• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Rikoshay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hey y’all,
Got an intermittent (loud) buzz on my solenoid expansion board… real quick buzz when flippers are pressed, or outhole kicker fires. Doesn’t stay when the flipper is held down, only when it’s first energized. Can feel it when my finger is on the relay. Reflowed all connector pins. Everything still functioning as it should. Time for a new board? Or is there something else I should be looking for? Thanks in advance!

#2 2 years ago

does it operate fine, on/off/on/off in lamp test?

does the bulb nearby turn on and off as it is energised?

#3 2 years ago

In lamp test the bulb lights, and the relay makes quite a bit of noise, more a buzz than a nice solid click, wondering if it could be a voltage issue, or just a worn relay

#4 2 years ago

remove the relay board, 2 screws, and check for any dry solder joints on the rear.

#5 2 years ago

Replaced the board with a new (nice) one from barakandl , as I feared, same buzz in lamp test, so I don’t think the board is the problem, not sure what’s next

#6 2 years ago

Have you confirmed all the wires on the connector are going to the right pins?

#7 2 years ago

check rear of the lamp driver board header pins for any dry joints, J3 pin 11 is the for the relay, also check the SCR on the lamp driver Q54 i think (print is tiny) that works the relay.

check inside the relay plug itself that none of the pins are broken

#8 2 years ago

Checked the SCR (Q14) by shorting the anode to ground, still makes the same buzz, interestingly, the modern board/relay seems way more sensitive to it. I should reiterate, it is turning the swinging target on the way it should, the machine plays perfectly, it just sounds awful

#9 2 years ago

looking at an Eight Ball Deluxe schematic Q14 is for the 1 rack.

Q54 is for the solenoid expander board.

what game is this for?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

looking at an Eight Ball Deluxe schematic Q14 is for the 1 rack.
Q54 is for the solenoid expander board.
what game is this for?

According to subject line, black pyramid.

#11 2 years ago

of course, my bad, lack of attention to detail, not the first time

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

of course, my bad, lack of attention to detail, not the first time

and looking at the schematic i am wrong, for Black Pyramid Q14 is the transistor for the solenoid expander that controls the swinging motor.

#13 2 years ago

how about the lamp driver header pins/solder joints for J1 especially pin 18, and check the pin inside the connector?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-pyramid-solenoid-expansion-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.