(Topic ID: 50563)

Black Knight System 7 GI Problem (solved!)

By mof

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ChadTower
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BK_bulb2.jpg
BK_bulb1.jpg
#1 10 years ago

The GI went out on my Black Knight during a party on Saturday, and the game continued to play fine. Today I took a closer look, and I found a blown fuse on the fuse card -- the 20a 6.3v for GI. It had the correct fuse in there. I replaced it with a 20a 32v fuse from Radio Shack tonight. Powered the machine on, and it looked good. The moment I pressed the Start button to set up player 1, the GI went out, and now the new fuse is blown. I've decided to stop and learn more.

Any and all tips are appreciated on where to begin diagnosing. I really enjoy learning and fixing these pins.

thanks!
-mof

#2 10 years ago

You definitely have a short in there. For a start look for anything shorting to GI sockets or wiring, anything that may have shifted and now causes problems.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You definitely have a short in there. For a start look for anything shorting to GI sockets or wiring, anything that may have shifted and now causes problems.

Thanks Lloyd, I'll lift her up and check under the hood for anything suspicious -- is there anything about pressing Start that is a clue for you ?
-mof

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

is there anything about pressing Start that is a clue for you ?

Sorry, no. That action just adds to the dilemma. Unless the start button hits something it shouldn't.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Oh, I forgot to ask one of the most important questions.

Q: What is the last thing you were tinkering with in there mof before this started happening?
A: I removed a few plastics to replace a few bulbs.

also -- I did play a few games after replacing 2-3 bulbs before the GI fuse started blowing, so I was in the clear for a while after doing that...

-mof

#6 10 years ago

I'd replace the fuse again and then instead of starting a game run the diagnostics. See if the fuse blows when running each test. This way you can isolate whether the problem is the interaction with controlled lamps, solenoids or switches.

viperrwk

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I'd replace the fuse again and then instead of starting a game run the diagnostics. See if the fuse blows when running each test. This way you can isolate whether the problem is the interaction with controlled lamps, solenoids or switches.
viperrwk

After a brief and uneventful examination of each GI bulb's wiring under the playfield, against my better judgment, I tried a 2nd fuse, and the fuse blew immediately on powering on the machine, so we now know the start button 5 seconds later, wasn't a factor, but at least we know GI has the capacity to stay on a few seconds before popping.

-mof

#8 10 years ago

Now is the fun part...

You could have a bulb socket shorted to ground or some other wiring. It's very common that when you twist in a #44/47 bulb you spin the socket and in turn spin the leg that you solder to.

Start by lifting up the playfield and following your GI circuit (braided wires stapled, or yellow wires usually, starting from one end to the other.

If you find nothing, then pull the bulbs you put in. Try again.

If still blows, then divide and conquer time. Pull the GI connectors off the P/S.. Still blow? if yes, you have a supply issue, if no, then reconnect the backbox GI. Still blow? If no its somewhere on the playfield. If yes, the backbox.

If blows when you hook the playfield, follow that hardness to the PF and walk it along.

Like I said, usually its a socket that twisted and shorted.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Now is the fun part...
You could have a bulb socket shorted to ground or some other wiring. It's very common that when you twist in a #44/47 bulb you spin the socket and in turn spin the leg that you solder to.
Start by lifting up the playfield and following your GI circuit (braided wires stapled, or yellow wires usually, starting from one end to the other.
If you find nothing, then pull the bulbs you put in. Try again.
If still blows, then divide and conquer time. Pull the GI connectors off the P/S.. Still blow? if yes, you have a supply issue, if no, then reconnect the backbox GI. Still blow? If no its somewhere on the playfield. If yes, the backbox.
If blows when you hook the playfield, follow that hardness to the PF and walk it along.
Like I said, usually its a socket that twisted and shorted.

Brilliant ideas. I was thinking along these lines, "MOF!!! What did you DO last, and UNDO it." And see what changes. I never thought installing a few bulbs could be this disastrous.

Perhaps the "to do" is to review under the PF every time you install a new bulb, and verify that nothing is rotating?

-mof

#10 10 years ago

It's more of a problem on older machines where the socket is not stamped as tightly as it once was. I've done this spin/short thing on my BK before.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

It's more of a problem on older machines where the socket is not stamped as tightly as it once was. I've done this spin/short thing on my BK before.

Awesome. Can't wait to get home and remove all the GI bulbs and see where I stand. Hoping it's just that...
-mof

#12 10 years ago

Solved.

Got home, removed all the white plastic caps and all the plastics I had removed days earlier. There it was. The pictures say it all. Someone removed some wire(s) from the ends of a few bulb sockets, and there's a loose piece that is allowed to ROTATE freely as it wishes.

Thanks for the help !!!
-mof

BK_bulb1.jpgBK_bulb1.jpg BK_bulb2.jpgBK_bulb2.jpg

#13 10 years ago

Well done sir! Glad you figured it out!

--BTW, that was not me, I would fess up if I had monkeyed with that.

#14 10 years ago

That's a common fix for bad Bally light sockets. Sort of sloppy but I've been there many times fighting those @#$#@$# Bally sockets until I finally said screw it and started swapping them all out.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

That's a common fix for bad Bally light sockets. Sort of sloppy but I've been there many times fighting those @#$#@$# Bally sockets until I finally said screw it and started swapping them all out.

What was the original problem and solution here? Why did this guy do this?
-mof

#16 10 years ago

Corrosion gets between the barrel of the socket and the base, that short green wire jumps over the corrosion.

Fwiw, that is the same socket I've shorted out on my BK. Just below the upper left flipper. Mine just spun and shorted the trigger wire to the base. Just had to un-spin it.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What was the original problem and solution here? Why did this guy do this?
-mof

Yep, the original problem is that the socket didn't work anymore because continuity from the tab to the housing degraded. He modded the socket so that the wire goes straight to the housing. That's one way to fix a dead Bally socket. The better way is to replace the socket with a new one, but when you're looking at a player game with 85 sockets and half of them are wonky, I understand when someone mods the socket instead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-system-7-gi-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.