IMG_1923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1925 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1788 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1776 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1765 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3 Black Knight Feature matrix. Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #27 Rules card. Posted by NeilMcRae (5 years ago)

Post #539 remove upper Playfield Posted by Captainhook (4 years ago)

Post #4057 Link to Upper Playfield removal video. Posted by PeterG (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1 month later
#696 4 years ago

I played BKSOR (both Pro and Premium) for the first time at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown in May and absolutely loved it - lived up to all the hype IMO. This afternoon I played a BKSOR Premium for 2 hours straight at the TILT Arcade in Louisville, CO and it solidified my belief that I absolutely have to have this game. I have 5 pins already and room for 6, but no pinball funds at present. I'm seriously, seriously considering selling my Harley - when I think about how much I've ridden it over the last 2 years (4 or 5 times) vs. how much I'd be playing BKSOR (daily), it seems like a no-contest from a usage/enjoyment perspective.

#699 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Step 1 is to sell Black Jack to begin funding your current goal BKSOR prem. This frees space for a second future pin.

That's actually part of the plan. Black Jack is totally apart at the moment - I'm in the middle of repairing and repainting the cabinet (more for gaining the experience in doing something like this vs. trying to increase the value on a not-all-that-valuable pin). I should have it done, back together, and ready for sale within a couple of months.

4 months later
#1588 4 years ago

It's going to be a long 9 days....I just joined the club and purchased a NIB BKSOR Premium (with shaker motor). Delivery is Friday, November 29!! Obligatory unboxing photos to be posted shortly after arrival!

1 week later
#1658 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

It's going to be a long 9 days....I just joined the club and purchased a NIB BKSOR Premium (with shaker motor). Delivery is Friday, November 29!! Obligatory unboxing photos to be posted shortly after arrival!

The wait is over....BKSOR is in the house as of this morning. Parked him right next to his grandfather.

IMG_7378 (resized).jpgIMG_7378 (resized).jpg
#1659 4 years ago

When updating the code (to v1.00) on my new BKSOR Premium, I ran into the situation that many others on this thread ran into a few months ago whereby BK would see the file on the USB key but when attempting to load, would error out with "invalid file". Through a little trial and error, I discovered that the .spk file must be the ONLY file on the USB key. I had the .spk file and the readme file in the root of the FAT32 USB key and I hit the "invalid file" issue. After I removed the readme file from the key, the update was successful.

IMG_7376 (resized).jpgIMG_7376 (resized).jpg
#1707 4 years ago

Does anyone have any practical experience using the Quiet Fan Mod?

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-system-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit.html

Just got my BKSOR Premium on Friday and boy, I now see (hear) what you guys are talking about in regards to loud fan noise. Curious to know if the above fan works well and since it's spinning a tad slower (and for longer periods) if there are any backbox temperature issues with it or premature burning out if it has to run longer.

1 week later
#1770 4 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Thanks for that. Another question buying pins in general. Are distributirs willing to negotiate on nib pricing? When i see a BK premium for 7600 shoukd i expect to do better?

There's some wiggle room for sure. My local distributor has a large showroom and 100 NIB pins in his warehouse. I've never bought anything there before. I walked in two weeks ago wanting to buy a BKSOR Premium and started playing the Pro, Prem, and LE machines in the showroom. When the sales guy came up to ask if he could help me with anything, I asked him if they'd discount the $7499 any if I paid in cash money. He said unfortunately no, and we continued to talk pins for a while. After a bit of chit-chat, he could tell I was serious and said he could come down to $7200 and he'd throw in a shaker motor. Sold. And he also knocked off $100 from the optional $199 delivery charge (for $99, it was worth it to have their two guys take it down to my basement without me and my 17yr old having to navigate the 3 corners down the narrow stairs). Brand NIB BKSOR Premium with shaker, delivered and set up for $8000 including sales tax.

The dealer installed the shaker onsite for me and I updated the .94 code to 1.00 before they left in case something went wrong.

The only downside (and it's no big deal) is that while it's NIB, it's an older manufacturing date (June) which means I need to do a few things:

- Install the Plastic Assembly #43 Replacement Kit for the upper playfield (actually did that this week)
- Install the missing washer in the upper flipper stack that causes the ball to occasionally get stuck on the ironing-board-looking-plastic (slated to do this weekend)
- Install a smaller rubber ring around the post to the right of the "R" at the top of the bottom playfield so slow balls don't get stuck there (slated to do this weekend)

As I understand it, all of the above have been corrected on the assembly line with the later machine builds.

#1793 4 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

mathazar - thanks for this list. I just picked up a NIB LE that has a May 2019 build date, so I'm fearing that I'll need to do all of this on my machine as well. One other question I've got - did you also install an add-on capacitor harness that addresses some GI lighting and shield flailing issues? I've read about this earlier in this thread (see post #1569 - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/32#post-5306113) and was curious if you had this installed as well? If so, do you have a Stern part number for it?
Thanks.

EightBitWhit - I don't have that add-on cap harness installed on my Premium. I had read that post last month but I'm not experiencing any GI lighting or shield flailing issues (have about 70 games on the clock now). I figure I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

#1808 4 years ago

Epic game (at least for me) last night....a new personal best after owning the machine for 2.5 weeks. Took about 40 minutes and along the way had at least 8 Catapult multiballs, 4 Triple Knights multiballs, and 2 retro multiballs (after spelling KNIGHT for the second time, I finally got to see that second retro Kings Ransom multiball!). And...I made it to Black Castle/Rage multiball only to drain everything in a few seconds. Playing 6-ball multiball for several minutes in a row sure does a number on the wrists & fingers!

