the back panel. Why did you go with 12V? I was looking to hook mine up to the GI. Would you recommend otherwise?

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

Will report back with info regarding the type that finally worked for me.

Here we go, it's Crunch DSX-62. I also needed to use a 5mm spacer.

IMG_20151016_152026231_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20151016_152026231_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20151016_143715118 (resized).jpgIMG_20151016_143715118 (resized).jpg

#472 7 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

Great idea. I am going to add a small yellow strip under the apron. Might as well do the back panel. Why did you go with 12V? I was looking to hook mine up to the GI. Would you recommend otherwise?

I just went 12v for convenience.
I should note that I put black electrical tape over some of the LED's in the middle because the reflection off the playfield was too much...

#473 7 years ago

My cannon just stopped working. Once it goes into Davey Jones locker and down to the cannon it doesn't register that it's in there so I can't fire. It was working perfectly before and just stopped working. I pulled the playfield up and it looks like one wire is off and was curious from the pictures if this is where it goes.

IMG_2053_LI (resized).jpgIMG_2053_LI (resized).jpg

IMG_2051 (resized).JPGIMG_2051 (resized).JPG

#474 7 years ago

Just looking at the pictures, I would say that's where the wire goes. I'm away from my machine, so I can't look at it to verify.

#475 7 years ago

Thanks Bill, appreciate the help. This is going to be my first solder job so wanted to double check

#476 7 years ago

Got two mods done yesterday on my day off and I'm very happy with the results. First off was the Rock Custom Pinball back panel lighting mod. Very simple install, peel off backing and stick the LED strip in the back under the glass. I really like the fact that it just plugs into an unused portion of the motherboard in the back box, no other cords needed, etc. I have it set to slowly change colors and this gives a great effect to the back of the game. Money well spent for showing off a great game.

The second mod was installing the PinSound sound board with Pinball Pro speakers designed for the Pinsound board. WOW. Totally changed the feel of the game. First off, after taking the old original small subwoofer out of the cabinet, I found it was missing the outer rim foam. So not a effective sub at all. I ordered the upgraded sub and wow this thing was massive compared to the old one. About twice its size. Installation was perfect fit. Second, the speakers in the back box fit perfectly, minus I had to match drill four holes to mount the right speakers wooden pane that came with the speakers, but beyond that, they fit and cleared everything. I installed the PinSound board with the optional 2.1 surround sound cable as recommended by Pinball Pro and I couldn't be happier. The original soundtrack that I downloaded from PinSound is great and really gets intense with the music that is played during multi ball. Sounds like a score designed for a big ship battle in a movie.

So the game is coming along great from what I've done in the past month or so I've owned her. Next up, I think I'm going to switch back to the black lightning flippers. Not sure why this game had the standard yellows in there, but I bought the originals from Marco. They are just a tad shorter, 1/8", guess that is why people change them out for the longer standard ones.

IMG_1546 (resized).jpgIMG_1546 (resized).jpg

#477 7 years ago

Can someone check to see if the cannon on my pin is mounted correctly. Per the owners manual, the cannon should be able to fire from one side of the play field getting into pirate's cove, to the other side which would lead you up to the pop bumpers. My game can only make it to the whirlpool ramp just before the mechanism contacts the mounting post as shown in the picture. The former owner said when they bought the game, it did not even have a cannon and a local pinball/video game repair place put this one it. Is it mounted incorrectly? I do know they did a hack job on the last motor/gearbox and I had to change it out only a few weeks of owning it. Seems they cracked open the gear bock and had JB well a a friction gear to make the cannon rotate. Once it wore away, there was nothing left. Thankfully Marco sold them, although wow are they expensive. But that's with overtime money is for right? Any pictures would be great. Never taken this apart before so it should be interesting, only changed the motor/gearbox assembly.

View of picture is looking directly inside the cabinet from the change door.

IMG_1548 (resized).jpgIMG_1548 (resized).jpg

#478 7 years ago

Here's a photo I pulled off the Black rose photo gallery.
It looks like your motor assembly is backwards. Not sure if that would solve your issue though...
I don't have it handy but I think the owners manual covers the cannon assembly fairly well.
Hope you figure it out!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
#479 7 years ago

Ok mounted the cannon motor as the manual stated, seems to help a little bit with weight distribution. And per videos I've seen and the mount locations on the play field, the cannon will only pivot a certain amount to the right so It is normal.

Switched over to the black OEM lightning bolt flippers with super bands and LOVE them! First, they just look better and secondly, those superbands seem to add much more control in the game. Sank 3 ships on my first game with the new flipper/rubbers!

Plus, been trouble shooting switch 72 middle ramp inop. First, I thought it was a bad switch, then maybe the diode, or something on the circuit board. After ohming out the connector to the switch, it was found open. Didn't notice any broken wires, but when I pulled on the wires under the play field, the connectors came out of through hole! The "professional" shop that worked on this game for the former owner must have never connected these wires! So I just connected the plugs together and presto! Switch 72 works again! YAY.

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Switched over to the black OEM lightning bolt flippers

I don't get why so many people put lightning flippers on this game... They don't seem to have been introduced until doctor who and fish tales months later and the manual states it uses regular 3" flippers.

#481 7 years ago

The prototypes used the lightning flippers, but they were switched to regular for production. They look cool, at least.

#482 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I don't get why so many people put lightning flippers on this game... They don't seem to have been introduced until doctor who and fish tales months later and the manual states it uses regular 3" flippers.

I do see in the manual it states the part number for a yellow flipper, but in the promo video for the game as well as the flyer, the flippers were black so, for one, they look better on this game in my opinion, and two, I thought that these should have been on there in the first place and the other company that worked on this pin just installed what they had since two flippers were yellow and one was white.

Next up is to install the stickers for the "gears" of the cannon below the play field. I'm guessing I'll do that whenever I get the Cliffy Cannon protector in the mail and have to pull the cannon out. Not really looking forward to it, but just another bit of owning and maintaining a pinball. Yay

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I do see in the manual it states the part number for a yellow flipper, but in the promo video for the game as well as the flyer, the flippers were black so, for one, they look better on this game in my opinion, and two, I thought that these should have been on there in the first place and the other company that worked on this pin just installed what they had since two flippers were yellow and one was white.
Next up is to install the stickers for the "gears" of the cannon below the play field. I'm guessing I'll do that whenever I get the Cliffy Cannon protector in the mail and have to pull the cannon out. Not really looking forward to it, but just another bit of owning and maintaining a pinball. Yay

I agree black looks better, but aesthetic changes are much more minor than installing lightning flippers...

#484 7 years ago

Im looking for a new or used Cannon Body for my Black Rose. I just bought the machine, and sadly, have found that the previous owner has simply glued a broken cannon together and it fell apart after a few plays.
Anyway, can anyone point me to a supplier that might stock? Ive cant seem to find any, and am desperate to get to play!!

Thanks.

#485 7 years ago

I thought I read that the lightning flippers are slightly shorter...?

#486 7 years ago
Quoted from ColinLuxford:

Im looking for a new or used Cannon Body for my Black Rose. I just bought the machine, and sadly, have found that the previous owner has simply glued a broken cannon together and it fell apart after a few plays.
Anyway, can anyone point me to a supplier that might stock? Ive cant seem to find any, and am desperate to get to play!!
Thanks.

Ugh, that sucks. Mr Pinball in Australia had it listed on his site not all that long ago (just before Xmas from memory). I was thinking of getting one as a spare. Unfortunately it's now listed as out of stock. Maybe send him a message to see when they might be back?

#487 7 years ago

Yeah. Called em and no luck. Sold out over xmas and wont be restocking them. There is another supplier that has one for $400, but that seems a bit like robbery.

#488 7 years ago

BTW, what's a "cliffy" . I see it referred to in a lot of posts.

#489 7 years ago

Does PPS have the mold to make more cannons? Might be worth a try, I know I would buy a spare...

#490 7 years ago

PPS?

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

Does PPS have the mold to make more cannons? Might be worth a try, I know I would buy a spare...

They used to sell them, so I assume so. Then again the repros aren't quite the same as the originals...

#492 7 years ago

Planetary Pinball

Quoted from zacaj:

They used to sell them, so I assume so. Then again the repros aren't quite the same as the originals...

I know the quality of the cannon wasn't top notch, But it's probably the only option... The one I got was actually pretty nice, but I know others had posted otherwise.

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

Send them an email too. If they receive enough inquiry, they may be tempted to run a batch off. cheers.

#494 7 years ago

BTW, what's a "cliffy" . I see it referred to in a lot of posts.

Short for Cliffy protector. He makes protectors for high wear areas on the playfield.
Take a look: http://www.passionforpinball.com/protectors.htm

#495 7 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

They are.

#496 7 years ago

Thanks.

Here is a company that has a whole assembly for sale, only 1 in stock. Brand new!!

http://littleshopofgames.com/product/black-rose-cannon-assembly-complete-new-old-stock/

#497 7 years ago

Does anyone have an extra set of slingshot plastics they would be willing to sell me? Used is ok as long as they are aren't cracked. Please... I'm desperate.

blackrose (resized).jpgblackrose (resized).jpg

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

they are 1/8" shorter.

#499 7 years ago

If you didn't like $400 you won't like $575 for the NOS...

Is the cannon rebulidable like JD motor? What goes bad on it & does it happen often?

#500 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

What goes bad on it & does it happen often?

It's not the motor that's the problem. The body is plastic and gets broken quite easily from the ball running over it and being fired out of it all the time

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 34.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,896 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-rose-club-owners-and-fans-welcome/page/10?hl=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.