Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dzorbas
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CF24589A-45A5-412B-AC34-44F61D91909E (resized).png
    20171117_234525 (resized).jpg
    20171117_174752 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

All Right guys, I have an amazing Black Knight here that has no speech, everything else works great all other sounds , game play is flawless, game is near flawless . I’ve reseated the speech roms, all connectors on every board, checked fuses, you name it. What’s next to try a new set of Speech roms? I’ll do It if I have to because this game is well worth it. Attached is a pick of the sound board and the game .

20171117_174752 (resized).jpg20171117_174752 (resized).jpg
    20171117_234525 (resized).jpg20171117_234525 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Was the speech working, but now it isn't--or was it never working to begin with?

Also, do you have Clay's system 3-7 guides? He has a very good troubleshooting section for the sound/speech boards.

#3 6 years ago

The speech has never worked since I got it.

#4 6 years ago

Likely that you have a resistor on the sound board that needs to be cut.

#6 6 years ago

It's kind of obvious, but did you try turning the potentiometer on the upper left of the speech board? If it's turned all the way in one direction you won't hear speech, just sound.

#7 6 years ago

Replace all the caps on that board... I always start there...

#8 6 years ago

CF24589A-45A5-412B-AC34-44F61D91909E (resized).pngCF24589A-45A5-412B-AC34-44F61D91909E (resized).png

#9 6 years ago

All the individual components are in stock

#10 6 years ago

You think caps could be causing the issue with the speech?
    I adjusted the volume on the board it increases the sound volume but that's it.

#11 6 years ago

Also I have a firepower as well that works fine...could I swap the sound board over to my black knight without damaging anything to test.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from caz1844:

Also I have a firepower as well that works fine...could I swap the sound board over to my black knight without damaging anything to test.

I've swapped mine, so I'd say yes.

#13 6 years ago

i misread that only the speech doesn’t work and sound are ok

#14 6 years ago

Yeah...sounds are ok.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Brijam:

It's kind of obvious, but did you try turning the potentiometer on the upper left of the speech board? If it's turned all the way in one direction you won't hear speech, just sound.

Did you do this... (know it’s obvious)

#17 6 years ago

Update...and things got worse. I was playing the game for days since I got it and all was well except.the speech. But the other day I turned it on and notice a the upper right coil locked burning out the corresponding transistors. So I will replace the transistor and all.the caps on the old power supply before I proceed. I failed to mention that the displays are scrolling which I've ready is an issue with failed caps on the power supply...I wonder if the bad caps may have caused the coil to lock and blow the transistor?

1 month later
    #18 6 years ago

Any updates on this? My BK doesn't talk either. I swapped the speech board with the one in my Firepower. Both boards seem to work fine in FP with the FP roms. Neither work in BK with the BK ROMs.

Does anyone know if I put a board in FP with the BK ROMs whether the test will play the BK speech?

I'm leaning towards new speech ROMs but I don't want to waste money if it might be something else...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-with-no-speech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.