IMG_1923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1925 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1788 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1776 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1765 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Black Knight Feature matrix. Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #27 Rules card. Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #539 remove upper Playfield Posted by Captainhook (4 years ago)

Post #4057 Link to Upper Playfield removal video. Posted by PeterG (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Mezelmods picking the pro up this morning. I will be playing this afternoon after Kristin and Jared set it up. I don’t miss putting the games together anymore.

Congrats...I am jealous! Been trying to talk myself into selling/trading something from my collection, but I'm pretty attached to all of them at the moment. He will pillage his way into my basement at some point though!

Can't wait to see what kind of goodies you guys come up with to dress him up a bit!

2 weeks later
#196 4 years ago
Quoted from Nazz26:

New to Pinside only my 2nd post. Just purchased and set up my 2nd NIB pin. Awesome game. This can get addicting..
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What a great pair...congrats! Exactly the two pins I hope are next in my collection. Enjoy, and welcome to the madness!

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Congrats, What are the red spacers on the legs?

Those are old style leg protectors which aren't needed on modern Sterns. Stern started including the new style awhile back which hold the legs off of the cabinet itself, plus the decals are now cut to not go under the legs. I wouldn't use these as I'm pretty sure they could actually increase the chance of decal damage due to being larger than the legs themselves and potentially rubbing on the decals.

#217 4 years ago
Quoted from mthirkell:

I considered not putting them on, but I do like the looks of
them. I may take them off. Now where is the friggin on switch??

I wouldn't take the risk, but that's just me. Flashbacks of pretty much every Transformers ever are flashing through my head.

LOL on the switch...I think you need to clap twice.

Congrats on the new game...I'm jealous! Have fun!

2 months later
#760 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I wish they would give us peasant pro owners a code update.

Yeah...I'm not sure I understand why the pro still hasn't been updated, weeks later. I do not think we have ever had a substantial update for one and not the other at nearly the same time. I do not see any reason why the new features added to the prem/LEs couldn't be added to the pro. Heck, with a little creativity they could even add catapult multiball and have it make sense, though I know that's just a pipe dream. I really hope we do not see Stern go down the road of having multiple major code features missing from pros. While I do not love the idea, I at least understand things like Tron's DP multiball, GoT's Castle multiball, and Catapult multiball in this case. But if things like the BK2K mode isn't added at least, that's pure BS. Fingers crossed Tim will take good care of the pro guys too!

#796 4 years ago

Joined the club this past weekend. Love this game! Just put in the Stern art blades tonight and I think they look awesome and really help fill in the vertical space on the pro. Love them!

10A0DB16-A701-4495-B3EA-4767A6BBAAC1 (resized).jpeg10A0DB16-A701-4495-B3EA-4767A6BBAAC1 (resized).jpeg197D6BC6-DE19-493B-9592-8EABC705AC6D (resized).jpeg197D6BC6-DE19-493B-9592-8EABC705AC6D (resized).jpeg29E62BF6-C7F0-4F81-91E0-1B8B1BA59057 (resized).jpeg29E62BF6-C7F0-4F81-91E0-1B8B1BA59057 (resized).jpeg95F83473-7772-4CFF-A5DE-DB6712B56535 (resized).jpeg95F83473-7772-4CFF-A5DE-DB6712B56535 (resized).jpegE2244EF5-7944-491C-AA83-11365E71CAC5 (resized).jpegE2244EF5-7944-491C-AA83-11365E71CAC5 (resized).jpeg
#798 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Where did you get those?

Stern

#839 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

New code for the Pro made this game even better!

It's great! The new callouts with BK trying to talk you out of fighting when you are qualifying the modes are freaking hilarious! "Can't we talk about this?" "Let's lay our weapons down and have a discussion". LMAO!

Got to the Black Castle and fought BK for the first time. Did the modes get a bit easier with the update? I hadn't even gotten close before. What a great mode. Loved that Intro! That is how you make a mode feel special! Unfortunately I didn't defeat him, so no Rage for me, but can't wait to see it. Wasn't close to Ransom though...probably going to take me awhile to see that one.

Awesome game all around. Both Steve and Tim (and the rest of the team!) really knocked it out of the park in my opinion. The combo from the ramp into the shield lock with an on the fly backhand is one of the most satisfying shots ever. Every bit as good as the warp ramp, Picard maneuver, etc. Lich Lord start animation is my favorite animation ever, and the entire game is just amazing from an A/V standpoint. Just beautiful work! I am so in love with this game..

#850 4 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

Having problems with installing the new code V1.0 on my BK LE. Never had a problem before and I have installed new codes in many pins. In this case, the pin just does not recognize that there is a code in the USB. Updating to .97 was easy. I've read that others have had a problem as well. I may just wait to see if someone resolves the mystery or Stern "fixes" whatever the problem is. I've tried reloading the code, unzipping the file (no good it has a .000 file extension when you unzip it) and nothing happens ...

Sorry you are having trouble. My pro updated with no problem. You mention unzipping though...these newer games do not require unzipping. Just download and go. I even download direct to my USB drive now to save the step of moving the large file once it's done.

#930 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

To paraphrase the Joker “What happened? Did his balls drop off?”
Sorry, but these call outs completely ruin the image of the Black Knight for me. When I want humor with my knights and castles, I’ll play Medieval Madness.
So perhaps another adjustment can be created in the next code release. Call it Black Knight Persona. Options are Evil Badass or Bully Wuss.

I knew there would be at least a few people in this camp. I would agree if he were being a wuss right from the start, but it's cleverly programmed so he only loses confidence as the player gets closer to his castle. He is as cocky and evil as ever in the beginning, only wavering once he sees your power. I think it helps tell a cool narrative.

#937 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

To reiterate an apropos comparison: If Darth Vader started getting scared of Luke leading up to his final lightsaber battle with Luke in Return of the Jedi in this same way, you'd have walked out of the theatre.
I don't recall a big evil boss getting scared of any protagonist in any movie, video game or real-life story. To me the narrative is conflicted: on the one hand, you're building up towards that final battle with the big evil boss, but on the other hand the big evil boss is getting scared of you - and is blatantly telling you that he's getting scared of you. Totally deflates the importance of the final battle. That's why I named this persona the Bully Wuss persona. A bully really IS a wuss right from the start; the wuss just doesn't emerge until the bully is called on it/challenged. Then they quickly (to borrow the callout) run home to mommy.
If his balls suddenly grew back when final battle begins, that's inconsistent too. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy the explanation that the Black Knight is just pretending to wimp out either.
That said, I again have no issue with having the humor as an option now that it has been introduced. My beef is it was introduced WELL AFTER they sold hundreds and hundreds of the games based solely on the Evil Badass persona in both the game itself and the marketing of the game. But now those of us who want to maintain that Evil Badass persona are stuck with a Bully Wuss. And that really sucks.
I've said many times in other postings that my BKSOR isn't going anywhere. Now, I'm not only considering dumping it, but replacing it with a JJP game. The next update of BKSOR code will make the decision for me when I see if I've got a choice or if I'm going to be stuck with a Bully Wuss.

You don't like it. I understand your reasoning. I happen to like it, but I enjoy a bit of humor in my games. I am sorry you feel so strongly about it that it's ruining the experience for you though. I personally can't see something like that driving me to dump a game I otherwise enjoy (much less driving you to purchase JJP instead). Have you thought about using Pinball Browser to replace the callouts you dislike? You could simply reuse a few of your favorite taunts. Even though you'd be reusing, I am guessing it wouldn't be any more redundant than the earlier code was (before the wussy callouts existed). Just a thought. Hate you see you sour on such an awesome game over it!

#942 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

It's not the game play/layout/features that I'm souring on. Those are actually what's making me hang on until the next code release. It's just hard for me to have a humorous version of the Black Knight sitting next to the first two Black Knights and a Medieval Madness (which already covers the knights-and-castles humor thing for me.)
The hardest aspect, however, is still that I bought the game in significant part because of the Evil Badass persona it was marketed with - perpetuating and intensifying the evil persona of the Black Knight that I grew up with. When Williams shut its pinball doors, I never thought there'd ever be a third Black Knight game, let alone by the legendary designer of the first two. But the miracle of miracles was formally made real back on March 26th. Instant pre-order.
I enjoy humor in my games too. But not at the expense of character. For an equally disconcerting (and hopefully hypothetical) example, imagine if the next code release for Deadpool suddenly REMOVED all the humor and cast him as a totally serious character. I'd be pretty danged perturbed about that too.
I'd also welcome an adult persona. But since the humor was sprung on us well after the game was being marketed and sold, the best way to keep everyone happy is to offer an adjustment to change the persona of the Black Knight to fit a given mood and/or location. Make the option choices HUMOROUS, REGULAR EVIL, and SAMUEL L. JACKSON.

I hope you get your wish and they add a setting. I totally get where you are coming from. Options are good, and it doesn't seem like too big of a setting request (then again I am certainly not a programmer, so no clue really). And for real LOL at Samuel L Jackson setting.

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I was going to buy bksor. I need to watch on YouTube the new code callouts. I liked the evil taunts...they got rid of that?

No, they didn't get rid of the evil taunts. They just added some humorous "maybe we should talk about this" second-thoughts-about-fighting-us comments during the later battle qualification. Basically the better the player is doing against his minions, the more BK starts worrying about getting his butt kicked. Some like it, some do not.

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I'm guessing I missed similar discussions before, but now that 1.0 code is out, what is the opinion from owners on the longevity of the Pro model in a small lineup now? Does this game have the depth to keep you interested and coming back for more longterm? Are the modes varied enough to be fun the 50th time you play each? I enjoyed playing this at SFGE, right up there with DP overall. Just weighing a few options for the next pin...

I fully acknowledge that I am still in the honeymood stage with my pro, but at this point I honestly can't see it leaving my collection. It has so much personality and an addictive nature. It is brutal, but not unfair. Adrenaline rush from start to finish. I find the code to be great. It isn't the deepest code in the world, but it is well matched with the brutality of the playfield, if that makes sense. If it was much deeper, only the elite players would ever see the end. The battles are each unique with a feel and personality of their own. I love the "supers" system, with its risk/reward strategy and accidental cash-ins. The sword / power is a much more interesting take on the Star Trek Away Team / GOTG Upgrade idea. The risk/reward of having supers and power start from the crazy dangerous Black Knight shot is genius. Knight retro mode is amazing as a fan of the first game. It is very obtainable during a decent game and is a really nice mid-point mini-wizard to break up the battles. The Black Castle is the perfect difficulty in my opinion. It takes a great game, but it's doable. I've only gotten there once so far, and I didn't beat BK, so I have yet to see Rage. I also haven't seen Ransom yet, so that is another challenging yet obtainable reward waiting for me. This game definitely can't be breezed through (at least for me), but I do not think anything is too difficult or impossible for mortals to reach. Great balance.

I will admit, I do wish there was one more stackable multiball available in the pro. Catapult could have been implemented and tied to the left VUK, but I get that it was kept as something special for the prem/LE. That said, it doesn't really feel like anything is missing, it just would have been nice to have.

As for the layout, yes, it is a simple layout, but every single shot is so satisfying. I have only played a handful of games on the premium, but the upper playfield just didn't grab me. Then again I am (oddly) not a big fan of BK2K, especially the upper playfield, so I guess that's not a surprise. The catapult is a very cool mech and difficult yet satisfying to hit, but I found it to distracted me from the rest of the game too much. If all you are doing is concentrating on the upper playfield and getting catapult going, it is going to get repetitive fast. It also killed the flow of the ramp. The pro ramp is simple and shallow, but man it feels so good to hit. And comboing the ramp into the shield lock from an on the fly backhand has quickly become one of my favorite combos ever. It just feels so good...even better somehow than an upper flipper ramp Picard maneuver type shot. I feel sorry for the prem/LE guys losing that combo. Sure, you can do it when you drain from the upper, or by letting it just pass through, but it will never be the same as off of a silky smooth ramp. Nearly every shot is backhand-able which is always fun. The light lock target can even be backhanded, which is a cool shot. Yes...this game even manages to make stand-up targets feel good, LOL! It would be nice if Magnasave was a little stronger or better positioned to be as effective as the older machines were. My old BK could suck a ball half way out of the outlane. This one is more of a preventative measure than a real save. I probably use it on a fair number of balls that wouldn't have needed it, but better safe than sorry. As long as it's above the post it will usually catch (unless very fast moving), but once it's a hair down the outlane, forget it. Still, I love it, have gotten used to how to use it, and am very glad it's here. And I personally love it being on the lockdown bar. Nothing more satisfying than smacking it and watching the ball snap onto the save with that awesome sound and shaker effect firing. Good stuff.

As for the Black Knight himself...what a great "toy". Tying three different shots into one highly themed and great looking toy was just genius. The flail is wicked cool and used in great ways. The body target is such a sucker shot, but so valuable when supers or power is lit. The shield lock is awesome. I love that the shield not only blocks the lock lane, but can smack the ball back at you like the old Gottlieb kicking targets. Top it off with the bling of the face LEDs changing color based on what he's saying to you! So fun, so well theme integrated, and great looking to boot.

All of the art assets are second to none in my opinion. Just a beautiful machine all around. The animations are killer. Lich Lords mode start is my favorite animation of all time...just so intense. Every mode start feels special and like the start of an epic battle. It just pulls you in like few games do. I just can't say enough good things about the animations. Kudos to the team behind them...they killed it! I would like to see a little tweaking done to when WAR hurry-ups start, are going, and are finished. When in the middle of a battle, half the time I do not know WAR is happening (other than the insert lights, which are very well done). I'd like a little more fanfare to call more attention to it, but that's a nitpick. Maybe just a "THIS IS WAR" callout at the start? The lightshow overall is amazing. Sound, speech, and the killer music are all awesome. My only gripe is I never EVER, EVER want to hear the Black Knight call me "brah". I appreciate the humor added, including the "waivering confidence" stuff as you get closer to him, but BK should never say that word, LOL. (Yes I know...i'm too old...get off my lawn. ). I might even change that one using Pinball Browser as it's the only one that actually makes me cringe, and not in a good way. Other than that...everything is spot on. I do get some distortion from the speakers at a fairly low volume, so I think some audio levels could probably be tweaked, but that's minor and there are some adjustments in the settings that could probably help. Also, the shaker motor integration is great...one of the best I've played.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a full review (actually I may copy paste it into the review section). I just am really in love with this game and can't say enough good about it. I feel sorry for those that have dismissed it as being stripped down or too simple. Steve Ritchie once again proves that a great game doesn't have to be too complex. This is a pure battle pin...fast, flowy, and brutal, with a fun and fitting ruleset, wrapped in amazing art and A/V assets.

As for the comparison with DP...that's a tough one. I actually sold my DP pro to fund my BK, however I only let it go because I intend to upgrade to a DP premium at some point down the road. I would say they are very close to equals in my mind. DP is a bit more lighthearted fun, BK is a little more intense and adrenaline pumping. BK shoots better, but DP has more interesting, though sometimes clunky, shots. DP is probably a bit deeper, which is appropriate as it plays longer. DP is a bit more unique in both layout and code, but that isn't a knock on BK by any means. If forced to choose, at this point I would say BK as I love the intensity and adrenaline, but DP is right there with it. Once I manage to bring a DP premium home, they will both be long term keepers for me, so you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck with the choice!

2 weeks later
#1072 4 years ago

Made it to the Black Castle for the third time last night. Such a rush, and I love the intro animation. Every other game should take note on how to make a wizard mode feel special! But...I again failed to slay the Knight, so still no Rage for me. Anyone know how many hits it takes? I didn't get too many in this time, but last time I got there it seemed like I was battling him forever with no end in sight. Is there a stamina meter or anything I should be watching? I didn't notice one, but also couldn't really look up much.

Damn I love this game!

3 weeks later
#1168 4 years ago

Finally knocked that rotten Knight on his butt and got to RAGE! Awesome mode. The opening animation again proved that BK is second to none in the animation department. So freaking cool!

Still no Ransom for me. Ended up one letter away. Someday. How are you guys getting there? Alot of WAR hurry-ups? I generally do not concentrate on those but try to complete them when I see the shots flashing. I generally do not get more than one or maybe two per game, so it takes getting to the Black Castle and then a couple more modes after to get there. Is WAR the better way of getting there instead?

3 weeks later
#1298 4 years ago

I would love to see a second monster for each realm. I am guessing (and just a guess) that was planned, at least in the beginning. Otherwise it doesn't make sense that they labeled the inserts with the realm name instead of the monsters name. That said, I realize that is a huge undertaking and am not holding my breath. Sure would be cool though since the character designs in this game are freaking awesome...I'd love to see more.

I'd also like to see RANSOM be a little more obtainable. I have gotten all the way to Rage multiball by defeating BK, yet was still less than half way to a second KNIGHT spell out. That doesn't seem right. Retro is just right...can see it almost every game. Black Castle is also just right. The Knight is hard to defeat...but that's not a bad thing. I would like to see a health bar added for him so you have some idea of progress. If there is an indication now, I missed it in the heat of the battle.

I would also love to see one more multiball mode to help make up for the pro losing catapult. I still think catapult could be added by simply assigning a light lock/lock function to a different shot (I would use the left orbit-VUK since it's kind of catapult-ish, and then you have to think about the timing strategy because of supers). But if not, some sort of quick two ball mode would be cool. Maybe make one of the battles a multiball (like Quills Quest)...maybe Hydra since it has multiple heads and each need to be hit twice, so it would make thematic sense?

These things would be great icing on the cake...but I'm very happy with the game as it is. The extra ball lit/collected animation order is all that really needs fixing, and a "coward level" setting for those that do not like BK getting nervous would be nice. Oh and tweaking the magnasave strength if possible. I have gotten pretty used to anticipating when to use it, but it's still way weaker and less reliable than the old games. I'm hoping Tim still has a couple surprises up his sleeve for us though!

#1339 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Anyone really make it to King’s Ransom? I’ve had several really solid games but never get past the K of the second round of KNIGHT. A) by that point you’ve probably had one or two Triple Knights, meaning you have to hit the light lock multiple times to open each shield. B) the second time around you don’t get any spotted letters, so it’s that much harder to complete KNIGHT.
Also, unless I’m missing various other ways you can get numerous letters, realistically, to get 10 letters (4 on the first time and 6 on the second since they aren’t spotted), you’re also going to get to Black Castle.

Been to Black Castle multiple times. Defeated the Knight once. Best I have ever gotten was to the G the second time. I really think this needs to be dialed back a bit in the next update. It shouldn't be significantly harder to get to Ransom than to Rage.

#1341 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Yeah, not sure what could be done but something would be nice. Your experience puts it into perspective.
Hmm, wonder which of my Wizard Modes I’ll never see more, AC⚡️DC or BKSOR!? Lol

There could easily be more thresholds for collecting letters:
-Half way through monster
-Defeat monster
-At least one hit during WAR hurry-up
-Complete WAR hurry-up
-Successful MagnaSave use?
-Super skillshot
-Cash in a certain size (1m+?) Super Modes Jackpot
-X number of U-turns
-X number of jackpots or super jackpot in Triple Knight Challenge and Catapult

(I know some of these are already how you earn them, just putting together a potential full list)

I like that idea better than just spotting more letters. Of course you don't want to be handing out RANSOMs like candy, so likely can't do all of these, but adding a couple more letter earning opportunities could go a long way to making it more obtainable. RETRO seems just right...I wouldn't want that to be easier. So if this was done I would eliminate the initially spotted letters. Or...maybe some of these could only go into affect after RETRO? Lots of possible solutions.

2 weeks later
#1458 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

This would be a one trick pony game without the upper pf.

To me, it's more of a one trick pony WITH the upper PF. Why would you ever bother with the lower pf shots when you can progress battles with one target in the upper (thereby sucking all uniqueness out of the battles), and start multiball up there? The upper completely takes over the game, and just isn't much fun to shoot in my opinion. Plus you lose one of the best combo shots in pinball...the ramp to shield lock backhand. Sooooo good.

Great game either way, but I'm glad we have options!

3 weeks later
#1579 4 years ago

One of the best integrated shakers I can think of. Highly recommended!

#1593 4 years ago

This type of mylar will come off super easily if needed down the road. Where mylar can become an issue is old games where they were put down with heavy adhesive on a non-clearcoated playfield, then baked by the incandescent insert bulbs for a couple decades. A small self adhesive piece like this one on a modern clearcoated playfield with only LEDs under it will peel off later with minimal effort. If you put down a layer of wax first, even easier.

That said, I am not sure I see the benefit of putting this one on in a typical HUO environment. Just keep it clean and waxed. But there will be absolutely no harm in putting it on if it makes you more comfortable.

#1623 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What’s been the consensus on pro vs prem on this title?
*runs to the hills - loaded question*

Oh such a very loaded of a question...LOL! There are many who would argue that the game simply isn't BK if it doesn't have an upper playfield. I do not buy into that, as to me it's more about the battle, personality, and themed world it creates. I personally like the pro better, but I will admit I wish we had catapult multiball, or at least one more "side mission" type goal.

Here is a copy / paste of my defense of the pro when it was accused of being a one trick pony without the upper playfield:
"To me, it's more of a one trick pony WITH the upper PF. Why would you ever bother with the lower pf shots when you can progress battles with one target in the upper (thereby sucking all uniqueness out of the battles), and start multiball up there? The upper completely takes over the game, and just isn't much fun to shoot in my opinion. Plus you lose one of the best combo shots in pinball...the ramp to shield lock backhand. Sooooo good."

That's just my two cents though. I totally understand and respect that some like the prem/LE better. It's nice to have choices, and it's a great game either way. I think it's a lot like GoT, where they really feel like two different games. Some will prefer one over the other, but they are both awesome. I'm happy with my pro, but if only the prem/LE existed, I would be happy with that too (again, just like GoT)!

#1637 4 years ago

My fingers are crossed for a code drop that will rival the JP code update. Not holding my breath, but hoping! LOL

While I would love more features, modes, etc...I am really just expecting some tweaks and polish. But I will keep hoping Tim has some crazy surprises for us!

#1653 4 years ago

Really hope the soundtrack isn't the only thing. Feeling kind of trolled right now. :/

2 weeks later
#1821 4 years ago

The button position isn't the problem with the magna-save. It's the power and/or position of the magnet. I am hopeful they can make it a little more effective with a software update, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 weeks later
#1974 4 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Right there with you. I've reached the BK2K wizard mode several times, but I've only made it to the Black Castle twice, and the first time I drained almost immediately. I've driven up replay to 237M and my GC is in the 700M range, but there are still three of the champions that are still the stock scores: the two involved with the Black Castle, and the War Hurry-up (I'm terrible at that mode, sometimes I consider trapping the ball and letting the mode expire since it often induces drains).

How are you getting to RANSOM more than Black Castle? I have been to the castle multiple times, including beating him once, and the closest I have ever been to RANSOM is to the G the second time (and usually more like the N). Since you only get one letter per monster, are you doing a ton of War hurry-ups to do it? Like you say, I am also terrible at WAR, often leading to drains, so that really limits my KNIGHT letters. Am I correct that the only way of getting letters is one per monster and one for finishing each WAR hurry-up?

#1980 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Glad I’m clearly not the only one who feels like WAR is a trap and instant death lol.
Anyway, hard to believe the default settings on the new code will make it even tougher to beat monsters. I think most will be changing the setting to Easy, to keep it the same as things are today.

Of all the things this machine could benefit from, tougher monsters wasn't one of them...no idea who thinks the game needs to be harder.

Nice scoring tweaks though. So there's that at least.

What we really need is more ways to earn KNIGHT letters. And at least one more multiball or interesting side goal would be good. Especially for the pro. Just port catapult lock to a different shot even!

#1982 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

It needs more modes and more monsters IMO. Even if they just add more monster colors with different shots to hit it would be great. Something about the game is just repetitive. I love the light show, the personality, and the music, but the depth and variety is lacking.

I can't disagree there. I love the game, but it just needs more to do rather than making what is already there even more difficult. I'm all for having a very tough to achieve wizard mode, but with how difficult Black Castle, RAGE, and RANSOM are, that just doesn't leave much else to do for the average or even above average player. It really needs another layer.

#1985 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Just thinking out loud. Maybe one idea for another small multiball would be a 2-ball for filling the rage sword and then hitting the Power center target during a monster mode?

Now that would be awesome! Never thought of it, but yes! That would add some nice strategy, risk/reward, and more strong reason to shoot the right side of the playfield.

3 weeks later
#2127 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Don’t give them any ideas. I don’t need to see the Black Knight doing Rick Ashley dance moves on the display. Although if they can license Never Gonna Give You Up, I wouldn’t mind having it as an adjustment setting that defaults to OFF just so I can mess with some of my frequent pin-guests.

Still better than him calling me "bruh". Wish that had a setting. Waiting for the code update and then I'll take care of that with Pinball Browser.

#2142 4 years ago

I'm all for options, so do not get me wrong, but there is a world of difference between Escape Nublar and Black Castle. EN very much feels like a minigame of its own. Hell...on it's own it is deeper than many games. You get three balls, work your way through the entire map, etc. It is very long, varied and satisfying as a game of its own. BC would not have nearly that effect. It is more of a traditional mode...really not that much different than any of the monster battles, with a cool multiball frenzy mode in RAGE if you beat it. Again...not saying options are a bad thing...but it's really not apples to apples here to throw the feature into BK.

#2163 4 years ago

PRO V1.01 - February 11, 2020
==========================
Fixed:
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented players from earning KNIGHT letters
from a mode that had been continued on a subsequent ball.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes kept foreground display effects on the screen
during KNIGHT multiballs.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented the war hurry up display effects
from playing over the main play display effects.
- Fixed an issue during modes where players could sometimes share mode shot
progress.
- Extra ball is lit display effect will no longer play if extra ball is not
lit.
- Fixed an issue that could sometimes cause the left ball save not to save a
ball when the player took a tilt warning.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the War Hurry up champion high score from
getting updated.
- Fixed an issue that caused the mystery awards to be shared among players in
a competition game. Each player's mystery awards are now tracked individually
in competition play.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Black Castle mode to remain lit if a player
tilted while playing Black Castle mode.

Tweaked:
- Deep Freeze mode shots will always start with the same shot array, even when
the mode continues from ball to ball.
- Reduced the intensity of GI effects during the mystery award light show.
- Shield Diverter Disabled adjustment will allow you to start all shield
features by bashing the shield.
- Removed critical lights from skill shot and war hurry ups light shows.
- Changed the TKC Multiball start video to play after the mode start video.
Lock videos still play before the mode start videos.
- Locked out the Horse Whinny sound for game start - no credits for 30 seconds
after it is played.
- Moved the War Hurry up priority above mode priority. This makes it easier to
see hurry up and score values for the war hurry up shots.
- Added flail movement logic to Retro Multiball.
- Added additional flail movement logic to Triple Knight's Challenge
Multiball.
- Removed shoot again light from the Magna-Save light show.
- Added a display effect to show how many left bank completions are required
to earn Ball Save.
- Lowered the default slingshot power to 16. Competition install will set
slingshot power to 24.
- Modified the Extra Ball display effect to show the score if the game is set to
award points instead of an extra ball.
- Changed KNIGHT feature start rules. KNIGHT modes can be started while modes
and WAR Hurry ups are running. Doing so will end all running modes. KNIGHT
modes cannot be started while any multiball or wizard mode is running.
- Made Sword of Rage easier to qualify.
- SWORD OF RAGE DIFFICULTY adjustment defaults to EASY
- Prior to starting 1st mode - Sword is 70% completed.
- After power is activated - Sword is 40% completed.
- Rest of game - Sword is 0% completed.
- Center target and right drop target bank add more progress to filling
sword meter.

- Sound balancing and additional audio enhancements.

- Various Scoring Tweaks

- Reset the value of upper playfield loops on every ball.

- Increased the value of Magna-Save bonus. Starts at 2.5m. Increases by 750k
for every successful Magna-Save.

- Removed all the existing score mystery awards (250k, 750k, 1.5m, 2.5m) and
replaced with high scoring awards (2m, 3m, 4m, 5m.)

- Increased mode scoring.
- All modes have a base value starting at 2m.
- Increased by +200k for each mode completed.
- Increased by +950k for each lap of modes completed.
- Draining while a mode is active will reset the mode scores to the base 2m.

- Increased the score bonuses for shooting the flail prior to starting a mode.
- Flail bonuses are reset when the mode starts and cannot be earned until
the next mode is qualified.
- Flail bonuses are reset when the ball drains.
- Shooting through the spinning flail awards +250k (increases
by 25k.)
- Shooting the flail when it's closed awards +200k.
- Shooting the flail when it's spinning awards +400k.
- Shooting the flail when it's open awards +250k (increases by 25k.)

- Increased the scoring in Hydra and Lich mode on mode shots that did not
progress toward completing the mode.

- Changed default mode difficulty to MEDIUM.
- Tweaked the number of mode shots required to complete modes.
- Molten Fire (Magma Beast)
- Easy: 6 shots to complete. 2 shots for KNIGHT letter.
- Medium: 8 shots to complete. 3 shots for KNIGHT letter.
- Hard: 10 shots to complete. 4 shots for KNIGHT letter.
- Wicked Cavern (Hell Hand)
- Mud Bod (Hydra)
- Easy: 3 heads sealed to complete. 1 sealed for KNIGHT letter.
- Medium: 4 heads sealed to complete. 2 sealed for KNIGHT letter.
- Hard: 5 heads sealed to complete. 3 sealed for KNIGHT letter.
- Deep Freeze (Lich Lords)
- Easy: 3 liches defeated to complete. 1 defeated for KNIGHT letter.
- Medium: 4 liches defeated to complete. 2 defeated for KNIGHT letter.
- Hard: 5 liches defeated to complete. 3 defeated for KNIGHT letter.
- Burning Sands (Sand Worm)

- Increased war hurry up scoring.
- Base Value for all hurry ups is 3m.
- Score for subsequent hurry ups is set to the value of the hurry up when
it was awarded or when it was terminated.
- The left pop bumper increases the value of the flail hurry up by
+225k+(5k*number of left pop bumper hits for this player this game)
- The bottom pop bumper increases the value of the target hurry up by
+175k+(5k*number of bottom pop bumper hits for this player this game)
- The right pop bumper increases the value of the target hurry up by
+195k+(5k*number of right pop bumper hits for this player this game)
- Increased max value of each hurry up to 25m.

- Modified the Super Feature rules and scoring
- Super Features now run with no timer.
- Super Features are started at level 1 (Green) by hitting the center
target.
- All running Super Features are boosted by 1 level when a player shoots
the Left VUK during single-ball play.
- The Super Jackpot value shown on the UI is now collected by having a ball
roll over the right return lane switch within 5 seconds of a player
activating their Magna-Save.
- The Castle Spinner (Pro Only) will score 5,000 points. Super Spins scoring
will not boost the value of this spinner.

- New Super Feature Scoring

- Super Lanes Level 1 (Green) -- 50,000
- Super Lanes Level 2 (Yellow) -- 75,000
- Super Lanes Level 3 (Red) -- 115,000
- Super Lanes Level 4 (Magenta) -- 140,000

- Super Orbits Level 1 (Green) -- 115,000
- Super Orbits Level 2 (Yellow) -- 185,000
- Super Orbits Level 3 (Red) -- 275,000
- Super Orbits Level 4 (Magenta) -- 400,000

- Super Pops Level 1 (Green) -- 35,000
- Super Pops Level 2 (Yellow) -- 50,000
- Super Pops Level 3 (Red) -- 95,000
- Super Pops Level 4 (Magenta) -- 115,000

- Super Slings Level 1 (Green) -- 100,000
- Super Slings Level 2 (Yellow) -- 200,000
- Super Slings Level 3 (Red) -- 350,000
- Super Slings Level 4 (Magenta) -- 500,000

- Super Spins Level 1 (Green) -- 14,000
- Super Spins Level 2 (Yellow) -- 20,000
- Super Spins Level 3 (Red) -- 28,000
- Super Spins Level 4 (Magenta) -- 38,000

- Super Targets Level 1 (Green) -- 100,000
- Super Targets Level 2 (Yellow) -- 150,000
- Super Targets Level 3 (Red) -- 250,000
- Super Targets Level 4 (Magenta) -- 350,000

New:
- Added topper support.
- Custom Black Knight speech plays when the flipper buttons are pressed
during attract mode and during gameplay with a topper installed.
- Full animatronic motion of the Black Knight head is synchronized with all
Black Knight speech effects and interacts with events during gameplay.
- Additional test menu support added for topper calibration.

- Added speech calls for WAR when war hurry ups start and RAGE when mystery
is lit from the inlanes.
- Added announcer speech calls on mode completion.
- Added alternate game soundtrack.
- Added adjustment for shield hold power.
- Added diagnostics icons to game menu.
- Added flame panel test menu entry.
- Added adjustment for backpedaling speech frequency. Defaults to NEVER.
Also has adjustments for Occasional (30% of the time) and Frequently.
- Added Butcher skeleton speech to Skill Shot.
- Added auto-adjusting Extra Ball to U-Turn Combo rule.
- Added new Adjustment "REQUIRE MODE FOR CATAPULT LOCK"
- If enabled, a mode must be started to light subsequent Catapult Locks.
- If enabled AND CATAPULT LOCK DIFFICULTY is set to hard, a mode must be
started before Catapult Locks can be lit.
- Install Competition sets CATAPULT LOCK DIFFICULTY to HARD and REQUIRE MODE
FOR CATAPULT LOCK to YES.

Moved to System 2.43:
- Updated to nodeboard firmware v0.56.0

- Allow the knocker sound effect to play completely when a replay is
awarded during the last ball bonus and ensure the normal game volume is
restored.

- Added Standard Adjustment "MAX PLAYERS PER GAME". Values are 1 to 4,
with a default setting of 4. This can be used to limit the number
of players that can be added to a game.

- Using LEFT+START to end a game during bonus count could leave game graphics
on screen while in attract mode. This has been corrected.

- Added UTIL->VOL Adjustment "SELECT AUDIO FILTER". Values are:
"NONE", "HIGH/LOW SHELF", and "10 BAND EQ". Default value is
"HIGH/LOW SHELF".
"NONE": No filtering will be performed on the audio output. Useful when
using the Line Out as input for an external device.
"HIGH/LOW SHELF": A High/Low Shelf Filter is applied to the audio output.
The Bass Frequency can be set to: 125Hz, 250Hz, or Disabled.
The Treble Frequency can be set to: 4KHz, 8KHz, or Disabled.
The Gain can be set to -12dB .. +12dB
On Spike 2 the Shelf Frequency and Gain can be set independently for the
Backbox and Cabinet speakers.
"10 BAND EQ": A full 10 Band EQ is applied to the audio output.
Sliders are used to adjust the Gain of a specific range of frequencies.
The Frequencies are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1KHz, 2KHz, 4KHz,
8KHz, 16KHz.
The Gain curve has a 60dB dynamic range across the -120 .. +120 Slider
settings.
On Spike2 the Gain can be set independently for the Backbox and Cabinet
speakers.

Moved to OS V2.0.17

#2165 4 years ago

The new "super" rules add some interesting risk/reward strategy for when to use the MagnaSave. Really surprised they used that for the super jackpot collect...but I like the twist! Before I was quick to use it even if I had a good chance of saving the ball myself. Now I will be hesitant and lose more balls, lol. Do I take the sure save, but cash in my supers early? Or risk it and keep building. It will also cause people to sacrifice a magnasave in order to cash in a big super jackpot. Very interesting...

#2168 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

*Added alternate game soundtrack.*
SACRILEGE.
There are so many changes with scoring, I'm excited just to play and see what happens! I'm updating the code now and in a few hours (~2pm MST) I'll be streaming with direct audio/video capture @ twitch.tv/aeonblack6

Yeah...alternate soundtrack is a headscratcher for sure. I thought that was the part of the machine most people agreed was awesome. But hey...I'm all for options so interested to see (err...hear) what it is.

#2183 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I just tried the alternate soundtrack. I like it. Either or Soundtracks are fine. Extra Crispy or new Original. Just like Chicken.
The alternate track is kind of like a good movie type soundtrack if I had to describe it. Neat you can switch back and forth. I will try out the alternate for awhile, but thinking I am liking it.
Nice there are now choices. You can always switch back or change for the crowd that's playing. Cool idea.

Ahh...cool. I'm all for anything that gives people a better option for them. Looking forward to checking it out, but will be surprised if I do not change it back quickly. I love the metal soundtrack. Glad the option is there for those that want it though!

Also now I want chicken.

#2217 4 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

- The monster sounds during the realm intro have been softened which is a negative for me. I loved hearing the hydra and lich lords roaring loud enough to bring my walls down. Now it's much softer and far less menacing. I'm guessing this was to bring the Black Knights voice more to the forefront - but bring back the menacing beast roars!

Oh man...I knew something seemed off but couldn't put my finger on it. YES...need to bring the roars back! Please Tim!!

1 week later
#2259 4 years ago
Quoted from TOKYOSANDBLASTER:

Hi all, few quick questions...
I've had the screw fall out holding the shield in twice. Sucks because you have to take the whole housing off to fix it. Any tips on how to secure it better?
Also, I really can't figure out what to do to fix this. I still lose at least a ball every two games on the ball going over the flippers and outlanes. I dialed down the slope, set the flippers as soft as possible, what the heck else can I do here? Love this game but it's starting to drive me nuts.

I was getting an insane amount of airballs off the slings, misc posts, etc. Discovered that basically EVERY post in the game was loose. In some cases barely finger tight or less. Went through and tightened them all and it plays much better now. Still get an occasional airball, but no where near as bad. At minimum check your sling posts and the posts around the knight, ramps, etc. But it wouldn't hurt to check them all. Not sure what Stern is thinking, but they really need to check and follow their torque specs. Most of my newer machines have had this issue, but none quite to this extent.

1 month later
#2375 4 years ago

Had a killer game last night, first time breaking a billion and finally hit RANSOM. Such a fun mode! Just wish it was a little more accessible. Was able to battle the Knight again in the Black Castle which is always a good time. This is the first time I have done it on anything other than my last ball, and was a bit disappointed to see the fight does not carry over to your next ball like all the other battles do. No RAGE for me. Would be nice to see this be a setting in the future (or maybe it is and I never noticed it??)....kind of like Jericho on Iron Man. Either way...it always feels great to get this deep on such a brutal game.
E7EC1A02-FCCB-48A3-97B2-B3E95B5F70D6 (resized).jpegE7EC1A02-FCCB-48A3-97B2-B3E95B5F70D6 (resized).jpeg

#2381 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Wow. Holy cow. Any general summary of how you got that score?
Totally agree that it’s crap that the final fight doesn’t continue if you have balls left.

Wish I could tell you something magic...but really I just had a lucky game and didn't drain.

My strategy is super basic...just concentrate on modes, take WARs, supers, and multiballs as they come without really concentrating on making them happen. I try to do WAR hurry-ups when they come, but they are usually deadly. In mutiball I concentrate on supers (they are too deadly to focus on during single ball for me). If I am in the right mood I will try to boost the mode values, but that is usually playing with fire. I might have done that once or twice during this particular game, but not often.

I would love the Black Castle battle to have a status/health bar so we could see how many hits remain. Every time I get there, I swear I got dozens of hits in (realistically probably like 3, LOL), and no idea when it will end. So nasty making you hit those center shots so often!

1 week later
#2422 4 years ago
Quoted from EilersPark:

First of all, the side armor does look good on the LE, much better than I thought. like therudyb I also have a Premium and am concerned about how these would look especially with his sword swinging at you. If anyone has pictures of the side armor installed on a Premium, please share. Otherwise I think I'm inclined to go with the generic black teardrop ones.

There were some posted earlier in this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/38#post-5383942

Now if anyone has pics of them on a pro, that I'd be very interested in seeing. Not sure how that will look with the sword on the artwork being the focal point on the pro. I like the side rails, but I think they could be better without the Black Knight title on it. That looks a little busy and crammed in. Would have been better if it was his helmet, similar to how GoT have the house sigils or SW has the imperial / rebel logos.

1 month later
#2533 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Quick question: is there a way to randomize the mode that starts? It seems that default first mode is always sandworm, unless you change the mode by hitting the spinner/pops. I have looked for an answer, but couldn't find one on here.

I am 98% sure they ARE random, at least in the pro. If not I have literally never noticed in the year I have owned mine....and I think I would have noticed. Will let you know for sure once I get a chance to play mine later.

3 weeks later
#2619 3 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Question for those familiar with both the LE/Premium and the Pro ... could you possibly play a Premium in "Pro mode" if the upper flipper was disabled? I don't know how they work around the physical catapult lock not being present on the Pro. I know this would require software changes. I was simply wondering if that was something we could bug Stern about ... maybe they'd listen ... the only reason I'd want this feature is to practice for tournaments (they typically use Pros) and maybe change things up here and there (not like I've mastered the game or anything ).

Unfortunately, the way they worked around the catapult lock not being there on the pro is they took catapult multiball away altogether...which kind of leaves a hole in the pro's code. I love the game, but it really needs that one more thing to do. They could have remapped that shot any number of ways, but unfortunately chose not to. I'm still hoping that is changed someday, but not really holding my breath. It's a bummer.

#2633 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Wow. Wonder how many people have ever done it. Has to be under 5. What was your score?

I doubt it's that low. I have done it, but only once in the ~year I have had it. RANSOM is nearly as difficult for me...I have only saw that twice. I'd love a few more ways to earn letters...mix it up like TWD earning multikills.

Quoted from RipleYYY:

really !? i dont feel that BK is a hard game to finish...
will tell you more when i get the luck to get one home

Getting to the castle to face BK is fairly achievable. I'm guessing I get there about 1 out of 10 games or so. Beating him is another story all together. You are forced to make so many deadly center shots that it honestly comes down to luck. There just isn't any real way to mitigate the risk of hitting the spinning flail or the center target....and there is no way around them during that battle. It's like being forced to do WAR hurry-ups over and over. You are just screwed, LOL!

#2640 3 years ago
Quoted from KickahaOta:

In my brief time with the machine (about 190 plays so far), I've gotten to Black Castle twice. I choked pretty badly both times; I think the most I managed was seven shots.
RANSOM hasn't been as much of a problem; I've gotten there 11 times. I suspect that this is because I try to finish WAR more often than is really prudent. (The score earned from WAR doesn't really justify the risk of going after it during single-ball play; but it does spot a KNIGHT letter, which helps getting to RANSOM.)

You have gotten to RANSOM 11 times, but only BC twice? I must be missing something in the rules, because that seems almost impossible to me. There are only 5 modes before Black Castle. You need what...four letters (I think 2 are spotted?) to get to Retro, then another six to get to Ransom. So 10 letters total to get there. If you are getting 5 or less from modes, that means you are getting at least 5 successful_ WAR completions! That's some crazy skill. WAR almost always means death to me. They just seems way to difficult requiring 4-6 shots (depending if the flail is spinning and/or the shield is down) at deadly shots that are nearly impossible to mitigate. I guess I need some serious practice...LOL!

#2643 3 years ago
Quoted from KickahaOta:

I suspect that reaching RANSOM is much easier on Premiums than it is on Pros, because I can get two or sometimes three Catapult Multiballs per game in addition to one of two Triple Knights Challenges. During Multiballs I'm typically shoveling balls up the orbits whenever I can, to get them out of the way and to light Supers. That generates a lot of WAR opportunities, often while the MULTIBALL ball saver is still active (either at the start of the mode or after Add-A-Ball), so there's no risk. (In fact losing balls in Catapult Multiball's ball saver can be beneficial, because those balls get autoplunged back to the upper playfield to set up Super Jackpots.)
But you can also see the other way this goes; a Multiball-heavy strategy can slow down progress on modes (because you can't start modes while a Multiball is running, and if you start Catapult Multiball during Triple Knights Challenge or vice-versa to get six-ball play, that's a long stretch of Multiball play and potentially several WARs while only one mode is running.)

Ahhh! That makes much more sense then. I forgot about Catapult multi and that you can get WARs started during. Yeah, on my pro I usually only get one, MAYBE two Triple Knights Challenge multiballs going per game. I get Retro most games, but unfortunately no WAR progress during those. I still think Catapult multi could be added to the pro fairly easily, but I know that's just a pipe dream at this point. :/

This game is so close to awesomeness. I really hope Tim puts it over the finish line, but honestly I'm losing hope on that.

2 weeks later
#2661 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

I have the pro model. For some reason the center black knight switch doesn't register with a ball hit or when I manually press it. Anyone have this issue before?

First thing I would check is make sure the target isn't stuck. There is very little room between the edge of the target and the post rubbers along side of it. Targets can shift a bit over time, and it wouldn't surprise me if this happened.

Next check that it's adjusted properly. Then check to make sure a wire didn't fall off the switch. Not sure if there are diodes on these, but if so, make sure that's still attached too. If all those are good, start tracing the wires back as far as possible to make sure there isn't a disconnect or break. Good luck!

2 weeks later
#2672 3 years ago

Has anyone installed the Hooked pop bumper caps on a Pro? Instructions say they just screw right on top of the existing caps. No problem on the top two, but the bottom one has the ramp wireform on top of it. There's only about 1/16" or so between the wireform and the stock cap. The Hooked caps are pretty thick...1/4" or maybe more. There's no way they are just sliding under there. It would be easy enough to loosen the wireform to install, but there would be some major stress on the wireform (and cap) when reinstalled and tightened down. Am I missing something? Maybe I have less room between the pop and wireform than I should?

FA8FF5EF-5E3B-4445-9653-EAD3AFDBD4A7 (resized).jpegFA8FF5EF-5E3B-4445-9653-EAD3AFDBD4A7 (resized).jpeg
#2674 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I removed the stock caps. If you removed the plastic caps, I think that extra room should get you under the wireform without issue.

Tried that too. Lots of stress on the wireform even then. I might try adding a couple washers under the wireform spacers to see if that gives me enough extra room. Otherwise I might end up using only the top two. Not the end of the world as you can't see the bottom one from the players position (at my height anyway, LOL!). Thanks for the idea though!

#2676 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Okay, good luck, let us know how it goes. Glad you got ‘em!

Thanks..and thanks again for the caps! They are awesome!

1 week later
#2725 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

Black Castle is the final battle against the Black Knight, which is just a single ball fight like the monsters as you progress through the realms. The main difference here though (and a common complaint against the game) is you get only one shot at it. The fight is a lot harder than the monsters since you're force to battle the flail and shield, which can so easily send the ball straight down the middle. If the timer runs out or you drain, then you're all the way back to fighting the first monster again. Which really sucks as making it to the Black Castle is an achievement in itself and few people are going to do it twice in the one game.
The music and rules in Black Castle are really enjoyable, so it's a shame this can end so quickly. My experience is on the Pro though, so I'm unsure if the upper playfield can make this mode easier on the Prem/LE models. But still - one shot at the mode is adding an artificial difficulty that doesn't need to be in an already tough game.
I'd like to see the second retro knight mode more accessible in the next update too. With close to 1500 games on my Pro now, I've yet to activate it even once. I've had more success reaching Black Castle and then the final Wizard mode than a mini wizard mode, which doesn't make sense.

Agree 100%. I've had my machine just over a year and only gotten to RAGE once and RANSOM twice I think, and I'd like to think I'm a decent player. Black Castle is a fairly common achievement for me...I'd say 1 or every 10 games or so I can get there. The battle against BK should be hard, but as it is now, it's just too much. It's an amazing mode, but it has way too many shots required, and way too many of them being the three center shots which are all instant death risks. I understand "Play Better", but there is no strategy or skill involved with surviving those three shots...it's literally all luck. At bare minimum, the fight should continue into the next ball like every other fight does. That will not help me much as I rarely get there on anything but my last ball, but it would be something! An instant extra ball for getting to the castle would be a nice bonus, and combined with continuing the fight would be a perfect solution. Still hard, but more manageable. Possibly smart programming of short ball saves when those center shots are required would be nice, but I'd hate to see it get TOO easy. (yeah right ). All this could be managed in the settings to keep people that like the crazy difficulty happy too.

RANSOM I have complained about many times. That's another one where the only practical way to get there is by making tons of the three center shots by doing WAR hurry-ups over and over and over. We all know that's playing with fire. This could be made much more manageable by simply adding more ways to collect letters. Think about HORDE in TWD. There are many ways to earn multikills, which makes HORDE obtainable but I do not think anyone would argue it's too easy to get to. Follow the same philosophy for collecting letters and you'd increase the number of people that can enjoy RANSOM exponentially. At minimum add a letter for completing a super skill shot. As of now, all you get for a super skill shot is a few extra points, but lose out on the easy WAR letter. Not worth it at all. Give me a letter and it would be worth it! Letters could be added for every so many jackpots (or for a super jackpot) in TKC and maybe even Retro. That would make those multiballs more useful than they are now too. Letting WAR hurry-ups happen in Retro would help, but it would take away from the theme of the mode, so I do not think I would want that. You could even give a letter for every so many orbit shots or drop target bank completions...giving you more reason to actually shoot the right side of the playfield.

This is a great game, but honestly as-is it is missing a layer of things to do. This is especially true of the pro, which has a big gap where Catapult multiball should be (and 100% COULD be if they simply mapped the lock shot to the left VUK or something similar). As it is now, two awesome modes are locked behind requirements that only very good players will ever see, and only the elite will enjoy regularly. In a super deep game such as LOTR, TSPP, TWD, etc...it's ok for the final wizard modes to be that far away. For something with the depth/breadth of BK though...it just doesn't leave enough to do for the average player. I honestly think they either need to make those two modes more obtainable, OR add another layer of things to do for those that struggle to get to the end (or...perfect world, both!).

I know I sound like a broken record for those that have read my previous posts, but this is such a fun game, and is SO CLOSE to greatness. I really hope Tim pushes this over that line. Unfortunately seeing the radio silence on this game while we see almost all of the other games released recently get huge update after update makes me start to lose hope. It's a GOOD game as it sits, but it could be a GREAT game with some relatively minor tweaks. (Or course if they want to go huge and give us a second set of monsters for each realm too, my head would explode, LOL).

/Rant off. Love the game...just hope to see some minor tweaks that would make a huge difference.

2 weeks later
#2821 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

In my opinion clear always looks best. Why change the original colors of the plastics to a single washed out color?

Wish I could give this like 6 thumbs up. Colored protectors kill the art just as bad as color bombed LEDs.

1 week later
#2862 3 years ago

I have found that usually the shaker just needs to be tightened down to the cabinet when it gets noisy. Sometimes the cross bolt that goes across the top of the shaker can be tightened a bit too.

1 month later
#3047 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Thx for the response. Clear protectors it is!

Good call. Colored protectors are like the next generation of color bombed GI LEDs.

1 week later
#3116 3 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

Has anyone disconnected the wires and cables to pull the playfield? Everything looks straightforward underneath, but I’m concerned about disconnecting the patch cable. Will I lose anything, or totally okay as long as (obviously) the machine is off? I have inner art blades to install and it looks so much easier with the playfield pulled. The trial run on the art blade protectors shows them to be well worth it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You will not lose anything by disconnecting at playfield, and like you said it's pretty straight forward. Removing the pf is definitely the easiest way to install blades if you are comfortable lifting it in and out. Otherwise it's really not hard to do it with the pf just flipped up against the backbox. Good luck!

3 weeks later
#3210 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

About 20% of the time the ball will bounce back out of the lock hole behind the shield. I put a small piece of furniture foot pad where it hits, but it still is bouncing back too often. Suggestions/adjustments? I've looked for some sort of double stick memory foam but can't find anything on the market. I can't believe I'd be the only one experiencing this!
at :23
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PbZMXynATj86TWFaL97HLUrPvq0KgJvh/view?usp=sharing

There should be a one-way gate stopping that from happening. Yours must be missing or needs to be adjusted.

#3212 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

interesting. I don’t remember a gate of sorts on mine. I’ll have to take a look. I get about 10% or less bouncing out but I thought it was hitting and bouncing back earlier in the metal curve, not all the way back into the actual hole like this video shows. Could be just to fast to see correctly with the naked eye tho.

Yup. I had to adjust mine a bit as a slow moving ball would occasionally get stuck in the gate. Never had a bounce out, even with making it looser by bending up the spring steel flap a bit.
76E88990-06F3-4FC0-AA8F-281D3D9936EC (resized).jpeg76E88990-06F3-4FC0-AA8F-281D3D9936EC (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#3287 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

Perhaps the plan was to release all three together, which would explain the removal yesterday.
Redownloading now and will install on my morning break.
This is a good game for the DJ Mixer to be in - although surely an option to select between original and alternate soundtracks at the start of a game would be simple enough to implement with this update.

After seeing the extent of the AIQ and STh updates, this is kind of a big old middle finger after how long we've been waiting. This game is so good, but could be great with a few minor tweaks. I am really disappointed in Tim's lack of dedication to this game compared to pretty much any other coder, including Lonnie who usually gets crapped on (but is killing it with STh code). SMH

#3324 3 years ago

I've said it before, but KNIGHT letters should be more like TWD's multikills. Instead of one per mode or the crazy dangerous hurry-ups only, have them earn-able for additional goals. Super skill shot. Certain number of u-turns. Super jackpot. So many drop bank completions. Etc, etc. That's a way better solution to making RANSOM more obtainable without just spotting more letters.

I agree Black Castle should be able to continue on ball drain. Every other mode works that way, so why make the hardest, most dangerous, difficult to get to mode a one-shot deal? Even with the continue, it is still a super hard mode to complete. I have gotten there many times, but only finished it to see RAGE twice.

The game, especially the pro just needs more obtainable_ content. The sad part is that the cool content is there, it's just locked behind insanely difficult requirements that the average player will never, or very rarely, see. That's ok for a very deep game, like TWD, TSPP, etc...but for a game with the simplicity of BK, you can't lock half the game behind those walls.

If you want to keep RANSOM and RAGE that difficult to get to, then give us more lower level content. Catapult multi on the pro would be a nice start, and very easy to implement by lighting lock with the drop bank, then lock in the left scoop. Done. That adds much needed content utilizing assets that already exist, and gives us a reason to shoot at the right side of the playfield. Win-win. Everyone's happy with a minimal amount of work. I'd love to see more than one monster per realm, but I'm sure that's a pipe dream and would be a much bigger undertaking.

The supers system has potential to be awesome, but it needs...something. At least a better way of cashing out other than wasting a magna-save. Not sure what to do here. I don't hate it as-is, but it seems like something could be better. That's the least of my wants though.

Seriously, this game is so close to amazing that it's infuriating to see it stagnate as-is. With a small amount of effort it could be so much better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but rapidly loosing hope at this point. I enjoy the game as-is...but it could be so much more with a few minor tweaks.

#3334 3 years ago

Adding catapult multiball to the pro would have exactly 0% effect on the value of the prem/LE. That damage has already been done by initial impressions and lack of code updates. Those that love the prem/LE do so because of the upper playfield, not because it currently has a mode that the pro doesn't have.

2 weeks later
#3428 3 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

At startup, when Ye Old Medieval Madness comes up on the screen, it’s in a “Smoothing” format. But all the other screens, plus the scenes during game play, are in a “Dots” format. Is it possible to change all the scenes to Smoothing? Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I think you might be storming the wrong castle here...

#3445 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Just a friendly reminder, Check your posts First time I've really dug into this game since I've had it (was putting some titan rubbers on) and noticed several posts leaning.. turns out they weren't tight at all. All 3 screws were cross threaded in the t-nuts not allowing to get tight. Right sling plastic was slightly warped as well. Lucky I had a couple screws and t-nuts on hand (one of the screw posts broke off in the t-nut.)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah...I think I posted a similar PSA earlier in the thread, and it's well worth mentioning again. Every new Stern I have bought the past few years have had loose posts, but not to the extent of BK. Literally every post on my game was finger tight or worse. Stranger Things, GOTG, SW, TMNT, all also had many loose. I just unboxed an Avengers:IQ and while it had a couple loose, it wasn't nearly as bad as those.

#3470 3 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

I can't recall is did we even start a list of proposed code enhancements? Assuming Stern reads some of what goes on here.

Here is a copy/paste of my wishlist:

I've said it before, but KNIGHT letters should be more like TWD's multikills. Instead of one per mode or the crazy dangerous hurry-ups only, have them earn-able for additional goals. Super skill shot. Certain number of u-turns. Super jackpot. So many drop bank completions. Etc, etc. That's a way better solution to making RANSOM more obtainable without just spotting more letters.

I agree Black Castle should be able to continue on ball drain. Every other mode works that way, so why make the hardest, most dangerous, difficult to get to mode a one-shot deal? Even with the continue, it is still a super hard mode to complete. I have gotten there many times, but only finished it to see RAGE twice.

The game, especially the pro just needs more obtainable_ content. The sad part is that the cool content is there, it's just locked behind insanely difficult requirements that the average player will never, or very rarely, see. That's ok for a very deep game, like TWD, TSPP, etc...but for a game with the simplicity of BK, you can't lock half the game behind those walls.

If you want to keep RANSOM and RAGE that difficult to get to, then give us more lower level content. Catapult multi on the pro would be a nice start, and very easy to implement by lighting lock with the drop bank, then lock in the left scoop. Done. That adds much needed content utilizing assets that already exist, and gives us a reason to shoot at the right side of the playfield. Win-win. Everyone's happy with a minimal amount of work. I'd love to see more than one monster per realm, but I'm sure that's a pipe dream and would be a much bigger undertaking.

The supers system has potential to be awesome, but it needs...something. At least a better way of cashing out other than wasting a magna-save. Not sure what to do here. I don't hate it as-is, but it seems like something could be better. That's the least of my wants though.

Seriously, this game is so close to amazing that it's infuriating to see it stagnate as-is. With a small amount of effort it could be so much better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but rapidly loosing hope at this point. I enjoy the game as-is...but it could be so much more with a few minor tweaks.

1 month later
#3623 3 years ago

Even if you have the reaction time, the magnasave on BK:SOR is weak compared to the original and pretty much every other game with magnasave ever made. Not sure if it's physically weaker, positioned worse, or if it's just due to the higher ball speed on the new games. Maybe a combination of all the above, but it's a significant difference. My old BK could suck a ball back out of the outlane a good inch or more down. With SOR you need to use it as an insurance policy. If in doubt, use it. If you know it's going to drain, it's already gone. I laugh when I hear people talk about drilling a hole in the cabinet thinking it's going to make a difference. It's not. Only reason to do that is if you just plain want the button there. It won't help in game play.

3 months later
#3927 2 years ago

The sad thing is, the code is good...there are some really, really good ideas there...especially for Tim's first outing. It is SO close to greatness...but just not quite there, and the things stopping it short are some pretty big things. I think we all had high hopes that Tim's obvious passion for pinball would carry over into his work and he would be the type to really push it over the top into greatness. Unfortunately, so far, he hasn't done that. I really hope he circles back to it and puts it over, but at this point I think it is what it is.

It would be the simplest thing in the world to at least throw the pro a bone and give us catapult multiball. Map light lock to either the drops on the right or standups of the left (prefer right so we have some reason to use the left flipper). Virtual lock at the left scoop (which looks like a catapult anyway). Done. The assets are already done. A few minor tweaks to how the balls lock and relock and you're done. That alone would go a LONG way in our enjoyment and faith in his work. Tweak Black Castle difficulty (at minimum make it carry over to the next ball like every other battle), maybe do some work to the supers system (not sure exactly what, but it needs...something), and it would be great.

To really push it into awesome, I would make at least one of the two crazy difficult to get to multiballs (RAGE and RANSOM) more obtainable. As it is, very few players will ever see either of them, especially not on a regular basis. They are already there and great...make them easier to get to and that would be a big boost to the available content for most players. Or if both stay that difficult, an additional obtainable multiball or similar mini-wizard mode would go a long way. You just can't keep such a big percentage of the "cool stuff" locked so far away from the average player. If there was more easier stuff to do, sure, lock that stuff away. But as-is...it's harsh. Catapult would help the pro hugely, and another 1-2 obtainable modes would help everyone. I consider this stuff optional, but would sure make the game amazing.

#3930 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Easiest way to get more Ransom and rage multiball is via a mysterie award. That would be easy to get in the code. Tournament mode can leave out these awards. Everybody happy.

I wouldn't go as far as awarding those huge modes directly from a mystery. I would be all for awarding a KNIGHT letter from mystery though, and as an award for other things besides battles and WAR. That would make getting to Retro and then RANSOM much easier. Make it more like TWD multikills. KNIGHT letter for a super skill shot (give me a reason to get it...right now it's a negative since I lose a WAR letter for a few extra points), for so many jackpots in TKC, for so many u-turns, for so many drop target completions, etc. That would be a good option for making RANSOM obtainable. I do not want it to be a gimme, but make it obtainable for the average/good player. I would default to no spotted letters then though, otherwise Retro would be even more of a gimme than it is now.

I think Rage would solve itself by making Black Castle slightly less brutal. Let it carry over between balls and cut down on the sheer number of dangerous center shots needed. Let's face it, those three shots are luck (especially the center standup)...there is very little if any skill in hitting them safely. Maybe only require one "knight shot" per volley of hits instead of all three. Rage should still be very hard to get to, but not the nearly impossible it is now.

1 week later
#3993 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Most times I don‘t get over 100 (More like 20), but 2 hours going straight I kinda stopped missing shots.

I think 2 hours straight against the knight would kill me! Nice!

2 weeks later
#4037 2 years ago

I wouldn't count on the older style mech fixing anything, and if it does it's by luck. The older one wasn't much different in the mechanism itself, and there were just as many problems in that era as there are with them now. It is luck of the draw honestly, and some games a weak plunge is much less noticeable than others. Tron is one that could have a crappy one and not make much difference since it doesn't have to go up any sort of ramp to make it to the top of the playfield. It's simply a poor design. Lots of moving parts and joints with tolerances too loose to work together 100%. The best you can do it adjust the forks to give the best ball contact and maybe try to take up some slop in the mech with a washer or e-clip. And that can be tricky too as if you take up too much tolerance, you can lose power by binding up. There is simply no way to get a 100% perfectly consistent launch with how this mech is designed. Hopefully you can tweak things enough to make it good enough for your game.

#4039 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Yep, I agree with everything you said. It's not noticeable on my Tron or metallica because there's no additional incline to the launch. The design is crap for sure. Thicker metal on the tabs would keep them from bringing l bending out over time I think but you're right that the design still sucks. PBL is special ordering a new (stock) kicker arm for me, so I'll have it on hand one way or another.. I'm still kicking around whether or not to spend the $60 on the Tron style. Probably won't, for the reasons you mentioned, but idk.
For right now I bent the tabs WAY in and maxed the power and it's working fairly well. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Just sucks to have to babysit it so much.

Yeah...it can be a bummer for sure. The thicker forks definitely still bend though. I spent many months messing with my (original) Avengers, and eventually just had to accept the fact that between the mech and the flimsy ramp that it launches up on to, there was no way it would ever be 100%. Thankfully a crap launch just leads to a nice safe right inlane feed, so it's not a terrible issue on that particular game.

I do find that bending the forks in can help sometimes. Hope that keeps working for you or you are able to find the magic bullet!

3 weeks later
#4094 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Question for you owners - while talking with my buddy who has a Pro I mentioned that I thought one of the code updates included a magnasave fix that would kick a ball back in the shooter lane if you hit the action button before the ball rolls over the right outlane switch. However in my searches on the forums I can't find where I read that. Is this all in my head??? 1000% possible.

Yeah I'm afraid that one is in your head.

#4136 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

Oh really??? Interesting. This would be my first time playing with superbands then; how the hell do you post pass with it? It jumps more than it should, hits the other sling and comes back to same flipper.
This pic is superbands then?

No, BK did not come with superbands for the flippers or other usual rubber. I think he was referring only to the small post rings around the center shots. Those are a slightly different design and may be silicone (possibly even superband brand, not sure). Not the first time Steve Ritchie has used those...I think my Star Trek had them too (or maybe SW? Can't remember for sure). But the flippers, etc are good old regular rubber.

As for post passes, that isn't always a function of rubber type (though it can help/hurt). Some games just aren't as easy as others to do it on.

0100EE20-BFAE-44E4-B683-F0DCFE7D909F (resized).jpeg0100EE20-BFAE-44E4-B683-F0DCFE7D909F (resized).jpeg
#4142 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

BK2K mode is definitely my favorite, at least from what I've hit, even though it's not QUITE as cool as BK2K itself. It's definitely very short lived for me lol.
BKSOR is still *easily* the best of the three games as far as I'm concerned. Truly a great game.

Ransom (BK2K) mode can't be short lived...it's timed with unlimited balls! Then again the time limit is never as long as you want it to be!

Such a pain to get to, but what an awesome mode.

2 months later
#4344 2 years ago
Quoted from Nazz26:

Yes Tim if your listening please 1 more major update. Love the game..Top priority is add a second multi ball to the Pro version….

Yup. We aren't even asking for any new assets to be made or major rules to be come up with. Just give us (pro owners) catapult multiball please. Light lock wherever (I suggest drops to give us more reason to shoot that direction...or even the right orbit!), virtual locks on the left orbit/saucer. Boom. 100% happier pro owners!

Of course there are MANY other awesome suggestions scattered through this thread, but that single change would really improve the overall perception of this game. I'd personally tone down the brutality of the Black Castle BK battle too to make RAGE slightly more feasible. And give us more ways to earn letters so RANSOM is a little more common too. Less spotted letters initially, but more ways to earn them would be awesome. Make these few changes, and this is suddenly a top tier game in my mind. Something tweaked with the supers system (though I'm not sure exactly what) would be a cherry on top.

Come on Tim...please...we love you...we love the game. It wouldn't take much to push it over the top!

1 month later
#4400 2 years ago

While it isn't the catapult multiball I was hoping to be added to the pro, I will say the Black Castle tweaks will be a game changer. This will make the knight much easier to deal with, and RAGE multiball will become a much more feasible goal.

The challenge modes are alright....a decent way for more people to experience RANSOM I guess. I still would have loved to see more ways to earn KNIGHT letters to help get there in-game. With the changes to Black Castle, I have a feeling RANSOM will now be the hardest goal to achieve.

Glad to see this update. It's not everything the game needs, but at least it's a step in the right direction and certainly better than nothing. I'm looking forward to seeing RAGE more than once a year, LOL!

#4403 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

What are the ways to earn RANSOM Letters? From each of the modes, Triple Knight MB Super Jackpot, War Hurry Completion, is that all?

Yeah, I think those are all. I mostly only see them from modes. WAR are dangerous death shots. Yeah, I still get suckered into trying, but usually regret it, LOL. I can rarely keep Triple Knight going long enough to get a super. Yeah I know..play better. But there could have been way more ways of earning them. Super Skill Shot especially, which would give a reason to actually bother with it. As of now, no reason to try for the SSS since you are giving up a WAR letter to hit it.

#4406 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Is the ball save only for the challenge mode though?

No, they added a ball save to the start of Black Castle and also for each of the non-knight progression shots (if I'm reading correctly). Hopefully that ball save is long enough to safely get a couple hits in on the knight before moving on to the next progression shot. It's not the "outer" shots that are dangerous...it's the knight shots where you need to hit all three of them between each outer shot.

#4427 2 years ago

I'm usually a huge Stern defender, but man...you have to wonder if they even bothered loading this new code onto a machine before releasing it. How do you not notice these issues immediately? This isn't the only code with major issues either. They completely botched LZ's EM multiball too. When will they learn you work twice as hard fixing the mistakes you made by rushing versus taking your time and doing it right?

1 week later
#4464 2 years ago
Quoted from Andydn:

Revised code coming this week apparently, fingers crossed everything’s been fixed but I’ll be amazed if it has.

And Catapult Multiball added to the pro as a "thank you for your patience". Hey...a guy can dream, right?

#4465 2 years ago

- Added adjustment "UPPER PLAYFIELD TARGET SPOTS SHOTS" that defaults to YES.
Competition install sets it to NO, and does not allow the Light Lock target
on the upper playfield to spot monster mode shots.

I just noticed this on the prem/LE code update. Being a pro guy, I hadn't paid attention to it. I have to admit...this one change has made me 100% more interested in a potential upgrade. Probably the biggest reason I prefer the pro (other than the obvious flow increase) is I HATE the idea of just bashing away at that target to complete the modes. One of the best things about this game are the unique battles...each one is completely different and fun. To me the prem/LE sucks the life right out of the battles by allowing you to just smack a standup target instead. I could see maybe allowing a spotted shot once per battle, but not all of the shots. Now that we can turn that ridiculous "feature" off, that's huge to me.

So why not...I'll just throw this out there. If anyone with a premium or LE within reasonable driving distance (from Plymouth, WI) wants to trade down to a pro plus cash, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. Still not positive I want to go there since I really love the flow of the pro, but it's worth thinking about!

#4487 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Ok that is then still the same as with 1.10. When you play alone the other three boxes are empty. In the older code your score would just be in the middle. Do not knwo why this was needed, maybe due to insider connect or so. I understand maybe for ball 1 because you can still join, but after ball 1 it is just annoying those empty slots. Think of staying on 1.02. Other than the challenge modes there is not much to go for.

Making Black Castle more manageable is a HUGE reason to upgrade. I can live with a slightly uglier UI now that I have a prayer when fighting BK!

3 months later
#4730 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I would have to think that there are, or at least were, plans to add another stackable multiball to the pro. The game uses 6 balls, but as far as I'm aware, you can only ever have 4 in play at once, on the pro, currently. Hopefully, we will get a nice fat update later, like with GB and GOT. Maybe we aren't whining loud enough lol.

I think RAGE might use all 6, but I'm not positive. I also can't remember for sure how many RANSOM uses. But either way, I agree that another multiball would really finish the game off nicely. I have said it enough to be a broken record, but there is literally no reason we couldn't have catapult multiball, and since the assets are already made, it should be a relatively easy thing to implement. Use anything you want to light the lock (I think I would use a drop bank completion since they aren't physically labeled as a specific function, but you could also use the Add Time standups or even the orbits), and use the left saucer as a virtual lock. The upkicker looks like a catapult anyway, so it makes sense. You could easily flash or pulse the lightening insert in front of it (if memory serves they are RGB, so you could use green, or alternate colors when needed for mode shots) to indicate the lock is lit. I am no programmer, but I am guessing this should be a pretty easy thing to do, and would be such a HUGE adder for the pro. I realize Catapult multiball was an "exclusive" mode for the prem/LE guys, but since they aren't being made anymore, and we are a few years down the road, I wouldn't think anyone would be offended that it trickled down to the lowly pros at this point.

Then again, there really isn't any incentive for them to add it either, other than to make us happy and build trust for future customer loyalty. It's probably hard for them to assign a dollar value to that to justify it. But...seriously...the assets are already there. I bet Tim could whip this up in a day or two! (again...I have zero idea if I'm talking out of my butt there...I don't know crap about programming).

Come on Tim...I'll treat you to foodtruck lunch at the next D82 tournament to show my gratitude!

8 months later
#5038 1 year ago

Beat the Knight and got to Rage Multiball for only the second time. Man I love this game. Yes, I wish there was one more early game thing to do on the pro (Tim...I'm still hoping for catapult multiball someday...lots of good ways to handle it and it would be relatively easy to do!). With the tweaks made in the last update, Black Castle is much more manageable at least (but still a major challenge). It is such an underrated gem. Every game is an adrenaline rush and feels like a battle. I love it.

5 months later
#5178 11 months ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Question for all those who still own a BK. I’m considering adding one to my 8 pin collection. What are some of the things you love about your machine? And what differentiates it from other newer sterns?

For me it is the "personality" of the machine that really makes it shine. The shots are good but kind of bland honestly (other than the flail which is a really cool trick, and the shield blocking the scoop shot is nice and thematic). The rules are good...there could be more there, but what is there is solid. The monster modes especially are fun and each has a feel of its own. The art, audio, and video are all awesome. It's the atmosphere, personality and attitude of the machine that keeps it in my collection.

4 months later
#5256 6 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Not specifically the ramps.
Awesome music that gets you pumped up. Fast action. Shots that can punish you (iron monger magnet - black knight). When you’re done, you keep hitting start. Has that perfect one more game feel.

I have always lumped BK and IM together also...to me they are the best games at making you feel that you are truly in a battle. Very similar adrenaline levels and "feel". No similarities in how they shoot or the rules/code...but they scratch the same itch. And in both cases I wish there was a bit more in the code!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.