36%
  • Premium 61 votes
    27%
  • LE 86 votes
    37%

(230 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 385 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191111_213943 (resized).jpg
20191111_223954 (resized).jpg
20191111_223912 (resized).jpg
20191105_225139 (resized).jpg
20191105_224041 (resized).jpg
60EE3DA4-24D0-48F9-B81A-0C2D0403C7CC (resized).jpeg
690F0A43-7EDA-46C8-901D-F30C0D7A0FF8 (resized).jpeg
557C3C7B-865D-47B1-92A0-18250961302C (resized).jpeg
73497805_1170753099979228_1768579734771335168_n (resized).jpg
75553069_2472485012820048_5846845241830670336_n (resized).jpg
74673286_2489766651114460_2414374990242643968_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191026-120044_Gallery (resized).jpg
18D4A612-0AAD-4A70-9E42-CB1A7C128CA3 (resized).jpeg
20191101_181755 (resized).jpg
20191026_120007 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191026-120044_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #3 Black Knight Feature matrix. Posted by NeilMcRae (7 months ago)

Post #27 Rules card. Posted by NeilMcRae (7 months ago)

Post #539 remove upper Playfield Posted by Captainhook (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 months ago

On the list for an LE... Last LE I bought was STLE.

1 month later
#225 6 months ago

My LE comes tomorrow. Does anyone sell clear plastic protectors yet? How about Cliffy protectors? Anyone adding mylar or other protection want to share?

#227 6 months ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Who did you buy it from?

Trent

#247 5 months ago

I took the day off today to wait for my LE arrival. Trying to figure out which game moves to the garage to make room.

#252 5 months ago
20190517_144948 (resized).jpg
#260 5 months ago

While unpacking, I was surprised to see how sturdy the cabinets are now. Even the bottom board is super nice 3/4 inch plywood. In comparison my Star Wars has 1/2 inch particle board. There are plenty of corner braces now too.

20190517_203554 (resized).jpg
#287 5 months ago

One of the first things I do with new Stern games is put mylar under the front on the apron to keep the edge from digging in to the clear coat. I just got a 3D printer, so I'm looking for quick projects to hone my skills. I whipped up some channel molding that snaps in place and fits perfectly.

20190520_081041 (resized).jpg
#288 5 months ago

Duplicate

#297 5 months ago

Just a heads up. When you don't plunge the ball hard enough to get it to the upper playfield, it comes back, drops off the ramp and hits the playfield just below the entrance to the right orbit. There probably should be mylar there from the factory but there isn't. I went ahead and installed a square of mylar there just to keep from getting too worn over time.

#305 5 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Full set protectors:
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/Vht9yuFZo06d7XYKcRU2Sg
While they are spendy, I might hold out for a colored set. They look really good on my IMDN.

No premium/LE set. I much prefer clear over colors.

#331 5 months ago
Quoted from LowScores:

Any adjustments people are making on their games?
My LE was pretty much plug and play but it seems like the music is down from when I was at MGC (makes sense). I'm also having a heck of a time with the metal ramp shots making it up top. I know all the inner shots are pretty tight on this but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do. I'd say only 1 in 4 'solid' shot make it up top.

Yeah my LE was total plug and play too. Not the slightest problem out of the box. Any shot with decent speed makes it to the upper playfield from the flail lane ramp, so there must be something out of whack on yours?

The only changes I've made was to install protectors on the shooter lane, under the front of the apron and on the sling and flipper lane plastics. I would really like a full set of CLEAR plastic protectors because there are a lot of plastics on this game that I suspect will not last long otherwise. I would also like some cool speaker lights with cutouts and possibly a Cliffy protector for the shield lock. Today I'm installing the real knocker and the quiet fan mod. Also, will be connecting the game to a Polk subwoofer today!

#338 5 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What's your raw material & source? Looks great. Did you have to flame polish the edges or anything or does it cut clean?

Lowes and Home Depot sell small sheets of Lexan or Polycarbonate. Do not use acrylic. A scroll saw does a nice job, drill press for the holes and then a progression of sandpaper grades to smooth the edges.

#351 5 months ago

Still no plastic protectors for Premium/LE??? I know they will be released as soon as I make my own...

#360 5 months ago

That is a pretty sizeable update for only going from .93 to .94! Hopefully a few more like that before we hit 1.0 and beyond! Downloading now...

#375 5 months ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Anyone have trouble downloading the new code I keep hitting the download but It keeps sending me to the read me file.

You clicking the correct link?

#383 5 months ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I don’t understand why it wasn’t there from the factory? Chances of me getting that on bubble free since being riddled w/ divots is about 0% I’d say.

Bubbles have a lot more to do with technique than dimples. Sure doing it before the dimples would be preferable, but doing a piece of mylar that size is not easy even on a perfectly smooth playfield. If you do it right, roll it down slowly and keep the bubbles out as you go, it will be fine. I've laid mylar on old Williams games that were as dimpled as can possibly be and had no bubbles...

#392 5 months ago

Has anyone installed the Pinball Life knocker yet? I just installed mine and it doesn't work. I've installed many knockers over the years on SAM and SPIKE and this is the first one that has not worked. I double checked all of the wiring, fuse and the menu settings. One thing that I notice is the power cord to the node board on the BKSOR LE has an extra capacitor in line that is not there on my SW Premium.

Added 158 days ago:

Edit. Turns out my knocker board had a bad solder joint. Quick dab of solder and its working great now.

#416 5 months ago

I love the upper playfield. It adds a lot to the game. As others have mentioned, you can get a six ball multiball by building the catapult and knight mb at the same time. Trying to loop and then lock is tough as hell. No way is the upper playfield easy. Nice to have a Stern that is not 2-flippers. And yes, I don't care what anyone says, Black Knight is not Black Knight without the upper playfield.

#452 5 months ago

I ordered the plunger today. It looks really nice, plus it has a nice shape that should feel and function like a regular plunger. Something about having an odd shape like a stormtrooper just takes away from the feel of making a skill shot plunge.

#457 5 months ago
Quoted from Ben1981:

the music is stuck in my head, it's so awesome, fits the theme perfectly and is just badass!

So true

#463 5 months ago
Quoted from TREX:

Plunger is pressed in.

He is talking about the whole rod including the new skull head. Normally you take off the rubber tip, remove the clip and spring, slide the plunger rod out and then install the new one in the opposite order. Why sell the entire thing including the housing????

#467 5 months ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

How did you get the screw loose? I am having a heck of a time on mine want to do the 90 degree as well.

Do you guys have the factory shaker? Mine seems fine...

The screw probably has locktite on it so will be a bear to loosen.

#482 5 months ago

Just wanted to post an update. The Pinball Life knocker works great in this game. Mine initially a bad solder joint on the board. It's fixed now and loud at hell. I have it striking the back of the lower cabinet instead of the cross member.

#519 5 months ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

Am I missing it, or are there not plastic protector sets out for the LE?

None that I've seen. I'd imagine LSOG will have some soon. Also, the playfield protector people make full sets and they are just getting back from vacation.

#522 5 months ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

I'm just looking for the plastic protectors, but thank you for letting me know.

Sorry I implied playfield protectors but meant plastic protectors. They have a huge set for Pro and I would expect a set for the premiums/LE. There are a ton of tiny plastics on this game that I worry about!

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/23/Plastics-Protectors

#551 4 months ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Can you add an external sub to these game just by alligator clipping onto the existing sub posts?
Just put the game in the basement yesterday and this is the first thing I'm thinking about.

I've got a Polk sub on mine. Sounds great!

Installed apron cards yesterday!

20190615_205632 (resized).jpg
#562 4 months ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Where did you feed the speaker wire out of the cabinet? The sub hole?

Out the holes in the back of the cabinet on the bottom. You have to carefully lift up the screen and slip the wire out.

#578 4 months ago

For those who are getting in Premiums, I will report the one thing that was wrong on my LE when I pulled it out of the box a few weeks ago. Having never played the game or watched videos online it took me at least 20 games to realize that I hadn't started any modes and the flail didn't spin very much. It didn't take long to find both problems were because the exit switch actuator from the center ramp was stuck upward. It was hidden behind the catapult so I didn't notice it! Two seconds to fix and the game suddenly got 100x more fun!

#594 4 months ago

The one thing I would really like to see changed in future software is the Black Knight (SR) voice call-outs. The bass is way saturated or something and it makes at least half of the callouts sound muddy or garbled. I wish they could remix or re-record them to get the voice more clear to understand and make it sound a little more like the original game from 1980.

#622 4 months ago
Quoted from newtoit:

So when is tim sexton, steve ritchie, or deadflip going to inform us where we can get the 2 plastic protectors and "playfield enhancement?" As shown in the livestream.

I thought I heard on the video it would take a couple weeks and then buyers would get an email and instructions for getting one.

#647 4 months ago

Got the Last Chance and Super Catapult MB tonight. Very cool. Obviously it didn't start out a good game but it ended up being a lot of fun. Very cool and innovative feature in the software.

#651 4 months ago

Tonight I found a gray shooter spring in my spare parts pile and put it on my Stern skull shooter mod in BKSOR. This spring is just right for the job! Gray is two steps stronger than the orange spring that came with the mod. The extra power in this spring easily makes the upper playfield without being overly powerful. So anyone buying a stronger spring for the replacement shooter, I would go with gray/silver.

Spring tension from lowest to highest:
Blue (266-5001-05)
Green (266-5001-04)
Standard (10-148-1)
Orange (266-5001-07)
Purple (266-5001)
Gray/Silver (266-5001-14)
Red (10-148-2)

1 week later
#714 4 months ago
Quoted from November:

White LED are way too cold for this game with red/orange nuances. Maybe Warm white will fit better...still prefer the red ones

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say it: those cool white bulbs look terrible. I love the stock colors not sure why change? To each their own I guess.

I'm expecting my full set of plastic protectors to come in soon. That will take care of those ugly metal washers.

#717 4 months ago

That's a big set of protectors. Will take a while to install all of them.

20190709_184055 (resized).jpg
#718 4 months ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I contacted Chas at Stern about the spring on the shooter rod I purchased. They are sending me a replacement silver spring.

I have the silver. It's perfect without being too strong. The orange was too weak for that heavy shooter.

#720 4 months ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

Hey John_I- who has the plastic protectors?

I ordered them from Germany. They only have the Pro on the website and the Premium/LE coming soon. I emailed them and badgered them into sending me a set early for my LE.

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/23/Plastics-Protectors

#728 4 months ago

Interesting. This would be a much simpler way of distributing it than trying to go through Stern or your distributor.

2 weeks later
#923 3 months ago

Wow. I really like the new code. The game is much more balanced now and the upper playfield is blocked by the flail and the drop target more than before. Seems like a little more on the light and sound end of things too. Hopefully a couple more polish releases, but this game is pretty complete at this point.

I did have a minor bug tonight. The game awarded me an extra ball and followed that by saying extra ball is lit. I must have hit the extra ball the first instant that it was available and the effects go reversed!

#962 3 months ago

How do we buy that sound track?

#966 3 months ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Wow ... well someone was nice enough to pick one up for me I won’t be selling mine !!!

LEs should have come with one. Just sayin'.

#999 3 months ago

Got the new Speakerlightkits.com LE kit with mirrored acrylic inserts. Easy installation and they look fantastic. Here is a quick video on the out of box setting:

#1009 3 months ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

there is no reason for me to buy it other than just to have it.

That is what I keep telling myself when I look on eBay. Not to mention that I don't own a turntable, nor would I want to open the package if I bought it.

#1011 3 months ago
Quoted from LowScores:

My upper flipper still drags back to its starting position.
I can't tell if my issue is with the coil at all. Everything seems tight. Are there any known issues or adjustments with the shaft and component stack up through to the upper play field? It feels like the resistance is in the rotation on that axis and not the coil/sleeve setup.

Can you pull the flipper straight up away from the playfield even the slightest bit? There is supposed to be a millimeter of play or so.

#1020 3 months ago

I got my upper playfield enhancement kit yesterday from Pinball Life and it has the original plastic in it without the additional hole for the new post. Oh well. Email sent to Pinball Life to see what the story is.

