D0401DAF-583B-455E-80DE-EB0CD4928A88 (resized).jpeg
3B5851CA-C15B-4213-A663-7D13D2B0588A (resized).jpeg
900BD87F-055A-4F1B-B00B-77DBC33A4CA5 (resized).jpeg
582729D3-F332-43FB-8BB3-D3A84D74E28A (resized).jpeg
0831211947_HDR (resized).jpg
0831211835a (resized).jpg
0831211835 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 90.
#4401 5 days ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I still would have loved to see more ways to earn KNIGHT letters to help get there in-game.

What are the ways to earn RANSOM Letters? From each of the modes, Triple Knight MB Super Jackpot, War Hurry Completion, is that all?

#4402 5 days ago
Quoted from shaub:

That ball save addition to Black Castle is a nice change.

That ball save addition to Black Castle SEEMS a nice change

more later with feedback, but than no carry over next ball
i suppose Tim final choice remain to not play the game as it (and even if i was hopping to have this as a menu option, i can say i finally dont like this on IRON MAN & JERICHO, having to finish it in 1 ball is way more exciting)

#4403 5 days ago
Quoted from shaub:

What are the ways to earn RANSOM Letters? From each of the modes, Triple Knight MB Super Jackpot, War Hurry Completion, is that all?

Yeah, I think those are all. I mostly only see them from modes. WAR are dangerous death shots. Yeah, I still get suckered into trying, but usually regret it, LOL. I can rarely keep Triple Knight going long enough to get a super. Yeah I know..play better. But there could have been way more ways of earning them. Super Skill Shot especially, which would give a reason to actually bother with it. As of now, no reason to try for the SSS since you are giving up a WAR letter to hit it.

#4404 5 days ago

Is the ball save only for the challenge mode though?

#4405 5 days ago

Hopefully I am missing it, but was really hoping some of the 'bugs' Jesder noted would be addressed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/86#post-6502608

Still quite happy for the new challenge modes.. seems like a great feature, when you have got a little time to try to compete for that score

#4406 5 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Is the ball save only for the challenge mode though?

No, they added a ball save to the start of Black Castle and also for each of the non-knight progression shots (if I'm reading correctly). Hopefully that ball save is long enough to safely get a couple hits in on the knight before moving on to the next progression shot. It's not the "outer" shots that are dangerous...it's the knight shots where you need to hit all three of them between each outer shot.

#4407 5 days ago

All the various updates are driven by Insider Connect and in the future more revenue stream. Agreed.

Quoted from Mathazar:

After more than a year since the last code update, and all the chatter and build-up since then, this is a bit underwhelming to me. Nice they added a ball save to Black Castle but this code drop is just being driven by the desire for Stern to add the Insider Connected feature and generate another revenue stream (with a couple of fixes and tweaks thrown in). The pessimist in me says that if it wasn't for the Stern Insider Connected feature, there wouldn't be a code update for SOR. Could you imagine the outrage if a new SOR code drop included ONLY the Stern Insider Connected feature?
Would love to be proven wrong....perhaps this is a restart of more regular SOR updates?

#4408 5 days ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Yeah, I think those are all. I mostly only see them from modes. WAR are dangerous death shots. Yeah, I still get suckered into trying, but usually regret it, LOL. I can rarely keep Triple Knight going long enough to get a super. Yeah I know..play better. But there could have been way more ways of earning them. Super Skill Shot especially, which would give a reason to actually bother with it. As of now, no reason to try for the SSS since you are giving up a WAR letter to hit it.

I feel like things like, X# of ball save standup completion, X# of magna save target bank completions, maybe "u-turns" as well. And I've also noticed if you have KNIGHT spelled out, and get another letter, it wont carryover to your 2nd KNIGHT completion.

#4409 5 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Would love to be proven wrong....perhaps this is a restart of more regular SOR updates?

No way is this going to happen. They’re done making these and it wasn’t a hot title. Unfortunately Tim needs to work on other games. Would I like it if Tim polished the game more on his own time like Lyman used to do? Yes, but unfortunately the code that is in the game now is what we all get and it’s honestly pretty lackluster.

#4410 5 days ago

Already found a couple of bugs in the new code. One minor one major.

First time I got TKK with this new code, the animation and music cut short about halfway through like if you hit both flippers.

Major bug is with the Retro Black Knight Multiball Challenge. Was playing this mode and when the third ball timed out with the 10 second count down and killed the game, I hit the start button. It didn’t start a new game but instead reloaded all 3 balls with a fresh challenge and 3x multiplier but BUILDING on my prior score! Then AGAIN after the third ball drained (but this time I didn’t press Start or anything) it launched a NEW three balls and a new 3x multiplier and stacked the score on top of the prior 6 balls of score!

Interestingly the high score during the entering of initials was ONLY the score from the real first three balls. Seems like a big glitch, though.

#4411 5 days ago

Another thing that makes no Sense and is just lazy coding is having the extra ball lit during Ransom challenge mode. Why? There is no playing an extra ball? Why award its and also actually kick out the extra ball at the end onto a dead field?!

#4412 5 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Aaaand another bug. During The Kings Ransom Challenge mode, the shield awarded me an extra ball (animation and all). After the challenge mode ended, it did in fact kick another ball out and launch it but the field was still dead so it just drained.
Doesn’t seem like the code was well thought out or scrubbed on this update.

I had the same exact thing happen.

#4413 5 days ago

Wow what a mess of a code!

Start a Ransom Challenge and then press Start while the game is doing the BK2000 animations.

The ball launches and you can play it in complete darkness on the playfield and it tallies points. You can also earn the extra ball discussed above. Then when the animation is over, it STARTS BEING THE NORMAL GAME! But you have all the points hurt earned in Ransom for about 20 seconds.

I beat a monster and earned ANOTHER extra ball and played them all (ball one + 2 extra balls) but then after that the game cuts and ends. Man oh man.

#4414 5 days ago

So.... what you guys are saying is don't upgrade until these issues have been addressed?

#4415 5 days ago

Black Knight has been ruined! Definitely don’t update if you haven’t yet. Game is ruined!

#4416 5 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Another thing that makes no Sense and is just lazy coding is having the extra ball lit during Ransom challenge mode. Why? There is no playing an extra ball? Why award its and also actually kick out the extra ball at the end onto a dead field?!

Chuck, why downvote this? Do you enjoy 10 seconds of useless animation and then the game wasting 20 more seconds kicking a whole new ball out for zero reason on a dead field, after the game is over? If that’s enjoyable to you then by all means applaud stern for their thoughtful code.

#4417 5 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

New:
- Added 2 Challenge Modes, selectable at game start with unique high score leaderboards:

How does this work exactly? Is it a popup menu with the choice of a regular game and challenge mode game?

#4418 5 days ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

How does this work exactly? Is it a popup menu with the choice of a regular game and challenge mode game?

just hold the flippers like DJ mixer mode or tournament mode

#4419 5 days ago

They’re looking into this, had a chat with George Gomez on messenger and he got very defensive which shocked me. Fingers crossed it gets fixed asap

#4420 5 days ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

So.... what you guys are saying is don't upgrade until these issues have been addressed?

That’s the “take-home” point I’m reading between the lines.

I decided long ago to stay far away from any software update with a version number ending in zero, regardless of the manufacturer or device, and it has no doubt saved me from a heap of frustration!

Hopefully we’ll soon get a “.1” fix, as the added features are definitely desirable.

#4421 5 days ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

That is kind of what it sounds like.

I bet a bunch of these code drops for all the various games to promote the insider connect might possibly expose new bugs in other titles too? Might make sense to use caution updating for now ?? Don't know, but just maybe caution is warranted.

#4422 5 days ago

After this code update Stern is doing another run of the topper!!

#4423 5 days ago

The crappy thing is it’s swell you can use the IC in these g Ames now, but you can’t buy the retrofit kit yet for any of these games. Also seems like they thru some quick ‘updates’ in so it’d seem like it’s a game update when it’s really about being able to do Insider Connected.

#4424 5 days ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

That’d be great!

#4425 5 days ago
Quoted from Andydn:

They’re looking into this, had a chat with George Gomez on messenger and he got very defensive which shocked me. Fingers crossed it gets fixed asap

Did you experience any problems beyond those already mentioned by ezatnova?

I am not sure how to read into Gomez’s demeanor, as defensiveness is a bit out of character for him. Perhaps they are getting inundated with problems (several titles had updates released today), and he is feeling a little overwhelmed? Regardless, if he says they are working on it I tend to believe him, so hopefully it won’t be too long.

#4426 4 days ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

When and how can I get in on this?

#4427 4 days ago

I'm usually a huge Stern defender, but man...you have to wonder if they even bothered loading this new code onto a machine before releasing it. How do you not notice these issues immediately? This isn't the only code with major issues either. They completely botched LZ's EM multiball too. When will they learn you work twice as hard fixing the mistakes you made by rushing versus taking your time and doing it right?

#4428 4 days ago

oh boy... first game after update and i score a paltry 102M. apparently i got the retro and ransom mode high scores despite the fact that i didn't reach either of them. and i dont know what's up with the bottom strip of blocks on the LCD that show 'Player 1/You're Up'. seems awfully unnecessary and i dont care for it.

sadfsf (resized).jpg
#4429 4 days ago

What is going on here STERN?????????? This rushed code is a mess!!!!! And WHY IS THERE NO CATAPULT MULTIBALL EVERYONE WAS HOPING AND ASKING FOR ON THE PRO????

#4430 4 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Chuck, why downvote this? Do you enjoy 10 seconds of useless animation and then the game wasting 20 more seconds kicking a whole new ball out for zero reason on a dead field, after the game is over? If that’s enjoyable to you then by all means applaud stern for their thoughtful code.

As someone who has been in SW dev my whole career, I just about did.. Just calling out people's work as lazy.. or making assumptions can be frustrating. Maybe you are correct, or maybe there was some integration issue, or maybe it was missed for who knows what reason, or maybe it was known, and management said, whatev's we're releasing it and you can fix it later...

Yes, it's frustrating.. and from the thread, I'll hold off updating my machine. Sorry you all had to discover issues, but I think it's still a net win, and I think that these issues will get addressed from the sound of it.

#4431 4 days ago

Wow.. Normally I race to get new code on my machines. But based on what I'm reading here, I'm going to hold off updating. What a let down

I'm sorry to those of you who updated and are encountering all these issues. I've never tried, but are you able to downgrade back to 1.02 until timballs can get the issues fixed?

I've worked in game development before and always on launch day (or update day) - you have a lot more people effectively playing (and testing) the release than what you have in house. So bugs will be found. It's disappoiting though that there seem to be some very obvious bugs that should have prevented this going out. As koji points out though, it can be management making the call to release and fix later - I've experienced that. However the end result for us (the end user) when such obvious bugs make it through is it doesn't matter - it's not good enough.

I'm disappointed reading the release notes. Bugs I pointed out in earlier posts (and emails sent to the Stern bug report address) have been ignored. I'm going to resend the email now with those bugs (minus the feature improvements). Since Tim will be fixing newly reported issues, perhaps those can be fixed now too.

Tweaks to Black Castle are welcome and is probably a nice half way point between Tim's original vision for the mode and what we've asked for. I think that's fair and a welcome change in the update.

The addition of challenge modes (two!) is nice - I love challenge modes as they add some variety to the game. So thank you to Tim for that. I feel the inclusion of the retro BK2K mode as a challenge mode is a way to make it playable to everyone as most players will never reach it in game (and when you do - the long journey there results in just 60 seconds of play). I still think Tim needs to have the retro mode selectable / controlable in game for much needed variety - but at least now those who have never reached it can play and enjoy it. So that's good.

I'm really not sure these modes work as challenge modes though. Having them as challenge modes allows players to practice them, but BK retro mode has no real depth to it to practice. Simply hit all lit shots and then repeat. It's dull in game and making it a challenge mode without adding dpeth to it's rules won't change that. The real value in that mode is having multiple supers levelled up before starting it. In BK2K you play for 60 seconds and then it's done. This offers a bit more of a challenge, but I think will get stale quickly. I'd like to experience them both as challenge modes first though before final judgement on them.

I still like my idea better of a Boss Rush challenge mode where you are challenged to complete the bosses as fast as possible - I think that offers far better replay value. But I'm biased... hehe

#4432 4 days ago

My take away here- is people that have or want this pin are quite passionate about it. Myself included. I expect Stern will fix the most recent software update bugs (hopefully in short order). We may never get all the software upgrades we seek, but man, this pin is a real beauty.
I keep dreaming of more toppers.. cash in hand ready
Cheers

#4433 4 days ago
Quoted from pinhi:

My take away here- is people that have or want this pin are quite passionate about it. Myself included. I expect Stern will fix the most recent software update bugs (hopefully in short order). We may never get all the software upgrades we seek, but man, this pin is a real beauty.
Cheers

That’s the truth, this game really gets under your skin!

Don’t know what it is, but this is definitely a “pinball player’s pin” in the same way that Allan Holdsworth and Steve Vai are “musician’s musicians”.

I got lucky with a topper in early 2020; I know the desire is high out there, and I’m conflicted. We still love it and think it “completes” the game, but at the same time it’s hard to ignore that I could probably realize a 500% return on the “investment”. That being said, I feel gouging my pinball brothers and sisters like that would be kind of a dick move, and I’d prefer to be one of the “good guys”; however, THAT being said I’m no chump either, so the idea of benevolently selling at cost is also hard to swallow! (Therefore, it stays where it is.)

#4434 4 days ago
Quoted from pinhi:

Stern, TAKE MY MONEY!

#4435 4 days ago
Quoted from pinhi:My take away here- is people that have or want this pin are quite passionate about it. Myself included. I expect Stern will fix the most recent software update bugs (hopefully in short order). We may never get all the software upgrades we seek, but man, this pin is a real beauty.
Cheers

Yeah I really didn't care that much about this game at first, then one day at an arcade it "clicked" and now I absolutely love it. Gonna have a tough time selling my Pro - might need to extend the game room instead.

#4436 4 days ago

PLayed the updated code today on my LE. Played Catapult Multiball, Tripple Knight Challenge and Retro but could not find anything wrong with the code. The 2 challenge modes the first is just the first retro mode so that I knwo the seocnd is indeed Kings Ransom which goes dark I do not know if that is normal because I never made it there in the game. So what does this code make the game unplayable/ruined?

#4437 4 days ago
Quoted from Initiative:

oh boy... first game after update and i score a paltry 102M. apparently i got the retro and ransom mode high scores despite the fact that i didn't reach either of them. and i dont know what's up with the bottom strip of blocks on the LCD that show 'Player 1/You're Up'. seems awfully unnecessary and i dont care for it.[quoted image]

Yes this is new, I do not undertstand why this is implemented? There are just 3 empty slots when you play alone. Maybe this game isn't meant to be played alone

#4438 4 days ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Maybe this game isn't meant to be played alone

ahh touche!

#4439 4 days ago

I can confirm you can go back to the old firmware from a backup or other SD card. Boards firmware will be downgraded also.(pro)
I got speech and music cutoffs. Especially at the beginning of deep freeze and got stuck at the Retro BK2000 challenge looping over and over again.

#4440 4 days ago

How does one start the new modes anyway?

#4441 4 days ago
Quoted from sulli10:

How does one start the new modes anyway?

If it's like other Stern games, hold both flipper buttons in during attract mode to bring up the mode selection menu. Then use the flipper buttons to scroll through the mode selection and press start to choose.

#4442 4 days ago

When will the new code be corrected?

#4443 4 days ago

St. Swivens day.

(Whenever Tim fixes it, and god forbid, tests it. He also jacked up LZ so that may be the priority)

#4444 4 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

When will the new code be corrected?

I'd be thinking a few days at least. There's no way the next update goes out without a lot more testing. The fact that both Black Knight AND LZ have issues - both are Tim games - it's not a good reflection. So I would expect (...and hope) more time is taken to ensure quality.

Meanwhile, Stern really should pull the 1.10 code updates for BK and perhaps LZ off the site until the bugs are sorted.

Hopefully those who did upgrade and encountered the issues have been able to cleanly document them into an email and send to the Stern bug report address. That should assist in speeding up fixes.

Having said that, I sent through detailed report emails 6 and 12 months ago with bugs from 1.02 that he's never addressed. I was tempted to upgrade last night anyway and test so I could document the bugs and report - but given Tim has ignored other bugs reported, I'll leave it.

#4445 4 days ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

Stern, TAKE MY MONEY!

For games I like the most, absolutely I want the topper. Lol

#4446 3 days ago
Quoted from Jesder:

I'd be thinking a few days at least. There's no way the next update goes out without a lot more testing. The fact that both Black Knight AND LZ have issues - both are Tim games - it's not a good reflection. So I would expect (...and hope) more time is taken to ensure quality.
Meanwhile, Stern really should pull the 1.10 code updates for BK and perhaps LZ off the site until the bugs are sorted.
Hopefully those who did upgrade and encountered the issues have been able to cleanly document them into an email and send to the Stern bug report address. That should assist in speeding up fixes.
Having said that, I sent through detailed report emails 6 and 12 months ago with bugs from 1.02 that he's never addressed. I was tempted to upgrade last night anyway and test so I could document the bugs and report - but given Tim has ignored other bugs reported, I'll leave it.

Exactly my point. Months back I posted my disappointment reguarding how Tim was refusing to do the job he has been paid to do by all of us and fix/update this game. Some A**Clown in here previously suggested that if people asked..."nicely" Tim might cooperate. Hey A**Clown! It did not work and now Tim has left the paying customer with a half POS garbage code!!! Heavy is the crown.

#4447 3 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Exactly my point. Months back I posted my disappointment reguarding how Tim was refusing to do the job he has been paid to do by all of us and fix/update this game. Some A**Clown in here previously suggested that if people asked..."nicely" Tim might cooperate. Hey A**Clown! It did not work and now Tim has left the paying customer with a half POS garbage code!!! Heavy is the crown.

The new buggy code is really, really disappointing. Stern is well aware of many issues right now from this so called update, so the real question is if will be addressed.

#4448 3 days ago

I think your delivery is not good, at all, but I will agree that I've been disappointed in the development and fixes code on both this and LZ. Tim is becoming the new Dwight and it's going to make me much less likely to buy one of his titles.

The fact that they were holding on to all these updates to release them at the same time giving them extra time to test and they were still jacked up is a real head scratcher. I know some other code guys at Stern use external beta testers, maybe Tim needs to follow suit if they're not going to put the updates through the paces themselves. I'm sure people would be falling over themselves to volunteer.

#4449 3 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I think your delivery is not good, at all, but I will agree that I've been disappointed in the development and fixes code on both this and LZ. Tim is becoming the new Dwight and it's going to make me much less likely to buy one of his titles.
The fact that they were holding on to all these updates to release them at the same time giving them extra time to test and they were still jacked up is a real head scratcher. I know some other code guys at Stern use external beta testers, maybe Tim needs to follow suit if they're not going to put the updates through the paces themselves. I'm sure people would be falling over themselves to volunteer.

Poor Dwight. I don't know all of the stories I'm sure.. I was always frustrated with my T3 code, but he also is attributed with ST-TNG, TSPP and many other well regarded titles. Always some issues, but complex games for sure.

#4450 3 days ago
Quoted from koji:

but he also is attributed with ST-TNG, TSPP and many other well regarded titles. Always some issues, but complex games for sure.

I'm sure those games were well tested before release. These days, it seems that if "does it flip?" is answered with a yes, the game or update is rushed out the door.

I wouldn't blame Tim for these problems. This is a job to Tim, and Tim shouldn't work for free. Someone should ask Gary Stern to pay his engineers to finish their damn games regardless of how well they sell, or at least give them incentives based on sales of a title. Moreover, Gary should be paying people to test the living hell out of these things before they hit the streets be it the launch version or an update. This doesn't seem to be the case, at all.

It'd be great if software engineers worked on these things on their own time, but I don't expect them to do that. Nobody should have to work for free, and I highly doubt Gary would compensate his engineers for their time if they'd make a miraculous update that turns a decent game into something incredible (kinda like what Lyman did with Metallica).

There are 4,460 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 90.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside