IMG_1932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1926 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1925 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1788 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1776 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1765 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,590 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 112.
#3601 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

I think you might be right on the lack of a call out when the sword is charged. It's a good idea, and certainly something that would add to the polish.
I added the list from my older post to my post above to save you time searching for it.
I completely agree with you that the game feels about 85% finished. Despite my long list, there is a lot of good in this game for both PRO and Prem/LE owners. But I think in its current state, Tim has let himself (and owners) down with the lack of polish. Especially when I see other games getting solid updates. I hold out hope though.
Will keep an eye out for your next podcast!

Thanks man.

One other immediate thought that I had and didn't see is that it would be nice if the enemies that you fight had a health bar, like in Deadpool. It's just a nice touch that connects you to the game and helps indicate how close you are to beating it.

#3602 3 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Thanks man.
One other immediate thought that I had and didn't see is that it would be nice if the enemies that you fight had a health bar, like in Deadpool. It's just a nice touch that connects you to the game and helps indicate how close you are to beating it.

Yeah I've thought about a health bar being part of the game too. For a theme like this, it makes more sense than a timer. Not just for the monsters, but for the player also. The animations during the monster battles show them attacking you, but it doesn't actually translate to anything. Again, more polish that could/should be added to see this game actully reach it's potential.

#3603 3 years ago

Thanks man.

I agree, that's a good idea. It's a super fun game, and with it turned up and a subwoofer kicking at you, it's a real rush... will certainly be nice to see some code polish.

#3604 3 years ago

I do not like that bar style. You always see how many shots you need to make, once a shot is made. Also I like the timer. That is more clear to me than a bar that just decreases if an enemy hits you. Also I like you can progress in this game with the next ball on the mode. Not like Avengers where you drain you loose the gem.

#3605 3 years ago
Quoted from Snugs:

quick survey. how much would you pay for a routed Black Night Sword Pro w/ 10k plays on it? Cosmetics 8.5/9 outta 10. Pin has been taken care of while out earning. no known or obvious problems. debating buying NOT the seller. offering 4k seem fair?

So did you buy it yet?

#3606 3 years ago

Got to classic black knight multiball for the first time and boy was that a blast! Love how the original backglass came up on the LCD.

With the custom Rammstein soundtrack this pin will never leave. I am an average player so still haven’t come close to beating the game. I still am having fun and enjoying the hell out of this game.

#3607 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I do not like that bar style. You always see how many shots you need to make, once a shot is made. Also I like the timer. That is more clear to me than a bar that just decreases if an enemy hits you. Also I like you can progress in this game with the next ball on the mode. Not like Avengers where you drain you loose the gem.

You wouldn't have to get rid of a mode timer if you included a bar. And you could even have text saying how many shots left. In other words, it doesn't have to be an either/or thing.

#3608 3 years ago

ok, so mid-game on my BKSOR Premium, plastic #37 comes sliding down the playfield.... Tried and tried but can't figure out where it came from.

Anyone know?

#3609 3 years ago
Quoted from TTARider:

ok, so mid-game on my BKSOR Premium, plastic #37 comes sliding down the playfield.... Tried and tried but can't figure out where it came from.
Anyone know?

Start reading here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/59#post-5848498

Looks like it happens to everyone, eventually.

#3610 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Video to check out the alternate soundtrack:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SaUkXPAa3z6ogsEE7
Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1egVqrLHmdObIs_hFZv73lqySNQDXcW_e/view?usp=sharing
Nothing to lose by trying it out since you'll burn that image to a new SD card. Pop out your SD card, insert this one and you can swap back and forth. You won't lose settings or high score because they're saved on your original SD card.

How big of an SD card is needed?

#3611 3 years ago
Quoted from TTARider:

Anyone know?

And while you’re fixing that, remove every screw and nut you can physically get to and blue loctite it. They will all come lose especially if you have a shaker, which you should lol

#3612 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterTinkerer:

8GB

#3613 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterTinkerer:

Get a 16gb. The file is just under 8 gigs and an 8 gig card doesn’t have a full 8 gig usable. Get a 16gb walmart for under $6. I used it for my STh and BKSOR.
00B43A99-4035-4DE1-B56A-51887FF8E320 (resized).png00B43A99-4035-4DE1-B56A-51887FF8E320 (resized).png

#3614 3 years ago

Thanks! now I just need to source a new screw, one of them is missing

#3615 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Get a 16gb. The file is just under 8 gigs and an 8 gig card doesn’t have a full 8 gig usable. Get a 16gb walmart for under $6. I used it for my STh and BKSOR.
[quoted image]

While it only requires an 8 gig card, that is also the size of the stock card. Yes you might as well buy a 16 gig card because that might Be the lowest capacity option these days anyway.

#3616 3 years ago

Brothers in Rage,

2 questions...

1. Today while playing the #37 plastic fell off... I don't know where it goes... does anyone know ?

2. Also noticed I blew the rubber under the upper play field... pretty much guess I have to remove upper play field to replace it but does anyone know what size it is ?

20210214_174200 (resized).jpg20210214_174200 (resized).jpg20210214_175337 (resized).jpg20210214_175337 (resized).jpg
#3617 3 years ago
Quoted from jbigdoggf:

Brothers in Rage,

2 questions...

1. Today while playing the #37 plastic fell off... I don't know where it goes... does anyone know ?

Scroll up 7 posts (6hrs ago).

#3618 3 years ago

Number 37 goes under the launch ramp

60BA1711-6F00-4D15-B047-CD1FDA8765B8 (resized).jpeg60BA1711-6F00-4D15-B047-CD1FDA8765B8 (resized).jpegD6CC2C97-DAD9-4F53-8BAB-1CE88ADC5916 (resized).jpegD6CC2C97-DAD9-4F53-8BAB-1CE88ADC5916 (resized).jpeg
#3619 3 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Scroll up 7 posts (6hrs ago).

That's awesome timing. Thank you!

#3620 3 years ago

Joined the club last week, trading out a well modded Avatar for a premium BK. It's a blast. Plays entirely different than any of my other tables, the small playfield punishes my bad shots. Still have yet to successfully activate a magna save, it seems like if the ball is going to drain right side, it's going without bouncing around.

#3621 3 years ago
Quoted from Rik_:Joined the club last week, trading out a well modded Avatar for a premium BK. It's a blast. Plays entirely different than any of my other tables, the small playfield punishes my bad shots. Still have yet to successfully activate a magna save, it seems like if the ball is going to drain right side, it's going without bouncing around.

Welcome to the club! You’ll learn with the magnasave...

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#3622 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Welcome to the club! You’ll learn with the magnasave...

After 2 years with BK and 1.5 years with BKSOR, my muscle memory still fails me often. On BKSOR, I will occasionally go for the it's-not-there magnasave button by the flippers and on BK I will occasionally go for the it's-not-there magnasave button on the lockdown bar. My son loves to tell me "Dad, it's not there" each time he sees me do it.

IMG_7378 (resized).jpgIMG_7378 (resized).jpg
#3623 3 years ago

Even if you have the reaction time, the magnasave on BK:SOR is weak compared to the original and pretty much every other game with magnasave ever made. Not sure if it's physically weaker, positioned worse, or if it's just due to the higher ball speed on the new games. Maybe a combination of all the above, but it's a significant difference. My old BK could suck a ball back out of the outlane a good inch or more down. With SOR you need to use it as an insurance policy. If in doubt, use it. If you know it's going to drain, it's already gone. I laugh when I hear people talk about drilling a hole in the cabinet thinking it's going to make a difference. It's not. Only reason to do that is if you just plain want the button there. It won't help in game play.

#3624 3 years ago

Yeah the magnasave on mine you have to hit it well before it's committed to the outlane to save it.

#3625 3 years ago

The current lineup.

PXL_20210213_165338406 (resized).jpgPXL_20210213_165338406 (resized).jpg
#3626 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Video to check out the alternate soundtrack:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SaUkXPAa3z6ogsEE7
Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1egVqrLHmdObIs_hFZv73lqySNQDXcW_e/view?usp=sharing
Nothing to lose by trying it out since you'll burn that image to a new SD card. Pop out your SD card, insert this one and you can swap back and forth. You won't lose settings or high score because they're saved on your original SD card.

AWESOME work on the soundtrack... like it a lot!

I think that some Metallica could mix in there pretty well too!

Thanks a bunch!

#3627 3 years ago

Man, I really dig this game. Fast and brutal gameplay and music...just good stuff.

While certainly not for everyone, when I really love a game, i tend to further engage with the game and further create a world under glass.

Theme of the game is to fight the Black Knight and his Skeleton Warrior minions (along with other fantastical creatures), and I tapped into the fantasy side of things (which I like) and added some items:
Along with this adventure, I added a fair amount of lighting to highlight the new items triggered to each of the spinners, along with the GI. I do have Pinstadiums which I have hooked to the left spinner that offers the UV glow (which I find cool), but when you rip the middle loop spinner there are 4 (alternating red/amber) LED strips above the back playfield that glow down like a fire burning, double flashers that highlight the two black knights on either side of the ramp that strobe along with the spinner, as well as hidden amber-colored LEDs that glow within the two VUK areas that occur when the middle spinner is triggered...makes you want to rip that spinner even more!!!.... There is an added coned light on the left highlighting the herd of rampaging Skeleton Warriors, as well as Comet Fire bulbs x 2 on each back corner hooked to GI creating a burning glow at the Black Knight figure in the back left (that I found online and painted/modified to match better and then opted to use this figure as opposed to the 2D plastic figure) and on the Knight on horse in the back right (from ModFather, which I opted to use to replace the 2D BK on horse plastic). I also added additional coned lighting at the slings which have red lighting (which I found enriches the red in the center of the playfield). I changed out all Stern cool white bulbs for frosted Comet sunlights and added a frosted Comet Sunlight trough light to help balance the cool glow from the pre-installed lights that shine onto the playfield from the apron. I did add the swords on the flippers, but as opposed to placing them on the black flat vinyl flipper stickers that they come with, I opted to stick them to the wooden flipper top bases, which I think looks cool.

All in all, I really think the game looks great. Nothing seems to take away from anything, everything feels balanced and there are no obstructions in viewing of the playfield during gameplay and there is a lot to look at and enjoy both from a figure and lighting integration standpoint.
Anyway, I thought Id share for those who may enjoy this too
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpgPXL_20210218_133721074~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210218_133721074~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210218_133345099~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20210218_133345099~2 (resized).jpg
#3628 3 years ago

Well done, very nice and everything is well placed. I really enjoy my BKSOR, its really unique in its own way.

#3629 3 years ago

Out of curiosity are there any software updates to come for BKSOR. I noticed a few mentioning that the game feels 75% complete and some call outs, graphics and modes need to be completed/polished.

I've only been playing it for a few weeks and absolutely love it, my experience level isn't quite there yet. I'm wondering what else needs to be completed to make BKSOR 100%.

#3630 3 years ago
Quoted from Angel:

Out of curiosity are there any software updates to come for BKSOR. I noticed a few mentioning that the game feels 75% complete and some call outs, graphics and modes need to be completed/polished.
I've only been playing it for a few weeks and absolutely love it, my experience level isn't quite there yet. I'm wondering what else needs to be completed to make BKSOR 100%.

There's no official (or unofficial) word on any future updates at the moment sadly. The 1.02 update was a big let down, so hopefully it doesn't end there. I posted a list of improvements / bugs little while back - which I'll include below from my original post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put together a list of bugs and feature improvements awhile back. I've cleaned it up a bit as Tim did address some things in the 1.01 update at the start of the year. This list is based on my experience with my PRO, with just under 1700 games. The lists are not in any particular order and the improvements are only based on my own opinion - so I don't speak for everyone with the things I list. Some of the improvements are not likely to ever happen, but will list them anyway

--= BUGS =--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Magma Beast fight]
This is assuming you're not using the sword of rage. By default this mode requires 8 shots to complete. When you clear all 7 lit shots, it should then relight all 7. It only relights 6, with the last shot you hit not relighting. This crept in with the 1.02 update.

[Mode intro music]
Easiest way to replicate this is to have a monster mode active and then shoot the left saucer to start Knight mode. The Knight retro music will start playing while the monster mode complete screens play out. The lit shots on retro mode 1 will also start playing here too. The retro music will then reset once the Knight mode intro starts. Another way to see this is to light mystery and start Black Castle. The Black castle music will play over the top of mystery and then reset once the Black Castle intro starts. This could be more of a polish item, but as a coder, I view it as a bug.

[Lich Lords Sword of Rage]
The Lich Lords is the one mode you don't want to activate the sword of rage in as it will result in less points. All other monster battles (beside Black Castle) are made easier AND more valuable scoring wise by activating the sword. Here though, the mode is made easier with all shots lit and only 4 shots to complete - but this results in less points being available (even though each shot is worth more with the sword active). You're better off not using the sword, clearing the 3 shots and then doing it again. The way I think this mode should play out (to keep it in line with the other monster battles with the sword active) is to light all shots (currently happens) but instead of only requiring 4 shots to complete, each shot needs to be hit twice. First to tag and the second to clear. Do this for 4 shots to complete the mode. This keeps the battle in the same format and would then reward the player with the proper points for using the sword in this mode instead of penalizing them.

[Average Scores audit]
This value has always shown 00, so is never updated. This audit may have no use in BK, but though I'd list it anyway.

--= IMPROVEMENTS =--

[Monster intros]
The ROARS that were in the monster intros at 1.00 were fantastic. The Lich Lords and Hydra were awesome! My neighbors could be forgiven for thinking all hell was being unleashed next door. These were sadly nerfed with the 1.01 update and now sound far too soft. They need to be restored to their proper glory. This is Black Knight - Sword of Rage, not The Black Knight - Petting Zoo.

[Retro Mode 1]
This mode has an awesome soundtrack and I love the retro sfx. But I find it really uninspiring to shoot. It's a mini wizard mode that's not easy to reach so should be rewarding. The lit shots are not worth much (even after the 1.02 update) and there's no interesting logic or advancement to the mode. Simply clear the shots and start over again. No additional rules or even an extra ball available. The mode relies far too heavily on having multiple supers active and leveled up - but that requires so much set up that most players will never be able to take full advantage of the mode. Add to the fact that if you lose your ball right before starting the mode, the best you could hope for is all supers at level 2, which still requires a lot of set up and presents risk that isn't worth the payoff at that point.

[Black Castle]
All other monster battles let you continue when lose your ball. Even if they time out, you can start them again by hitting the flail/knight/shield X number of times. After all the effort in reaching this battle, it's so deflating being sent back to the start should you fail. There's no ball save at the start. No ball save available with in the mode. You can't stack multi ball with it. You're forced to hit the 3 most dangerous shots in the game 12 times. The flail and shield are well known for sending the ball straight down the middle with no opportunity for the player to react. By all means have an option to send the player back to the start under comp settings. But in the home environment, the current set up should never have been the default. It otherwise has an awesome music track and is an enjoyable shot layout to battle against the Black Knight. But the way in which the player is punished (often due to bad luck from the shield or flail) is not fun.

[Instant Info]
Right now instant info does not show information of the progress of U-Turns towards the next award. It would be good to also see here what the current value of each super is worth. For example: Super pops - level 2 - 50K, Super slings - level 1 - 15K, etc.

[U-Turn progress animation]
The number of u-turns required until the next award can often be hidden behind the skeleton animation that plays over the top of it. This often makes it hard to determine how many more you need until the next extra ball is ready - especially when the number is below 10. The animation needs to be moved or the text moved to make this easier to read. Even some call outs here would help.

[Multiball Progress UI]
I'd love to see the Triple Knights Challenge multiball progress shown on the main UI. Yes it's viewable in the Instant Info screens, but I see value in having this added as small orbs/gems that light based on what you have locked. As a player I can instantly see where I'm at with the progress and factor that into my play.

[Challenge mode]
I love the challenge mode in my JP. When I'm tired of the normal game, I love playing Escape Nublar. On top of that, I can either play it for points OR speed run it since it has high score tables for both. It just adds a nice layer of variety onto an already polished game. Some sort of boss rush mode or challenge mode against the Black Knight and his army would be a great alternative to the normal game that gives players more options when switching the game on.

[U-Turns]
Right now there are only 2 awards from U-Turns - extra balls at set levels. Most players will never reach the second extra ball level. This could have other awards available as you progress the counter like KNIGHT letters, points, 2X playfield scoring, ball save, etc. It doesn't need to be locked at just 2 awards.

[Supers]
This is one my real annoyances with the game scoring and has been for some time. In their current form, I find them mostly useless. When you activate a super, it's random. There's no way of knowing which super you'll get. I can't use skill to activate supers I want. I have to rely on the RNG gods and pray it's pops or spinner. I find it limiting too that the supers get cleared out on losing a ball or collection. I find that collecting the super jackpot is only ever worthwhile after Retro mode 1 - that's only IF I managed to get some supers active before starting it. Otherwise, the few million points that builds up just isn't worth spending my magna save. Speaking of which...
The other thing is collecting supers via the magna save - ok, it was an idea and it's been tested - but it's just not good. As a player, I should not have to sacrifice my magna save AND have it hit the right return lane switch to collect the super jackpot. Right now, I will always shoot the ball either to the ramp or left saucer and press the action button while the ball returns down the rail. The game plays the magna save animation and triggers the magnet, but the ball is safely on the rail.
I don't know what the right way to improve supers are. In a game with limited content, I'd love to bring them into my play more. But I don't find there's enough payoff in general play and no real reason to use them.

[Knight letters]
Right now it's far too difficult to spell Knight twice to reach the second retro mode. Only 1 letter is available from each monster. It's a very, very rare mystery award. You can get one by advancing far enough into multi ball. All others are from WAR hurry up, which is often dangerous since it's always the same 3 central targets that can each result in a straight down the middle response. There are a number of other ways they can be awarded. U-Turns, skill shots, drop targets, pop bumpers, etc.

[Retro mode selection]
Two issues I have with the second Knight mode (RANSOM) - 1) It's near impossible to reach (only been there 3 times in 1700 games) and 2) It's a short 60 second mode - which means it's over all so quickly after the very long journey to get there. Allow the player to select which Knight mode they want to play once they spell KNIGHT. It allows the player to have some variety in which retro mode they play and also allows players to make a decision based on strategy - Do I have lots of supers going? Then retro mode 1 seems like a good move. Limited or no supers? Retro mode 2 makes more sense.

[Additional multiball on PRO]
Right now on the PRO, most players will only ever see Triple Knights Challenge and Retro Mode 1. Retro Mode 2 - RANSOM - as fun as it is, is locked behind such a difficult wall most will never see it. Same for RAGE - which is locked behind having to defeat the Black Knight on 1 ball. This leaves PRO owners with only 2 accessible multiball modes. The game is crying out for either a smaller 2 ball multiball and/or the inclusion of Catapult multiball. The game already has all the assets for catapult, so a chunk of the work is done. It's been mentioned before that it could be done by lighting locks via the drop target bank.

[More lower level content]
If Retro mode 2 and RAGE absolutely have to be locked away behind difficult requirements, then more obtainable lower level things need to be there for the average player to enjoy. Combo shots or Mini battle challenges for example.

[Secondary monsters in each realm]
I have sometimes wondered if originally there were plans for multiple monsters in each of the realms - perhaps for second play through once you get beyond the Black Castle. Or even to add variety each time you play. This would certainly be a nice addition to help add that extra layer of variety to the realms. This requires a lot of work though with assets, etc - so won't happen.

[Alternative sound track]
Great to see this added in 1.01, but would like to have this as a selectable option at the start of a game. Having to go into the service menu to switch between them is not helpful. This could be implemented by holding both flipper buttons in before starting a game and selecting to start a game with the desired sound track.

[Triple Knight Challenge Intro]
We get some shaker motor action on the ball 1 and ball 2 locks, but none on the intro to Triple Knights Challenge. A nice bit of polish to this intro would be the inclusion of the shaker motor during the lightning strikes.

#3631 3 years ago

BK is still on my wishlist, BUT only with a final code update

what makes me upset is that Tim is also a tournament player, than why no reaction !? i would understand if Lonnie was on code...
well, not evbd is like Lyman

#3632 3 years ago

I don't expect any more updates sadly. The list above would be great for Tim to look at but he is busy on Led Zeppelin now.

#3633 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

There's no official (or unofficial) word on any future updates at the moment sadly. The 1.02 update was a big let down, so hopefully it doesn't end there. I posted a list of improvements / bugs little while back - which I'll include below from my original post:
I put together a list of bugs and feature improvements awhile back. I've cleaned it up a bit as Tim did address some things in the 1.01 update at the start of the year. This list is based on my experience with my PRO, with just under 1700 games. The lists are not in any particular order and the improvements are only based on my own opinion - so I don't speak for everyone with the things I list. Some of the improvements are not likely to ever happen, but will list them anyway
--= BUGS =--
[Magma Beast fight]
This is assuming you're not using the sword of rage. By default this mode requires 8 shots to complete. When you clear all 7 lit shots, it should then relight all 7. It only relights 6, with the last shot you hit not relighting. This crept in with the 1.02 update.
[Mode intro music]
Easiest way to replicate this is to have a monster mode active and then shoot the left saucer to start Knight mode. The Knight retro music will start playing while the monster mode complete screens play out. The lit shots on retro mode 1 will also start playing here too. The retro music will then reset once the Knight mode intro starts. Another way to see this is to light mystery and start Black Castle. The Black castle music will play over the top of mystery and then reset once the Black Castle intro starts. This could be more of a polish item, but as a coder, I view it as a bug.
The Lich Lords is the one mode you don't want to activate the sword of rage in as it will result in less points. All other monster battles (beside Black Castle) are made easier AND more valuable scoring wise by activating the sword. Here though, the mode is made easier with all shots lit and only 4 shots to complete - but this results in less points being available (even though each shot is worth more with the sword active). You're better off not using the sword, clearing the 3 shots and then doing it again. The way I think this mode should play out (to keep it in line with the other monster battles with the sword active) is to light all shots (currently happens) but instead of only requiring 4 shots to complete, each shot needs to be hit twice. First to tag and the second to clear. Do this for 4 shots to complete the mode. This keeps the battle in the same format and would then reward the player with the proper points for using the sword in this mode instead of penalizing them.
[Average Scores audit]
This value has always shown 00, so is never updated. This audit may have no use in BK, but though I'd list it anyway.
--= IMPROVEMENTS =--
[Monster intros]
The ROARS that were in the monster intros at 1.00 were fantastic. The Lich Lords and Hydra were awesome! My neighbors could be forgiven for thinking all hell was being unleashed next door. These were sadly nerfed with the 1.01 update and now sound far too soft. They need to be restored to their proper glory. This is Black Knight - Sword of Rage, not The Black Knight - Petting Zoo.
[Retro Mode 1]
This mode has an awesome soundtrack and I love the retro sfx. But I find it really uninspiring to shoot. It's a mini wizard mode that's not easy to reach so should be rewarding. The lit shots are not worth much (even after the 1.02 update) and there's no interesting logic or advancement to the mode. Simply clear the shots and start over again. No additional rules or even an extra ball available. The mode relies far too heavily on having multiple supers active and leveled up - but that requires so much set up that most players will never be able to take full advantage of the mode. Add to the fact that if you lose your ball right before starting the mode, the best you could hope for is all supers at level 2, which still requires a lot of set up and presents risk that isn't worth the payoff at that point.
[Black Castle]
All other monster battles let you continue when lose your ball. Even if they time out, you can start them again by hitting the flail/knight/shield X number of times. After all the effort in reaching this battle, it's so deflating being sent back to the start should you fail. There's no ball save at the start. No ball save available with in the mode. You can't stack multi ball with it. You're forced to hit the 3 most dangerous shots in the game 12 times. The flail and shield are well known for sending the ball straight down the middle with no opportunity for the player to react. By all means have an option to send the player back to the start under comp settings. But in the home environment, the current set up should never have been the default. It otherwise has an awesome music track and is an enjoyable shot layout to battle against the Black Knight. But the way in which the player is punished (often due to bad luck from the shield or flail) is not fun.
[Instant Info]
Right now instant info does not show information of the progress of U-Turns towards the next award. It would be good to also see here what the current value of each super is worth. For example: Super pops - level 2 - 50K, Super slings - level 1 - 15K, etc.
The number of u-turns required until the next award can often be hidden behind the skeleton animation that plays over the top of it. This often makes it hard to determine how many more you need until the next extra ball is ready - especially when the number is below 10. The animation needs to be moved or the text moved to make this easier to read. Even some call outs here would help.
[Multiball Progress UI]
I'd love to see the Triple Knights Challenge multiball progress shown on the main UI. Yes it's viewable in the Instant Info screens, but I see value in having this added as small orbs/gems that light based on what you have locked. As a player I can instantly see where I'm at with the progress and factor that into my play.
[Challenge mode]
I love the challenge mode in my JP. When I'm tired of the normal game, I love playing Escape Nublar. On top of that, I can either play it for points OR speed run it since it has high score tables for both. It just adds a nice layer of variety onto an already polished game. Some sort of boss rush mode or challenge mode against the Black Knight and his army would be a great alternative to the normal game that gives players more options when switching the game on.
[U-Turns]
Right now there are only 2 awards from U-Turns - extra balls at set levels. Most players will never reach the second extra ball level. This could have other awards available as you progress the counter like KNIGHT letters, points, 2X playfield scoring, ball save, etc. It doesn't need to be locked at just 2 awards.
[Supers]
This is one my real annoyances with the game scoring and has been for some time. In their current form, I find them mostly useless. When you activate a super, it's random. There's no way of knowing which super you'll get. I can't use skill to activate supers I want. I have to rely on the RNG gods and pray it's pops or spinner. I find it limiting too that the supers get cleared out on losing a ball or collection. I find that collecting the super jackpot is only ever worthwhile after Retro mode 1 - that's only IF I managed to get some supers active before starting it. Otherwise, the few million points that builds up just isn't worth spending my magna save. Speaking of which...
The other thing is collecting supers via the magna save - ok, it was an idea and it's been tested - but it's just not good. As a player, I should not have to sacrifice my magna save AND have it hit the right return lane switch to collect the super jackpot. Right now, I will always shoot the ball either to the ramp or left saucer and press the action button while the ball returns down the rail. The game plays the magna save animation and triggers the magnet, but the ball is safely on the rail.
I don't know what the right way to improve supers are. In a game with limited content, I'd love to bring them into my play more. But I don't find there's enough payoff in general play and no real reason to use them.
[Knight letters]
Right now it's far too difficult to spell Knight twice to reach the second retro mode. Only 1 letter is available from each monster. It's a very, very rare mystery award. You can get one by advancing far enough into multi ball. All others are from WAR hurry up, which is often dangerous since it's always the same 3 central targets that can each result in a straight down the middle response. There are a number of other ways they can be awarded. U-Turns, skill shots, drop targets, pop bumpers, etc.
[Retro mode selection]
Two issues I have with the second Knight mode (RANSOM) - 1) It's near impossible to reach (only been there 3 times in 1700 games) and 2) It's a short 60 second mode - which means it's over all so quickly after the very long journey to get there. Allow the player to select which Knight mode they want to play once they spell KNIGHT. It allows the player to have some variety in which retro mode they play and also allows players to make a decision based on strategy - Do I have lots of supers going? Then retro mode 1 seems like a good move. Limited or no supers? Retro mode 2 makes more sense.
Right now on the PRO, most players will only ever see Triple Knights Challenge and Retro Mode 1. Retro Mode 2 - RANSOM - as fun as it is, is locked behind such a difficult wall most will never see it. Same for RAGE - which is locked behind having to defeat the Black Knight on 1 ball. This leaves PRO owners with only 2 accessible multiball modes. The game is crying out for either a smaller 2 ball multiball and/or the inclusion of Catapult multiball. The game already has all the assets for catapult, so a chunk of the work is done. It's been mentioned before that it could be done by lighting locks via the drop target bank.
If Retro mode 2 and RAGE absolutely have to be locked away behind difficult requirements, then more obtainable lower level things need to be there for the average player to enjoy. Combo shots or Mini battle challenges for example.
I have sometimes wondered if originally there were plans for multiple monsters in each of the realms - perhaps for second play through once you get beyond the Black Castle. Or even to add variety each time you play. This would certainly be a nice addition to help add that extra layer of variety to the realms. This requires a lot of work though with assets, etc - so won't happen.
Great to see this added in 1.01, but would like to have this as a selectable option at the start of a game. Having to go into the service menu to switch between them is not helpful. This could be implemented by holding both flipper buttons in before starting a game and selecting to start a game with the desired sound track.
We get some shaker motor action on the ball 1 and ball 2 locks, but none on the intro to Triple Knights Challenge. A nice bit of polish to this intro would be the inclusion of the shaker motor during the lightning strikes.

Very thoughtful suggestions. Nice write up.
Seems that some of your ideas would be quite doable (minor tweaks) that would make a big impact on the polish of this game / code. Of course, some of your bigger ideas would also be amazing to see as well. I do hope they revisit the code on this game one day.

#3634 3 years ago

That's an impressive write up. The more I read your response the more I agree with you. It would be great if your suggestions were implemented...I hope Stern listens. It would be to their benefit, increase consumer loyalty and further improve relations with their supporters.

I have some faith, soon, soon

#3635 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

--= BUGS =--
[Magma Beast fight]
[Mode intro music]
[Average Scores audit]
--= IMPROVEMENTS =--
[Monster intros]
[Retro Mode 1]
[Black Castle]
[Instant Info]
[Multiball Progress UI]
[Challenge mode]
[U-Turns]
[Supers]
[Knight letters]
[Retro mode selection]

AMEN !
Nothing to add, your request is perfect. Now crossing fingers for seeing it one day ...

#3636 3 years ago

Will be listing a HUO LE #5; under 400 plays; goodie bag still attached and looks brand new price is 7800$ without topper can negotiate if you want topper from stern to stay with game

#3637 3 years ago

I'm having an issue where sometimes I'll hold down the left flipper to set it up for a super skill shot, but it doesn't work. It works most of the time, yet sometimes doesn't. Is this a known issue? Any fix?

#3638 3 years ago

I'm having an issue where sometimes I'll hold down the left flipper to set it up for a super skill shot, but it doesn't work. It works most of the time, yet sometimes doesn't. Is this a known issue? Any fix?

Post your playfield video here too. That was great. I liked the whiskey part.

20210207_145802 (resized).jpg20210207_145802 (resized).jpg
#3639 3 years ago

My new key holder !

20210223_225142 (resized).jpg20210223_225142 (resized).jpg
#3641 3 years ago
Quoted from Angel:

Finally got my BKSOR premium yesterday, the family and I spent a couple of hours playing it...and this is a very fun, interesting, fast flowing, frustrating, challenging and keeps you coming back for more pin. The graphics are amazing, voice/sounds are very well done, incorporating the the older black knights into this pin is brilliant....I will be playing it much more today.
A big thanks to the folks on this BKSOR forum for your honesty. Black Knight is everything you guys said it would be and more.
The only question I have is how do you remove the upper play field to clean below? Is there a set of instructions available?

This guide helped me.

#3642 3 years ago

Well, I finally tore into it.

Problems I'd been having with the flail 'sticking' were due to the BK coming loose from the four 5/16" screws that hold it into its bracket.

I took the upper PF off, many other bits and bobs, and just barely got in there with a small 5/16 box wrench and tightened them back up, all I could manage was maybe 1/8th of a turn each whack. Took forever, second guessing myself, lifing pf, putting it back down, examining, rinse repeat.

Is there anyone out there that could point me as to how to get under the BK or take the assembly out?

I can put loc-tite (blue) on the bottom of the screws, but that's all I can manage right now.

The knight just seems to shake himself loose.

Thanks for any advice!

#3643 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

This guide helped me.

Thank you for this guide, I found it last week on Youtube and tried it out. It is a quick and simple procedure, well designed and easy to do.

#3644 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Well, I finally tore into it.
Problems I'd been having with the flail 'sticking' were due to the BK coming loose from the four 5/16" screws that hold it into its bracket.
I took the upper PF off, many other bits and bobs, and just barely got in there with a small 5/16 box wrench and tightened them back up, all I could manage was maybe 1/8th of a turn each whack. Took forever, second guessing myself, lifing pf, putting it back down, examining, rinse repeat.
Is there anyone out there that could point me as to how to get under the BK or take the assembly out?
I can put loc-tite (blue) on the bottom of the screws, but that's all I can manage right now.
The knight just seems to shake himself loose.
Thanks for any advice!

I took mine off when I painted him. Mine is a pro, but it was just a matter of getting all the screws that go through the black metal plate that his torso is on top of (he is mounted to a metal frame under this plate I'm pretty sure). Again, mine was a pro model, so I'm not sure it's 100% the same, and I honestly don't remember 100%, but I don't remember it being that difficult either. The hardest part was getting his head off (screw in back top helmet, then finagle the LED eyes out of the socket and try to pull the helmet up without breaking the board behind it. UGH!)

#3645 3 years ago
Quoted from dbb143:

I took mine off when I painted him. Mine is a pro, but it was just a matter of getting all the screws that go through the black metal plate that his torso is on top of (he is mounted to a metal frame under this plate I'm pretty sure). Again, mine was a pro model, so I'm not sure it's 100% the same, and I honestly don't remember 100%, but I don't remember it being that difficult either. The hardest part was getting his head off (screw in back top helmet, then finagle the LED eyes out of the socket and try to pull the helmet up without breaking the board behind it. UGH!)

I must have the 'impossible to remove' BK special edition.

I didn't see or feel any screws on the top side that would bring up BK, there are three on the plate (four?) that I can get to but either my knight is wedged in there really well or there's something entirely different that I don't know about.

#3646 3 years ago

What to join the club if anyone is selling a premium

#3647 3 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

What to join the club if anyone is selling a premium

Contact musketd (above^) and shift into an LE. You are going to love the game and club.

#3648 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Contact musketd (above^) and shift into an LE. You are going to love the game and club.

His is sold

#3649 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I must have the 'impossible to remove' BK special edition.
I didn't see or feel any screws on the top side that would bring up BK, there are three on the plate (four?) that I can get to but either my knight is wedged in there really well or there's something entirely different that I don't know about.

I will see if I have some time to look at it again this evening and/or weekend and report back.

#3650 3 years ago
Quoted from dbb143:

I will see if I have some time to look at it again this evening and/or weekend and report back.

Ok, I lied/was wrong/didn't want to remember

The first 2 pics show the 3 screws that hold the plate that the body is attached to (remove these careful not to lose the washers).

The 3rd pic shows the small Phillips head in back of helmet that holds this on. If you have a small magnetic screwdriver, use it. This screw is longer than you think and needs to be fully backed out. Then the Hemet should just kind of slide forward (toward the flippers) off the LED eyes. It may need some wiggling to get it.

The 4th pic shows the "fun" part. There really isn't enough room in the hole of the body neck to get around the metal bracket (that's booked to the pf). The body is loose (attached to metal base plate) at this point. I unscrewed the led board to get the body off, but it took some finnagling to get it! Good luck.

20210226_173133 (resized).jpg20210226_173133 (resized).jpg20210226_173154 (resized).jpg20210226_173154 (resized).jpg20210226_173219 (resized).jpg20210226_173219 (resized).jpg20210226_173242 (resized).jpg20210226_173242 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,590 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/73?hl=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.