#1023 3 months ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Here's a picture of mine. I just drilled a new hole in the old one. I'm just going to keep the new one as a spare, I measured it and it's 7/16 of an inch over and 1/8 of an inch up on that left corner. Drill bit size is 5/32".
[quoted image]

Thanks. I sized your picture the same as the plastic and held my plastic up to the screen so I could mark the spot for the hole. Worked great.

#1037 3 months ago
Quoted from djgoaway:

Why did they cut a hole and insert a plastic insert piece underneath the upper playfield flipper? Not sure how this passed quality control. The ball gets stuck frequently.[quoted image]

This has been discussed many times. This allows the upper playfield to be removed without removing the flipper. Some games are missing a washer or something under the plate. Easy fix. Search this thread.

#1048 3 months ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I am hoping to have 5.25" speaker plates (as well as various colored speaker surrounds) available in the future to make the 4" to 5.25" speaker upgrade a more affordable option. The target goal is to make it so a person can do the speaker WITH speaker light upgrade for a comparable price to what the speaker upgrade alone is currently.
Also... I already have 2 different style of Speaker Light Kits that are designed for BK:SoR Pro on my website now. I should have the BK:SoR acrylic design from the video listed on my website next week sometime.
http://www.speakerlightkits.com/SPIKE-2-Standard-or-Deluxe.html
Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Had a party last weekend and got nothing but positive comments on the LE speaker lighting kit. They look awesome!!!

#1075 88 days ago
Quoted from Jared:

BKSOR LE #425 Has landed in Rockwall Texas! Super Proud of Steve and Tim on this one!!! Awesome!!!!! Also thanks to dugfreez for the RAD light rings!!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

LOL, we're those speaker lights installed before the first game played?

#1081 87 days ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

No offense, but do you think guests at your party are going to tell you they suck or don't like them though? . And I'm not saying I don't like them, just that guest opinions are usually skewed on things out of courtesy.

That skews both ways. I have a couple of friends who basically don't like any mod and will certainly speak up at every opportunity.

In this case even the most hardened anti mod, anti clown puke, anti LED curmudgeon will most likely have to admit that this mod looks cool.

#1085 87 days ago

Sure would be nice if someone made stickers to replace the seizure warning with some cool artwork. I managed to get a full decal set for Metallica and it included a few apron decals with artwork instead of the warning.

1 week later
#1103 80 days ago

Has anyone actually confirmed a "black nub of death" on a BKSOR instead of blue? Are they available for purchase anywhere?

#1123 77 days ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Found this on YouTube. (Video of upper playfield removal)

Might interest some.

I put a pad on the game to the left of BK and put the upper playfield there while working underneath.

#1140 71 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:*** Check your play fields ***
Folks, couple of guys have posted on the mega chipping thread that they have BK:SOR with chipping. Can I ask you to all check and if you have chipping to report it to your dealer...
thanks,
Neil.

Yes, everyone check your BKSORs carefully.

No chipping here, but my BKSOR LE has some of the pooling of clear around the posts. Shows up as a ripple around the posts. Not bad compared to the Wonka and JJPPOTC games as I've seen and it is only on a handful of post and not on others. I have contacted my distributor and sent a bunch of detailed pictures. Basically the clear has not fully cured. It is soft. I went ahead and put clear washers underneath the two worst of the posts. To me this is not bad enough to warrant a whole new populated playfield, but I would like to at least get a spare playfield out of this at some point.

20190826_181344 (resized).jpg20190826_182005 (resized).jpg
#1149 69 days ago

Anyone get a coin door lockout harness and switch yet from Stern? What is the approved route for that - if any?

2 weeks later
#1215 53 days ago

Any word on the topper yet?

#1224 52 days ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Topper screenshot[quoted image]

I assume it will be a little more finished when it is released...

1 month later
#1516 3 days ago
Quoted from Finrod:

I'm at the Grand Ole Gameroom Expo in Nashville and they have a LE here, and on it the upper flipper flips first followed by the main flipper,

That is wrong. Should be the other way around.

From what I understand the pros are exploiting the game in tournaments by trapping balls on the lower flippers and using the upper flipper for endless loops during multiball. Swapping the flipper wires to make the upper flipper go first would put an end to that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside