417253198_186166294559093_5421502549371054806_n (resized).jpg
417243102_1855591888230147_254117454157966660_n (resized).jpg
417060729_348471271463831_7316753656590831076_n (resized).jpg
417097555_1228869401835703_4979142609357805569_n (resized).jpg
416920913_901717834755173_2602695712813108074_n (resized).jpg
416920911_355043443979959_1132858094408128494_n (resized).jpg
416897945_895423155646672_2278790504956894979_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,500 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 110.
#3551 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

its a diverter on the upper PF that makes the ball bumping/jumping (left to right) when rolling to the upper flipper...
this makes the game even more easy and really, if you're a good player, you will quite never lose the ball from that upper PF !!! it become quickly a real nonsense
that's why :

+1 !
of course the PRO is missing the catapult multiball, and than the fact that you can score big if you could manage these 2 multiballs in the same time
and also its a pity, because the BK franchise means you need to have a upper PF !!!
but as a player, i also prefer the PRO : more speed, more rush, no long ball time on that upper PF (on which you have quite nothing to do/aim)

I do agree and have always said the pro needs another multiball. Would be nice to see in the next much needed update.

#3552 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Topic of conversation: These are the trade offers I received for my trade ad of BK Premium. Obviously most include cash my way. Would you make any of these trades?
Stranger Things Pro
Hot Wheels
Munsters Premium
Junk Yard
Spiderman
Deadpool Pro
Dark Knight
TSPP
I am considering Deadpool and had some serious consideration about Hot Wheels. But I feel that is a similar layout to a few of my other games and Deadpool has some unique shots.

Nope!! I wouldn't trade BKSOR for any of those...

Phoebe

#3553 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Topic of conversation: These are the trade offers I received for my trade ad of BK Premium. Obviously most include cash my way. Would you make any of these trades?
Stranger Things Pro
Hot Wheels
Munsters Premium
Junk Yard
Spiderman
Deadpool Pro
Dark Knight
TSPP
I am considering Deadpool and had some serious consideration about Hot Wheels. But I feel that is a similar layout to a few of my other games and Deadpool has some unique shots.

I like both Deadpool and Stranger Things (easy enough for most beginners to pick it up, still trying to crack the high score is enough motivation + the music and upside down mode are creepy). I am intrigued by Hot Wheels, I'd like to see one some day, and would also enjoy Junk Yard and Spiderman (Stern).

#3554 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I like both Deadpool and Stranger Things (easy enough for most beginners to pick it up, still trying to crack the high score is enough motivation + the music and upside down mode are creepy). I am intrigued by Hot Wheels, I'd like to see one some day, and would also enjoy Junk Yard and Spiderman (Stern).

Played a hot wheels for the first time last night. Felt like a child’s toy pinball. Hated it in every way. Was immensely disappointed.

#3555 3 years ago
Quoted from Angel:

I need some honest feedback. I am thinking about added a BKSOR premium to my line up, but I'm not 100% sure. I can't play one with the lockdowns in my area, but if I do decide to purchase it, my local distributor will allow for a curbside pick up. I've never purchased a pin without playing it several times first. The wife and I watched Jack play the pin on his Deadflip youtube channel and it looks fast, cool and really engaging, my wife referred to it as a supercharged MM and she thinks it is amazing.

I'd strongly recommend playing it first. I played two games on location and thought "I love this!" and bought a Pro. Well, it's the first BK I don't really like. I literally stress out playing it each time. The music even stresses me out! Which all sounds ridiculous but it's true. The game is super brutal, and I can't standing losing balls because the Black Knight decided he didn't want me to hit his shield, flail, or him. If I lose a ball I want to know it was my fault! So I'm selling it. Metallica and Monster Bash are more my speed.

#3556 3 years ago

I may have already posted the link here, can’t remember. But if anyone wants to try out my custom alternate Rammstein soundtrack just let me know and I will post it. I replace the alternate soundtracks so the original soundtrack is still there and you switch between them in the settings. Nice change of pace and Rammstein, all instrumental no vocals, goes perfect with the theme.

#3557 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Played a hot wheels for the first time last night. Felt like a child’s toy pinball. Hated it in every way. Was immensely disappointed.

Finally someone has the pinballs to say it! I own a Hot Wheels and it’s my least favorite pin in my collection. It’s a big piece of plastic with 2 ramps and 2 orbits and that’s pretty much it. I still think it’s a fun shooter but one of those pins you’d rather just play on location than have taking up space in your house.

#3558 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I may have already posted the link here, can’t remember. But if anyone wants to try out my custom alternate Rammstein soundtrack just let me know and I will post it. I replace the alternate soundtracks so the original soundtrack is still there and you switch between them in the settings. Nice change of pace and Rammstein, all instrumental no vocals, goes perfect with the theme.

Do you have the video of your soundtrack? I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

#3559 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I'd strongly recommend playing it first. I played two games on location and thought "I love this!" and bought a Pro. Well, it's the first BK I don't really like. I literally stress out playing it each time. The music even stresses me out! Which all sounds ridiculous but it's true. The game is super brutal, and I can't standing losing balls because the Black Knight decided he didn't want me to hit his shield, flail, or him. If I lose a ball I want to know it was my fault! So I'm selling it. Metallica and Monster Bash are more my speed.

I'm glad you're selling it Ron. I can't wait to pick it up from you! By the way Ron is super cool to deal with.

#3560 3 years ago
Quoted from Briks-707:

Finally someone has the pinballs to say it! I own a Hot Wheels and it’s my least favorite pin in my collection. It’s a big piece of plastic with 2 ramps and 2 orbits and that’s pretty much it. I still think it’s a fun shooter but one of those pins you’d rather just play on location than have taking up space in your house.

can i simply ask why you did bought it ?
mainly because its was said early that (after Houdini+Oktoberfest) HW will be a pin with a "fan layout", and i see AFM & MM in your collection, which are already in that same style

#3561 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

mainly because its was said early that (after Houdini+Oktoberfest) HW will be a pin with a "fan layout", and i see AFM & MM in your collection, which are already in that same style

Realize the question wasn’t directed at me, and I don’t want to drag this more off topic from BKSOR, but although HW might sort of kind of be a fan layout...it really isn’t. It’s absolutely nothing like AFM or MM in shooting feel...or anything feel.

Hey, while I’m on my complaining and off topic pedestal, let me say that I played a Zeppelin pro the same night last week, and was also really let down. Thankful that we have BKSOR with some real action and wild shots. What a wide-open, blank playfield snooze fest that LZ pro was (and I love the band). Steve must have gotten exhausted from designing the Knight lol

#3562 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Realize the question wasn’t directed at me, and I don’t want to drag this more off topic from BKSOR, but although HW might sort of kind of be a fan layout...it really isn’t. It’s absolutely nothing like AFM or MM in shooting feel...or anything feel.
Hey, while I’m on my complaining and off topic pedestal, let me say that I played a Zeppelin pro the same night last week, and was also really let down. Thankful that we have BKSOR with some real action and wild shots. What a wide-open, blank playfield snooze fest that LZ pro was (and I love the band). Steve must have gotten exhausted from designing the Knight lol

well, not talking about playing feeling (which i agree with you), but more about design aspect of the PF elements
let's forget AFM & MM would you prefer an inverted IRON MAN ?

#3563 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

I bought it nib before I had a chance to play it. I needed a pin that directly appealed to my young son to try to steer him into the hobby. I also wanted to support American Pinball company after having played Houdini and Octoberfest. I think they have some fresh ideas and would like the see the company stay in business. I feel Hot wheels plays more like a BKSOR Pro than MM or AFM. It’s all about orbits and ramp combos, going after the center RPM targets will drain sdtm or cause air balls just like the Black Knight.

#3564 3 years ago

I would love to try this vs the alternative sound track.

Please post.

Thank you

Quoted from PoMC:

#3565 3 years ago

Video to check out the alternate soundtrack:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SaUkXPAa3z6ogsEE7

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1egVqrLHmdObIs_hFZv73lqySNQDXcW_e/view?usp=sharing

Nothing to lose by trying it out since you'll burn that image to a new SD card. Pop out your SD card, insert this one and you can swap back and forth. You won't lose settings or high score because they're saved on your original SD card.

#3566 3 years ago

Just watched. Will definitely download. Very fitting to the game. Awesome

Quoted from PoMC:

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1egVqrLHmdObIs_hFZv73lqySNQDXcW_e/view?usp=sharing
Nothing to lose by trying it out since you'll burn that image to a new SD card. Pop out your SD card, insert this one and you can swap back and forth. You won't lose settings or high score because they're saved on your original SD card.

#3567 3 years ago

Im finally getting around to updating the code BK. Ive tried everything and I keep getting either " update not found" or SPK. file invalid. I dont know why its such a pain in the ass to update these machines. I swear every stern machine I update takes 3-4 hours because theres always some issue.

ive reformatted 3 different USB sticks.
ive re downloaded and unpacked from stern.
ive tried both ports multiple times different ways.

SMH

any help is appreciated.

THanks

#3568 3 years ago
Quoted from derekbro:

Im finally getting around to updating the code BK. Ive tried everything and I keep getting either " update not found" or SPK. file invalid. I dont know why its such a pain in the ass to update these machines. I swear every stern machine I update takes 3-4 hours because theres always some issue.
SMH
any help is appreciated.
THanks

Could download my link up above and write the image to an SD card and pop it in. Updated code and the kickass alternate soundtrack I made available in the settings.

#3569 3 years ago

Stern please release the much needed new code for the pro. Include additional multiballs.

#3570 3 years ago

Finally got my BKSOR premium yesterday, the family and I spent a couple of hours playing it...and this is a very fun, interesting, fast flowing, frustrating, challenging and keeps you coming back for more pin. The graphics are amazing, voice/sounds are very well done, incorporating the the older black knights into this pin is brilliant....I will be playing it much more today.

A big thanks to the folks on this BKSOR forum for your honesty. Black Knight is everything you guys said it would be and more.

The only question I have is how do you remove the upper play field to clean below? Is there a set of instructions available?

#3571 3 years ago
Quoted from Angel:

Finally got my BKSOR premium yesterday, the family and I spent a couple of hours playing it...and this is a very fun, interesting, fast flowing, frustrating, challenging and keeps you coming back for more pin. The graphics are amazing, voice/sounds are very well done, incorporating the the older black knights into this pin is brilliant....I will be playing it much more today.
A big thanks to the folks on this BKSOR forum for your honesty. Black Knight is everything you guys said it would be and more.
The only question I have is how do you remove the upper play field to clean below? Is there a set of instructions available?

It’s in the Key Posts at the top. Marked as #539

Pro tip (or should that be Premium/LE tip, HA), don’t put any force on the long aluminum hex posts with the tiny male threads on the end. A) they will snap off and B) Stern will take 1-6 months to send you a replacement

#3572 3 years ago
Quoted from derekbro:

SMH
any help is appreciated.
THanks

Did you make sure that your USB was FAT32 formatted? Did mine with no problems.

#3573 3 years ago

My friend is trying to remove his upper playfield however the two ramp screws holding the small upper part of the ramp will not come out. He has used various screw drivers and is doing everything possible to ensure they don't strip. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't recall having any problem with them. Also, does anyone know what screws these are in case he has already stripped them too far?

rampScrews (resized).pngrampScrews (resized).png
#3574 3 years ago

Tim mentioned something in the game credits a while ago. Anyone know the flipper code to enter into the credits mode? The traditional (Munsters) published code doesn’t work for me.

FYI the serial # code and Hello World C++ codes do work.

#3575 3 years ago

quick survey. how much would you pay for a routed Black Night Sword Pro w/ 10k plays on it? Cosmetics 8.5/9 outta 10. Pin has been taken care of while out earning. no known or obvious problems. debating buying NOT the seller. offering 4k seem fair?

#3576 3 years ago
Quoted from Snugs:

quick survey. how much would you pay for a routed Black Night Sword Pro w/ 10k plays on it? Cosmetics 8.5/9 outta 10. Pin has been taken care of while out earning. no known or obvious problems. debating buying NOT the seller. offering 4k seem fair?

I say your right on point at $4k. Aerosmith Pro that was routed, same amount of plays that needed to be shopped out. Sold for $4K not too long ago.

#3577 3 years ago

Not sure how flipper coil fatigue isn’t a major issue being addressed by stern across the board in its newer games, but I’d venture to guess that most or all of us Prem/LE owners here are feeling the struggle of making the flail ramp to the upper field with the right flipper after 4-5 games. I know mine would JUUUUUST make it up, plop down on the top field and then roll down at an angle that misses the upper flipper. Left flipper was never an issue but of course the right is used about 500% more.

Didn’t want to just increase flipper power since it would cause more airballs and unwanted stuff when the coils weren’t fatigued, so I ordered a pin monk kit of fans.

Figured the install would be 15 min but actually ended up taking a while because the lower sling GI bulb is in the way of the fan mount a bit.

Ended up using a dremel with soft grinding stone and a flat file to take away the plastic in the way. Then used a torch to melt over and sort of re strengthen the surface of the mount since inside a 3D printed piece is sort of a honeycomb.

I also had to unplug my flipper button lights that use PN11 on the coin mech board because that’s also what this kit uses. The normal splitters available out there won’t work because the flipper coil fan kit uses a proprietary plug not the normal sort arrow shaped one. That said, pin monk said he is getting splitters in this week to solve this exact issue.

Now that it’s all done and fits, I have to say I am really impressed. Spent several nights putting 40-50 minutes on the machine and the difference is extremely noticeable. If I had to guess, I’d say before the right flipper would lose about 25% power after a while. Now I’d put that number maybe around 10%. You can tell if you really pay attention, but never has there been one of those shots that barely makes it up the ramp and plops down on the top field. They all make it up just fine and head to the upper flipper as intended.

Attaching some pics in case anyone orders and wants to save time figuring out how to get some of the plastic out of the way.

292AFBD8-898E-4CAA-AE85-F64F3862C732 (resized).jpeg292AFBD8-898E-4CAA-AE85-F64F3862C732 (resized).jpeg580FB135-FEE6-44E5-B71D-D5C252B28700 (resized).jpeg580FB135-FEE6-44E5-B71D-D5C252B28700 (resized).jpegAF3E1B9F-9935-48B0-9EB9-D5558391227E (resized).jpegAF3E1B9F-9935-48B0-9EB9-D5558391227E (resized).jpegBF170DFA-DD19-4EDD-8805-05A58FD27E6A (resized).jpegBF170DFA-DD19-4EDD-8805-05A58FD27E6A (resized).jpeg2FF11A65-2C40-4410-9459-318E092E35D9 (resized).jpeg2FF11A65-2C40-4410-9459-318E092E35D9 (resized).jpeg
#3578 3 years ago

nice, clever, usefull mod of course... but seeing this is making me feeling as i was overclocking my DURON 600@1000Mhz, long long long time ago

#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from Snugs:

$4000-4300.

#3580 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Download link:

I'd love to try this out but my machine won't boot at all with this software.
I downloaded the file and saved it to a clean Fat32 formatted SD card. Popped it in and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Mark

#3581 3 years ago

This is an SD image file, so as you found out it cannot just be copied to an SD card. After extracting the zip, you need to write the image to the SD card. You can download Win32 Imager below or use Pinball Browser to write the image.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

The image file extension is RAW, so when using Win32 Imager, change the setting so it is looking at all file types so it see the image file. Choose the drive letter of your SD card and write the image.

Let me know how it goes.

#3582 3 years ago

I had this problem when I tried to apply the last code release. As it turns out my USB stick was too small for the image--and there are no error messages for this condition. Once I put it on a large enough USB stick it came up as expected.

Nate

#3583 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This is an SD image file, so as you found out it cannot just be copied to an SD card. After extracting the zip, you need to write the image to the SD card. You can download Win32 Imager below or use Pinball Browser to write the image.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
The image file extension is RAW, so when using Win32 Imager, change the setting so it is looking at all file types so it see the image file. Choose the drive letter of your SD card and write the image.
Let me know how it goes.

That fixed me.
Thanks!

#3584 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Download link:

Hopefully will download today. Have to pick up an SD card. Thanks for making it. Can’t wait to try it. Sounds freaking awesome.

#3585 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Hopefully will download today. Have to pick up an SD card. Thanks for making it. Can’t wait to try it. Sounds freaking awesome.

Walmart brand Onn cards are cheap and work fine.

#3586 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I have Stranger Things and Deadpool. Deadpool is my favorite game but I almost sold Stranger Things last month to buy a BKSOR premium off of someone. I took too long to decide and they sold it. I think BKSOR and Stranger Things are awesome games. BKSOR is my next game in line.

#3587 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I have Stranger Things and Deadpool. Deadpool is my favorite game but I almost sold Stranger Things last month to buy a BKSOR premium off of someone. I took too long to decide and they sold it. I think BKSOR and Stranger Things are awesome games. BKSOR is my next game in line.

I own BKSOR premium and ST pro and both are great pins and I wouldn’t sell one to get the other. ST is definitely a very underrated pin.

#3588 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Walmart brand Onn cards are cheap and work fine.

Just ordered one today. Bought one for Clelands ST mod. Works great and can’t beat the price for $6.12 total. Thanks!

#3589 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Download link:

.All I can say is that I thought the original soundtrack was amazing. This Rammstein soundtrack kicks a$$!! I can’t thank you enough. I need to learn how to use pinball browser. My kids love it! My wife will try it later.

You guys need this alternate soundtrack with Rammstein. It’s amazing!

#3590 3 years ago

.All I can say is that I thought the original soundtrack was amazing. This Rammstein soundtrack kicks a$$!! I can’t thank you enough. I need to learn how to use pinball browser. My kids love it! My wife will try it later.
You guys need this alternate soundtrack with Rammstein. It’s amazing!

Thanks! I immediately thought that Rammstein could make a great match for Black Knight - the combination of metal and electronic matched the vibe of the game.

Interesting note, this is not exactly Rammstein themselves. This is a group that covers Rammstein (and other groups) with instrumental covers. That was the key for this effort working for me. I only wanted the music and didn't want to try and edit around their lyrics.

#3591 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Thanks! I immediately thought that Rammstein could make a great match for Black Knight - the combination of metal and electronic matched the vibe of the game.
Interesting note, this is not exactly Rammstein themselves. This is a group that covers Rammstein (and other groups) with instrumental covers. That was the key for this effort working for me. I only wanted the music and didn't want to try and edit around their lyrics.

Cover or not it definitely rocks!!!what do you have your music and speech settings at on your BK?

#3592 3 years ago

Cover or not it definitely rocks!!!what do you have your music and speech settings at on your BK?

I have my speech at 0 and music at -16.
I agree this new soundtrack is great!
Thanks,
Mark

#3593 3 years ago

Hit the billion point club tonight. 998m on ball 1, and then 22m more on all the rest lol.

Only the second time since Sept 2019 that I’ve gotten to BK2K mode and the final Black Castle. Sadly drained in 28 seconds of the battle and that was that.

#3594 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Could download my link up above and write the image to an SD card and pop it in. Updated code and the kickass alternate soundtrack I made available in the settings.

Still loving the Rammstein mod!!! You guys need to download it and install it.

#3595 3 years ago
Quoted from Torre:

I have my speech at 0 and music at -16.
I agree this new soundtrack is great!
Thanks,
Mark

Awesome! Thanks Mark! I put my speech at 5. Will try at 0. Soundtrack is great for sure.

#3596 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Hit the billion point club tonight. 998m on ball 1, and then 22m more on all the rest lol.
Only the second time since Sept 2019 that I’ve gotten to BK2K mode and the final Black Castle. Sadly drained in 28 seconds of the battle and that was that.

nice !

i would know (but its impossible of course), how much is easier (because it is !) to score on PREM/LE than on a PRO !?

#3597 3 years ago

Just got my hands on a pro b/c a bar closed down and I had it on route there. Babysitting it for a few months until COVID clears up and places reopen.

Anyways, totally digging it. Very fun and addicting.

Couple of questions:

-What the heck is with the "100K Super Jackpot". Am I missing something? First, no idea how I even get it. But more importantly, 100K?? I'm SUPER confused (pun intended).

-I remember on the early code when I played it, there was a moment in the game where you could rip the spinner for insane points. Is that still there? I can't even remember what I did to trigger that 2 years ago.

-Love the BK2K music in the retro multiball mode, but let down by the fact that when it comes on, it just seems so...muted? You'd think that would be a good moment in the game where something cool happens and the music cranks up, not get muted! (more of a gripe than a question).

Anyways, when I reviewed this on "Bro, Do You Even Talk Pinball" a couple of years ago, I gave it a 7.5. I may have to revisit this on our next podcast.

#3598 3 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Congrats on breaking the billion point barrier! That's a great score!

Draining on the Black Castle is a horrible feeling when you have balls in store to use. Everytime it happens, it's so deflating being sent back at the start.

Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

-What the heck is with the "100K Super Jackpot". Am I missing something? First, no idea how I even get it. But more importantly, 100K?? I'm SUPER confused (pun intended).

Assuming you're running the latest code, you collect the super jackpot by activating magna save and the ball rolling over the right return lane switch. Older code had the super jackpot collected via the left saucer. That will bring up the Super Jackpot screen and you'll be awarded whatever points have been built up.

You activate supers via the knight target when lit (red insert). The insert is lit by hitting the orbit spinner a certain number of times. This activates a random super (spinner, lanes, pops, slings, etc). When a super is activated it will start at level 1, but can be levelled up via the left saucer (provided you're not in multiball). Interacting with that super will start to build the super jackpot until collected, or lost (ball drain).

-I remember on the early code when I played it, there was a moment in the game where you could rip the spinner for insane points. Is that still there? I can't even remember what I did to trigger that 2 years ago.

This was probably in the first retro mode on older code. You could get insane points here, either via the super spinner or super pops (levelled up with 3x multiplier in the retro mode). I rememeber getting 200M+ multiple times from this. Tim nerfed it hard, which was good as it was too unbalanced. But sadly it's gone too far the other way now to the point where the mini wizard mode is only rewarding if you're a top tier player.

Anyways, when I reviewed this on "Bro, Do You Even Talk Pinball" a couple of years ago, I gave it a 7.5. I may have to revisit this on our next podcast.

I'm not sure when you're next podcast is planned for, but I'd spend more time with it first. I put together a list of things a few pages back, covering bugs and needed polish that the game is currently lacking based on my experience with my PRO.

Quoted from Jesder:

I put together a list of bugs and feature improvements awhile back. I've cleaned it up a bit as Tim did address some things in the 1.01 update at the start of the year. This list is based on my experience with my PRO, with just under 1700 games. The lists are not in any particular order and the improvements are only based on my own opinion - so I don't speak for everyone with the things I list. Some of the improvements are not likely to ever happen, but will list them anyway

--= BUGS =--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Magma Beast fight]
This is assuming you're not using the sword of rage. By default this mode requires 8 shots to complete. When you clear all 7 lit shots, it should then relight all 7. It only relights 6, with the last shot you hit not relighting. This crept in with the 1.02 update.

[Mode intro music]
Easiest way to replicate this is to have a monster mode active and then shoot the left saucer to start Knight mode. The Knight retro music will start playing while the monster mode complete screens play out. The lit shots on retro mode 1 will also start playing here too. The retro music will then reset once the Knight mode intro starts. Another way to see this is to light mystery and start Black Castle. The Black castle music will play over the top of mystery and then reset once the Black Castle intro starts. This could be more of a polish item, but as a coder, I view it as a bug.

[Lich Lords Sword of Rage]
The Lich Lords is the one mode you don't want to activate the sword of rage in as it will result in less points. All other monster battles (beside Black Castle) are made easier AND more valuable scoring wise by activating the sword. Here though, the mode is made easier with all shots lit and only 4 shots to complete - but this results in less points being available (even though each shot is worth more with the sword active). You're better off not using the sword, clearing the 3 shots and then doing it again. The way I think this mode should play out (to keep it in line with the other monster battles with the sword active) is to light all shots (currently happens) but instead of only requiring 4 shots to complete, each shot needs to be hit twice. First to tag and the second to clear. Do this for 4 shots to complete the mode. This keeps the battle in the same format and would then reward the player with the proper points for using the sword in this mode instead of penalizing them.

[Average Scores audit]
This value has always shown 00, so is never updated. This audit may have no use in BK, but though I'd list it anyway.

--= IMPROVEMENTS =--

[Monster intros]
The ROARS that were in the monster intros at 1.00 were fantastic. The Lich Lords and Hydra were awesome! My neighbors could be forgiven for thinking all hell was being unleashed next door. These were sadly nerfed with the 1.01 update and now sound far too soft. They need to be restored to their proper glory. This is Black Knight - Sword of Rage, not The Black Knight - Petting Zoo.

[Retro Mode 1]
This mode has an awesome soundtrack and I love the retro sfx. But I find it really uninspiring to shoot. It's a mini wizard mode that's not easy to reach so should be rewarding. The lit shots are not worth much (even after the 1.02 update) and there's no interesting logic or advancement to the mode. Simply clear the shots and start over again. No additional rules or even an extra ball available. The mode relies far too heavily on having multiple supers active and leveled up - but that requires so much set up that most players will never be able to take full advantage of the mode. Add to the fact that if you lose your ball right before starting the mode, the best you could hope for is all supers at level 2, which still requires a lot of set up and presents risk that isn't worth the payoff at that point.

[Black Castle]
All other monster battles let you continue when lose your ball. Even if they time out, you can start them again by hitting the flail/knight/shield X number of times. After all the effort in reaching this battle, it's so deflating being sent back to the start should you fail. There's no ball save at the start. No ball save available with in the mode. You can't stack multi ball with it. You're forced to hit the 3 most dangerous shots in the game 12 times. The flail and shield are well known for sending the ball straight down the middle with no opportunity for the player to react. By all means have an option to send the player back to the start under comp settings. But in the home environment, the current set up should never have been the default. It otherwise has an awesome music track and is an enjoyable shot layout to battle against the Black Knight. But the way in which the player is punished (often due to bad luck from the shield or flail) is not fun.

[Instant Info]
Right now instant info does not show information of the progress of U-Turns towards the next award. It would be good to also see here what the current value of each super is worth. For example: Super pops - level 2 - 50K, Super slings - level 1 - 15K, etc.

[U-Turn progress animation]
The number of u-turns required until the next award can often be hidden behind the skeleton animation that plays over the top of it. This often makes it hard to determine how many more you need until the next extra ball is ready - especially when the number is below 10. The animation needs to be moved or the text moved to make this easier to read. Even some call outs here would help.

[Multiball Progress UI]
I'd love to see the Triple Knights Challenge multiball progress shown on the main UI. Yes it's viewable in the Instant Info screens, but I see value in having this added as small orbs/gems that light based on what you have locked. As a player I can instantly see where I'm at with the progress and factor that into my play.

[Challenge mode]
I love the challenge mode in my JP. When I'm tired of the normal game, I love playing Escape Nublar. On top of that, I can either play it for points OR speed run it since it has high score tables for both. It just adds a nice layer of variety onto an already polished game. Some sort of boss rush mode or challenge mode against the Black Knight and his army would be a great alternative to the normal game that gives players more options when switching the game on.

[U-Turns]
Right now there are only 2 awards from U-Turns - extra balls at set levels. Most players will never reach the second extra ball level. This could have other awards available as you progress the counter like KNIGHT letters, points, 2X playfield scoring, ball save, etc. It doesn't need to be locked at just 2 awards.

[Supers]
This is one my real annoyances with the game scoring and has been for some time. In their current form, I find them mostly useless. When you activate a super, it's random. There's no way of knowing which super you'll get. I can't use skill to activate supers I want. I have to rely on the RNG gods and pray it's pops or spinner. I find it limiting too that the supers get cleared out on losing a ball or collection. I find that collecting the super jackpot is only ever worthwhile after Retro mode 1 - that's only IF I managed to get some supers active before starting it. Otherwise, the few million points that builds up just isn't worth spending my magna save. Speaking of which...
The other things is collecting supers via the magna save - ok, it was an idea and it's been tested - but it's just not good. As a player, I should not have to sacrifice my magna save AND have it hit the right return lane switch to collect the super jackpot. Right now, I will always shoot the ball either to the ramp or left saucer and press the action button while the ball returns down the rail. The game plays the magna save animation and triggers the magnet, but the ball is safely on the rail.
I don't know what the right way to improve supers are. In a game with limited content, I'd love to bring them into my play more. But I don't find there's enough payoff in general play and no real reason to use them.

[Knight letters]
Right now it's far too difficult to spell Knight twice to reach the second retro mode. Only 1 letter is available from each monster. It's a very, very rare mystery award. You can get one by advancing far enough into multi ball. All others are from WAR hurry up, which is often dangerous since it's always the same 3 central targets that can each result in a straight down the middle response. There are a number of other ways they can be awarded. U-Turns, skill shots, drop targets, pop bumpers, etc.

[Retro mode selection]
Two issues I have with the second Knight mode (RANSOM) - 1) It's near impossible to reach (only been there 3 times in 1700 games) and 2) It's a short 60 second mode - which means it's over all so quickly after the very long journey to get there. Allow the player to select which Knight mode they want to play once they spell KNIGHT. It allows the player to have some variety in which retro mode they play and also allows players to make a decision based on strategy - Do I have lots of supers going? Then retro mode 1 seems like a good move. Limited or no supers? Retro mode 2 makes more sense.

[Additional multiball on PRO]
Right now on the PRO, most players will only ever see Triple Knights Challenge and Retro Mode 1. Retro Mode 2 - RANSOM - as fun as it is, is locked behind such a difficult wall most will never see it. Same for RAGE - which is locked behind having to defeat the Black Knight on 1 ball. This leaves PRO owners with only 2 accessible multiball modes. The game is crying out for either a smaller 2 ball multiball and/or the inclusion of Catapult multiball. The game already has all the assets for catapult, so a chunk of the work is done. It's been mentioned before that it could be done by lighting locks via the drop target bank.

[More lower level content]
If Retro mode 2 and RAGE absolutely have to be locked away behind difficult requirements, then more obtainable lower level things need to be there for the average player to enjoy. Combo shots or Mini battle challenges for example.

[Secondary monsters in each realm]
I have sometimes wondered if originally there were plans for multiple monsters in each of the realms - perhaps for second play through once you get beyond the Black Castle. Or even to add variety each time you play. This would certainly be a nice addition to help add that extra layer of variety to the realms. This requires a lot of work though with assets, etc - so won't happen.

[Alternative sound track]
Great to see this added in 1.01, but would like to have this as a selectable option at the start of a game. Having to go into the service menu to switch between them is not helpful. This could be implemented by holding both flipper buttons in before starting a game and selecting to start a game with the desired sound track.

[Triple Knight Challenge Intro]
We get some shaker motor action on the ball 1 and ball 2 locks, but none on the intro to Triple Knights Challenge. A nice bit of polish to this intro would be the inclusion of the shaker motor during the lightning strikes.

#3599 3 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

Assuming you're running the latest code, you collect the super jackpot by activating magna save and the ball rolling over the right return lane switch. Older code had the super jackpot collected via the left saucer. That will bring up the Super Jackpot screen and you'll be awarded whatever points have been built up.

Wow, really? That's...interesting.... but super, super not intuitive. I appreciate Tim thinking outside of the box here, but the game needs to provide some direction that that is how you do it (callouts, text in video, etc).

It's also crazy that there's no callout when the sword is charged, that I'm aware of. I mean, isn't that the name of the game? Speaking of name, why when you spell RAGE, it doesn't charge the sword, but it lights mystery? How does that make any sense?

This game is fun, I'm addicted. But it still only feels like 85% done in terms of things needing things in place to make it the great game that's hiding in there.

I'll look back to try and find your recommendations, thanks. Podcast is not until the end of the month. I've probably played a solid 5 hours worth in the last 48 hours alone.

#3600 3 years ago

Wow, really? That's...interesting.... but super, super not intuitive. I appreciate Tim thinking outside of the box here, but the game needs to provide some direction that that is how you do it (callouts, text in video, etc).
It's also crazy that there's no callout when the sword is charged, that I'm aware of. I mean, isn't that the name of the game? Speaking of name, why when you spell RAGE, it doesn't charge the sword, but it lights mystery? How does that make any sense?
This game is fun, I'm addicted. But it still only feels like 85% done in terms of things needing things in place to make it the great game that's hiding in there.
I'll look back to try and find your recommendations, thanks. Podcast is not until the end of the month. I've probably played a solid 5 hours worth in the last 48 hours alone.

I think you might be right on the lack of a call out when the sword is charged. It's a good idea, and certainly something that would add to the polish.

I added the list from my older post to my post above to save you time searching for it.

I completely agree with you that the game feels about 85% finished. Despite my long list, there is a lot of good in this game for both PRO and Prem/LE owners. But I think in its current state, Tim has let himself (and owners) down with the lack of polish. Especially when I see other games getting solid updates. I hold out hope though.

Will keep an eye out for your next podcast!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 5,500 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.