36%
  • Premium 61 votes
    27%
  • LE 86 votes
    37%

(230 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 385 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191111_213943 (resized).jpg
20191111_223954 (resized).jpg
20191111_223912 (resized).jpg
20191105_225139 (resized).jpg
20191105_224041 (resized).jpg
60EE3DA4-24D0-48F9-B81A-0C2D0403C7CC (resized).jpeg
690F0A43-7EDA-46C8-901D-F30C0D7A0FF8 (resized).jpeg
557C3C7B-865D-47B1-92A0-18250961302C (resized).jpeg
73497805_1170753099979228_1768579734771335168_n (resized).jpg
75553069_2472485012820048_5846845241830670336_n (resized).jpg
74673286_2489766651114460_2414374990242643968_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191026-120044_Gallery (resized).jpg
18D4A612-0AAD-4A70-9E42-CB1A7C128CA3 (resized).jpeg
20191101_181755 (resized).jpg
20191026_120007 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191026-120044_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 31.
#1401 24 days ago

Side note ...

I don't own any Sterns yet...but Premium REALLY seems the way to go with this company and I have heard it from many. Unless I guess, there is something ultra special about that LE. $1,500 adds up and eventually would buy you another pin if you bought enough Premiums to save.

EDIT:

Art is also generally better on the Premium. What is that about? It's not even close on Black Knight IMHO!

#1402 24 days ago

Both are fast, Star Wars has more flow, but mine is way harder to play.

#1403 24 days ago
Quoted from Asael:

Both are fast, Star Wars has more flow, but mine is way harder to play.

Thanks man. Doesn't sound like you can really go wrong with either. Alright back to this being a Black Knight thread.

#1404 24 days ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Thanks man. Doesn't sound like you can really go wrong with either. Alright back to this being a Black Knight thread.

As someone that generally loves Steve Ritchie games but sold his NIB SW Pro after 2 weeks I at least want to add to that that SW in my opinion is missing the physical "batteling something" aspect BK, GoT, ST have (either with the Knight, the Dragon & ram, or the Vengeance ship)... the small Tie Fighter doesn't really compare.
SW is way more rules & depth more then anything else, while BK is the easiest game to get ("There's the Black Knight. Fight him!") I know.
I personally find the latter way more fulfilling.
The rest is typical Steve Ritchie and SW is blazing fast but I'd still prefer any of the named games.

In that regard I honestly have more interrest in the SW Home Edition, where you can battle your way up to the Death Star (Tie Fighter Drop Targets that block the ramp) to hoot it (with an actual target).

#1405 24 days ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Are Stern toppers bought through their online store or a distributor?

Both. Stern always sells out first.

#1406 24 days ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

So no one owns Star Wars?
Alright. Thanks anyways!

I’ve played it about 15 times but not enough to give you a comparison yet. My premium comes next week. I’ll give you my opinion after that for what it’s worth.

#1407 24 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

As someone that generally loves Steve Ritchie games but sold his NIB SW Pro after 2 weeks I at least want to add to that that SW in my opinion is missing the physical "batteling something" aspect BK, GoT, ST have (either with the Knight, the Dragon & ram, or the Vengeance ship)... the small Tie Fighter doesn't really compare.
SW is way more rules & depth more then anything else, while BK is the easiest game to get ("There's the Black Knight. Fight him!") I know.
I personally find the latter way more fulfilling.
The rest is typical Steve Ritchie and SW is blazing fast but I'd still prefer any of the named games.
In that regard I honestly have more interrest in the SW Home Edition, where you can battle your way up to the Death Star (Tie Fighter Drop Targets that block the ramp) to hoot it (with an actual target).

I already own POTC so probably definitely leaning towards BK. I still think Star Wars is awesome. Side note... Fallen Order. Game play released today... WOW!

#1408 24 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Oh wow. This has been exactly my problem for weeks. Please call Pat in tech support at stern and talk to him tomorrow. Make sure to get him and not another tech. He will know about this as I’ve had about 50 emails and a couple hours on the phone about it.
Next step we are trying is to replace ALL upper GI bulbs but I have my doubts that it’ll fix it.
Mine fails anywhere between 5 and 60 minutes. 90% of the time the red upper GI goes out and the shield fails. 9% of the time the lights just flash but they don’t fail, but the shield does fail. 1% of the time the white upper GI will fail along with the shield.
Like you said, a new game, or even a new ball will fix the shield temporarily. Also holding the ball in a cradle in one flipper for 30 seconds and hitting the other flipper will reset the shield node signal.
I’ve found that when the GIs fail, it does store and Overcurrent protection. This can be seen under Tech Alerts in the service menu, and also under the Node bus test on Node 9 (it flashes to tell you there’s a problem). When you run the test, it flashes the lights and clears the problem. Obviously you need to pull the 48v safety switch when you open the cabinet door to be able to see the Overcurrent error.
For what it’s worth I already swapped node 8 and node 9 boards and it didn’t do anything to help. So it’s not a node board issue.
I don’t have the replacement bulbs yet but my distributor is coming over tomorrow to try and see the issue and see if he can fix anything.
FYI I started a thread about this under the tech forum for modern games, too.
Please report back with what you find out from stern and what path you’re taking.
So frustrating as it’s really ruining the fun of this awesome game for me.

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I called my distro. He suspects power spike or surge from a failing flasher or gi or like the problem they had with Ghostbusters where the flasher was pressing against the metal rail I think causing problems. He didn't think it was a node board.
He suggested to test lighting and flashers first and all coils. He also told me to do a factory reset and reinstall code.
We will get to the bottom of it as the distro is quite knowledgeable and has a couple of guys that really know what they are doing. I'm not too concerned. Always ends up being something small and eventually gets sorted. I love this game so I'm still playing it regardless I'll post again to keep you updated also.

#1409 24 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Oh wow. This has been exactly my problem for weeks. Please call Pat in tech support at stern and talk to him tomorrow. Make sure to get him and not another tech. He will know about this as I’ve had about 50 emails and a couple hours on the phone about it.
Next step we are trying is to replace ALL upper GI bulbs but I have my doubts that it’ll fix it.
Mine fails anywhere between 5 and 60 minutes. 90% of the time the red upper GI goes out and the shield fails. 9% of the time the lights just flash but they don’t fail, but the shield does fail. 1% of the time the white upper GI will fail along with the shield.
Like you said, a new game, or even a new ball will fix the shield temporarily. Also holding the ball in a cradle in one flipper for 30 seconds and hitting the other flipper will reset the shield node signal.
I’ve found that when the GIs fail, it does store and Overcurrent protection. This can be seen under Tech Alerts in the service menu, and also under the Node bus test on Node 9 (it flashes to tell you there’s a problem). When you run the test, it flashes the lights and clears the problem. Obviously you need to pull the 48v safety switch when you open the cabinet door to be able to see the Overcurrent error.
For what it’s worth I already swapped node 8 and node 9 boards and it didn’t do anything to help. So it’s not a node board issue.
I don’t have the replacement bulbs yet but my distributor is coming over tomorrow to try and see the issue and see if he can fix anything.
FYI I started a thread about this under the tech forum for modern games, too.
Please report back with what you find out from stern and what path you’re taking.
So frustrating as it’s really ruining the fun of this awesome game for me.

When I got my Aerosmith a few years back, both node boards were bad. It took a few weeks of trial and error with Stern to realize what was going on. They sent me a second board and all was soon well. Don’t know if this helps, but two bad node boards in a single game is possible, so swapping them around might not have narrowed down the issue. Regardless, it sucks that any owner is having this problem.

#1410 24 days ago

That topper is unreal. Hope it comes out soon along with the new code.

#1411 24 days ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

Didn’t I see a BKsor topper on one of the two BK games in the Marco/Stern room? The ones just inside the door?

That's because the only "complete" BKSOR topper that currently exists is the one on top of the Premium in the Stern Arcade at the factory. The art may or may not be finalized at this point, but I was told that the code is still growing; the BK will minimally react even more during gameplay by the time the topper is produced and orders are taken - and who knows what else these ingenious pin geniuses will get it to do by then?

Once more: they are hoping to have the toppers ready so folks can order, receive and install them by Christmas.

#1412 24 days ago

Awesome topper, very interactive. Possibilities endless. Good work Stern!

#1413 24 days ago

Does anyone have an idea on price of the topper and when new code is going to be released?

#1414 24 days ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone have an idea on price of the topper and when new code is going to be released?

500$ if they stick with their pricing model... maybe more.

#1415 24 days ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Have you seen or heard anything on the side armors?

Side armor is live for ordering on Stern's website:

https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/black-knight-side-armor

I'd like to see a pic of it installed on all three models. But right now I'm not feeling it.

[Unrelated: the lit mosquito-in-amber shooter knob for JP is also live ... looks pretty neat.]

BlackKnightArmor-01_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).JPG
#1416 24 days ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Screenshot_20191017-171306_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1417 24 days ago

That topper is awesome but holy crap the price $$$

#1418 24 days ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Anyone happen to know the part number for the two hex spacers that lock down the upper playfield? I must of had a brittle one, male end just snapped as I started to screw it in.

I did the same thing! You have to contact stern because they aren’t for sale anywhere. They sent me one for free. From now on I will only hand tighten it because it takes very little force to break off. In the interim you can use a screw. It is the same style of threading. I can figure out the exact screw it that would help you.

#1419 24 days ago

FYI I had my top catapult plastic crack right where the balls flip up and into the trough. Seems likely to happen given the whipping impact right there.

Called stern and was told to email a picture and my info. Never heard back after I sent it yesterday. I assume they’ll send me a new one but it could be a continued issue in the future.

#1420 24 days ago
Quoted from John1210:

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I called my distro. He suspects power spike or surge from a failing flasher or gi or like the problem they had with Ghostbusters where the flasher was pressing against the metal rail I think causing problems. He didn't think it was a node board.
He suggested to test lighting and flashers first and all coils. He also told me to do a factory reset and reinstall code.
We will get to the bottom of it as the distro is quite knowledgeable and has a couple of guys that really know what they are doing. I'm not too concerned. Always ends up being something small and eventually gets sorted. I love this game so I'm still playing it regardless I'll post again to keep you updated also.

Thanks for the update. Went bulb by bulb with my tech/Distro yesterday and we didn’t find anything. Right now I have CN15 on node 9 disconnected (cn15 controls the upper GIs. There are 6 wires on it. 2 for the red 2 for the white and 2 unused). It has not errored out after an hour of play, which I suspected would be the case.

Assuming that continues, my next step is to just pull the red GI pins out of CN15 and plug it back in. I suspect it still won’t error. Then I will clip the pins back in and replace all of the upper GI bulbs and retest. If it goes back to failing, it means meticulously digging in wire by wire and it’s going to suck lol.

#1421 23 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Thanks for the update. Went bulb by bulb with my tech/Distro yesterday and we didn’t find anything. Right now I have CN15 on node 9 disconnected (cn15 controls the upper GIs. There are 6 wires on it. 2 for the red 2 for the white and 2 unused). It has not errored out after an hour of play, which I suspected would be the case.
Assuming that continues, my next step is to just pull the red GI pins out of CN15 and plug it back in. I suspect it still won’t error. Then I will clip the pins back in and replace all of the upper GI bulbs and retest. If it goes back to failing, it means meticulously digging in wire by wire and it’s going to suck lol.

I have the same issue and been going through the game searching for a short. Narrowed it down to white upper GI. But, no visible issue with the bulb sockets and swapped all the bulbs. Still trying to hunt it down. Please post if you find the issue...

#1422 23 days ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

I'd like to see a pic of it installed on all three models. But right now I'm not feeling it.

Same here, I think they are way too "large". But never know, I'd like to see installed picture too.

#1423 23 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

first post a picture of it

These, they were lying between the catapult and the curve metal rail.

P1040028 (resized).JPG
#1424 23 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. It's a pain when it's something small causing the problem. Keep me updated if you can.

I did a recode and after around 12 games I've only had the shield stop working once. The gi hasn't cut out again which is a good sign so far. Still not sure what is causing the shield opto to cut out mid ball. Is your shield still having problems?

#1425 23 days ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

That topper is awesome but holy crap the price $$$

Price is the same as The Munsters topper. Seems they raised the price $30 on any animated topper.

#1426 23 days ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Price is the same as The Munsters topper. Seems they raised the price $30 on any animated topper.

Actually they lowered em. Game of thrones was 5 Hundo.
Hoping to see what the new armor looks like on game... another big sword doesn’t seem like it’d fit on my pro

#1427 22 days ago

Played this on site for the first time yesterday..

WOW!

It's fast, brutal, and FUN!!

CANNOT wait to own this in a couple weeks or so!

#1428 22 days ago

The New topper is awesome, here’s a quick video I made from expo

#1429 22 days ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

I have the same issue and been going through the game searching for a short. Narrowed it down to white upper GI. But, no visible issue with the bulb sockets and swapped all the bulbs. Still trying to hunt it down. Please post if you find the issue...

So a third person now.

Please call Pat at Stern tech support. They need to know that this isn’t an isolated issue.

John1210, also. I know you have your distributor to work with, but Pat needs to be made aware, as the head tech.

Worst case, we need to press for new machines. It is absurd to expect owners to waste countless hours chasing a gremlin on a brand new $8k machine

#1430 22 days ago
Quoted from John1210:

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. It's a pain when it's something small causing the problem. Keep me updated if you can.
I did a recode and after around 12 games I've only had the shield stop working once. The gi hasn't cut out again which is a good sign so far. Still not sure what is causing the shield opto to cut out mid ball. Is your shield still having problems?

Unfortunately I don’t know that what you’re seeing is very promising. When mine fails, it will half the time not impact the GI and half the time it does. I would be genuinely shocked if recoding it fixes this issue since it is voltage/current related. To me, that solution is the equivalent of a computer tech asking you to restart the thing and see if it fixes it. Except here you get the bonus of losing all your high scores, too.

I was pretty confident that with CN15 on 9 disconnected, I was not going to ever have the error (played a good 2 hours). So I plugged it back in last night (with all pins still in the plug, just for fun). Played about an hour and no errors yet. I’m sure just typing this will jinx that and it’ll do it next game lol.

I’ll keep you guys posted. I bet more people will pile on soon with this, above and beyond the 3 we have already.

#1431 22 days ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

These, they were lying between the catapult and the curve metal rail.[quoted image]

95% sure that’s an opto board screw from
Inside the catapult. Take off the outer plastic (four screws on top) of the catapult and look on the front and back of it. Should be two screws in each board. Bet you’re missing one. If so, remove all the rest, Loctite and replace all 4.

#1432 22 days ago

Does anyone know if the new code will be out soon?

#1433 22 days ago

Probs line up with the topper release

#1434 22 days ago

I hope so.

#1435 21 days ago

Do we buy the topper from the Stern store is a distributor?
Anyone know what the armor looks like?
Or the shooter knob?

#1436 21 days ago

Do we buy the topper from the Stern store is a distributor?
Anyone know what the armor looks like?
Or the shooter knob?

Either when it’s available.
Here’s the armor:

Shooter is on there too.

#1437 21 days ago

Our location got JP today, and uh... I kinda bricked it with my 2nd ball. XD

WP_20191021_20_38_33_Pro (resized).jpg

Oh well,... f*** it, BK SoR is better anyway, let's play it the whole night!

#1438 21 days ago
Quoted from blimpey:

Either when it’s available.
Here’s the armor:
Shooter is on there too.

I’m not sure about that armor, but the shooter rod looks bad ass.

#1439 21 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I’m not sure about that armor, but the shooter rod looks bad ass.

The shooter rod is indeed very badass - and even more so since it's facing the right way when a player looks at it; it's not upside down like the stormtrooper helmet or baby Groot shooters.

But Stern really needs to post pics of the armor installed on all three models. At the moment, they way I'm envisioning it will look on a game is not taking me anywhere close to purchasing it. I'm certainly keeping open the possibility that once I see it installed on a game I may change my mind - but that opening for changing my mind to a purchase is getting narrower with every passing day.

#1440 21 days ago

I haven't been here in a few years, but since I bought a Premium and have had it for ~2 months I figured I should come here and see what people have to say. It took me most of a week to read the whole thread, and I've already learned a good deal so far, and I have quite a bit to say, but I'll just start with one item: the magna-save button.

I don't like where it is on the lock-down bar. Sure, it's easier for new players to find, and I can hit it with my left hand while I still keep my right hand on the right flipper button, but it introduces some problems. A large part of the time when I hit the button, my ring goes >crack< on the playfield glass, and I've accumulated a whole mess of fingerprints on the playfield glass. Also, they had to change how the lockdown bar is released-- sure, they included a flyer with how to release it with the machine, but there are going to be many servicepeople that need to maintain a BKSOR that will have never seen the flyer.

Plus, my magna-save button likes to stick down about 1 time in 3 or 4, and that's with a machine that's only ever been played in my basement by me. When someone on location spills some carbonated beverage on one of these buttons, or hits it with overly sticky hands, that button is going to get stuck down and be unusable.

Has anyone else had any problems with a sticky magna-save button, or is it just me?

#1441 21 days ago

Lookin to join this club. I see lots of LE's and Prems for sale. I'd like to buy a used pro if anyone wants to upgrade.

#1442 21 days ago
Quoted from Finrod:

I haven't been here in a few years, but since I bought a Premium and have had it for ~2 months I figured I should come here and see what people have to say. It took me most of a week to read the whole thread, and I've already learned a good deal so far, and I have quite a bit to say, but I'll just start with one item: the magna-save button.
I don't like where it is on the lock-down bar. Sure, it's easier for new players to find, and I can hit it with my left hand while I still keep my right hand on the right flipper button, but it introduces some problems. A large part of the time when I hit the button, my ring goes &gt;crack&lt; on the playfield glass, and I've accumulated a whole mess of fingerprints on the playfield glass. Also, they had to change how the lockdown bar is released-- sure, they included a flyer with how to release it with the machine, but there are going to be many servicepeople that need to maintain a BKSOR that will have never seen the flyer.
Plus, my magna-save button likes to stick down about 1 time in 3 or 4, and that's with a machine that's only ever been played in my basement by me. When someone on location spills some carbonated beverage on one of these buttons, or hits with overly sticky hands, that button is going to get stuck down and be unusable.
Has anyone else had any problems with a sticky magna-save button, or is it just me?

Stern have been using this new type of lockdown bar for almost 4 years now. I think most folks have got it. In my view its a huge improvement over the lever mech.

#1443 21 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Stern have been using this new type of lockdown bar for almost 4 years now. I think most folks have got it. In my view its a huge improvement over the lever mech.

Okay. It's new to me-- my second-newest machine is a Doctor Who.

#1444 21 days ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Unfortunately I don’t know that what you’re seeing is very promising. When mine fails, it will half the time not impact the GI and half the time it does. I would be genuinely shocked if recoding it fixes this issue since it is voltage/current related. To me, that solution is the equivalent of a computer tech asking you to restart the thing and see if it fixes it. Except here you get the bonus of losing all your high scores, too.
I was pretty confident that with CN15 on 9 disconnected, I was not going to ever have the error (played a good 2 hours). So I plugged it back in last night (with all pins still in the plug, just for fun). Played about an hour and no errors yet. I’m sure just typing this will jinx that and it’ll do it next game lol.
I’ll keep you guys posted. I bet more people will pile on soon with this, above and beyond the 3 we have already.

That's promising news. I will check my cn15.

When I spoke to my distro he told me that recoding the game can fix problems. He also stated even changing some of the basic settings can set off a bug hence the factory reset. These guys are proven knowledgeable about this stuff to me anyway and they don't typically just shoot in the dark. I can see how it's contrary to logic however.

All that said it does seem we have a very similar problem. After I did a recode I've played around 20 games with no problem with the gi or shield opto. Whatever was the problem the game seems to have cleared its throat so to speak. Fingers crossed. I'm playing around 5 games a night for the rest of the week before I contact them with an update. If it happens again even once I'll be back onto them for help.

#1445 21 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Lookin to join this club. I see lots of LE's and Prems for sale. I'd like to buy a used pro if anyone wants to upgrade.

The pro is a great table

#1446 20 days ago

Called Melissa at Cointaker and got put on the list for a topper. Nice!

#1447 20 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

The pro is a great table

Ive watched a lot of videos and spoken with owners. That upper pf just looks more frustrating than fun. Plus I like all of the pro art better than the other models but this is just my opinion.

#1448 20 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Ive watched a lot of videos and spoken with owners. That upper pf just looks more frustrating than fun. Plus I like all of the pro art better than the other models but this is just my opinion.

It’s a major part of the game that it really would be missing something without. Not only is it a really fun skill shot, but of course the catapult Multiball, and also the shield target counts as a monster hit. Also 6 ball multiball is crazy fun.

#1449 20 days ago

This would be a one trick pony game without the upper pf.

#1450 20 days ago

This would be a one trick pony game without the upper pf.

I certainly get that people feel this way. Lots of people say the same of TWD Prem/LE with the walker bombs and all. Ive owned both TWD's and in the end preferred the pro. It's great that stern offers these options.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 1529 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside