Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DragonPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi everyone, I need help with a Black Knight.

Machine is a friends that I am doing a play field restore on. Machine was having trouble booting into attract at his house, but when I moved it to my house now it wont boot at all.
All playfield connectors were removed and reconnected at my place.

I only get the Gen illumination to come on with power switch. No displays, no feature lights.
CPU light on board will mostly be a zero, sometimes it does not even come on.

Seems really flaky, when powered on I hear the speaker buzz then fade out. Sometimes a random sound effect will fire off. Sound board test still seems to work fine though.

after futzing with resetting connectors, 40 pin etc, I got some activity but just a flash of response from displays then they are out, zero on cpu board.

Boards were recently sent out and repaired, I am stumped on this one and really bummed as its not my machine.

Anybody have any advice for why its not booting? where should I look to next?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

What repairs were done to the boards? Was the 40 pin replaced?

#3 9 years ago

Have you checked the 12V and 5V power rails going in to the CPU board to make sure that the CPU is getting powered?

I'd take a look at that, and make sure to check continuity on all of your fuses.

#4 9 years ago

Could the playfield wiring harness been hooked up wrong? I believe Black Knight is known to have 2 identical connectors that can be easily hooked up incorrectly. Later I believe one was made in a different color. Check the wire colors on each side of the connectors.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Play field was hooked up incorrectly once before by the owner, that is what prompted the initial board repair.

It honestly seems to act like that is the issue!, but we marked each of the connectors before taking it apart. So I ma pretty sure they are correct. I have checked and double checked this many times. The two that can be interchanged, one is white and one is black, wire colors are matching as are marks made before disconnection.

I will check the power going to the cpu side tonight. Is the procedure for that to test the connectors while installed?

Thanks

#6 9 years ago

To close this out. This issue looks to have been something as simple as replacing the batteries! I guess the cmos memory is not holding a charge? I did a few simple things to troubleshoot, but I believe replacing the batteries allowed the machine to once again boot.
Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-wont-boot-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.