I updated to 1.01 last night and managed to get a good session in before going to bed. The content Tim squeezed in to this update exceeded what I was expecting and it looks to me like he has taken on board feedback from owners to make the game better. I looked back at the bug report & feedback email I sent awhile back and see several of the points addressed - I think that's excellent and I appreciate that!
Some random thoughts in no particular order (based on playing the PRO model):
- Alternative soundtrack is good, but I'll probably stick with the original as it's one of the games best features. I do hope Tim can make this a selection at the start of a game as I know I'd use it more if I didn't have to go in and out of the service menu to select it each time. It's a nice and unexpected addition to the game though.
- 250K, 750K awards from Mystery are gone. YAAY! These felt out of balance with the rest of the scoring. Replacing them with 2M - 5M is welcomed.
- New call outs for rage, war, monster complete, super level up, etc are all very welcomed and help with feedback for the player.
- Center target now contributes more towards sword fill which I think is excellent. The game needed at least 1 other target to help boost the sword power up to 100%. Having the sword start at 70% and then 40% also helps bring this feature into more modes.
- Moving war hurry up light show / animation above other modes is a good move too so it's now visible.
- Increased points from War Hurry up now makes it worth going for point wise. I like that the pop bumpers are brought into this and I now have a reason to hit them (outside of super pops in retro mode).
- The monster sounds during the realm intro have been softened which is a negative for me. I loved hearing the hydra and lich lords roaring loud enough to bring my walls down. Now it's much softer and far less menacing. I'm guessing this was to bring the Black Knights voice more to the forefront - but bring back the menacing beast roars!
- Additional points for successful magna save is good too as the original 550K felt like nothing for a successful save.
- I'm not a huge fan of any point boost you earn before starting a mode being wiped out when you lose a ball. You're already carrying a risk trying to boost the base monster value before getting into a mode. As a PRO player, the only way I can do this is via the flail ramp (I think Premium / LE owners have ways to boost it on the upper playfield?). Maybe I could "Play Better!", but I feel the penalty of losing a ball is punishment enough.
- Taking super jackpot collection away from the left VUK is good. I never really liked that I was forced to collect it from a shot that's used for several other things in the game. Having them run without a timer and being able to boost and build them as I play is better. I do like this change. At this point though I'm not convinced that a player should have to sacrifice their magna save to collect the jackpot. I think a better approach would be to have the player press the lockdown bar button within 3 - 5 seconds of hitting the left VUK, but magna save should be disabled on the first press during this period. Switch the colour of the lockdown bar button during this window to help players identify when it's open to collect. I just don't see the connection with having to sacrifice your magna save to collect super.
- The bug where the retro mode music begins early (if you activate retro mode while the monster complete animation is playing) it still present. I'd still like to see that fixed. It's a minor thing though.
I had more things I wanted to comment on but have slipped my mind right now. I 'm going to spend more time with the game over the next few nights getting more familiar with the new super rules and my head around the magna save sacrifice to collect. In short though it is an excellent update, but still a few more things are needed (especially around the supers). I'd still like a smaller 2 ball multi ball (at least for the PRO which is lacking in multiball modes) along with a small HUD element to show the lock status towards TKC.