#2 10 years ago

Wow. Interesting "vs" matchup.

BK for the win hands down.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

BK for the win hands down.

+1

#4 10 years ago

BK all the way, Black hole bores me, but getting multiball is rewarding.

#5 10 years ago

I have both, I would trade BK way before I ever give up BH. Black hole is awesome. I love getting multiball going on both levels. It plays really fast when it's waxed up and the upper playfield slingshots are dialed in.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I have both, I would trade BK way before I ever give up BH. Black hole is awesome. I love getting multiball going on both levels. It plays really fast when it's waxed up and the upper playfield slingshots are dialed in.

It IS fast. one of the few widebodys that move the ball that quick. I love the upper slings, and my pop bumpers are lively as well

7 years later
#7 3 years ago

Bumping this for more opinions.

#8 3 years ago

Gonna be the nerd here who says Black Hole all the way. I'm Gottlieb guy thick and thin, but the multi-ball over playfield levels is next level. Super challenging to achieve, and there's absolutely nothing compares to the optical illusion of having two balls on two different planes on two different slopes. Also the art package on Black Hole is light years better.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Gonna be the nerd here who says Black Hole all the way. I'm Gottlieb guy thick and thin, but the multi-ball over playfield levels is next level. Super challenging to achieve, and there's absolutely nothing compares to the optical illusion of having two balls on two different planes on two different slopes. Also the art package on Black Hole is light years better.

What he said! The only downside to BH is that it’s a bear to work on and shop. Certainly not for the faint hearted.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

What he said! The only downside to BH is that it’s a bear to work on and shop. Certainly not for the faint hearted.

I agree. When I got mine, it didn't need a whole ton of playfield work but needed quite a bit of board work. Once I got it all shopped out, I haven't had a single issue with it.

Was just working on a Buddys and it's literally been making me want to off myself or give up on working on games altogether. Great learning experience, but damn.

#11 3 years ago

Once you go black...

#12 3 years ago

I have BK and BH and have hung onto them since the 80s and I've unloaded a LOT of games over the years so obviously I love each. I'd say BK is generally more fun more of the time. BH is a tougher game with a lot of open space on the top playfield, but as mentioned there is NO equal in pinball to BH's three multiballs going on two different levels with one of them turned backwards. BH's lower playfield being backwards is a fun and challenging playfield all by itself with just one ball. I've had good luck with my BH's reliability but only after doing the ground wire mods. They are both immutable classics.

#13 3 years ago

I will say, Black Knight was far more revolutionary than Black Hole, but plays way worse. BK plays like a total clunker to me. In my head, the Black Knight layout and concept wasn't totally flushed out and smooth playing until BK2K was released, but the original BK definitely paved the way for pinball as we know it today.

#14 3 years ago

Another plus for BH is it has two specials, both of which are challenging to get. BK has one special but it's only light-able on the final bonus ball after a multiple player game. That's one sore spot I have about BK, should've had a one player special in the rules someplace.

#15 3 years ago

I had BK and BH at the same time. Guess which one I still have. Black hole all the way for me. Great game!

#16 3 years ago

I also had BK and BH at the same time. I held on to BK. BH is pretty, but BK has staying power.

#17 3 years ago

Tough match up. Ive owned both. Which one would I want to own again? BH for sure. I owned it for less than a year and I dont think I ever got multiball.
BK you typically get multiball every game. The soundtrack on BH is nauseatingly repetitive but the gameplay is far superior (even though its a bit slow) and with that awesome spinning backglass it is a thing of beauty for sure.

#18 3 years ago

I stand by my comment from 7 yrs ago. I still have both but BK was for sale when I moved.

#19 3 years ago

I've pondered selling both of them (actually did put the BK up for sale once) but now all I have to do is play a killer game on either one and I think "Don't be stupid, dude."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-vs-black-hole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.