Hi Score (resized).jpgHi Score (resized).jpg
#1809 4 years ago

What strategies do you employ when playing multiball modes? For me, when it's 4 or more balls, I'm just trying to stay alive. I don't even look at anything beyond the slings....I'm just staring at the flippers and trying to keep the balls in play. If there's a second available to process during the melee, I'll try to hit out-of-vision targets based on ball position against the flipper without actually looking at the targets. Sometimes I'm able to spot a ball heading for a SDTM drain and I'll hit it out of the way with another ball. But the reality for me is to just keep flipping furiously to prevent the balls from draining.

When it's down to 2 or 3 balls, I'll hold 1 or 2 on one flipper while aiming and hitting specific targets with the other. After getting comfortable doing this with 2 balls, I'm starting to get the hang of that with 3.

How about you guys? When you're in a 4, 5, or 6 multiball frenzy, where are your eyes looking?

#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

The only downside (and it's no big deal) is that while it's NIB, it's an older manufacturing date (June) which means I need to do a few things:
- Install the Plastic Assembly #43 Replacement Kit for the upper playfield (actually did that this week)
- Install the missing washer in the upper flipper stack that causes the ball to occasionally get stuck on the ironing-board-looking-plastic (slated to do this weekend)
- Install a smaller rubber ring around the post to the right of the "R" at the top of the bottom playfield so slow balls don't get stuck there (slated to do this weekend)
As I understand it, all of the above have been corrected on the assembly line with the later machine builds.

Update on the second issue above - I took apart the upper flipper stack last night and discovered that the washer is actually present on my system, but in the *wrong place*. The stack is supposed to go, from the top down, flipper bat==>plastic apron==>washer==>nylon bushing==>clear plastic spacer but on my machine it was flipper bat==>washer==>plastic apron==>nylon bushing==>clear plastic spacer. So the washer part was there, but in the wrong position in the stack (and in fact, pushing the plastic apron even further down under the upper playfield cut-out for the flipper). After I put the stack in the correct order, the ball no longer gets stuck in that spot behind the flipper.

As for the third issue above, it hasn't happened but once in the last two dozen games or so and when it did happen, all it took was a light nudge to get it unstuck. Since the upper playfield will have to be removed to get access to it, I think I'm going to put this one off until the first cleaning/waxing session.

One other thing - when I lifted the playfield to get access to the flipper stack, I heard the unmistakable sound of a screw rolling/falling to the top of the playfield and bouncing off into the cabinet. I found it, but I can't figure out where it goes. I spent the better part of 30 minutes combing over the topside of the playfield with my bifocals and a flashlight, but I still can't tell where it came from. There aren't any screws like this at all on the underside of the playfield, so I'm sure it came from topside. Here's a picture....does anyone know where this short, steel, philips head with a washer screw might go?

Loose Screw (resized).jpgLoose Screw (resized).jpg
#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Ok, went over my machine and here’s where I see that type of screen that you have loose. There may be a couple more I just can’t see. Hope this helps.[quoted image]

Thanx so much for going all-out with the annotated photo - much appreciated! I printed it out and will be going over my machine tonight after the family goes to bed.

#1831 4 years ago
Quoted from Nazz26:

During game play a screw like that came loose and landed on the Playfield. Luckily I saw where it came from. Look at the back of the knights shield. The constant movement of the shield jarred it loose.

I'll take a look - thanx for the clue. I've got a shaker in my machine as well and I know that has a tendency to loosen up some screws as well.

#1849 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Ok, went over my machine and here’s where I see that type of screen that you have loose. There may be a couple more I just can’t see. Hope this helps.[quoted image]

I've been all over the playfield with a bright light and I cannot find where that screw came from. Thanx again for your diagram...

#1850 4 years ago

I've got a new behavior 70 games into ownership - one side of the flail is touching the ramp when it spins. Neither the flail, the rod/axle, or the Black Knight himself appear loose and there is no play in the mechanism. I've examined it pretty closely....I was hoping that the "missing" screw mentioned in my previous post above was the culprit but all the screws on the Black Knight mechanism are present and tight.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about - the "tick tick tick" you're hearing is one of the flail balls touching the ramp as it spins. Is this happening to anyone else:

#1851 4 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I've got a new behavior 70 games into ownership - one side of the flail is touching the ramp when it spins. Neither the flail, the rod/axle, or the Black Knight himself appear loose and there is no play in the mechanism. I've examined it pretty closely....I was hoping that the "missing" screw mentioned in my previous post above was the culprit but all the screws on the Black Knight mechanism are present and tight.
Here's a video of what I'm talking about - the "tick tick tick" you're hearing is one of the flail balls touching the ramp as it spins. Is this happening to anyone else:

Thanx to @STDMinSTL, I think I may have this resolved. The two ramp screws forward of the flail and the two ramp screws behind the flail each had about a quarter turn...once all four were properly torqued down, the clicking went away. It's likely the shaker motor loosing up the screws...may add some locktite to them if it becomes chronic. When triaging this problem, I kept thinking "why is the flail lower?" as opposed to "could the ramp be higher?".

#1897 4 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

is the flipper on the upper PF any different from the other 2 longer shaft or anything?

Pretty sure it's the same flipper plastic, but the shaft is indeed longer as it goes from the upper playfield all the way thru to the coil/bracket/etc on the underside of the lower playfield.

2 weeks later
#2028 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I got my bkle and have sometimes ball hanger, maybe someone can help
One at the flipper Finger on the mini playfield and the other one at the ball through.(See pictures)
Sometimes I also have two balls in the Shooter lane.
Thanks

I had the same ball-getting-stuck-behind-the-upper-flipper issue on my Premium. There's a Stern service bulletin out on that....it affects early manufacturing builds. The good news is that there is an easy fix for it.

You may need Black Knight Sword of Rage Plastic Kit #43 - this will help "serve" the ball more directly to the flipper when going thru the loop. If you bought your pin from a distributor, they should supply it for free:
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Black-Knight-Upper-Playfield-Kit-Instructions.pdf

If your distributor doesn't have it or you didn't buy it new, it's only $2 US plus shipping from Pinball Life:
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=511-1942-43

I posted about my issue and resolution here if you're interested in reviewing:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/37#post-5367034

The ball is getting stuck behind the flipper because the little plastic piece shaped like an ironing board under the upper playfield is sitting too low due to a missing washer or (in my case) a washer in the wrong position in the flipper shaft stack.

Sorry but I can't comment on the two-balls-in-shooter-lane problem as I haven't seen it or heard about that yet. I've got about 250 plays on my NIB BKSOR Premium.

3 weeks later
#2198 4 years ago

Updated to the new code on my Premium tonight - noticed a few new call outs and I actually like the new soundtrack. It's great to have that as an option, and I'll likely be toggling back and forth depending on mood. I also put in the external headphone jack/volume control kit tonight - the original soundtrack sounds AMAZING cranked up on my over-the-ear studio monitor headphones.

My wife appreciates the headphone mod as well, but for an entirely different reason.

1 month later
#2406 4 years ago
Quoted from veejay:

I’m having a problem with my Premium game where the ball gets trapped behind the upper flipper and stuck on the clear playfield insert. Is there a known fix for this? Thanks a lot in advance.

This is a known issue with some machines. There is likely a missing washer in the upper flipper stack or, as was in my case, the washer was stacked in the wrong order causing plastic ironing board to sit too low below the upper playfield, thereby allowing a ball to get stuck in the cutout. See:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/36#post-5347008
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/37#post-5367034

1 month later
#2554 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I saw a post about someone that had to replace plastic number 43, but what exactly was wrong with the plastic? I just got a prem with a build date of June 17th 2019, I haven't noticed any issues but just want to make sure.

The new replacement piece of plastic has a built in post that pushes the rubber outward a bit from behind. Without this, when the ball rolls down that rail it usually goes right to the lower playfield. With that post protruding the rubber slightly, there's more of a chance of the ball getting sent to the upper flipper more often when the ball rolls down that rail.

#2557 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Sounds good, I've just been nudging it to keep it up there. Is Stern sending them out for free?

Stern distributors are sending them out for free to customers who purchased from them. If you're not the original owner, you can buy it from Pinball Life for $2:

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=511-1942-43

#2574 3 years ago

I think I fall into the good player category - I'd probably collect more if I had the room and budget.

I went Premium for basically one thing (as mentioned in earlier posts) - multiball. I like multiball....the more the better. With the upper playfield, you can stack Catapult multiball with Triple Knights Threat multiball and get 6 ball action at once. That's the bomb.....to me, anyway.

2 months later
#2752 3 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

My friend just got his BK and he has that upper flipper issue happening. I can’t remember what the fix was for this. Does anyone have a link to the instructions that fix they released?

Is this what you're looking for? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/41#post-5416836

#2764 3 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

No, unfortunately that doesn’t look like it. I thought there was a service bulletin where the upper playfield flipper was basically assembled in the wrong order. I recall it needing something like a plastic washer or a disassembly to stack the parts in the correct order.
Thank you and bagdad for the responses. I’ll keep looking. Also he will contact stern tomorrow.

There was a service bulletin for one of the plastic pieces in the upper playfield, but I don't recall one specifically for the stacking order/missing washer for the upper playfield flipper. On my machine, the washer was there but stacked in the wrong order (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/37#post-5367034).

Here's some text from Steve Ritchie himself that someone posted earlier in this thread:

If a ball is stuck behind the upper right flipper on the white plastic “ironing board” shaped plastic, you are missing the metal washer in the “flipper stack” consisting of a 2” long clear small diameter spacer, a fat white nylon spacer, a metal washer between the fat spacer and the ironing board from bottom to top. Some games got out without the metal washer. Use a metal washer (with a ¼” inner diameter, and just about any outer diameter under ¾”) and insert into the stack on the flipper shaft between the fat nylon spacer and the ironing board. Here’s how to do it:

* You do not have to remove the plastic upper playfield.*

Remove all 6 balls from the lower trough. Carefully lift the playfield and stand it up against the backbox making sure that it is stable, (check the manual) then loosen the upper right flipper shaft clamping block (on the bottom of the wood playfield) with a 5/32” hex (Allen) wrench allowing a bit of rotational and up and down movement of the flipper shaft. Use your manual to locate assemblies if you don’t know the names of the parts I’m mentioning.

Lay the playfield back down on the playfield support brackets. Pull the playfield toward the front of the game until the round rubber feet on the playfield support brackets are securely in the hand protector trough. Carefully prop up the rear of the playfield with an 18” long piece of 2X4 or other prop using the cabinet floor and a blank spot on the bottom of the playfield so that the entire flipper stack is visible and within your reach from the right side of the game.

Slowly pull the loosened flipper shaft upward, freeing up the different parts of the flipper stack, and removing them carefully. Remove the flipper shaft pulling upward. When you have the flipper removed from the game, slide the ironing board on the shaft, then slide the new metal washer up the shaft under the ironing board, then the fat white nylon bushing, then the clear plastic bushing onto the shaft, and feed the lower tip of the flipper shaft through the plastic upper playfield and back into the flipper bushing on and through the lower wood playfield. Guide the ironing board into the flipper-shaped hole in the plastic upper playfield. Remove the playfield prop and lower the rear of the playfield onto the playfield cabinet rails. Carefully lift the playfield and stand it up against the backbox while holding the upper right flipper in place. Feed the flipper shaft through the flipper clamp block and tighten just enough so that you can still rotate and move the flipper up and down in the clamp block.

Next, the goal is to have zero up and down play in the upper right flipper assembly. Locate the plastic flipper body over the ironing board and aligned the flipper with it on all sides. Push down on the flipper and up on the clamping block until there is zero up and down movement of the flipper. Tighten the hex screw with the 5/32” Allen wrench lower the playfield back into the company and check for flipper alignment and up and down end play. The ball will no longer stay stuck behind the upper right flipper. There will still be enough up and down play due to the flexiblity and softness of the plastic parts in the stack.

1 week later
#2832 3 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Chas over at Stern just passed away this week. There's going to be no customer service now.

Shocking news. I only had the need to speak with tech support once (last year) and it was Chas. Super friendly and professional.

Here's a tribute thread I found: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chas-an-amazing-tech-support-engineer-at-stern-has-passed-away-

1 week later
#2861 3 years ago

My STPro Vault shaker has started to squeak after a little more than a year/700 plays so I'm really interested to know if this is something I can service myself (I haven't cracked the shaker open yet to investigate). So far, my BKSOR Premium shaker is doing well after ~500 plays.

2 weeks later
#2934 3 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I have: Flipper, washer, plug, washer, bushing, sleeve. Is that not correct? Should the bottom washer be below the bushing instead of between the bushing and plug?

This is from Steve Ritchie (apologies...I don't remember the original poster in this thread - stacking order is in the third paragraph). I did this to mine and have not had a single ball stuck since (couple hundred games):

Remove all 6 balls from the lower trough. Carefully lift the playfield and stand it up against the backbox making sure that it is stable, (check the manual) then loosen the upper right flipper shaft clamping block (on the bottom of the wood playfield) with a 5/32” hex (Allen) wrench allowing a bit of rotational and up and down movement of the flipper shaft. Use your manual to locate assemblies if you don’t know the names of the parts I’m mentioning.

Lay the playfield back down on the playfield support brackets. Pull the playfield toward the front of the game until the round rubber feet on the playfield support brackets are securely in the hand protector trough. Carefully prop up the rear of the playfield with an 18” long piece of 2X4 or other prop using the cabinet floor and a blank spot on the bottom of the playfield so that the entire flipper stack is visible and within your reach from the right side of the game.

Slowly pull the loosened flipper shaft upward, freeing up the different parts of the flipper stack, and removing them carefully. Remove the flipper shaft pulling upward. When you have the flipper removed from the game, slide the ironing board on the shaft, then slide the new metal washer up the shaft under the ironing board, then the fat white nylon bushing, then the clear plastic bushing onto the shaft, and feed the lower tip of the flipper shaft through the plastic upper playfield and back into the flipper bushing on and through the lower wood playfield. Guide the ironing board into the flipper-shaped hole in the plastic upper playfield. Remove the playfield prop and lower the rear of the playfield onto the playfield cabinet rails. Carefully lift the playfield and stand it up against the backbox while holding the upper right flipper in place. Feed the flipper shaft through the flipper clamp block and tighten just enough so that you can still rotate and move the flipper up and down in the clamp block.

Next, the goal is to have zero up and down play in the upper right flipper assembly. Locate the plastic flipper body over the ironing board and aligned the flipper with it on all sides. Push down on the flipper and up on the clamping block until there is zero up and down movement of the flipper. Tighten the hex screw with the 5/32” Allen wrench lower the playfield back into the company and check for flipper alignment and up and down end play. The ball will no longer stay stuck behind the upper right flipper. There will still be enough up and down play due to the flexiblity and softness of the plastic parts in the stack.

#2950 3 years ago

Found this #-37 plastic in the shooter lane of my Premium this evening, wedged between the right rail and the ramp. I've got no idea where this goes - I've eyeballed the game a half dozen times and don't see anything missing, and the otherwise-really-nice manual doesn't have a layout guide for the plastic pieces (yet my older Star Trek Pro manual has a plastics layout guide, go figure).

Anyone know where this goes? Wherever it goes, I likely have 2 screws missing as well as there's no evidence that this piece has broken off of anything.

IMG_8843 (resized).jpgIMG_8843 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3191 3 years ago

I'm really getting tired of getting to Black Castle, draining quickly, and having to start over. Got to Black Castle today on Ball 2, hit two targets, then SDTM after hitting the third. Back to Square 1.

I've been getting to Black Castle about 1 out of every 30 games. I've yet to beat it!

3 weeks later
#3280 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I dont see anything at all for bk

It was there an hour ago (I grabbed it), now it's gone again.

#3354 3 years ago
Quoted from Parrothd33:

Anyone else have issues with the ball getting stuck on top of the upper play field flipper plastic insert?

Quoted from John_I:

I've never had this issue, but it has been covered many times in this thread. I believe it is caused by a washer in the wrong place or missing?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/9#post-5025737

In my case, the washer was there but was out of order in the stack: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/37#post-5367034

#3372 3 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

I've run into a problem in trying to upgrade my BKSOR to the 1.02 code. I'm currently running 1.01. I've downloaded the code three times and put the .SPK.002.000 & .SPK.002.001 file onto three different USB sticks. When I power up the machine with the USB stick installed, it does not recognize it and continues to game starts.
Is there a setting that needs changing? I've done multiple upgrades on the machine in the past.
Thanks for any assistance.
-Nate

Double-check that the USB stick is formatted as FAT32. If the stick is >8GB in size, Windows defaults to exFAT or NTFS for the filesystem format.

#3374 3 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

Yes, thanks. I check that each USB stick was FAT-32. The largest one I used was 8GB. I even tried one that I had used in a previous update.

Dang. I also updated to 1.02 from 1.01 and it went smoothly. You've probably done all of these but here's what I'd go thru if it were happening to me:

- Re-download the files from the Stern website
- Make sure the .SPK.002.000 & .SPK.002.001 files are the ONLY things on the stick and in the root directory (not a folder). Reformat the stick just to be sure.
- Try using both USB connectors on the motherboard in case one is messed up (would be really rare, tho).
- If the USB sticks were formatted on a Mac, try a Windows machine. I remember some reports of formatting issues on a Mac during last year's 1.01 update.

#3389 3 years ago

How many hits does it take to complete Black Castle? I'm getting there fairly regularly now (about one game every 5 or 6), but have yet to complete it in 350 plays since I bought the pin last year. Tonight I got 8 shots into Black Castle before draining, more than ever before for me, so I know the number is higher than that. So frustrating to have to start over.....but at least I got a personal best today:

HS (resized).jpgHS (resized).jpg
#3391 3 years ago

Holy Crap. Two words for me....Play Better!

#3423 3 years ago

So there's a time out for Black Castle? Reached it again tonight and was doing battle pretty well with the Black Knight. Got about 15 hits in (most ever for me) and felt I was close, then all of a sudden a graphic on the screen said "Black Knight Survives" and the monster battle started over without losing a ball. I don't recall hearing any audio cues that time was running out, like on the other monster modes. Oh, well....PLAY BETTER!

1 week later
#3448 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Also check that the whole Knight assembly is bolted tightly to the PF or your flail will eventually start to hit the ramp.

FWIW, my flail started hitting the ramp about 6 months or so into ownership. Turned out to be the ramp itself....the screws securing it to the playfield had become slightly loose, enough that the ramp was starting to rise up a bit.

1 week later
#3487 3 years ago

Has anyone on this thread successfully used the AliExpress LVDS to HDMI convertor board on their BKSOR to send the scoring screen output to a PC for streaming/recording? Mine mostly works but experiences a "blanking/glitching" issue for 1 to 2 seconds every once in a while (in a 10 minute video, there are usually 18-24 occurrences).

I got a quick response from the board vendor when I explained the symptoms, but I’m afraid it doesn’t do much good:

"That blank out is because the LVDS output signal of the motherboard is unstable and the frequency is not fixed, so please close the LVDS signal spreading function and turn on the FREERUN fixed frequency function on your motherboard."

So…that ain’t happening on a Stern MPU.

Details on how to install and configure the LVDS to HDMI convertor board is nicely documented by Hurryuppinball here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/direct-video-capture-tutorial-on-spike2-systems. I've added some posts to that thread with more details on the various capture cards I've tested along with the blanking problem.

Anybody else run into this on their BKSOR and overcome it?

3 weeks later
#3547 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

My knight's mace is pounding the ramp - anyone able to point me to knight disassembly? I can tell for sure he's loose, but took about 1/2 hour to get into it and I think either I lack the proper tools or I'm doing the wrong thing.

Make sure the ramp is tightened down. Mine become loose after about 100 games, rose up slightly, and the mace started scraping against it. After torqueing down the ramp screws, I checked all of the other playfield screws and found several that had loosened. Loctite to the rescue.

#3548 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

if you're a good player, you will quite never lose the ball from that upper PF !!!

While this is true, you don't always HAVE to keep the ball in the upper PF. I love the upper PF. Besides staying true to the dual level PF theme throughout the BK pin releases made popular by the original, it's very satisfying to me as a player to whack a ball up into the catapult. That being said, you don't always have to do it.

One of my scoring strategies is to launch to the upper PF to start the ball, then get 2 balls loaded in the catapult. Then LET the ball come down to the lower playfield and hit what's needed to start a monster mode which includes letting the ball come down to the lower playfield a second time to shoot the ball into the shield VUK for starting the monster mode. When the monster mode is started, then go back to the upper PF and initiate the catapult multiball by getting the third ball in. In a multiball frenzy, it's easier and faster to defeat the monster mode.

A similar strategy of loading up the catapult with 2 balls and letting a ball drop to the lower PF can be employed for hitting the lower targets to trigger Triple Knights Challenge. When Triple Knights Challenge is active, get a ball into the upper PF and shoot that last ball into the catapult for a stacked multiball 6-ball frenzy. That's really fun.

I've had my SOR Premium for more than a year now and still play it several times a week. I frequently get to Black Castle (every 3 or 4 games or so) but I've yet to defeat it. I've gotten so close...one time I had 17 hits in Black Castle before losing the ball. It's so frustrating....but it keeps me coming back for another game.

3 weeks later
#3609 3 years ago
Quoted from TTARider:

ok, so mid-game on my BKSOR Premium, plastic #37 comes sliding down the playfield.... Tried and tried but can't figure out where it came from.
Anyone know?

Start reading here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/59#post-5848498

Looks like it happens to everyone, eventually.

#3617 3 years ago
Quoted from jbigdoggf:

Brothers in Rage,

2 questions...

1. Today while playing the #37 plastic fell off... I don't know where it goes... does anyone know ?

Scroll up 7 posts (6hrs ago).

#3622 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Welcome to the club! You’ll learn with the magnasave...

After 2 years with BK and 1.5 years with BKSOR, my muscle memory still fails me often. On BKSOR, I will occasionally go for the it's-not-there magnasave button by the flippers and on BK I will occasionally go for the it's-not-there magnasave button on the lockdown bar. My son loves to tell me "Dad, it's not there" each time he sees me do it.

1 week later
#3659 3 years ago

Doing a second run of the topper would probably renew criticism of the lack (stoppage?) of code updates for this machine, something I'm sure Stern doesn't want to do. Now if they were REALLY smart, they would indeed do another run of the topper, with a slightly higher-than-original price point to make it worth their while, and coincide it with a MEANINGFUL code update that addresses the concerns and improvement ideas from their rabid customer base.

1 week later
#3682 3 years ago

Same here. Started a few hours ago.

#3691 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Please tell me how to order Stern's "enhancements" or "fixes" package for a Premium.
I just watched Steve Ritchie explain in a stream how his team made a few "fixes" for the playfield that are now available to Premium/LE owners.  For example, he made a thicker post that goes on the upper playfield to bump the ball out and into the flipper on loops, etc.  Is the set available for free?  If so, how do I get it? Is there a Stern part number for the set, or do I contact customer support and just request one? It seems like they never ship parts directly. You have to buy everything through your distributor. Is this no different?
Thanks!

This kit is free from your Stern distributor. If your local distributor won't support you (if you didn't buy from them), you can buy the kit directly from Pinball Life. $3.

#3694 3 years ago

Did you install this kit in your game and did you find it helpful?

Yes - I put it in last year and it does make a difference. I'd say when coming down that rubber, the ball gets bumped/fed into the upper flipper about 50% more now.

I watched the video you referenced - I've not seen any of those other tweaks/enhancements around other than that upper plastic piece Kit #43 (it does not come with any metal plates).

#3749 3 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Tried the test from diag menu and no movement forward or backward.

Is the flail not spinning because it's touching the ramp? Several of us have had issues with the ramp rising up to the point where the flail hits it (fixed by tightening the screws down at the ramp entrance). If yours is raised up high enough, perhaps it's blocking it from spinning.

#3772 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So...toppers are now $2,000? That’s wild. What did these things sell for originally? Is Stern going to do another run of them at some time? Any knock offs or copy cats available?

IIRC, I think they retailed for $500. Distributors early on were selling for $450 before prices started getting jacked upwards. I'm really regretting not picking one up when they came out....as much as I want one now, no way in hell will I pay these freaking prices. I was on the fence when they were $500 but would gladly pay that now.

2 weeks later
#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

On Black Knight Pro, there are three drop targets on the right side of the machine. If one or ever two out of the three drop targets are hit, they will all pop (reset) back up after a few seconds. Not sure what is occurring as none of the drop targets are meant to reset unless all three targets are hit. I checked the connections but that did not seem to be the issue. Anyone encounter this?

Quoted from Jesder:

That's the way it's always been on my Pro. If you fail to complete the drop target bank within a certain time, it resets the bank.

I think that's to add some challenge for completing the bank as it will relight magna save and pretty sure it also gives additional boost to filling the sword.

That's the way the four 3-bank drop targets work on the original BK as well.

2 weeks later
#3880 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Got my Pro today! Some loose and missing screws, and the ball was jumping out of the wireform due to a too-long screw thread sticking up, but we got that all taken care of and having fun now. That's my buddy, not me in the photos.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Can't beat Black Knight and Star Trek in the lineup!

1 week later
#3894 2 years ago

Resuming Black Castle mode on next ball?
If I drain in any given mode, I continue in the mode on my next ball - assuming I have one.
Not so with Black Castle.
Is there a setting that will allow me to return to it?
I have only reached the BC a handful of times and I always drain early.
I would like the chance to keep at it and reach Rage MB.[quoted image]

Welcome to BC Frustration. There is currently no setting to allow BC to continue after a drained ball. This is one of the most requested features (fixes?) I've seen in this thread for a newer BKSOR code drop that may never come.

I've owned my BKSOR for 18+ months now. I can reach BC every 5 or 6 games or so, but I've yet to complete it. Most hits I've had in BC is 18. I read somewhere that 22 hits completes it, but I don't know for sure.

1 month later
#4021 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

New member . My first LCD pinball
I was wondering about the #43 plastic kit, I don't think I have this.. To confirm is this only to help give a little bump to the 3rd flipper? Is there a general consensus of preference for this if this is all it is? i.e., it seems like the nudge is not too bad, and more like the original BKs?
Thank you-[quoted image]

Congrats, and welcome to the club! I prefer having the kit in myself and indeed it's only to give a little bump to the upper playfield flipper.

#4033 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

So, talking to PBL it looks like it'll run me a hair over $60 to convert to the more robust configuration stern used on Tron. I might have to order a connector too, idk on that one. Might just go ahead and do it though, I'm tired of messing with it.

If that actually resolves the problem, $60 seems cheap to rid yourself of that frustration!

4 weeks later
#4098 2 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

Set a new GC score on my Pro today - finally breaking 900mil and painfully short of the 1 billion barrier.
Reached the final wizard mode for only the fourth time I think and BK2000 retro mode for only the third time since owning it.
[quoted image]

Dang - and I was feeling good about my 790B score tonight (HS #3 on my Premium) till I saw your post.

Got to Black Castle and just over 640B on my first ball. Black Castle was done after only 6 hits and then the monsters started over.

#4100 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

meanwhile the PRO is for sure harder to play/score
and 6 hits only ? easier setting or something changed in the setup ? if i remember well, i had to hit something like 15-20 time to beat him

6 hits only? You trolling me? That center target is a bitch.....drain monster 75% of the time.

Farthest I've gotten is 16 hits on Black Castle before I drained, so thinking it's 20.

#4102 2 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

i misunderstood than, was thinking you did beat BC with 6 hits...

Aha, that makes more sense! Sad to say, in 15 or so months of ownership, I have YET to get past Black Castle. I can get there about 1 out of very 5 or 6 games, but I just can't get past it. I will eventually, tho!

2 weeks later
#4153 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

It's not just you, I've played numerous machines with that issue, including mine.

Same here - happens to my Premium about 1 out of every 25 to 30 games. Most of the time, the automated ball search that activates all the coils usually shakes it loose in one direction or the other.

#4166 2 years ago

7+ pages of thoughts and opinions on Steve Ritchie's move to JJP:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-leaving-stern-for-jjp

1 month later
#4270 2 years ago

Your Stern distributor should have them for free. I got mine from Pinball Life as my distributor was out and had to order it and I was buying parts on PBL for other pin projects anyway - it's only a couple of bucks.

2 months later
#4398 2 years ago

After more than a year since the last code update, and all the chatter and build-up since then, this is a bit underwhelming to me. Nice they added a ball save to Black Castle but this code drop is just being driven by the desire for Stern to add the Insider Connected feature and generate another revenue stream (with a couple of fixes and tweaks thrown in). The pessimist in me says that if it wasn't for the Stern Insider Connected feature, there wouldn't be a code update for SOR. Could you imagine the outrage if a new SOR code drop included ONLY the Stern Insider Connected feature?

Would love to be proven wrong....perhaps this is a restart of more regular SOR updates?

1 month later
#4577 2 years ago
Quoted from DentalDude88:

In your opinion, why is that though? I'm curious.

Despite a fervent fan base, I don't think it did well for Stern sales-wise. Distributors inventory was pretty plentiful when it was shipping, and I don't recall there ever being a "drought" so it was always easy to get. There's always at least a few low-mileage examples for sale on Pinside at any given time. Stern likely runs vault editions for pins that had high sale numbers and still has high demand.

Don't get me wrong. I love BKSOR....I've had a NIB Premium myself for the last couple of years. Doubt I'd ever part with it. In fact I wish Stern would re-run the topper for it and take my damn money.

1 week later
#4618 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCheese:

When is that next topper run? I'm still waiting patiently.

For a mere $2100, you can have a used one. LOL

https://www.facebook.com/groups/630406413802349/permalink/2104231579753151/?sale_post_id=2104231579753151

topper (resized).jpgtopper (resized).jpg
4 months later
#4766 1 year ago
Quoted from friscopinball:

Does anyone know the part number for the hex spacer/post above the upper playfield flipper? It broke off and I need to order another but I am completely lost.

This?

Upper Flipper Bat Assembly 2 (resized).jpgUpper Flipper Bat Assembly 2 (resized).jpg
#4767 1 year ago
Quoted from friscopinball:

Does anyone know the part number for the hex spacer/post above the upper playfield flipper? It broke off and I need to order another but I am completely lost.

More likely this....

Upper Playfield Assembly (resized).jpgUpper Playfield Assembly (resized).jpg
2 months later
#4828 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think we figured out the problem: the flail is scraping the ramp, and might be catching on it. We looked for a way to adjust the flail height above the playfield, but that was a no-go.

Make sure the ramp is torqued down really well. I had to locktite the ramp entrance screws to get my ramp to stay down consistently.....it was raised just enough for the flail to touch it making a "tick tick tick" sound as it spun.

1 week later
#4836 1 year ago

Meh. "BKOR Stern Insider Update". Couldn't care less. Fix the damn game play bugs.

1 week later
#4851 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

My auto launch stopped making it to the upper playfield all of a sudden. I’ve replaced the coil sleeve and cleaned the linkage, but that didn’t seem to help. The coil stop looks good, so I am not suspecting any issue there either.
Lastly I upped the coil strength to 240 in the settings which didn’t seem to have any effect. (Unless I picked the wrong setting)
Anyone have tips for that?

Check the alignment of the plunger with the ball. If you can take a video of the ball being plugged and watch it back in slow motion, ensure the plunger is hitting the ball squarely in the middle. If it's off to the side a bit, the ball may not have enough velocity to reach the upper playfield.

1 week later
#4862 1 year ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Our BKSOR Premium is resetting occasionally after updating to 1.13.0
All older code versions seem to be unavailable on Stern website. Not thrilled. Hoping for a fix soon.

I have a BKSOR Premium as well, no IC. My machine is at 1.11.0 (I skipped 1.12.0) and I still have the "sword_of_rage_le-1_11_0.spk.zip" 2.2G binary file if you want it and have a place for me to upload to.

1 week later
#4871 1 year ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Reports like this are why I'm still on 1.01.

If you don't care about IC (and if you're on 1.01 you don't) 1.11.0 is as solid as any release.

2 weeks later
#4894 1 year ago

Anyone grab the 1.14 release today? Yawn....Insider Connect only changes. Seriously doubting we'll ever see gameplay bug fixes.

LE v1.14 - September 20, 2022
==========================
Moved to System 3.22

- Corrected potential game reset issue.

- When entering a WiFi password, the previous characters will be displayed as an asterisk.
- The WiFi password will be displayed as all asterisk when entering the setup screens or scanning
- the WiFi setup QR code.

- Added Service Menu Tech Alert when weak signal strength is detected. The signal strength
- and SSID will be displayed. An average signal strength < 40 is considered weak. A weak
- WiFi signal may contribute to a slower or inconsistent connection which may effect the abilty
- to login or download software updates. Signal strength can be improved by the use of an
- inexpensive WiFi extender. A wired Ethernet connection can also be used in cases where WiFi
- signals are problematic.

- Added Standard Adjustment "ENABLE HOME TEAM IN COINPLAY", default value of NO.
- Setting this to YES will allow Insider Home Team to be available for machines not
- set to Free Play. Normally "USE INSIDER HOME TEAM" is only available in Free Play
- mode. Many home players, who choose to use their game in Coin Play, have requested
- the ability to enjoy Home Team! Setting this this adjustment to YES will default the Home
- Team Guest Retention to Never. If you wish a different setting you will have update that
- adjustment after enabling Home Team in CoinPlay. Home Team is not available for machines
- registered to a Pro account operating in a commercial environment.

- Added Standard Adjustment "REMOVE FRACTIONAL CREDITS". Values are:
- "NEVER" and "AFTER X MINUTES IDLE", where X is between 30 and 240.
- The default value is "NEVER". If the game is idle (no coin or flipper
- switch activity in attract mode) for X minutes, any fractional credits will
- be removed. Whole credits will NOT be removed.

- Added Standard Audit "FRACTIONAL CREDITS REMOVED", which will track the number of
- fractional credits that have been removed when the game was idle.

- Changed the default value for Insider Connected Software Update to "Install updates automatically".

1 week later
#4903 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Looking at BK SOR Pro model. I love the theme and the look of the cabinet is fantastic but I'm old (50+) and whenever I watch videos of game play I can't get past the heavy metal music. Has anyone else ever owned this pin and let it go due to that? Just seems like to much in the YouTube vids.

I'm old, too (55+) but I still enjoy the default/original BKSOR soundtrack. Every once in a while, I'll put on the alternate soundtrack for a change of pace (this is a nice option), but I always go back to the original after a few days.

1 month later
#4948 1 year ago

Sadly, after 3 years of ownership, I'm out of the club. I traded away my one owner HUO 450-play BKSoR Premium this weekend for a one owner HUO 400-play Mandalorian Premium with add-ons (animated Grogu, Mando side armor and shooter knob, quiet fan, and upgraded speakers).

I loved my BKSoR and it looked great next to my restored original 1980 Black Knight. The brutal-ness of BKSoR made me a better player. But the family has spoken. My wife, who normally just rolls her eyes at my pinball hobby (obsession), said she'd play Mandalorian (it's one of her favorite shows). And she wasn't wrong...she played Mandalorian for 2 hours straight after I set it up on Saturday night. That's more pinball than she's played total in 3 years of BKSoR ownership. Getting my family playing my pins was worth the trade alone.

I may get BKSoR again in the future, finances and space permitting. For now, au revoir!

01a (resized).jpg01a (resized).jpg
#4970 1 year ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

yes that's a good description of the stern fix that many people aren't aware exists.

I installed that a couple of years ago - Stern distributors were sending them out to BKSoR owners for free. Don't know if they're still doing that.

If you can't get it free from your distributor and don't mind spending $5 plus shipping, looks like PBL still stocks it:

Install PDF: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Black-Knight-Upper-Playfield-Kit-Instructions.pdf

3 weeks later
#5005 1 year ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Black Knight multiball is really making me want an original to add next to my Premium.

I briefly thought about getting a BK2K to complete the trilogy, but I can't get into that game as much as the OG and SoR. The limited pin space in my rec room is too valuable.

#5012 1 year ago

I have code 1.01 in the machine. I have tried to update to 1.4 but it has failed to load. Help please.

IC support is not in 1.01 so that's not going to work. I believe IC support started in 1.10, and the current code level is 1.14 (I'm assuming your mention of 1.4 is a typo and you meant 1.14).

What does "failed to load" mean, i.e. be more specific with the failure symptom.

#5013 1 year ago

Internet is good. I can get the update screen to come up but then it says load a thumb drive sobits not reading the code fully from the thumb drive

Is your thumb drive FAT32 formatted and is the ZIP file in the root folder of the thumb drive?

#5015 1 year ago

Yes - you do need to extract the ZIP...sorry for the confusion in my earlier post. Extract the ZIP on your computer and it will create a folder with the same name as the ZIP. Copy that folder over to the root of the FAT32 formatted thumb drive and give it another go. Good luck!

#5018 1 year ago

Ok I'm I crazy my machines SD says LE do I need to download LE code?

Premium and LE is the same ZIP/FW file, only the Pro is different.

1 week later
#5042 1 year ago
Quoted from Lovetoplaypinbal:

I am having an issue with the spinning balls hitting the ramp below. This is causing the the spinner to get stuck during game play. Any idea what might be broken or need adjusted? Appreciate the help

It's happened to a lot of us. See this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/38#post-5375647

10 months later
#5338 5 months ago

It's just frustrating that despite BKSOR being "done" there have been several new code drops over the last couple of years, including today, that address a multitude of things few people care about. And now today, "various behind the scenes improvements for correctness and performance". So not quite stick-a-fork-in-it done but apparently done enough that they're unwilling to address any of the bugs or improvement suggestions substantially documented by the people who have spent an arm and a leg purchasing their machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
$ 16.00
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only?tu=Mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.