Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Patofnaud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have an early 1980s Black Knight pin which was working fine. I recently replaced the IC17 and IC20 flipper ROMs after getting a diagnostic LED error message on the board. After replacing the ROMs, everything looked good. The game kicked into attract mode and I could add credits. However, when I push the start game button nothing happens. I tested the button and the button works so I am at a loss now.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

The game MUST detect all 3 balls before it will start. Run diagnostics, go into switch tests and see if it finds the 3 switches where the balls are resting.

#3 8 years ago

Yup, on that machine all three balls must be closing the outhole trough switches or you can't start a game.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

The game MUST detect all 3 balls before it will start

Could be this, and easiest check is a switch test. I had a driverboard go bad (which controls lighting, switches, and drives coils), so it had nothing to do with the playfield. It could be board related. I would start checking components, if you're not up for that and want a quick fix, I HIGHLY recommend replacing it with a Kohaut PCB:
http://www.pinballpcb.com/System3-7DriverBoard.html

It's bulletproof, works great with this title, will make it rock solid, and has nice diagnostic LED strips on it.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the tips...I will give it a try and let ya'll know.

#6 8 years ago

The upper playfield ball lock trough is included also, so any combination of balls in the outhole trough & upper lock trough must equal 3 balls.

#7 8 years ago

One easy way to divide the problem is to try to start the game with 2 balls in the upper trough, and 1 in the lower. If that works, the problem is in the lower PF trough.

#8 8 years ago

Starting the game with two balls in the upper trough actually started the game, however the ball in the lower trough didn't eject and none of the down targets popped up.

I also ran the switch test and diagnostics identified about nine bad switches. I can't imagine that many switches went bad overnight...

Any thoughts?

#9 8 years ago

Also sound like you have a blown solenoid fuse.

#10 8 years ago

Check the connectors at the top right corner of the driver board. There are two 9pin ones that handle switches.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from BK1980:

down targets popped up.
I also ran the switch test and diagnostics identified about nine bad switches. I can't imagine that many switches went bad overnight...

Down targets = switches.... Thats why you had 9.

Sol fuse bad... It is a 2.5A SB on the power board, I forget if it is the 2nd or 3rd from the right. Manual will show.

#12 8 years ago

Blown sol fuse...all fixed! Thanks for all the help.

#13 8 years ago

One enemy does not stop the Black Knight....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-unable-to-start-game-from-attract-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.