Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1FA6ACB2-1742-46C9-8B55-9E65BED9CEBB (resized).jpeg

#1 8 days ago

Hi again. I’ve got my Black Knight nearly playable - last hurdle is that the upper flippers aren’t firing. Lowers seem fine. I know I read something about testing coils by shorting something to ground, but when I search I’m just coming up with posts on how to rebuild flippers. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated!

Edit: Also, meta point - if I have multiple issues is the etiquette to post multiple topics or to do one thread per machine? The former seems better for search but maybe too chatty? F.e - it looks like the 5T5002 rom on the speech board might be bad (all those words are missing from the self test and pushing on it doesn’t resolve it). Should I cover that here or post again?

#2 7 days ago

Briefly touch a grounded wire to the non-banded side of the diode on the coil to test that the coil fires.

If that checks okay, make sure both sets of contacts on the flipper buttons are closing. Each flipper button has two sets of contacts, one for lower and one for upper.

Download the manual from IPDB and look at page 23 for the flipper wiring. A couple of connectors involved, so make sure they are all seated well.

#3 7 days ago

Thank you! I have both coils weakly firing from the flipper. Probably need to do a lot of cleaning and maybe a rebuild, but they’re functioning. The coils worked when I shorted them and it looks like it’s just badly oxidized switches in the flippers.

#4 7 days ago

Oh - to clarify - this article suggests all early solid state flipper contacts are tungsten and the way to clean them is with a metal file: http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/pinball-switches-fixing-adjusting/

Is that true for Black Knight? The contacts are pretty brutalized and I don’t want to make them worse by using the wrong technique.

1FA6ACB2-1742-46C9-8B55-9E65BED9CEBB (resized).jpeg
#5 7 days ago
Quoted from kevinclark:

Is that true for Black Knight?

Yes. File them.

EOS too, and be sure plenty of tension holding them closed.

LTG : )

#6 7 days ago

I too had a problem with the flippers on my BK when first firing it up and it was dirty/oxidized/corroded cabinet switch contacts. Cleaned them up and they have been working ever since!

#7 6 days ago

Looks like it was a combination of corrosion and badly adjusted switches. I tweaked them so they make better contact (while I wait for a flexstone to come in) and now the game is playable. Flippers are a little weak, but functioning.

#8 6 days ago
Quoted from kevinclark:

(while I wait for a flexstone to come in)

Jewelers file works better for this.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside