IMG_1923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1925 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1788 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1776 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1765 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Black Knight Feature matrix. Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #27 Rules card. Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #539 remove upper Playfield Posted by Captainhook (4 years ago)

Post #4057 Link to Upper Playfield removal video. Posted by PeterG (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ezatnova.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1187 4 years ago

Well boys, I joined the club tonight courtesy of an amazing wife, for my 40th bday. She got me a Premium BK!

It’s 2:30 am now and I started messing with it at 9 pm. Haven’t played a game yet, lol.

The game came with 0.94 so it took me a while to go get a USB and download, unzip, install. Worked fine with a 64GB SanDisk 3.0 drive formatted to FAT32.

Some questions/comments/complaints:

- Is there really no “auto” ball save setting?! I LOVE that feature on my AC⚡️DC. Instead of being a fixed number of seconds for a ball save, it analyzes how the game is going and adjusts for you. For example, if the ball is bouncing all over after you launch it, ping ponging on the slings, etc, then dumps down an outlane without you ever touching a flipper, you’ll get a new ball. In BK, all I see are pure timed settings for ball save!

- holy crap that fan in the backbox us loud as hell and annoying.

- the speech seems WAY loud to me compared to the music. So far I have the speech attenuation at +30 and it’s helping a bit, I think. Music is at 0.

- I took the glass off and opened it all up to check for issues. Only notable thing I found so far is that somehow the CN9 board connection was MANGLED from the factory. I carefully unmangled all the pins with the machine off. That’s where my speaker lights will plug in, so hopefully I fixed it enough.

- that Mylar protector that came in the bag doesn’t look particularly fun to apply

- mods on the way: shaker, FF speaker kit, speaker lights, gray and orange titan flipper rubbers, orange start button, orange flipper buttons, orange plastic protectors, “wood” flipper-top decals, the lockdown bar graphic (makes me appreciate my AC⚡️DC metal lockdown bar accent)

Ugh, there’s that fan again. Maybe tomorrow I have to order that quiet fan mod. It’s almost louder than my Raven helicopter attract!!

13D9F346-C267-4900-A69A-36402D6C17F0 (resized).jpeg13D9F346-C267-4900-A69A-36402D6C17F0 (resized).jpegF846867D-E3B7-4897-A22F-FE530C20E9C9 (resized).jpegF846867D-E3B7-4897-A22F-FE530C20E9C9 (resized).jpegD131123B-2208-4262-9616-458AE02D5B85 (resized).jpegD131123B-2208-4262-9616-458AE02D5B85 (resized).jpeg
#1188 4 years ago

Got a few games in. So much fun with the 6 ball multiball.

My only gripe is that I’d say about 40-50% of the time on a SOLID right flipper shot up the flail lane, the ball “rejects” when it hits the scoop where it should go onto the upper field, and rockets back down (often draining SDTM). Seems unfair and not right. I saw SR’s post about checking for screws sticking up, but I don’t see or feel any doing that.

#1192 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

I’ve gotten my ration of those same rejections. Nothing seems to be affecting the ball on my game. Checked the ramp and it all seems smooth. No alignment problems that I could see on the scoop end. Even played it with the sound turned way down to listen for any signs of the ball rattling or hitting something. Every time it happens to me, it at least seems to be because my shot ultimately didn’t have quite enough oomph to make it - like when I used to play miniature golf and the ball wouldn’t make it up a loop-de-loop and then would come zooming back to the tee mat.
I’ve also gotten at least as many flail ramp shots in which the ball “vanishes” for about 3-5 seconds and then slowly comes back into view up top and finally plops onto the upper playfield like a dead weight - as if I shot it at the precise minimum speed that would still get the ball up there. It always pleasantly catches me off guard as I prepare for the drain rocket that doesn’t happen.
I’ve concluded that it’s all a combination of intentionally “evil” game design (you know: the good kind of evil) coupled with the Black Knight using his magic powers. I used to think that it was just the Black Knight’s sword that had magic in it but then I realized that he has magic powers himself: it finally dawned on me that I’ve watched him conjure up extra balls out of thin air right in front of my eyes on many occasions but never connected the dots.

Thanks for the info and experience. I dunno...seems like something isn’t quite right. I mean, my right flipper shots are SLAMMING up there. Plenty of force. To me it almost seems like the ball knicks or spins into something from having tTOO much force maybe? Or there’s just something it’s hitting that I haven’t seen yet. I played with the glass off for a half hour and manually tossed the ball up the ramp but couldn’t conclude anything. I’ll explore some more when I have time and it isn’t 4am lol

#1194 4 years ago

Well, after playing for serval hours:

- Really love this game. So many nice details, and the visuals on the field are really impressive as far as the lighting, knight, etc. So happy I went with a Premium. Played both on location and felt a little thin on the Pro. Loving the Super Skill shot and catapult multiball, and maybe most of all, Last Chance. What an awesome mode that is so unique.

- my concern about the flail ramp shot rejecting a lot has decreased a bit. Maybe something broke-in, or I don’t know what, but now it feels like only 10-20% of the solid right flipper shots get wrongly rejected back down that ramp by the U shaped loop up top.

- regarding the physical playfield, I am only noticing a few dimples from air balls. My AC⚡️DC had hundreds of dimples after the first night. Wonder if it’s just different play physics or if the play fields differ that much in hardness?

- love the speed of this game. And while certainly shots are brutal, I do feel like it’s no where near the mean-ness of AC⚡️DC, and I had much longer average ball times on BK than I can manage on AC⚡️DC.

- still can’t believe there is no “auto” option for the ball save like AC⚡️DC has (and I presume other Sterns). Maybe hope for this in a code update, or do new Sterns not allow this?

- just FYI, so far I’ve managed 148M, and in that game I achieved KNIGHT, but then my ball immediately drained, so I still haven’t gotten to see retro mode yet!!

#1196 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

What auto ball save option are you referencing? The factory ball save setting is 9 seconds and you can adjust it as you want.

On AC⚡️DC you can set it to “auto” instead of a specific time. It’s so much better. As an example, maybe the ball launches, bounces off the pops for 6 seconds, comes down and bounces from one sling to another for 5 seconds, then fires back up into another area and bounces around, then comes down the center and drains. 25 seconds went by and you didn’t touch a flipper and pretty much got screwed. AC⚡️DC on Auto would realize you did nothing to mess up and make a bad shot, so it would do a ball save. Similarly, maybe the ball is fired and goes right down to the flippers. You hammer away, hitting it off some close drop targets 5 or 6 times, then it drains to an outlane. It would NOT give your ball back in that case. Basically, it sense how your ball is going and accordingly adjusts a proper ball save. Never have I felt that it was too short or too generous, it works incredibly well.

#1199 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Hmm. I’ll have to look at that when I get home. I don’t ever remember seeing auto or understand how the machine would know when to activate that feature.
I do know that the pops stop timers for ball saves and sometimes hurry ups and mode shots. Could this be what you are seeing?

No, I’m not seeing anything. It’s just that BK has no “auto” option in the Ball Save setting menu. Just “no ball save” or time specific selections 5-15 seconds. AC⚡️DC has all of those as well as “auto”.

3C8B9023-61CD-4022-9702-3089293E9CC2 (resized).jpeg3C8B9023-61CD-4022-9702-3089293E9CC2 (resized).jpeg
#1201 4 years ago

Odd technical question for you guys. Considered posting in a general tech forum but in case it’s oddly specific to BKSOR, I wanted to ask here

Messing with the settings again, I noticed it showed me a “TECHNICIAN ALERT: Left Flipper EOS switch”. I googled this a bit and learned that the EOS is the switch that changes the flipper button from the high voltage of the initial press, to low voltage when you hold the flipper.

Sure enough when I went into the menu for Diagnostic->Switch Menu->Switch alerts, then cycled through til I got to Left Flipper EOS, it showed OUT OF SERVICE when I selected it. I was simply able to change the setting to IN SERVICE. Now the “Technician Alert” is gone.

For what it’s worth, I checked the right flipper EOS and that is set to In Service.

Is this really odd? I assume that BKSOW isn’t supposed to have the left flipper EOS set to Out of Service?

#1203 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Did you physically inspect the EOS to make sure it didnt break off or anything?

Well, thank you for making me double check. I think it is NOT CORRECT! Look at the permanent space between the two contacts, when the flipper isn’t pressed.

You think they’d test these things. I’d imagine this is not a healthy problem to have, as its messing with low and high voltage.

Also a WARNING for you guys with premiums and LE’s. CHECK YOUR CATAPULT PLASTIC little black screws. I played a Premium at the arcade before I bought mine, and while playing it, both screws came out and the plastic went flying. Now MINE just dropped the darn right screw and I can’t find the stupid thing anywhere. This is only after about 20 games. I’d advise everyone to remove and dab some blue locktite on them and reinstall before it’s too late.

BD8F5537-70D3-43AE-BDCD-6C9785D17828 (resized).jpegBD8F5537-70D3-43AE-BDCD-6C9785D17828 (resized).jpeg79635C88-4B0B-47E3-B19D-CDA1DA4687E5 (resized).jpeg79635C88-4B0B-47E3-B19D-CDA1DA4687E5 (resized).jpeg
#1204 4 years ago

Got the EOS fixed up like a charm.

While hunting for my missing tiny black catapult plastic screw (can NOT find it anywhere), I found this random loose screw in the cabinet bottom. It was totally missing from the apron/catch. Ugh.

Another question. Anyone apply the playfield protector sheet that Stern included in the bag? I’m tempted to do it but it looks like a huge pain where the one part curves under the shield and back by the VUK.
2FAF59E5-A351-4259-8767-98AE3BDBE8E5 (resized).jpeg2FAF59E5-A351-4259-8767-98AE3BDBE8E5 (resized).jpeg

A138FC4D-8F6F-4FD9-9F63-B0CF57F43682 (resized).jpegA138FC4D-8F6F-4FD9-9F63-B0CF57F43682 (resized).jpeg
#1205 4 years ago

Never found the catapult screw. FYI, they are 4 size screws, coarse thread, pan head. Had to spray it black. Locktite is your friend.

#1208 4 years ago

Spelled out knight for the first time tonight. Even hit the drop target that had KNIGHT MODE blinking at it. Then of course draino. GuessI also would have had to hit that same shot again and get the castle VUK. Some day I’ll get it.

Put the shaker motor, Flipper Fidelity, and speaker lights all on now. The shaker motor helped me out by rattling free my lost catapult screw! Bonus!

Not overly thrilled with the FF speakers. I can hear good amounts of bass if I lean down or walk away from the cabinet, but it’s a bit flat and tinny while playing. Set everything to their recommendations except I put some bass back into the backbox speakers. It was just way too sharp and thin. Needs more tweaking I think.

1310DA4F-B17F-4995-98DD-2CAD92E71F6F (resized).jpeg1310DA4F-B17F-4995-98DD-2CAD92E71F6F (resized).jpegBEDB54AC-A3A1-454B-95BB-64D65DC58A7D (resized).jpegBEDB54AC-A3A1-454B-95BB-64D65DC58A7D (resized).jpegF4B2AC55-02F9-477E-A46A-C391E9683A4F (resized).jpegF4B2AC55-02F9-477E-A46A-C391E9683A4F (resized).jpeg
#1210 4 years ago

Rule/bug question. Today I had a situation where the machine went fairly dark (ie like some special mode or something) and just the lightning bolt in front of the shield was blinking green. However, the shield was down. I smacked it numerous times and it did nothing. No shot anywhere on the game seems to change the situation.

It seemed almost like a bug, since it was just blinking at the shield but it wouldn’t lift. I did repeatedly hit the lock (mini shield) target to the right of the shield and it did nothing (as expected since no light was flashing for it).

Once the ball drained, the machine came more to life and seemed to be normal and have lots of shots available to do stuff.

Was I in some sort of odd mode, or is this likely a bug that needs addressing?

#1212 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I have had this happen before on mine, not sure what shot causes it to happen. Also the entire playfield will turn on all the red lights only, which I actually enjoy at times.

I did notice the red looked nice lol. Anyway, hopefully Steve/Tim/stern reads this, or maybe we should submit the official bug via email?

#1213 4 years ago

Anyone have Flipper Fidelity and sound settings they’re happy with?

Installed the Flipping Fantastic Big 10” kit and initially set it to his recommended sound settings. To me, it felt supper tinny and “thin” out of the backbox with very little noticeable bass from the cabinet.

All of the “grunt” from Steve/BK’s voice disappeared as all the bass was filtered out of the backbox speakers, but the frequency of the vocals also gets filtered out from the cabinet sub. It was very sharp and crisp but not thick and full, of that makes sense.

Played with a few settings and put the cabinet sub back to 240 hz which allowed me to perceive noticeably more bass. Also took the backbox bass from 0 to +6 to stop it from being so cuttingly thin.

Overall still not thrilled. One thing I noticed is that I hear/feel very little bass from the cabinet while playing, but if I step a few feet away from the machine, the bass is a lot stronger. Naturally poor acoustics and speaker positioning in the game causes that, I suppose.

#1219 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

My first thought on ideas for the next code update would be to make more use of the optos up on the upper playfield. I see and have shot fairly often 3 different loop shots. Would be nice to have some reward/rule layering for these types of loops aswell as the traditional one .
On my diagram (sorry for the quick rough drawing!, need to get back playing, lol!) The white and blue arrows are loops without code (other than 30 points!) the yellow one is the regular loop.
[quoted image]
Also, it would be good to have some reward/alternative use for cycling a ball in the castle lock when lock isn't lit and i'd also like more use of the lock down bar button. Different colours for other stuff aswell as magna save. Nothing feels better than hitting that button!

Definitely agree on the “top loop”. Annoying to bang that shot out 4-5 times in a row and have it give you 0

#1247 4 years ago

Another quality control thing for people to check.

Kept looking through the rule guide for why the black knight target only counted one out of every two or three hits, but couldn’t find anything.

Finally looked up close and sure enough, the target was mounted so that the right side was jammed into the post rubber just to the right of it. So the target could only physically register if you happened to hit it hard and way on the left side.

Corrected the target and much better now! It actually counts when I hit it.

Before and after pics

DF721CD4-17A4-488A-A284-36B6B251EFB9 (resized).jpegDF721CD4-17A4-488A-A284-36B6B251EFB9 (resized).jpeg64E7CBE5-8E1A-455D-AFBE-3CA27C96A3CB (resized).jpeg64E7CBE5-8E1A-455D-AFBE-3CA27C96A3CB (resized).jpeg
#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from jbigdoggf:

Myself and another LE owner both had this issue... easy fix and higher scores !!

As a follow up, played a BK on location (and beat my home high score on the first game..DOH), and that machine ALSO had the target issue. Seems like a definite theme!

#1256 4 years ago

Had a ball get stuck up behind the shield. The ball finder did nothing to help. This was a glass-off situation and reset my game (oddly it launched two balls at the same time after the ball finder failed)

EAB9553A-A379-400D-9AEF-FA431B46873D (resized).jpegEAB9553A-A379-400D-9AEF-FA431B46873D (resized).jpeg
#1259 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I didn't had that issue with the Black Knight target, but I noticed the upper playfield Light Locks Target was touching the rubber post. I moved it to the center using the 2 screws on the light locks plastic but it seems after a couple of games, it's starting to lean back toward the rubber post. Still, it's not touching yet. I noticed some screws holding the whole thing located Under the upper PF. It might be worth investigating, maybe they aren't tight enough.[quoted image]

thanks. I’ll be sure to check this, too. I do feel like a lot of times I hit that target and it hasn’t registered. Maybe that’s why.

I’m surprised you could move it via those two screws above it, at all. I’d think it would be the screws mounting the target from below, like most targets.

I’m imagining this is a huge pain to access the below ones though, since this is on the upper playfield?

#1272 4 years ago

Think my mods are all set for now until something else fun comes along. Have not installed the quiet fan yet since it involved more than I had hoped, after reading the instructions.

Unseen are flipper Fidelity 10” kit and shaker

Speaker lights
Orange plastics
Orange flipper buttons
Yellow start button
“Wooden” flipper toppers with gray bands (going for a catapult look) on the two main
Lightning bolt and orange band on the upper
Lockdown bar accent addition
Printed cards
FF19699E-1303-40C7-9F2D-16479FE091D0 (resized).jpegFF19699E-1303-40C7-9F2D-16479FE091D0 (resized).jpegD546B08A-B5BA-4772-9938-115A07005C3E (resized).jpegD546B08A-B5BA-4772-9938-115A07005C3E (resized).jpeg3E53BB34-F424-468C-9383-3E57F1725301 (resized).jpeg3E53BB34-F424-468C-9383-3E57F1725301 (resized).jpegB3183F94-F65B-4DB9-BEF1-95A734396CE9 (resized).jpegB3183F94-F65B-4DB9-BEF1-95A734396CE9 (resized).jpeg

#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Are they the one from PBlife? I want to order them too, but the shipping is Killing me. (37usd to Canada....Seriously)

They are. I think the orange looks fantastic on this machine, which is why I went with them. Shame that shipping is so crazy to Canada.

#1286 4 years ago

FYI their part (although “from stern”) is totally missing the new hole for the post. You have to estimate where it goes and drill it yourself. Also it doesn’t have the washers you need to prevent it from cracking when you torque it down. Luckily I had them handy. I also got the drill location almost spot on so mine is working decently.

#1287 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Already got mine. Stern requires you to go through your distro to get replacement parts. The kit is free. Just call your dealer.

I just called them directly and they sent it with no issues. Figured I’d get the real deal since I had to drill the PBL part myself.

#1307 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

SR has said that he doesn't see a reason to add profanity to a pinball game, so that's out.

This would be the same SR that put F bombs and other profanity deep into AC⚡️DC code lol

#1329 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I like around half the call outs. Most are fine... and I like the acdc homage ones also. I do agree some are a bit lame though but that’s par for the course really. I think the Winston callouts on gb are extremely lame... and that’s from an actual ghostbuster.

What are the AC⚡️DC homage ones?

#1332 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Play better, give me your money

Ah cool, thanks. I had assumed SR did that in all his games

#1338 4 years ago

Anyone really make it to King’s Ransom? I’ve had several really solid games but never get past the K of the second round of KNIGHT. A) by that point you’ve probably had one or two Triple Knights, meaning you have to hit the light lock multiple times to open each shield. B) the second time around you don’t get any spotted letters, so it’s that much harder to complete KNIGHT.

Also, unless I’m missing various other ways you can get numerous letters, realistically, to get 10 letters (4 on the first time and 6 on the second since they aren’t spotted), you’re also going to get to Black Castle.

#1340 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Been to Black Castle multiple times. Defeated the Knight once. Best I have ever gotten was to the G the second time. I really think this needs to be dialed back a bit in the next update. It shouldn't be significantly harder to get to Ransom than to Rage.

Yeah, not sure what could be done but something would be nice. Your experience puts it into perspective.

Hmm, wonder which of my Wizard Modes I’ll never see more, AC⚡️DC or BKSOR!? Lol

#1342 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

There could easily be more thresholds for collecting letters:
-Half way through monster
-Defeat monster
-At least one hit during WAR hurry-up
-Complete WAR hurry-up
-Successful MagnaSave use?
-Super skillshot
-Cash in a certain size (1m+?) Super Modes Jackpot
-X number of U-turns
-X number of jackpots or super jackpot in Triple Knight Challenge and Catapult
(I know some of these are already how you earn them, just putting together a potential full list)
I like that idea better than just spotting more letters. Of course you don't want to be handing out RANSOMs like candy, so likely can't do all of these, but adding a couple more letter earning opportunities could go a long way to making it more obtainable. RETRO seems just right...I wouldn't want that to be easier. So if this was done I would eliminate the initially spotted letters. Or...maybe some of these could only go into affect after RETRO? Lots of possible solutions.

Exactly the way I feel regarding Retro (1 KNIGHT) being the right amount of challenge (granted it’s two letters spotted)

#1343 4 years ago

Can we not post videos to this forum? Got retro KNIGHT mode tonight and the ball just sat in the VUK and it played the fantastic retro music with the “WAR HURRY UP” screen stuck up there. Shook it. Mashed it. Nothing helped. Finally after two minutes it decided to flash the proper black knight retro screen up and eject the VUK. Ugh.

#1345 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have to upload to YouTube then post a link.

Sorry, just realized that this morning and was processing it while you posted!

Here’s the video with description.

Not sure if it was just too much going on that I caused the code to freak out, or if it’s a physical bug or what. I was having Node 9 overcurrent protection but removing and replacing bulbs seems to have cured it for me, so I don’t believe it’s that.

Just FYI, when I was getting red Upper GI overcurrent errors, not only would the upper red lights obviously go out, but also the flame panel and then more mysteriously the shield would act up and not raise when it should be (ie Lock was lit). I don’t understand how that was impacted by node 9 upper GI (CN15) at all.

ANYWAY, check out this oddity

1 week later
#1360 4 years ago

Another heads up and suggestion for preventative maintenance...playing last night and a tiny unpainted round head screw appeared on the center of the play field. Killed the game so it didn’t drop down into the ball return.

Took a good 15 minutes of scouring the field for where the heck this one could have come from and finally found it. It was one of the four screws (two per side) that hold the opto boards for the catapult loader trough! The front two are completely covered by the decorative plastic (ironically one of those is what also fell off on my machine and another I played, when the screws holding that vibrated out). The back two can be seen if you pull the play field out a bit and just look from behind. That’s where I noticed a very tiny threaded hole and a hole in the opto board that looked suspicious.

Took off the plastic over the catapult and sure enough there were the identical screws still in place in the other three spots. I removed all the others and applied loctite and replaced. I’m sure it is only a matter if and not when all those little screws were going to come out. Suggest others do the same.

#1368 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I had one screw and one washer hanging around on the upper playfield. Never found where they are supposed to go. Any ideas?

first post a picture of it

#1389 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

ive noticed an issue with my Le just seeing if anyone else has had this problem or maybe its a code/bug thing.
Whilst playing, the game randomly seems to starting flashing (like a boot up node sequence when game is first turned on) not anything to do with normal lighting effects, sometimes after it does that I'm missing a row of red gi and sometimes the shield optos stop working. Weirdly enough when I start a new game the issue goes away. the shield optos always work in test mode as do does the lighting. I'm thinking a bum node board. Any ideas would be welcome?

Oh wow. This has been exactly my problem for weeks. Please call Pat in tech support at stern and talk to him tomorrow. Make sure to get him and not another tech. He will know about this as I’ve had about 50 emails and a couple hours on the phone about it.

Next step we are trying is to replace ALL upper GI bulbs but I have my doubts that it’ll fix it.

Mine fails anywhere between 5 and 60 minutes. 90% of the time the red upper GI goes out and the shield fails. 9% of the time the lights just flash but they don’t fail, but the shield does fail. 1% of the time the white upper GI will fail along with the shield.

Like you said, a new game, or even a new ball will fix the shield temporarily. Also holding the ball in a cradle in one flipper for 30 seconds and hitting the other flipper will reset the shield node signal.

I’ve found that when the GIs fail, it does store and Overcurrent protection. This can be seen under Tech Alerts in the service menu, and also under the Node bus test on Node 9 (it flashes to tell you there’s a problem). When you run the test, it flashes the lights and clears the problem. Obviously you need to pull the 48v safety switch when you open the cabinet door to be able to see the Overcurrent error.

For what it’s worth I already swapped node 8 and node 9 boards and it didn’t do anything to help. So it’s not a node board issue.

I don’t have the replacement bulbs yet but my distributor is coming over tomorrow to try and see the issue and see if he can fix anything.

FYI I started a thread about this under the tech forum for modern games, too.

Please report back with what you find out from stern and what path you’re taking.

So frustrating as it’s really ruining the fun of this awesome game for me.

#1419 4 years ago

FYI I had my top catapult plastic crack right where the balls flip up and into the trough. Seems likely to happen given the whipping impact right there.

Called stern and was told to email a picture and my info. Never heard back after I sent it yesterday. I assume they’ll send me a new one but it could be a continued issue in the future.

#1420 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I called my distro. He suspects power spike or surge from a failing flasher or gi or like the problem they had with Ghostbusters where the flasher was pressing against the metal rail I think causing problems. He didn't think it was a node board.
He suggested to test lighting and flashers first and all coils. He also told me to do a factory reset and reinstall code.
We will get to the bottom of it as the distro is quite knowledgeable and has a couple of guys that really know what they are doing. I'm not too concerned. Always ends up being something small and eventually gets sorted. I love this game so I'm still playing it regardless I'll post again to keep you updated also.

Thanks for the update. Went bulb by bulb with my tech/Distro yesterday and we didn’t find anything. Right now I have CN15 on node 9 disconnected (cn15 controls the upper GIs. There are 6 wires on it. 2 for the red 2 for the white and 2 unused). It has not errored out after an hour of play, which I suspected would be the case.

Assuming that continues, my next step is to just pull the red GI pins out of CN15 and plug it back in. I suspect it still won’t error. Then I will clip the pins back in and replace all of the upper GI bulbs and retest. If it goes back to failing, it means meticulously digging in wire by wire and it’s going to suck lol.

#1429 4 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

I have the same issue and been going through the game searching for a short. Narrowed it down to white upper GI. But, no visible issue with the bulb sockets and swapped all the bulbs. Still trying to hunt it down. Please post if you find the issue...

So a third person now.

Please call Pat at Stern tech support. They need to know that this isn’t an isolated issue.

John1210, also. I know you have your distributor to work with, but Pat needs to be made aware, as the head tech.

Worst case, we need to press for new machines. It is absurd to expect owners to waste countless hours chasing a gremlin on a brand new $8k machine

#1430 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. It's a pain when it's something small causing the problem. Keep me updated if you can.
I did a recode and after around 12 games I've only had the shield stop working once. The gi hasn't cut out again which is a good sign so far. Still not sure what is causing the shield opto to cut out mid ball. Is your shield still having problems?

Unfortunately I don’t know that what you’re seeing is very promising. When mine fails, it will half the time not impact the GI and half the time it does. I would be genuinely shocked if recoding it fixes this issue since it is voltage/current related. To me, that solution is the equivalent of a computer tech asking you to restart the thing and see if it fixes it. Except here you get the bonus of losing all your high scores, too.

I was pretty confident that with CN15 on 9 disconnected, I was not going to ever have the error (played a good 2 hours). So I plugged it back in last night (with all pins still in the plug, just for fun). Played about an hour and no errors yet. I’m sure just typing this will jinx that and it’ll do it next game lol.

I’ll keep you guys posted. I bet more people will pile on soon with this, above and beyond the 3 we have already.

#1431 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

These, they were lying between the catapult and the curve metal rail.[quoted image]

95% sure that’s an opto board screw from
Inside the catapult. Take off the outer plastic (four screws on top) of the catapult and look on the front and back of it. Should be two screws in each board. Bet you’re missing one. If so, remove all the rest, Loctite and replace all 4.

#1448 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Ive watched a lot of videos and spoken with owners. That upper pf just looks more frustrating than fun. Plus I like all of the pro art better than the other models but this is just my opinion.

It’s a major part of the game that it really would be missing something without. Not only is it a really fun skill shot, but of course the catapult Multiball, and also the shield target counts as a monster hit. Also 6 ball multiball is crazy fun.

#1460 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

To me, it's more of a one trick pony WITH the upper PF. Why would you ever bother with the lower pf shots when you can progress battles with one target in the upper (thereby sucking all uniqueness out of the battles), and start multiball up there? The upper completely takes over the game, and just isn't much fun to shoot in my opinion. Plus you lose one of the best combo shots in pinball...the ramp to shield lock backhand. Sooooo good.
Great game either way, but I'm glad we have options!

But, you gain a combo shot (hopefully an official combo shot in future code) that is one of the best I’ve experienced. Main knight ramp to the upper flipper, into the catapult ramp for a lock.

Personally, I wouldn’t be opposed to a code change that allows only one monster mode “hit” on the upper PF target, rather than unlimited. I find it more fun to go after the lit lower monster shots rather than constantly going up top, but it is arguably easier to do that, like you said. Limiting the upper shield to one hit would ensure the real lower shots get used most of the time.

1 week later
#1489 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

BKSOR LE issues update - So after a recode the gi issue disappeared but was still left with the shield and flail sometimes cutting out midball and not working.... The game would go into think mode for a few seconds and one or the other or both wouldn't work.
My distributor sent me a capacitor which plugs into CN 6 and problem is now fixed... had a bunch of games with zero issues. Still not sure what the GI cutting out issue was but haven't seen it since my recode.

can you elaborate on the capacitor for CN6? Was this his idea? Stern’s instruction?

After checking all of the upper red GI bulbs and sockets the other week, I went a good 50+ games with no issues. Thought maybe something was just touching or not seated correctly and messing with each bulb and socket might have fixed it. Then last night I got the red upper GI failure and shield failure. Argh! So frustrating.

This problem, as you well know, is such a pain to diagnose because you can go days and days and many games before it happens again. Very tough to troubleshoot. I wouldn’t count the capacitor addition as a success just yet, until you get a week or more of plenty of games on it. Crossing fingers for you, though.

I’m going to replace all the upper red GI bulbs and see if that helps.

#1492 4 years ago

So I have had a second top plastic for the catapult crack. This is a few hours after replacing the first one that cracked. Very frustrating. Especially considering that the top and side plastics are riveted together from the factory, and it was a huge pain to replace it since stern mailed me only the top and not the two pieces assembled.

I made 100% sure not to over tighten any of the four screws. In fact I stopped the instant I felt the screws slow down.

This is going to be a real issue as the cracks grow and the plastic gets more brittle and crumbles apart.

18D4A612-0AAD-4A70-9E42-CB1A7C128CA3 (resized).jpeg18D4A612-0AAD-4A70-9E42-CB1A7C128CA3 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1511 4 years ago

So no one else has cracked the catapult upper plastic? (Walk around to the side...cracks are almost invisible from playing position). I’ve cracked two now. Seems like a design issue.

And by the way, to replace it is a huge pain in the butt. Involves drilling out digits and getting creative with the brackets to use screws that don’t interfere with the opto boards. Not a quick job.

#1522 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I've checked mine closely after seeing your post and I have no sign of cracking whatsoever... bout 200 plays in on my LE. Your issue would seem more of an isolated issue than design flaw... at this stage anyway. I would try larger washers... also think of flipper strength possibly? I reduced my upper flipper power from day 1. The balls trajectory and speed may being doing it. Just some thoughts.

Interesting. I first thought it was over tightening on my part. Frankly, plastics and screws were falling out left and right on mine (including the freaking opto board screw underneath the catapult plastic), so I had to loctite and resecure most every screw I have access to.

Anyway, after the top Catapult plastic cracked once and I made the huge effort to replace it by drilling the rivets, etc, I made VERY sure to just barely barely snug those top four screws. Sure enough, cracked again.

I’ve wondered whether washers underneath would also help, in addition to the top ones? Also curious if tiny rubber washers would help below the “Star” washer that’s on there from the factory (it’s the kind that “grabs” and helps the screws not back out).

Still no word back from stern after over 10 days.

#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

This capacitor fixed all the issues I had with gi and shield flail problems. Since installed zero issues in 2 weeks of play. I know there are a few other le owners with similar problem occurring. This has definitely fixed it. Was sent from my distro.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very interesting. Glad it has seemed to work!
Mind PM’ing me the details of the distributor, name of a contact there etc?

When I contacted stern and asked them about a cap solution, they shot it down and said that was only for a certain few older games.

I’m sure this will jinx it now, but I did go through and replace all red upper GI bulbs (a solid hour+ job), and so far for about a week I’ve been ok.

#1573 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Finally found a pro with the help of a fellow pinsider. How do people feel about a shaker in it? Meh? or F Yeah?

Definitely. Magnasave massive shaking is awesome along with all the other monster fights and knight battle hits etc.

#1592 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

And this came with your game? I wonder if Stern will send me one.

It comes in the bag with the manual and plastics and all.

#1608 4 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

-EDIT- I read through a search in this forum for it, and will see if the post by Steve R. helps mine out.
Ok, I just got mine unboxed tonight with help from a good friend - I have read the manual, done some web searches, but cannot find mention of the white plastic "protector" (I don't know what to call it) underneath the top right flipper.
It's a solid white piece, protecting a hole in the upper PF... what the reason for that hole was I know not.... Is it something that is supposed to come out?
The reason I ask this is that it seriously impacts the free movement of that flipper.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

yours is missing the white nylon piece? I thought some were missing a washer, not that whole piece. It’s there to prevent the ball from possibly sticking behind the flipper. Brilliant little design

#1626 4 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Hi all
Thought I would share..
We just finished these and they look Killer in the game..

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/black-knight-powerbladez
Thanks!
Joe

Looks very nice!

#1627 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Ok SOR owners I’m considering a LE
Great price in the box. One of my favorites is AC/DC which I play all the time. How does this compare ? Haven’t had a chance to play one yet
Thanks

I have both. Completely different games and they don’t step on each other’s toes.

Hard to compare since they’re so different. AC⚡️DC is tough to beat for a total package and amazingly deep code. BK is tough to best for action and clear objectives.

2 weeks later
#1792 4 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

mathazar - thanks for this list. I just picked up a NIB LE that has a May 2019 build date, so I'm fearing that I'll need to do all of this on my machine as well. One other question I've got - did you also install an add-on capacitor harness that addresses some GI lighting and shield flailing issues? I've read about this earlier in this thread (see post #1569 - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/32#post-5306113) and was curious if you had this installed as well? If so, do you have a Stern part number for it?
Thanks.

FYI, knock on wood, replacing EVERY upper GI bulb solved my error and she issues with node board 8. Either was a bad bulb or a whacky wire that got “fixed” by jostling things around changing bulbs.

Anyway, I ended up not needing the capacitor, at least after a solid month of testing.

#1800 4 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

Thanks for that mathazar - greatly appreciate the insight. I've sent a note over to Stern and am awaiting to hear back on getting those parts.

ezatnova - that's good to hear, but it seems a bit odd that it would be required. Did you swap out for all new LED bulbs, or did you pull them all, do a rotation and then install the stern-supplied bulbs back (but with different bulbs in different sockets)?

All new bulbs.

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I remedied it by throwing them in the trash.

You threw out Cliffies?!

#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Epic game (at least for me) last night....a new personal best after owning the machine for 2.5 weeks. Took about 40 minutes and along the way had at least 8 Catapult multiballs, 4 Triple Knights multiballs, and 2 retro multiballs (after spelling KNIGHT for the second time, I finally got to see that second retro Kings Ransom multiball!). And...I made it to Black Castle/Rage multiball only to drain everything in a few seconds. Playing 6-ball multiball for several minutes in a row sure does a number on the wrists & fingers![quoted image]

I think that’s a really good game. Funny, I got 475m soon after I got my Premium and really didn’t know what I was doing. Just bashing around to keep the balls alive. Now that I “know” what I should be doing (Cannon MB...load the catapult during it for X bonuses, triple knight MB, and monster fighting), my really good games are around 200m.

Twice now I have gotten to the LAST monster and beaten it. Then, with the “finishing” shots against the flail/knight target/shield, I end up draining. Tough when you need 5 to progress after beating that last monster. In fact, what happened to me one of those times was EXACTLY what happened to Deadflip here at 2:21:30 into this clip. LAST shot to access Black Castle and it drained off the flail. My reaction was basically identical too, but louder lol.

I have never spelled knight twice. Closest I got was 9 letters (missing the T for the second spelling).

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Looks like a screw from the middle flat part of a ramp, possibly from a plastic.

the ones on the ramp are flat head, to lay flush.

Most of the plastics ones don’t have a star lock washer in them, since having to tighten it down enough to use that style washer would not bode well for the plastic.

I’ll take a look around on mine and see if I have any ideas. I know I’ve taken off at least one of them like that, in some work I was doing.

#1828 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Update on the second issue above - I took apart the upper flipper stack last night and discovered that the washer is actually present on my system, but in the *wrong place*. The stack is supposed to go, from the top down, flipper bat==>plastic apron==>washer==>nylon bushing==>clear plastic spacer but on my machine it was flipper bat==>washer==>plastic apron==>nylon bushing==>clear plastic spacer. So the washer part was there, but in the wrong position in the stack (and in fact, pushing the plastic apron even further down under the upper playfield cut-out for the flipper). After I put the stack in the correct order, the ball no longer gets stuck in that spot behind the flipper.
As for the third issue above, it hasn't happened but once in the last two dozen games or so and when it did happen, all it took was a light nudge to get it unstuck. Since the upper playfield will have to be removed to get access to it, I think I'm going to put this one off until the first cleaning/waxing session.
One other thing - when I lifted the playfield to get access to the flipper stack, I heard the unmistakable sound of a screw rolling/falling to the top of the playfield and bouncing off into the cabinet. I found it, but I can't figure out where it goes. I spent the better part of 30 minutes combing over the topside of the playfield with my bifocals and a flashlight, but I still can't tell where it came from. There aren't any screws like this at all on the underside of the playfield, so I'm sure it came from topside. Here's a picture....does anyone know where this short, steel, philips head with a washer screw might go?[quoted image]

Ok, went over my machine and here’s where I see that type of screen that you have loose. There may be a couple more I just can’t see. Hope this helps.

445C08B0-EC8E-4414-A814-266D04765A4B (resized).jpeg445C08B0-EC8E-4414-A814-266D04765A4B (resized).jpeg
#1835 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Thanx so much for going all-out with the annotated photo - much appreciated! I printed it out and will be going over my machine tonight after the family goes to bed.

You’re welcome. The post after mine reminded me that I did forget the two that attach the knight’s shield, but your screw looks shorter than those two, so I doubt it’s one of them.

#1836 4 years ago

Saw on Cliffy’s page that a BKSOR protector kit is “in development”. Anyone know if any of his shooter lane protectors would fit? I’d like to get the lane protected ASAP. Not as much concerned about the VUKs and whatnot, but the lane gets hammered given the number of multiballs, last chance, etc etc.

Anyway I didn’t see a generic Stern Spike shooter lane protector on his page.

#1838 4 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I bought a Cliffy set for my Black Knight months ago they're available. Just contact him.

thanks. Sent him an email. Did you install the full pack? If so how bad are the others besides shooter lane to install? It was not pleasant on my AC⚡️DC lol

#1852 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I've got a new behavior 70 games into ownership - one side of the flail is touching the ramp when it spins. Neither the flail, the rod/axle, or the Black Knight himself appear loose and there is no play in the mechanism. I've examined it pretty closely....I was hoping that the "missing" screw mentioned in my previous post above was the culprit but all the screws on the Black Knight mechanism are present and tight.
Here's a video of what I'm talking about - the "tick tick tick" you're hearing is one of the flail balls touching the ramp as it spins. Is this happening to anyone else:

wow, that’s crazy. Sure would think it would be related to the missing screw since I don’t see how that could just start out of nowhere. That’s a shame. I know it’s frustrating not finding that screw missing either. Unfortunately it may be from “under” or “in” something. I had a random tiny screw show up on mine and it ended up being under the plastics for the catapult, and it was one of the opto board screws...not good!

Not sure what’s up with this machine, but I’ve had to go through and loc-tite a TON on it, and I’ve had 3-4 screws randomly show up on the playfield. I’ve owned my AC⚡️DC vault for a year longer and NEVER had a single loose screw or anything on it. And both machines have shakers.

1 week later
#1928 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Dude I'm looking right at your photo and don't see where it goes so good on you

number 37, but maybe he put it back in? Can’t see the second screw behind the ramp rail.

#1933 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That's not completely underwhelming but I'm not feeling very whelmed over here.

Doesn’t seem likely for any real content additions like monsters or modes, which isn’t shocking but also a bit of a shame.

There IS still hope for the Premium/LE to get some upper playfield goodness though, since these are only Pro notes!

#1936 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I pray for that too. At least something interesting to do with the upper pf "loops". I notice last time I played that I could perform "reverse" loops. Maybe there's something cool to do with that too.
Also, I remember when they were showcasing GB code update, they demontrated a way to "reboot" the game by holding start button and left flipper for 3 sec. I hope this is part of the firmware update too.

That’s in there already. You can turn it on in the settings.

#1942 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

So even though the game has "kill the monster" style modes there still are not any dramatic endings as a reward for finally beating them? Seems terribly anti-climatic and disappointing. How can this be the case?
Maybe during play it's not that important as there doesn't seem to be that many complaints or comments about it. I'm out of the loop as I haven't had a chance to play it.

How is Black Castle not a dramatic end for beating them? Not to mention BK Retro and BK2000 Retro that come along with gaining the letters from beating them.

Couldn’t disagree more, having played hundreds of games on it. Most intense machine I’ve ever played and it is crazy trying to beat each successive monster.

#1951 4 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

I'm usually too focused on trying not to drain to see any of the final screens I think a couple of monster specific call outs to conclude a mode would be enough.

Exactly. That’s why I’m still a fan of the DMD. Good enough pins mean any normal player isn’t looking at the screen except when a multiball is loading or a ball is drained. Make the games good, not the screen.

#1952 4 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Personally I would like to see a setting where he doesn't backpedal until you've defeated him at least once.

Personally, I’d like to defeat him once. LOL

I think I’m a pretty decent player. Couple hundred games on it. Farthest I’ve gotten is the last monster “reset” (the bunch of shots you need to move on to the next thing). And that was with two extra balls. Sadly I don’t see that it’s feasible for me to really fight him much less beat him once.

#1960 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I can't stand protectors that change the color of the plastics. Clear is the only way that I roll.

The orange ones look amazing on this playfield. Matches perfectly.

#1961 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Really? Any idea what the setting is called. I'll turn that on immediatly. It happens that a second player is added and I have no idea why.

Added Standard Adjustment "ALLOW LEFT+START TO END GAME". Values are:
"NEVER", "FREE PLAY ONLY", and "ALWAYS". Default value is "NEVER".
During an active game, if the the LEFT FLIPPER+START BUTTONs are held for
two seconds, the game will be ended

#1965 4 years ago

Whelp, officially no mention of code in the January stern of the union. Not good.

#1977 4 years ago

Glad I’m clearly not the only one who feels like WAR is a trap and instant death lol.

Anyway, hard to believe the default settings on the new code will make it even tougher to beat monsters. I think most will be changing the setting to Easy, to keep it the same as things are today.

#1983 4 years ago

Just thinking out loud. Maybe one idea for another small multiball would be a 2-ball for filling the rage sword and then hitting the Power center target during a monster mode?

#1986 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Now that would be awesome! Never thought of it, but yes! That would add some nice strategy, risk/reward, and more strong reason to shoot the right side of the playfield.

Thanks. Yeah just a two ball so nothing crazy, but it would help get those new increased monster hits, and not drain instantly on a WAR if you happen to have it going during the monster mode, and both would contribute to those valuable KNIGHT letters.

#1995 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

The left saucer collection method becomes out of your control particularly in mb when you have a super running and don't want to stop it, too easy to accidently hit the saucer which ends the super... like Jack danger said on his premium live stream it's a real bummer. It's not a good rule.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Sorry I’m not picturing what you mean happens here. To me, when there is a Multiball, the left drop always is up (drops and instantly fires back up), so the saucer is inaccessible during the multiball.

#2001 4 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

You can only activate it during a battle with a monster (by hitting the target directly below the Black Knight).
It makes the shots in the battle worth more and the mode easier to complete. If you're going to use it in a battle, always best to make it the first shot of the monster battle as once you activate it, you will lose it once the mode completes or you drain.

Had a freakishly good game going today (two TKCs, three CMBs, and retro black knight). Was fighting the final monster before black castle, on ball three. That power Target was flashing it’s beautiful blue at me, so I figured sure, why not make this last monster quick and easy!? So, I nailed that target...boom, SDTM. Bye bye.

#2004 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

In retro multiball where the supers are worth a bunch the drop target lowers.

Thanks. For some reason I didn’t think you had to manually collect supers in retro. Maybe because the drop is down and I keep collecting them (and ending them) without realizing. When I get retro, I basically concentrate on spinner->knight target to keep activating the high jackpots.

2 weeks later
#2055 4 years ago

Guys, they said the code would be out in time for Christmas*, ok? Enough is enough.

*Christmas 2022

#2059 4 years ago
Quoted from gkralicek:

Nope Steve Ritchie said they HOPED they could release the topper along with the code for x-mas 2019 (which wasn't the case obviously).
Stern never made any formal announcement.

You’re right. They only make formal announcements over orange records.

#2068 4 years ago

FINALLY got black castle mode today! Figured I’d fire it up for one quick game...40 minutes and 543M points later, I finally got to that mode! Loved the music for it too. Completed the first segment with the three center shots, then drained after a couple of the second segment. Seems pretty brutal to have to go through ALL the monsters again completely just to go at it again.

I was also one shot away from retro 2000 mode, so that’s a bummer. Had the second round of KNIGHT all lit when my 6th ball drained. Never had 3 extra balls before, either.

#2069 4 years ago

Anyone find any video of black castle mode? I’ve popped through all of the dead flip videos and some others but haven’t seen anyone get it. Now that I’ve “achieved“ it, I want to see it better and I won’t feel like it’s a spoiler for me.

On a related note, that one dead flip video cracked me up where he got to the final monster “clear” shots and drained two separate times. Basically last shot or two away from castle mode.

#2072 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I made one a while ago on my LE just to show some guys

Thanks. I also want to see someone beat it. A) like the song as far as I’ve heard it (I only lasted about 2X longer than you did there) and B) curious what type of points it’s worth.

There’s one guy who posts scores in the billion+ range on here for the Premium (he’s the only one ahead of me...but with like 18 scores), so maybe he’s beating black castle and it’s worth like 300M+

#2080 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Finally made it to the Black Knight ! I got the first three shots and then lost control and it drained down the Outlane
Oh well next time !!! This game is fun not sure what all the fuss is about

Funny. Exact same with me. Finally got there yesterday and drained after those three shots.

Tempted to go glass off now so I can enjoy that awesome song again and admire the purple-ness lol

#2102 4 years ago
Quoted from November:

The black castle sequence continues if you drain the ball ?

No. You start over. It’s a flaw in the game IMHO to have it be that arduous to get there and then have one single ball for 20 (I think?) precision shots with no multiball or ball save, or you have to completely start over.

#2104 4 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

When I said "It's a long road back" I was only thinking about having to start a new game and work towards it again. I'd have been shattered to find on my next ball I was back at the start again.
Tim posted this to his Instagram story earlier today:
[quoted image]
What's in that beta code feature wise - who knows. I'd assume most of the stuff from INDISC and maybe a few other things? If the code is in BETA, then a 1.0X update hopefully isn't far away. Not sure if that means the topper release is also close.

yeah it’s sort of crazy. At a minimum the game should continue battling the night in black castle mode if you have more balls left. That said, I bet the number of people who make it that far and have balls remaining are few and far between. I know I got three extra balls in my one successful journey there, and it was on that sixth ball that I activated it and then drained.

Apparently, the new code will make it even HARDER to make it to castle mode, which also seems ridiculous. It adds two more shots to each monster in the default setting. Seems like it’ll almost be mandatory to go in and change it to Easy.

#2121 4 years ago

No mention of the code whatsoever. Gonna be a while. Also love how the link they put for the topper leads to a blank white page. Seems about fitting. Lol

#2125 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Hilarious i know. Should of just been a link to a pic of a middle finger.

Next month they’ll put a link to new code but it’ll go to a rickroll video

#2132 4 years ago

just a tip if you haven’t done this already, go through all your plastics and little black screws. Many will likely be loose. Also lock tite them. Don’t forget to open up the catapult plastics and lock tite the little screws holding in the opto boards. Those really suck when they come out and get lost in the playfield.

#2136 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

The Pro needs a two ball multiball, like the orig. BK had.

The pro needs an upper playfield like the original BK had.

I kid, I kid.

#2144 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

The pro is great and holds its own but I'm a huge advocate for the upper pf.... it adds so much to the game and strategy.
I put the bad wrap it gets simply down to not understanding how it works and understanding how to shoot it.
The sky-loop shot is pure fun... I've hit it 4 in a row I think is my best but it also has huge points value as you progress and boasts monster scores.
The lock shot is satisfying to hit as is the catapult lock shot. Again it's all about understanding how it works and how to shoot it... I've said before... that early stern stream where the upper playfield was played like totally shit and also how it wasn't explained didn't help the game at all. I don't think I could ever see myself settling with a pro of this game... and I usually always get pros.

Well said. Yeah that flail ramp -> catapult combo shot is even better than nailing that bell in AC⚡️DC. So rewarding feeling and even sounding. The metal ramp and then Ca-THUNK...into the catapult

#2162 4 years ago
Quoted from gasface:

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to remove the apron? Specifically, I'm trying to make my way toward the graphics/inserts under the plexiglass? I have a chance to meet Scott Ian this week and was hoping to have him sign my game. My plan is to remove the card to have him sign it, but the remove seems easier said than done.

Comes off super easy. Few screws/nuts that are pretty clear once you prop the field up.

#2172 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Game Specific Feature 110. I just played one game on it to see what it is. It is a very generic, but not bad, orchestral type of score. It lacks any of the personality or oomph of the real soundtrack, but I'll spend some time on it today during my stream to see if maybe some of the modes have some good stuff added in. It definitely felt tacked on from what I could tell.
It will make a great addition for all the soft boys who are afraid to worship at the altar of anthrax.

Crap, I was hoping it was just a different selection of songs from Ian. Shame they didn’t enable a jukebox mode like AC⚡️DC. That black castle song is so great but oh so tough to get to and hear lol.

The super collection change seems crazy. Wonder what prompted that? I guess the buildup of the jackpot changed too, right? I think, before, we had to hit the knight target to activate and then the left drop target to boost?

#2173 4 years ago

The sound settings seem really in depth now. Would be nice if the big speaker vendors like flipper Fidelity and pinball pro would publish ideal settings for the new EQ and/or sound settings.

Then again, personally I found the FF recommended settings flat and tinny on my BKSOR so I had to bump the bass way up on most settings to get it more “full”.

#2185 4 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

Can’t wait to install it later! Do you have to pick soundtrack or can you set it to play randomly?

Setting 110, I believe. One or the other.

#2194 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I talked about it in my stream today, but overall this code is a big improvement, however I still feel like the risk vs. the reward of the supers is just not there to make it worth it. Losing all progress on your supers from a drain is bad enough, but losing it while using the magnasave just doesn't make any sense to me. I love that you can build up all the supers at once, but handicapping the player to say "well, if you are buildings supers, never use magnasave" is a bad move imo. I would like to see a setting for this: the magnasave removes *some* progress from your supers (say you are at tier 4, it puts you down to tier 3, or maybe it removes one of your supers but not all) and potentially even the same thing from a drain. Currently, you can spend an entire ball unlocking and building up all your supers and if you have a bad bounce and use magnasave, you lose all of that progress. I just don't really understand the thought process behind so thoroughly punishing the player when that center shot to unlock the super is such a risky shot already.

I get the impression that the change was more so due to the Pro because of the clunky manner of activating the super jackpot cash in. I agree, in the Prem/LE it really makes things an unfortunate gamble that takes things out of your hands if you need to save the ball. The left drop and then left VUK was at least all skill.

#2196 4 years ago

Scoring seem nerfed overall to anyone else? Just played two stellar games in a row and got nowhere near a high score.

Last game I had:

- 4 catapult MB
- 2 TK MB
- retro MB
- 2 WAR hurry ups
- 5 monsters beat
- 2 extra balls

Only 304M. Feels like that would have been high 400’s if not 500 on the last code.

In positive news, the knight letters seem a little easier to get. Only got 9 letters in 300 games prior, and tonight got 10 (yet missed that shot to see BK2000 for the first time).

Other thoughts:

- alternate music is nice to have. Not nearly the adrenaline burst of the real music but it’s decent and a fun change for a little bit.

- I THINK I like the new lower standard sling kick strength setting a little better? Less frantic firing back and forth between them.

- I set my backpedaling to infrequent but he wimped out pretty quickly lol

#2201 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Play it some more to be sure. Your stellar games may very well have compelled him to wimp out quickly because you showed him no mercy.

True lol. It was about the second or third monster where he asked to have a beer.

Quick clarification question on Retro Multiball (the first KNIGHT one). When you’re activating supers by hitting the spinner and then the center target...all those points earned are instant, right? You don’t need to activate the super jackpot (now the magnasave right return lane) to earn them, right? It’s just a black screen with a retro logo and score, so I figured it was instant and not points you have to unlock through the super jackpot, right?

#2212 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

as said on YT, nice played & tanx for sharing

that was a good game! So many balls that always drain down the left outlane on mine...but I think I spy some posts set to narrow the lanes if I zoom in on the video! Lol still a great game though. Saved a lot of center drains.

#2227 4 years ago

Ok, I give up. What does the skeleton knight guy say when you hit the super skill shot? I’ve listened about 20 times and still can’t make it out. “What did someone do with my chair!?”

#2242 4 years ago

Just noticed tonight that my catapult looks odd. I think the very weak welds may have let loose, as the metal bits look improperly separated. It flops around a bit. Still seems to work but I don’t know that it’s right. I imagine this will be an unpleasant conversation with Stern since this won’t be cheap, and this is on a 5 month old machine.

B9F57588-114F-4B6E-B0D3-1F8B2E2556FB (resized).jpegB9F57588-114F-4B6E-B0D3-1F8B2E2556FB (resized).jpegF9156697-C525-4A99-871F-B58F17041AB4 (resized).jpegF9156697-C525-4A99-871F-B58F17041AB4 (resized).jpeg
#2245 4 years ago
Quoted from gasface:

Try listening again with the knowledge that the character is named Butcher. He says something like “who throw ball at Butcher?”

I did finally hear that last night. I think what threw me off is the “impeded” speech. I think he is saying “hey, who dropped big ball on butcher!?”

Maybe Butcher is the one who smashed the welds on my catapult!

#2264 4 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I've had my game since May and just recently it's been making a clicking noise that is coming from the catapult area. It only does it when no one is playing and not all the time. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Don

I assume it isn’t the lock pin retracting and resetting?

My only thought is if it’s the lock pin, maybe an opto is messed up and the game things there is a ball still in the catapult? It ejects all the balls when the game ends, so if it’s thinking there’s one in there, it might keep activating that pin.

One way to test it a bit would be to unplug one or both optos up there. I’m guessing unplugging they main harness clip up at the catapult on the right side would stop the sound, but it’s one way to guarantee it’s the catapult making the noise.

#2265 4 years ago

For the last few evenings of extended play, I am feeling like my right flipper is struggling a bit. Even with a perfect shot, the ball BARELY has enough oomph to get up the flail ramp. It will even disappear for over a second and JUST creep into view and plunk down on the upper field.

It’s not like the issue many of us had where it’s hit almost too hard that it bangs back and comes back down the ramp. This is making it up smoothly but is just seems weak.

The coil does feel really hot but I’m guessing that’s normal with 10-20 games in a row.

The flipper doesn’t look sloppy or saggy when pressed or unpressed so I’m not sure it’s a coil stop issue. Other than the coil stop being obviously broken, is there another good way to double check that? Naturally, I do have lots of copper fairy dust from the coil stops all in the bottom of the cabinet below each coil.

The issue does seem to get better the next day when the machine starts cold.

#2268 4 years ago
Quoted from EilersPark:

Anyone else move the outlane posts? I moved mine down, which I assumed would make it harder to drain, but it seems to me that they drain easier, especially the right one. I'd be curious to hear anyone else's feedback.

It should definitely make it harder to drain. I saw video a page or two back where the guy had it moved down on both sides and it saved a ton of balls that would be dead on my factory set one.

Personally, I don’t think BKSOR is a lethal setup with them in the middle stock setting. On AC⚡️DC, I had to move them to the lower post hole. It was just killer with them in the factory spot.

1 week later
#2318 4 years ago

Any tips on dismantling the catapult from the upper playfield? Stern sent me a new one (just the main bare metal part) since mine is broken.

It sure looks like I’ll need to get the upper playfield up in the air, which I’ve never done. I just can’t see getting to some of the attaching nuts towards the rear, without doing that. Ugh.

#2321 4 years ago

Repaired (replaced) my catapult and what a difference! So crisp and snappy now when shots go in. The broken welds gave up 20-30% of the energy of the shots going in, it seems.

Overall the job wasn’t bad but I snapped one of the long hex posts that hold on the upper field.

FYI if this happens to anyone, you can use a simple screw in its place and it works perfectly fine.

Also IMPORTANT, check under plastic # 33 on the left side of the upper field. Likely you are missing a securing screw for the upper field like I was. Add another screw in there and it really tightens down the upper field.

Pics of Sir Charles and I rocking out to my fixed up game, along with my broken catapult.

5F57C039-9E2C-4F74-B283-421AA1601942 (resized).jpeg5F57C039-9E2C-4F74-B283-421AA1601942 (resized).jpeg678EFD95-2D51-48D0-A89B-19C177EAB13F (resized).jpeg678EFD95-2D51-48D0-A89B-19C177EAB13F (resized).jpeg7037DE42-1FB1-4644-88B2-5124A77A625C (resized).jpeg7037DE42-1FB1-4644-88B2-5124A77A625C (resized).jpeg
#2343 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Just pulled my premium off route after 9 months and 7000 plays. Replaced the upper playfield as it was pretty cloudy and had to reweld the catapult ramp as 6 welds (3 on each side) were broken towards the entrance. There is a small divot in the ramp directly under the spinning flail. That pretty much started right away.
Other than that, it held up pretty well.[quoted image]

if you don’t mind, please contact stern and tell tech about your broken catapult welds. I told them about mine and they said it isn’t a widespread issue. FYI I did get a replacement...see a few posts back where I included pics.

#2362 4 years ago

Going out on a limb that the 6 ball multiballs, smacking into a spinning flail, VUK’s kicking the balls, and whipping into a metal catapult on the UPF all have a lot more to do with shortening ball life than rolling over a ramp that had a bumpy weld.

1 week later
#2376 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

While under house arrest, I spent about 3 hours installing plastic protectors and Cliffys throughout the game.
This game isn’t very difficult to shop, just time consuming. There was zero wear after 1300 plays at the two VUKs, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend taking the time to install Cliffys in those locations.
The only disaster was literally the last thing I re-installed. I overtightened a hex spacer and broke the thread. Other than that, the game is looking nice and protected!

Ugh. Why do they make those stupid hex post screws so weak? Snapped one of mine too. Luckily found a proper bolt that fit the threads exactly and works even better.

#2377 4 years ago
Quoted from Postmortem:

I love the new code. I just really really wish that it didn't end the mode I'm in if I start knight multiball in the middle of a mode. It's more of a punishment if you're trying to get to the black knight. I wish it would just put the mode on hold and continue the mode after the multiball has ended.

Totally agree. Makes you avoid the cool retro knight.

#2378 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Had a killer game last night, first time breaking a billion and finally hit RANSOM. Such a fun mode! Just wish it was a little more accessible. Was able to battle the Knight again in the Black Castle which is always a good time. This is the first time I have done it on anything other than my last ball, and was a bit disappointed to see the fight does not carry over to your next ball like all the other battles do. No RAGE for me. Would be nice to see this be a setting in the future (or maybe it is and I never noticed it??)....kind of like Jericho on Iron Man. Either way...it always feels great to get this deep on such a brutal game.
[quoted image]

Wow. Holy cow. Any general summary of how you got that score?

Totally agree that it’s crap that the final fight doesn’t continue if you have balls left.

1 week later
#2411 4 years ago

Sorry for the dense question but if I want to order a topper now, a) is that even possible (ie are they long gone) and b) where’s a good easy place to order from? Anywhere online or do I have to call around? Just thinking with COVID that places could be all messed up.

I don’t really have a true distributor (I buy my machines from a local pinball gallery and he gets them from stern but he isn’t a true big “distributor” that has parts available etc).

I saw mention of a distributor a page or so back but it was some abbreviation, I think.

Anyway, hoping for some guidance. Think I’m ready to pull the trigger on one.

Thanks!

#2424 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I have a feeling the BK toppers are dried up until after the shutdown is over. Long after. I realize Stern has a topper department, but still it will be all hands on deck getting games out the door for the foreseeable future once they are back in the factory.
I finally was able to track down a Star Wars topper and in calling around the BK toppers are nowhere to be found. I do still have one on order at LSOG, but at this point I will be glad to get it within a couple of months.

Thanks all who gave suggestions on a topper source. I called all of them and they are out of stock and have a waiting list.

And then I found one! Called arcade sales of Maryland and they had one left. It will be here tomorrow from FedEx! Not bad, a one day turnaround.

Curious to see how many days until the wife notices, ha!

#2427 4 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

Nice pick up! Just remember when quizzed:
"Oh that thing? That was there when I bought it"

Ha, normally that would work, but she got me this BKSOR for my birthday and helped sneak it in the house, so she might be more tuned in to this change. We shall see!

#2430 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Was the game already set up or still in the box?
If it was still in the box: "I finally got some time to put the rest of it together."
- Wife figures it came unassembled in that big box and complicated enough to take some time. You mean the money to buy it after it could be ordered.
If it was already set up: "I told them not to send it to me until after they released updated code for it."
- You mean "code that uses it", wife hears "original code for it was pretty buggy so why even have it here until it works good"
- Also to be used if wife watched unboxing of game in lieu of the option offered in the previous case
Still not sufficient? Ask me about my complete online course in the Art of Convincing Purchase Justification Without Pain.
- I'm not only the instructor, I've also successfully used the techniques taught in my course in urgent purchase justification situations for over 30 years. (Mostly on myself.)

HA! awesome. I think I’m busted on this one. Box arrived an hour ago and it says STERN SHOP real big on the side.

It also says “non urgent” in sharpie, which is sort of insulting. I mean, it’s all relative.

Anyway, I’ll be installing shortly! Still thrilled with the 18 hour turnaround time from order to at my doorstep lol

#2431 4 years ago

Alright here it is! Awesome topper, for sure.

First video is some simple install instructions and the second is a little unboxing. Both done at the encouragement (and filmed by) my kindergartener lol.

Initial thoughts

Pros:
movement and colors and general build are all very impressive.

Some new call outs (more to come as I play more, I’m sure)

Random movement on its own during attract mode is great. At least three different patterns of movement too, so not the same thing each time.

Movement when flipper is hit during attract mode

Rocking out mode where he head bangs to the music between games

Cons:
Noise of the movement motor is noticeable. Not a terrible thing, just different and new

No movement or reaction that I’ve seen from Catapult multiball, retro knight multiball, or extra ball. You’d think they could have programmed some reaction or response to these. I did notice him go blue and react to triple knights challenge. Didn’t get to pay attention for War mode because I had a lot going on in multiball.

Also I think nothing for last chance. Missing a real opportunity here for some mockery during that mode.

1 week later
#2464 4 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

Question, I was playing my BKSOR LE when all of the sudden the lights in the upper playfield go off when I hit the right flipper. If I play a little longer they come back on, but as soon as I hit the right flipper off they go. Has anyone had this happen? I assume the issue is with the right upper flipper; but again if anyone has come across this problem would you share your knowledge?

Probably the vibration of the flipper actuation. Sounds similar to the issue that plagued me. My upper red GIs would go out and it tripped a fault. Only difference is mine never came back in unless I cleared the fault.
Replacing every single red bulb fixed mine.

1 week later
#2479 4 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

I have a cracked ramp plastic. Tiny little crack on ramp -07. (upper left ramp)
Machine had a tiny hairline crack at this spot when I bought it. I musta whacked it again because now it is worse.
Where will I procure this plastic? I looked into the Stern website. I was hoping it would be easily sourced there. Not.
Additionally...……..what about the plastic on the upper PF floor on the LE? The clear one that the ball will eventually dull to a nice haze I suspect. Might be nice to get a spare for that before it becomes unobtainium.
If anybody here can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Same for me. Air balls that land there or lofted balls that smack off the drop target nail that plastic.

Bottom line is, it’s a bad design and obviously prone to cracking quickly.

Would be nice if Stern addressed this with a post or support or something there to strengthen or deflect the ball.

Considering how fast they’re cracking, I wonder if it would be ok with that plastic just taken out? I think an air ball down onto the drop could be bad but I don’t know.

Anyway, yeah we are SoL right now. My catapult plastic on the top cover is cracked too. Because it’s riveted to the side catapult plastic, they needed to make me a special request one. That was 2-3 months ago and I still don’t have it, and now manufacturing is shut down. I asked Chas if that was also a common failure point since I’ve had TWO of those upper catapult plastics crack and he said a few have. I take that to mean that that plastic is also going to be a long term problem for folks.

#2483 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I ordered a full set of plastic protectors, so every plastic has a nice clear protector. Took me about 3 hours along with Cliffy installation.
I hate broken plastics!

Does your plastic protector set also include protection for plastic 07 that we’re talking about? My set I got just protects the typical sling and return plastics.

3 weeks later
#2543 3 years ago

I know this was mentioned before, but does anyone think that the Up-lighting (Bright white LEDs) of the topper is done to intentionally make it look like shadows of ravens flying, when they alternate?

#2556 3 years ago
Quoted from KickahaOta:

I'm still having problems with the flail colliding with the ramp service. Tightening the screws on the ramp addresses the issue, but only for a few hours. Is the flail supposed to be off-center like this? https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aot6t7hrbQ2kkO46Y5TGRTX87rsqVA?e=xFfjhb

Oh man. Wish I could help but not sure what’s going on there. When you say off center do you mean the two pieces of the flail (spring and ball on each side) are not centered? Or the flail isn’t centered in the ramp lane left to right? Or the shaft of the flail isn’t centered when looking at the knight from the left side?

Has to be a hint that only one ball of the flail is hitting.

#2558 3 years ago

Today I SOLVED THE SHAKER MOTOR RATTLING!

Took a bit of investigating but then I saw that Stern stupidly uses the bottom of an upper playfield bolt as a support for the upper field by resting it directly on the bare metal on the top of the one way gate of the shooter lane/right loop!

I put a small thin dense adhesive backed rubber piece in between them. That solved 80% of the ratting.

I found the other 20% to be the gate/switch of the catapult rattling against the chute that dumps the balls that come up the center ramp.

For this, I put a long thin adhesive strip of felt along that part of the chute. It doesn’t impede the gate swinging to trigger the switch at all, and it mutes it from rattling when the shaker goes.

Thrilled to finally have a tight sounding machine when the shaker goes off.

Attaching images to help other Prem/LE owners with shakers.

81DDDBC0-86F6-4F2C-A694-8382725C34C2 (resized).jpeg81DDDBC0-86F6-4F2C-A694-8382725C34C2 (resized).jpegDD1A9808-A26E-467A-98FD-4FCFD9A67A65 (resized).jpegDD1A9808-A26E-467A-98FD-4FCFD9A67A65 (resized).jpegE1D6E4EB-444D-49CB-9618-401D535AB28C (resized).jpegE1D6E4EB-444D-49CB-9618-401D535AB28C (resized).jpeg
#2572 3 years ago

There’s just so so much that Tim could add to that nice big screen. Tons of in-game info and then lots more instructional situational help. Hell, even add way more to the attraction splash screens.

3 weeks later
#2630 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

Finally - after being crushed by this game so many times since my Pro arrived - I've defeated the Black Knight.
It's (only) taken me 1435 games... Was starting to think I'd never do it.
Scoreline - Jesder (1) | Black Knight (1434). I'm on the board
Loved the ending and wizard mode.

Wow. Wonder how many people have ever done it. Has to be under 5. What was your score?

#2631 3 years ago

Sure would love a nice little code update from Tim while this COVID mess continues. Wonder if they let code guys keep working from home? I get it that the factory is impacted but you’d think those roles could continue.

#2642 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

My final score was 754million. Which was a bit frustrating as it's not my best (my GC is 774 million).
I screwed up two WAR hurry ups and the Knight mode netted me just 15 million But I picked up 129 million on the final wizard mode that helped compensate.
I was having a great ball collecting the letters towards Knight mode, but drained when collecting the final letter. On the next ball with only a couple of Supers active and no way to level them up (since it starts the mode), it made the mode pretty much point less. Which is one of my big gripes with the current state of the rules around this mode. The lit shots are of little value. Clearing all shots has little value and there doesn't appear to be any other rules running in that mode for scoring. From my experience, if you don't have the spinner and pops leveled up (and getting them activated is random), the mode isn't worth much. Which is a shame for an excellently themed mini wizard mode to be so flat and 1 dimensional. I get that it's "possible" to build up a big super here, but it relies too heavily on setup before getting into the mode that can be wiped out far too easily and leave you with no way to build it up again. Further to that, any super you build up then relies on you collecting via spending your magna save (why?) which is not reliable and having the ball hit the right inlane. Don't get me started on my other gripe - supers There's work to be done there too.
Luckily though, the game has (in my view) the best theme in a long time. Artwork, animations, sfx, call outs, music, lore and the greatest topper of all time. If Tim can lift the quality of the code, I believe this will be game that stands the test of time.

Without a doubt, coders would be working from home. It might be more challenging getting things tested and approved for release, but we've continued to see code updates for other games during this time. So it would be possible. For BK updates, it would depend on Tim having the desire to improve the game and also have the time allocated to work on it. He mentioned he wanted to see how the game is played in comp before another update (which concerns me), so we could well be waiting awhile for improvements

You're just showing off Or are you playing 5 ball? The game is unforgiving at the best of times

Well said. Of all the improvements and additions that the code needs now, fixing retro is way way up there. Sadly now I just play it because I want to hear the music and sounds sometimes. It’s a waste of time for points.

1 week later
#2651 3 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

I joined the club today, thanks to jints56! LE, low play, HUO, like new. Zero dimpling so far. A few minute marks on the upper playfield, but since I assume that’s easy to eventually replace, I’m not worried. Any plastic protectors (not a full playfield one) I should buy to keep the lower PF mint?? Topper already on order!

The game comes with a lower (not full field) protector. Other than that, cliffys are helpful.

Novus 2 and 1 clean up the upper field nicely.

#2656 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I don’t understand the mode when the balls are loaded into the shooter lane and only the upper flipper is used with a countdown timer.i am really enjoying this game but need to learn the rules much better

Last chance mode. When you don’t earn a catapult MB and drain down the side.

4 weeks later
#2715 3 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Why does this game need new code? Just wondering what is the rage high score for? It surely can’t be getting mystery after mystery after mystery?

Retro mode is basically ruined (no points value), manga save for bonus collect is not a good implementation, wasted (no value) reverse loop shots up too, lots of useful info still missing from the display, black castle mode should continue after a drain or certainly not restart from square 1. Mini battle mode would be nice.

2 weeks later
#2815 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Anyone get any notices yet this week of Toppers? Or has the latest run already finished being shipped? I'm thinking I have to wait for another run to get mine. Ugh...Stern.

Ugh Stern is right. I honestly don’t understand how they are still a going concern. I have been waiting for a few simple plastics and a hex post for my BKSOR since FEBRUARY! I’ve send no less than 15-20 emails, and of course you can’t call, it’s just a message that hangs up on you, LOL.
The best part is, after tons of emails since February, I finally got a reply back saying my stuff was shipping...it arrived missing one piece and the other two pieces were wrong. Unreal.

#2827 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

That it isn‘t complete is a bummer.
That you really sent 20 emails regarding a topper during a global pandemic halt is a bit unreal tough.

I said nothing about sending 20 emails about a topper (I sent none...just found one in stock and ordered, then received 2 days later back in March). These are BKSOR plastics and a post that failed under normal home use.

If you had parts you were waiting on since February, and the phone number literally hangs up on everyone automatically, you really think it’s odd that I have ~20 emails sent over a SIX MONTH period of waiting? I’d say it’s not nearly enough. I expect slightly better after buying numerous NiB Sterns.

#2838 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman68:

Curious of what you ordered?

1. Plastic 07 (the one over the left drop target leading to the VUK) cracked from an air ball landing on it. In a bit of bitter irony, I ordered a plastic protector for that left plastic, and it protects the entire area EXCEPT for the spot that’s cracked lol. I think the protector is only meant for the Pro because I had to drill a missing screw hole, and I believe the protector is cut out (right where I need it) because the Pro has a spinner there. Would be nice if someone produced a version for the Prem/LE that covers this weak spot over the single drop target. For some reason they skipped sending this even though Pat wrote it very clearly right on the PO paper that was in with packing.

2. Hex nut thing (long post with the male threads), a part used in a million Stern games, that I had to remove to replace my broken catapult chute (the welds separated). When reattaching it, the tiny male threads snapped off. I’ve read this is a common issue and they handle next to no torque before failing...lesson learned to hand tighten only. They sent me a female instead of a male.

3. The catapult plastics (pieces 47 and 48)...the top one where you can see the catapult balls resting cracked 47 from balls whipping up the chute. This is the second time it’s happened to me. Minor crack but annoying nonetheless. The problem is, the first time, stern sent me a loose 47 (the top one that cracked). I then realized those two parts 47 and 48 are RIVETED together from the factory! I took the time to carefully drill out the rivets of the old assembly and only barely melt the surrounding plastic. Then I found tiny screws and nuts (have to be VERY SHORT to not hit the optos) and drilled the L brackets And plastics to accommodate. A huge pain but successfully reconstructed a working version. After installing that, the top one 47 cracked yet again. After very clearly explaining to Stern (since Feb) that I need a factory riveted assembled 47 and 48 (they asked for pictures and clarity no less than 3 times), I was yet again sent loose 47 and 48 pieces lol.

So, I never got an 07, they sent a female hex bolt thing instead of a male, and I got a non-riveted 47 and 48 catapult cover. Not good!

Thankfully this is all cosmetic stuff (I found a matching thread long screw to replace the hex nut thing...frankly a better design and function all around anyway), but I can’t imagine if anyone has a game-stopping or severely impactful problem, what support they are getting (if any). I realize there is a pandemic shutdown, but come on, they have zero problem cranking out NiB machines still, so you know the parts are there for recent games like BKSOR.

On a related note, It is a HUGE and extremely sad loss of Chas. He was the main man that helped many times with Stern issues for years prior. I’m sure he helped many of us. The group over there is small enough that this is, first and foremost, likely an incredibly emotional loss. Then in the longer term, a large void to fill for a knowledgeable support person.

1 week later
#2860 3 years ago
Quoted from jbigdoggf:

2 questions ...
#1. Anyone know where I can find a good leg light kit ?
#2. My shaker just started ‘whistling’ when it shakes.. can I grease it or something ? If so what kind ?

Both my AC⚡️DC and BKSOR shaker are starting to squeak (is fall it more of a squeak than a whistle). I assume it means a little oil on the rotating assembly of the motor but I haven’t gotten in there to check it out.

My BKSOR legs were squeaking too. Really annoying when nudging for upper playfield shots. Tightened them up more than I thought I’d need to and they are quiet for now.

#2863 3 years ago

Probably not a big deal but watching Tim’s interview, at 40:10 he mentions flipper code to show the full credits.

Anyone know what the code is?

Perhaps other codes of sort of Easter egg stuff like Munsters, etc?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=pPFlQOp_G5A

#2873 3 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Shouldn't the head be attached? Received this as an extra. Planned to sell to raise funds for a Star Wars topper but now I am thinking may have to return. Anyone else have it arrive this way? Looks like they forget to screw it down.
[quoted image]

yes it should be.

#2918 3 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Initial email was to tech support.
Ended up on Patrick's desk.
Patrick solved everything.
Painless process. And quickly resolved.

Incredible that their phone still just hangs up on you and we are at the mercy of one man replying to emails, considering we spend $6-9k on these machines. Imagine if a car company or other serious electronics manufacturer operated this way.

#2921 3 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

I totally get what you are saying. And I agree it is a bit off putting that a company of Stern's size would have an issue such as this.
Of note, anybody else on this site have any difficulty obtaining goods or services the last few months? Things seems a bit off in the world as a whole to you? Remember when toilet paper became difficult to get? Try and buy a new chest freezer right now. See how that works out for you.
I'm in the construction industry. There are soooo many shortages of simple items you would have never thought twice of getting at the snap of a finger earlier this year. PVC pipe is one. Yep. PVC pipe. Up 30% in the last month. And you aren't even guaranteed you will get what you might want or need. Circuit breakers. That is another hope you get what you need item. And when you do get them, expect defect rates higher than normal.
Gonna be awhile til supply chains get smooth again and small businesses get the materials and personnel necessary to run a business as perfectly as what today's modern consumers are used to having.

While you are totally correct on the examples of other supply and manufacturing issues, I have little sympathy for Stern, as they have no issue cranking out NIB machines to sell, one being BKSOR. So why does it take 6 months (and counting) for me to get replacement parts for a machine they are actively making? Unacceptable.

#2924 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

From what I hear the factory is making machines at a much slower rate than before. There are problems with the supply chain just like everyone else and not to mention their number one tech support guy for the last 30 years just died...

I get that Chas was a big loss. To be fair though, I had sent numerous emails and phone calls to tech many months before he got sick regarding NiB issues with my BKSOR and they went unanswered until I relentlessly pressed and then got help from Pat.

At this point, I don’t NEED tech support
I need a simple set of plastics. I know what I need, yet I can’t speak to a human being there to send it to me.

#2927 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

That does suck. I might suggest going through your distributor that you got it from or local Stern dealer if you bought it second hand.

Could be worth a try, but I get my machines from a local pinball arcade who can source them from Stern, not really a big distro.

1 week later
#2948 3 years ago
Quoted from Loganpinball:

Joined the le club. I have no luck with Stern. Paid 9k nib and the front decal needs to be replaced, missing screw for ball mech that is mia, found a post screw that I have no idea where it goes and lastly played it and a black painted screw just slid down the playfield. And I have no idea where it came from or goes. Contacted vender and hes contacting stern for a decal. It looks like paint was still wet when they banded it and it crept up behind decal and poof! I love the game otherwise and I will replace the decal when I get it. Sad truth is I had to do front decal on Star trek and Kiss when I bought them nib. I am cursed
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How ironic! That’s the hex screw I’ve been asking stern for for over 4 months!

Black screw of mystery is a special LE game mode. The black knight tosses a black screw out onto the playfield and you have to quickly find where it goes before the screw drops in and shorts one of the boards. It’s a brutal mode.

In all seriousness though, same mess with mine and many others. Just do yourself a favor and take 2 hours and take every screw out that you can reach and lock tight them.

FYI the black mystery screw mode on mine ended up being a screw for the optic behind the catapult plastic assembly. That was a fun one to find.

1 week later
#2984 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottBot:

I noticed that my catapult was getting a little bouncy when I hit a ball in it. Are the sides supposed to be welded to the base ramp? It looks a little like the tabs (circled in red) are broken welds?
[quoted image]

It’s shoddy stern worksmanship. Happened to me too, just look back in the thread. Good luck getting help. Took me MONTHS to get them to see that their crappy welds failed and got a new catapult. Now, I have small simple plastic failures and they are claiming the game is “out of production”. What a joke of a company.

#2987 3 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I took mine to a welder, it needs to be TIG welded. Good luck getting any help from Stern now that Chas is gone. The problem with my optos, it's registering balls when there are no balls in the catapult. I've been messing around with mine for months now, adjusting it, cleaning it and nothing seems to work for more than a week and it starts doing it again.

I concur on it being amazingly difficult to get help now.

Anyway, double check the tiny black screws holding in your catapult logos. They are very common ones to work loose and fall out. I lock tighted all mine

#2992 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottBot:

My experience is, thankfully, opposite of yours. I submitted the issue from their "contact us" page on the website. Within 15 minutes Patrick responded. I sent him the info he wanted and I have a replacement catapult on the way! Just hoping it has better welds

Amazing. Either they hate me for my persistence, or there really is some poor fool wandering the aisles of the Stern warehouse for 5 months, looking for my parts. LOL

I’m concerned about the welds on my replacement catapult, as well. Could be a big issue for longevity in these games, on a part that is neither cheap nor particularly fun or easy to replace.

#3015 3 years ago

So I got to black knight mode for the second time tonight. I thought the mode continued if you lost your ball. Tonight it didn’t and I really felt robbed of the continuance of the game to defeat the black knight. Managed like 512m at ball 1 before the extra ball and choked out to 599.5m by the end of the game.

Nope, doesn’t continue. This is a big flaw that a lot of us have tried to get Tim’s attention on. Not fun and makes no sense that after all the work to get there, one drain puts you back to square 1

#3017 3 years ago

Glad it’s not just me then. Was happy to get there again an almost on ball 1 and just kicked me in the nuts having to go for those 3 hard shots over and over again!

Yep, it’s a bummer. My most wanted list is probably:

- fix black castle mode to not start from square one on a drain

- improve/change the super bonus collect to not be done via the magnasave. Much preferred the old VUK collect way.

- somehow make the second KNIGHT mode for Retro 2000 more accessible (I know, play better!)

- make the first retro mode actually valuable again. It got nerfed way too much on the last big update.

Hopefully we get an update soon. Tagged Tim in a post on TiltForums asking for any hint of an update on the way, but haven’t heard anything back yet.

#3030 3 years ago

Wanted to share a good story and say thanks to Terry at Pinball Life.

Unfortunately, an airball (or three) landed on my left drop target plastic (07) and cracked it where it is weak.

Extremely unfortunately, I have literally written Stern weekly for 4+ months to get a replacement and they are apparently still wandering the vast depths of the factory in search of such an amazingly elusive part. Absolutely infuriating. In fact, I was told last week that NOW, at this, point it is even harder to find the piece (that they were “looking for” for MONTHS already), because the game is now out of production. LOL. What a joke.

ANYWAY, a month or so ago I bought the plastic protector from Pinball Life that said it was for that plastic. Unfortunately, when I went to install it, it was clear it was for a Pro, which has the spinner there, and ended up giving no protection to the exact area where 07 on a Premium is vulnerable.

After a while I noticed PBL updated their page to specify it was for a Pro.

I reached out to them to ask about a Premium version and immediately got a refund for the “wrong” part that I bought, without even asking for it. Then they asked me to ship my Premium 07 plastic and they would make a true Prem/LE protector piece for it. 5 days after I shipped it, I have the part back and the new protector in hand.

It can’t reverse the damage done, but maybe if by some miracle the gods of parts at Stern search deep in the catacombs of plastics for parts from a game that stopped production last month, I will have some nice support protection for this vulnerable piece where it’s weak over the drop target. For now, I’m happy it should help prevent the crack from getting worse, since it adds a layer of support under plastic 07.

A+ service from PBL, and I assume they will soon offer this protector for Prem/LE for sale on the site, and I would highly recommend installing it.

62CEC5E7-A2EE-462A-92AC-CB2F5AE0B024 (resized).jpeg62CEC5E7-A2EE-462A-92AC-CB2F5AE0B024 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#3183 3 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Sorry if this has been posted but anyone come with a fix for the upper playfield flipper plug (white piece) coming loose.I know SR had something about the flipper sticking and I remedied that but now that plug keeps popping out.I'm sure a piece of mylar would do it just wondering if there was a better solution.Thanks.

Something must not be right with your order or number of the washers or spacer things. Not sure how the large white piece would come loose.

1 week later
#3211 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

There should be a one-way gate stopping that from happening. Yours must be missing or needs to be adjusted.

interesting. I don’t remember a gate of sorts on mine. I’ll have to take a look. I get about 10% or less bouncing out but I thought it was hitting and bouncing back earlier in the metal curve, not all the way back into the actual hole like this video shows. Could be just to fast to see correctly with the naked eye tho.

#3213 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yup. I had to adjust mine a bit as a slow moving ball would occasionally get stuck in the gate. Never had a bounce out, even with making it looser by bending up the spring steel flap a bit.
[quoted image]

Wow, never knew there was a device like that in there. I’ll have to try and watch it next time. I do see it there in mine tho.

#3218 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Check the opto board for loose connector or wire. If that checks good likely a bad opti board. Also if you can check and see if you have voltage going to the board.

Second this. Also everyone NEEDS to locktite those tiny screws all in and on the catapult, including the opto-board. The screws holding the catapult plastics came loose on week 1 of mine, and around week 3, I found a TINY black mystery screw popping around the playfield. Took me forever to find that it was one of the four opto board screws.

Granted, I have a shaker in mine, but I've had WAY too many screws come loose in this game. For reference, I've had a shaker in AC/DC since day one, two years before I got BKSOR, and exactly 0 things have come loose.

#3223 3 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I have one target that's not resetting. Can anyone tell me what I need to check for? Thank you.
[quoted image]

Curious about this issue. You’d think it would be a whole bank that’s set to pop back up and would either all work or not. Does it register as hit when it’s hit?

#3265 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Stern dropped new code today, then took it down. Prob bug fix. There was an incremental flipper setting on it so that will help

It’s had incremental settings, but the new one is just way more precision options

#3270 3 years ago

No brave souls installed those files? Lol

Maybe they took it down because Tim forgot to add the part where you DON’T COMPLETELY START OVER when a ball drains fighting black castle!

#3282 3 years ago

Really annoying how they keep pulling it down. Maybe Tim is adding those features now, LOL!

#3290 3 years ago

I haven’t see him post anything in a LONG time on tiltforums either where he used to be active in responding to code and rules questions and concerns.

#3295 3 years ago

Ok why can I not set the damn game to retro soundtrack? Is it really ONLY in the stupid jukebox mode??

#3297 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

Yep - It's only an option in the DJ Mixer.
It's not a full soundtrack and only the two retro mode music tracks.

ugh. I can’t even find it in Mixer lol. I press the flippers to fast forward a song but never come across the retros?

#3299 3 years ago

Played a few games and don’t notice anything at all really new or better. Might be random coincidence because I had 3 great games in a row (370+) but I got two extra balls each game. The normal first one for the monster but then along the way a second one lit each time. Not sure if there’s something new that makes achieving that easier or not.

Don’t notice a ton of difference to the Retro mode score. Maybe a bit of a bump but not a lot.

1 week later
#3400 3 years ago

With all the recent venting about the lackluster latest code drop, I do feel like we owe Tim a huge thanks for being the inspiration for adding the retro modes in.

FINALLY got to BK2000 for the first time since I got the game 15 months ago. What a shame it isn’t more accessible but so so cool!

Also helped me beef up to my new Grand Champ score. I was one shot away from activating Black Castle, too. The shield was up. Oh well.

Earned three extra balls in this game. One for the first monster, second just for looping or something, abs the third during BK2000.

058ED2E4-EAC1-47F0-A380-DCE7AE1EF15F (resized).jpeg058ED2E4-EAC1-47F0-A380-DCE7AE1EF15F (resized).jpeg732CA83C-111D-4118-84F6-AD926D9A3402 (resized).jpeg732CA83C-111D-4118-84F6-AD926D9A3402 (resized).jpeg
#3404 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

You need to spell KNIGHT for a second time.

Congrats on finally reaching it!!!
Out of the two retro modes, I think this one is easily the better one. Nice intro explaining the rules, more actual rules to shoot and an EB available. The only real downside is it's locked away behind a much too difficult barrier and on the rare occasion you make it, you only get to experience it for 60 seconds before being forced to exit.
For me, that's where being able to choose or control which mode you get to play has benefit. Not only does it give some variety (which retro mode am I in the mood for in this game?), it also allows for some strategy in play (If I have multiple supers active, then retro mode 1 is the way to go. If I have no supers or am locked to level 1 only supers, then RANSOM is the go).
I can't remember if you've made it to RAGE yet.. if not - seems like a good challenge for the weekend

Rage is after you beat the BK In Black Castle, right? Never beaten black castle. Only gotten there twice abs died very fast both times.

#3407 3 years ago

Question for you guys who got to black castle. The two times I did, I LOVED the song that played during the battle. I swear I’m not seeing it in the new code feature where you can play the soundtrack from the game. Is it in there? What a shame if it’s missing!

#3409 3 years ago
Quoted from Heerser:

It's there. Just hit the start button to select your playlist

I see the standard, alt and then the two retros songs as the three playlists. I just didn’t notice the black castle song when popping through the standard soundtrack. Anyone know what song it is?

#3411 3 years ago
Quoted from Heerser:

Sorry select djmixer and press lockdown bar button to change the playlist. Best version is the soundtrack list and skip to "sword of rage".

Ha, I’m an idiot. Sorry. Somehow I messed with it a lot and never got to Sword of Rage. It’s like it’s LITERALLY the name of the entire game LOL.

Anyway, I cranked that up and tuned up the 10 band EQ settings paired with the Flipper Fidelity set. Shame it only really shines with a thick sound above around 20 on the volume. If it were up to me the machine would never be below 25 but the family might disagree around 1 am.

Making my way through learning the Sword of Rage song. It’s in drop D tuning and seems fairly simply for the most part...7 chords I think. Then there’s the nice solo/backtrack notes that shine towards the end. Love the gritty main riff though. This song goes so perfectly with the theme of the battle with BK. Shame most of us can’t get there and enjoy it for long during the game lol.

#3412 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Ha, I’m an idiot. Sorry. Somehow I messed with it a lot and never got to Sword of Rage. It’s like it’s LITERALLY the name of the entire game LOL.
Anyway, I cranked that up and tuned up the 10 band EQ settings paired with the Flipper Fidelity set. Shame it only really shines with a thick sound above around 20 on the volume. If it were up to me the machine would never be below 25 but the family might disagree around 1 am.
Making my way through learning the Sword of Rage song. It’s in drop D tuning and seems fairly simply for the most part...7 chords I think. Then there’s the nice solo/backtrack notes that shine towards the end. Love the gritty main riff though. This song goes so perfectly with the theme of the battle with BK. Shame most of us can’t get there and enjoy it for long during the game lol.

1 week later
#3446 3 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

Hey guys, does anyone have good advice on how to properly adjust the center switch. I need to fix it each 10 games it's becoming annoying.
Thanks for your help

Crank it really tight after adjusting it centered. I finally laid into mine after the same frustration, and it’s been fine for 6 months.

#3468 3 years ago
Quoted from waldo34:

I can't recall is did we even start a list of proposed code enhancements? Assuming Stern reads some of what goes on here.

Yes there are some lists. Also a whole Tilt Forums thread on it where he used to reply.

About 2-3 pages ago, some white knight came on here chastising people for trying to communicate wanted/needed code changes to him, like folks were going to picket outside of his house or something LOL. But yeah, we’ve been trying for a while and have some decent lists throughout thus thread not too long ago.

3 weeks later
#3515 3 years ago

What does everyone think about the right flipper strength after 20-30+ minutes of play? Personally, I think it is becoming what should almost be an addressable item from Stern (yes, I laughed typing that too). When I get a good game going that extends to 20+ minutes, I noticed the power of the right flipper really start to suffer as it gets tired from the tons of flips due to the upper field flipper. By the 5th monster or so, the ball is JUST creeping up the ramp and plopping onto the upper field. If I let the machine sit for 10-15 minutes, it's fine again.

FWIW, I did replace the coil stops with better new ones, but that didn't change anything.

Feeling the coil after a long game, it is definitely very warm. Not uncomfortable to touch, and not anything extremely warmer than the left, which I was a bit surprised about, since left flipper strength is perfectly fine all through long games, to make it up the ramp.

Curious if there is a potential fan mod or something to add cooling to the coil, to see if that would help. Otherwise, what is everyone else doing (or is this a rare problem that isn't across the board)? I suppose I could go the more extreme route and replace the coil, but that seems silly on a 1 year old home use machine with a few hundred games on it.

Also, I realize there is a flipper strength setting in the menu. However, I think I already have it on high, and it would seem silly to have to crank strength up to a level that works late in a game and have it be overly strong otherwise.

#3522 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Had played for a long time once and had the flipper completely go out. I was cradling a ball at the time. Blew the fuse and had to have the transistor replaced.

sheesh. While that seems like an extreme case, I wonder how Stern is ok releasing games that have this behavior. You can’t tell me that their engineers and testers are that bad that their games all last under 10 minutes and they never play in groups that keep it going for hours.

Seems ridiculous that technology of coils hasn’t improved to where they are vastly better than coils from 40 years ago.

Just had a random thought...what about a clip on heat sink? I have used aluminum best sinks that snugly go around RC car motors to stop heat damage.

Maybe the main problem is there is rarely clearance around the coil.

#3529 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterTinkerer:

Would love to add the topper, but there’s no way I’m paying $2k or more for a friggin topper. All of the scalpers out there should be ashamed

I’m pretty sure that’s how supply and demand economics works. Probably should be ashamed at Stern for producing so few, instead.

#3530 3 years ago

First time I’ve had this happen. Probably pretty slim odds. Played the multiball with one ball and then nudged to loosen these up when needed.

#3554 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I like both Deadpool and Stranger Things (easy enough for most beginners to pick it up, still trying to crack the high score is enough motivation + the music and upside down mode are creepy). I am intrigued by Hot Wheels, I'd like to see one some day, and would also enjoy Junk Yard and Spiderman (Stern).

Played a hot wheels for the first time last night. Felt like a child’s toy pinball. Hated it in every way. Was immensely disappointed.

#3561 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

can i simply ask why you did bought it ?
mainly because its was said early that (after Houdini+Oktoberfest) HW will be a pin with a "fan layout", and i see AFM & MM in your collection, which are already in that same style

Realize the question wasn’t directed at me, and I don’t want to drag this more off topic from BKSOR, but although HW might sort of kind of be a fan layout...it really isn’t. It’s absolutely nothing like AFM or MM in shooting feel...or anything feel.

Hey, while I’m on my complaining and off topic pedestal, let me say that I played a Zeppelin pro the same night last week, and was also really let down. Thankful that we have BKSOR with some real action and wild shots. What a wide-open, blank playfield snooze fest that LZ pro was (and I love the band). Steve must have gotten exhausted from designing the Knight lol

#3571 3 years ago
Quoted from Angel:

Finally got my BKSOR premium yesterday, the family and I spent a couple of hours playing it...and this is a very fun, interesting, fast flowing, frustrating, challenging and keeps you coming back for more pin. The graphics are amazing, voice/sounds are very well done, incorporating the the older black knights into this pin is brilliant....I will be playing it much more today.
A big thanks to the folks on this BKSOR forum for your honesty. Black Knight is everything you guys said it would be and more.
The only question I have is how do you remove the upper play field to clean below? Is there a set of instructions available?

It’s in the Key Posts at the top. Marked as #539

Pro tip (or should that be Premium/LE tip, HA), don’t put any force on the long aluminum hex posts with the tiny male threads on the end. A) they will snap off and B) Stern will take 1-6 months to send you a replacement

#3574 3 years ago

Tim mentioned something in the game credits a while ago. Anyone know the flipper code to enter into the credits mode? The traditional (Munsters) published code doesn’t work for me.

FYI the serial # code and Hello World C++ codes do work.

#3577 3 years ago

Not sure how flipper coil fatigue isn’t a major issue being addressed by stern across the board in its newer games, but I’d venture to guess that most or all of us Prem/LE owners here are feeling the struggle of making the flail ramp to the upper field with the right flipper after 4-5 games. I know mine would JUUUUUST make it up, plop down on the top field and then roll down at an angle that misses the upper flipper. Left flipper was never an issue but of course the right is used about 500% more.

Didn’t want to just increase flipper power since it would cause more airballs and unwanted stuff when the coils weren’t fatigued, so I ordered a pin monk kit of fans.

Figured the install would be 15 min but actually ended up taking a while because the lower sling GI bulb is in the way of the fan mount a bit.

Ended up using a dremel with soft grinding stone and a flat file to take away the plastic in the way. Then used a torch to melt over and sort of re strengthen the surface of the mount since inside a 3D printed piece is sort of a honeycomb.

I also had to unplug my flipper button lights that use PN11 on the coin mech board because that’s also what this kit uses. The normal splitters available out there won’t work because the flipper coil fan kit uses a proprietary plug not the normal sort arrow shaped one. That said, pin monk said he is getting splitters in this week to solve this exact issue.

Now that it’s all done and fits, I have to say I am really impressed. Spent several nights putting 40-50 minutes on the machine and the difference is extremely noticeable. If I had to guess, I’d say before the right flipper would lose about 25% power after a while. Now I’d put that number maybe around 10%. You can tell if you really pay attention, but never has there been one of those shots that barely makes it up the ramp and plops down on the top field. They all make it up just fine and head to the upper flipper as intended.

Attaching some pics in case anyone orders and wants to save time figuring out how to get some of the plastic out of the way.

292AFBD8-898E-4CAA-AE85-F64F3862C732 (resized).jpeg292AFBD8-898E-4CAA-AE85-F64F3862C732 (resized).jpeg580FB135-FEE6-44E5-B71D-D5C252B28700 (resized).jpeg580FB135-FEE6-44E5-B71D-D5C252B28700 (resized).jpegAF3E1B9F-9935-48B0-9EB9-D5558391227E (resized).jpegAF3E1B9F-9935-48B0-9EB9-D5558391227E (resized).jpegBF170DFA-DD19-4EDD-8805-05A58FD27E6A (resized).jpegBF170DFA-DD19-4EDD-8805-05A58FD27E6A (resized).jpeg2FF11A65-2C40-4410-9459-318E092E35D9 (resized).jpeg2FF11A65-2C40-4410-9459-318E092E35D9 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3593 3 years ago

Hit the billion point club tonight. 998m on ball 1, and then 22m more on all the rest lol.

Only the second time since Sept 2019 that I’ve gotten to BK2K mode and the final Black Castle. Sadly drained in 28 seconds of the battle and that was that.

#3611 3 years ago
Quoted from TTARider:

ok, so mid-game on my BKSOR Premium, plastic #37 comes sliding down the playfield.... Tried and tried but can't figure out where it came from.
Anyone know?

And while you’re fixing that, remove every screw and nut you can physically get to and blue loctite it. They will all come lose especially if you have a shaker, which you should lol

#3621 3 years ago
Quoted from Rik_:Joined the club last week, trading out a well modded Avatar for a premium BK. It's a blast. Plays entirely different than any of my other tables, the small playfield punishes my bad shots. Still have yet to successfully activate a magna save, it seems like if the ball is going to drain right side, it's going without bouncing around.

Welcome to the club! You’ll learn with the magnasave...

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#3672 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Who here has installed all or some of these Cliffys in his Premium? Are the two VUK rings a bear to install? Are they all that necessary?
[quoted image]

Yes. I looked at it for about 20 seconds and happily out the VUK ones back in the envelope to store. Can’t imagine those will get too worn in HUO. The more standard ones are a no brainer for the drains and ejects.

2 weeks later
#3790 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Need help guys. Today whenever I hit the catapult it recognizes it and says catapult ball X locked and then kicks it out. I didn’t change anything and can’t find anywhere on the settings for a virtual ball lock yes or no.
I thought I saw it in earlier code and I have looked 3 times in settings. I am running the Ramnstein alternate soundtrack and had no issues prior to today. Still launches all three balls when third ball hits catapult but prefer all three coming out from the catapult.
Appreciate any help.

Take the plastic cover off and look at all the optos. Those tiny opto screws are some of the worst and loosening and flying out which will cause an opto to dangle. While you’re interested there even if they are ok, put some blue loc tite on them.

#3796 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Found the issue! The connector to the rear opto was loose. Thank you so much for your help!

Glad that helped!

#3809 3 years ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

No, this wall decal was, with some other decals, in the goodie bag.
It's the same decal that is placed right behind the knight.
Thought its a good idea to place this right there on this blank metal guide in the back of the upper playfield.

Crazy. I looked in the bag and all I have are the sling plastics, 3 promo plastics, and decals for the targets. No stone wall for me! Anyone else??

4 weeks later
#3865 2 years ago

Recently been having the game eject two balls during play (for example when locking one in catapult and having it auto fire a new one). Any thoughts? Optos, or auto plunger adjustment? I almost think it’s trying to fire a ball, and it gets hung up, and then the game thinks it didn’t try to eject one so then it ejects two.

1 week later
#3896 2 years ago

Yeah. Ridiculous that Stern doesn’t want Tim to fix this glaring issue. Why have a final/wizard mode that is basically useless?

3 weeks later
#3948 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I was reading up on sound options and it seemed there was some sort of 'retro' option I could select. I thought I did that in the menu but I don't really notice much difference. Did I misunderstand what that is or did I presumably do it wrong?
Polishing the upper was a DISMAL failure but it still looks less awful than it did...I guess. I should probably go ahead and order the $150 replacement from PBL to have in hand for an eventual swap.
Otherwise, today was quite the adventure. But she's in my basement, nestled next to my EBD and playing well again.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There’s a menu option to select alternate soundtrack. It’s completely different so you’d have noticed.

For the upper play field, what did you try? I assume that paper towel was a wipe down of something else, but hopefully not used on the plexiglass? If you didn’t do this already, try Novus 2 with a microfiber and buff it as best you can given the tough spacing to work in. Then go to the finer Novus 1 and repeat. For me it cleaned it up 75% and no huge swirls like you got there.

1 month later
#4116 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

Oh, one other question. I notice on the center target and to a much lesser extent the catapult lock target, that I need to hit it dead on and with force to register, and I mean dead on. Is this normal?

The center target shifts to the right slowly over time. It will be stuck against the small rubber just to the right of it. Lift the field. Loosen the two screws, alight it, and CRANK down those screws. It happened to me about 4 times until I said the heck with it and really wailed on the screws. Hasn’t moved in many months.

1 week later
#4145 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

This is exactly the issue, but the problem I always have with these sort of tips is that there is no adjustment that can be made. There are two screws with screws holes, not an adjustable slider-hole, so if I loosen the screws, there’s no left to right movement since screws need to stay in their holes. I’d need to putty old holes and create new ones to move it away from rubber contact. What am I missing??

There are large holes in the metal bracket of the target. Should be plenty of room to adjust it around the tiny bit you need to, once the screws are loosened. Myself and multiple friends with the game all have had to do this and there’s always wiggle room to adjust it as needed without redoing the holes foe the screws in the wood.

2 weeks later
#4214 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Sure thing - if you cracked 1b on a Pro you’d be hitting that Knights Challenge lock shot an awful amount of times!
In saying that, my upper playfield is pretty funky. Hard loop it around - I might adjust the upper flipper.
I noticed the welds on sides of the catapult lock have come open, so any “non perfect” shot up there just rattles around and comes back out. Is that a thing, anyone else have that issue with the welds?
rd

Yes it happens a lot, sadly. Happened on my game after about 100 plays and also has happened on my friend’s. I called and wrote stern about 100 times until SIX MONTHS LATER I got the replacement catapult metal. The game plays like garbage with broken welds. Way too sloppy and gives up all the inertia of the ball.

1 week later
#4229 2 years ago

Such a ridiculously easy change to make the game way better by letting Black Castle continue if you have balls left to play. Haven’t heard much from Tim lately, though.

1 month later
#4339 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

What's the magic word?

“ForChristsake” ?

1 month later
#4410 2 years ago

Already found a couple of bugs in the new code. One minor one major.

First time I got TKK with this new code, the animation and music cut short about halfway through like if you hit both flippers.

Major bug is with the Retro Black Knight Multiball Challenge. Was playing this mode and when the third ball timed out with the 10 second count down and killed the game, I hit the start button. It didn’t start a new game but instead reloaded all 3 balls with a fresh challenge and 3x multiplier but BUILDING on my prior score! Then AGAIN after the third ball drained (but this time I didn’t press Start or anything) it launched a NEW three balls and a new 3x multiplier and stacked the score on top of the prior 6 balls of score!

Interestingly the high score during the entering of initials was ONLY the score from the real first three balls. Seems like a big glitch, though.

#4411 2 years ago

Another thing that makes no Sense and is just lazy coding is having the extra ball lit during Ransom challenge mode. Why? There is no playing an extra ball? Why award its and also actually kick out the extra ball at the end onto a dead field?!

#4413 2 years ago

Wow what a mess of a code!

Start a Ransom Challenge and then press Start while the game is doing the BK2000 animations.

The ball launches and you can play it in complete darkness on the playfield and it tallies points. You can also earn the extra ball discussed above. Then when the animation is over, it STARTS BEING THE NORMAL GAME! But you have all the points hurt earned in Ransom for about 20 seconds.

I beat a monster and earned ANOTHER extra ball and played them all (ball one + 2 extra balls) but then after that the game cuts and ends. Man oh man.

#4416 2 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Another thing that makes no Sense and is just lazy coding is having the extra ball lit during Ransom challenge mode. Why? There is no playing an extra ball? Why award its and also actually kick out the extra ball at the end onto a dead field?!

Chuck, why downvote this? Do you enjoy 10 seconds of useless animation and then the game wasting 20 more seconds kicking a whole new ball out for zero reason on a dead field, after the game is over? If that’s enjoyable to you then by all means applaud stern for their thoughtful code.

#4418 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

How does this work exactly? Is it a popup menu with the choice of a regular game and challenge mode game?

just hold the flippers like DJ mixer mode or tournament mode

1 week later
#4483 2 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:This is how it appears now.
I'm not a fan of how it looks to be honest. There's a nicely themed UI covered with generic red rectangles and "PRESS START" squashed in each of them.
Hopefully we see this UI design cleaned up in a future update that integrates it better to the game UI.
[quoted image]

Totally agree. Looks sloppy and annoying now.

#4484 2 years ago

Jesder you mentioned a super skill shot for challenge retro mode above, where you hold the left flipper. That doesn’t sound familiar to me. Is that the case during regular play too? I always thought the catapult was the super skill shot and the shield next to the catapult was the normal skill shot. (I think worth 2m and 1m respectively).

1 week later
#4513 2 years ago

<blockquote

Quoted from spikelou2:

I need the tiny screw that holds the plastic into the ball lock in the upper play field , I’m using that huge screw to hold it into place .. can anyone tell me where to get that part? Please pm me
[quoted image]

ace, or true value?

#4530 2 years ago

lame update! Was at LEAST hoping for a visual cleanup of the awful PLAYERPLAYERPLAYERPLAYER graphic taking the whole bottom of the screen

3 weeks later
#4616 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

When is the new code coming out?

Early next year!

#4633 2 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

That's absolutely another option for super collection and something I suggested awhile back also. It would be simple to implement since the event to award super jackpot could also be used to just relight magnasave. The only problem is that it appears unpolished since you're left with the shaker motor going, magna save SFX and screen animation when (in many cases) the ball is safely on the metal return rail, ready to roll over the right lane and get the super jackpot. But it would at least be an upgrade on the current implementation.
And I 100% agree on the 3X collection should count 2X also - it's how many video game achievements works and what my expectation would be here too. I really wish Tim had an eye for detail when polishing his games. It's important.

Is this to catch cases where the magna save fails to catch the ball?
While on Magnasave, I've always thought a nice polish idea is to have a special BK callout mocking the player when they press the magnasave button, but it it's lit.

Ha, that would be funny.

“Not even lit, stupid maggot!”

4 months later
#4779 1 year ago
Quoted from Wheelzzz:

GI flaking out / flail & shield optos quitting.
Howdy, I have a BKSOR on route and yesterday I got a call saying the GI was going out sporadically and the shield would not lift to allow ball in, as well as the flail not working. I browsed the forums, and it appears others have had similar issues. However, I never got a concrete answer on what the solution is/was...has there been any word from Stern on what exactly is causing this? I suppose those of you who have gone through it will know right away, but I don't see it being a widespread issue.
Anyone got any advice? I'm heading up to grab it tomorrow, and hope to have more info on what I'm about to deal with...
Thanks in advance.

Mine was a while back and I forget the exact details but I’m sure I posted it here. Soon after I got I NiB, my upper red GI would cut and it would show an error and I had some issue with the shield not working correctly. I swear it never impacted my flail tho.

After trouble shooting and swapping mode boards nothing helped.

Finally stern sent me a bag of all new GI bulbs and I went through the pain of replacing every one of them. Bingo, that fixed it. Some bad or failed bulb was basically causing a mini short or something.

1 month later
#4835 1 year ago

Ugh. Weak update. Still no east fix to clean up the horrendous PLAYER PLAYER PLAYER PLAYER across the bottom of the screen, I see.

#4838 1 year ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

The easy fix is to go into SPI adjustments and set the game to one player mode.

What happens when more than one player tries to join then?

1 month later
#4896 1 year ago

Yep. Super lame update. Fixing crap they broke with the stupid insider connected module push

You know what I don’t need? My game that I’ve played hundreds of times to tell me I’ve beaten all of the monster. What I do need? Polished actual game code and meaningful fixes.

2 months later
#4988 1 year ago

Just lube it

2 months later
#5089 1 year ago

Friend had the same issue and he called around and found them at a distro. Not surprisingly, Stern was zero help.

4 months later
#5220 9 months ago
Quoted from Bohm:

What are people's opinion on Powerbladez? They look good but are they worth the money, are they hard to install are they thicker or make maintenance harder in any way?
Pingraffix is running a 25% sale so they're $260.00 right now.

They are epic. I got a good sale on them at Pinfest and worth every penny.

2 months later
#5262 6 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I am not sure I am loving the LE version as much I liked the pro. Granted I have only played a few games and I might not be playing it well, but I feel there is not much to do on the upper and a lot of the time is spent up there bricking shots.
am I crazy?

If you are bricking shots up there, Steve would rightfully tell you to “PLAY BETTER”

#5267 6 months ago
Quoted from koji:

Pro is quite nice. Successful shots feed the next, like led Zep. Modes are more interesting because you are actively chasing them on the main pf. Conventional skill plunge and more pop action so the war hurry up can reward more. Shorter ball times since you don't have the safety of an upper pf.

Zep pro is not a favorable comparrison. the most blank boring playfield in all of pinball! They phoned that one in

3 weeks later
#5313 5 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I respect the admiration but after owning one for a very short period. The topper is grossly overpriced and last but not least the novelty wears off very fast.
It it also very loud and distracting when it moves.
Cool topper for sure. And even at 15 hundred bucks I would not buy it again.

I love it. And if it’s too loud you don’t have the music up loud enough.

#5321 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Joined the club a few weeks ago with a Premium.
After a few days at the house I noticed the shield on the Black Knight Mech wasn't coming down all the way. We lifted the playfield and sure enough, the metal bracket holding the coil was real loose. I carefully tightened the 2 screws, one on each end. I saw what appears to be a center hole for another short screw so I secured that as well. Now the mech seems to be too snug, the shield will not raise high enough. I removed the center screw and voila, seems like the problem was solved. Sadly after a dozen games or so, I'm right back to square one. Any guesses on how I can re-secure the bracket properly? The game doesn't have a shaker installed, it appears the Black Knight mech is simply jostling itself loose.

Not trying to oversimplify but did you use a proper amount of loktite?

1 week later
#5333 5 months ago

So in summary the code update is:

- Insider crap

- Ruins the topper

- Shows ads

- No actual gameplay/mode/music/meaningful improvements

#5335 5 months ago
Quoted from koji:

"- Changed Mystery Award in competition mode to alternate between 3 Million and
Advance WAR Lanes.
- Various behind the scenes improvements for correctness and performance.
"

Mmm hmm. Let's all enjoy those various behind the scene secret double probation improvements

2 weeks later
#5388 4 months ago

Holy crap is Stern reaching on the new code release language in their email, LOL!

Email: This code contains game enhancements adding synchronized lighting effects for the topper and Black Knight speech lamp effects.

ReadMe on the code page:Fixed a build issue that had hidden black knight speech lamp effects and some topper movement effects.

So the email is trying to be fancy in saying “we fixed what we broke in the last code”

3 weeks later
#5442 4 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Centering and then tighten the screws.

This. It works really well. Don’t be afraid to crank down hard on these two screws otherwise it’ll keep shifting. Had to do mine like 4 times before I had enough and laid into them. They haven’t moved in a year now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ezatnova.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only?tu=ezatnova and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.