IMG_1923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1925 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1788 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1776 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1765 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1783 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1787 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5,570 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 112.
#951 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Uhm ... by the way it was marketed.
Perhaps you never saw any of the marketing, but take a look at the teaser trailer that kicked off the anticipation:
Then again, perhaps you saw it and it made you LOL. And that's OK if it did.
No pinball game is ultimately serious. But, just as in movies, video games and other fictional stories/worlds, you suspend your disbelief when you enter. But there still needs to be a fairly consistent and logical set of parameters established and followed to allow us to continue to maintain that suspension of disbelief.
Steve may have talked for 18 years about creating a "Beige Knight." Cool. But the game I bought specifically says "Black Knight Sword of Rage" not "Beige Knight Sword of Miffed."
For those of us who grew up with Black Knight and Black Knight 2000 and love the lawful evil nature of the character, suddenly giving the Black Knight in Sword of Rage an increasingly cowering sense of humor in a code update is not Black Knight 3 - it turns the game into a Black Knight reboot. And that's not what was advertised and why I bought one.
But again: just make it an adjustment along with adding an adult option and everyone will be very happy because whoever comes to own a BKSOR can select the Black Knight's persona based on where they're operating the game, thus tailoring it to everyone from HUO family with kids to adults-only locations.

A teaser is a teaser and it is absolutely clear if you look at the story and some of the enemys, the Match sequence etc. that they don't take it 100% seriously.
(Additionally I listened trough the first Code that was released via Pinball Browser and all the "funny" snippets were allready in.)

If this ruins your game, just change the callouts or load some code where someone allready did this (I'm sure it'll happen).

#952 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

But again: just make it an adjustment along with adding an adult option and everyone will be very happy because whoever comes to own a BKSOR can select the Black Knight's persona based on where they're operating the game, thus tailoring it to everyone from HUO family with kids to adults-only locations.

I completely understand where you're coming from. While I don't mind the soft call outs, I do feel they are being played too often right now. When I hear 3 soft call outs in a row and I'm only at the third realm (still some distance from the castle), it feels a little early for the BK to start wavering. I think a setting to adjust the frequency down or off would be great and give everyone the ability to set the game as they enjoy. It would be worth sending a friendly email to Stern with the feedback. I did. It may get ignored, but it stands more chance of helping to make our games better by putting the feedback in front of them

#953 4 years ago
Quoted from Jesder:

I completely understand where you're coming from. While I don't mind the soft call outs, I do feel they are being played a too often right now. When I hear 3 soft call outs in a row and I'm only at the third realm (still some distance from the castle), it feels a little early for the BK to start wavering. I think a setting to adjust the frequency down or off would be great and give everyone the ability to set the game as they enjoy. It would be worth sending a friendly email to Stern with the feedback. I did. It may get ignored, but it stands more chance of helping to make our games better by putting the feedback in front of them

Ah, that I didn't know.

Thought they get played shortly before defeating him.

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Uhm ... by the way it was marketed.
Perhaps you never saw any of the marketing, but take a look at the teaser trailer that kicked off the anticipation:
Then again, perhaps you saw it and it made you LOL. And that's OK if it did.
No pinball game is ultimately serious. But, just as in movies, video games and other fictional stories/worlds, you suspend your disbelief when you enter. But there still needs to be a fairly consistent and logical set of parameters established and followed to allow us to continue to maintain that suspension of disbelief.
Steve may have talked for 18 years about creating a "Beige Knight." Cool. But the game I bought specifically says "Black Knight Sword of Rage" not "Beige Knight Sword of Miffed."
For those of us who grew up with Black Knight and Black Knight 2000 and love the lawful evil nature of the character, suddenly giving the Black Knight in Sword of Rage an increasingly cowering sense of humor in a code update is not Black Knight 3 - it turns the game into a Black Knight reboot. And that's not what was advertised and why I bought one.

Perhaps the Black Knight has just been misunderstood all these years, and he's really a pretty swell guy!

#955 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Perhaps the Black Knight has just been misunderstood all these years, and he's really a pretty swell guy!

That's what he actually says!

#956 4 years ago

Apparently he has 26 kids to feed too. Explains why he's been so grumpy and needs all the coin

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

A teaser is a teaser and it is absolutely clear if you look at the story and some of the enemys, the Match sequence etc. that they don't take it 100% seriously.

I agree. It is pretty obvious that they don't take the whole game 100% seriously. And one need look no further than movies and TV for hundreds of examples of very evil villains who have stupid and/or funny minions. But why didn't they tease the humor, then? The story, the enemies, the Match sequence, etc. are not the Black Knight character himself.

I want my big boss battle to be against the Black Knight I saw in all the marketing - a Black Knight who is at his strongest and who will bring it relentlessly, not a Black Knight who keeps telling me that I'm making him more and more nervous about fighting me and who is suddenly having second thoughts about it. I want to defeat a VERY formidable villain, not one who's getting scared of me and who I've already half-beaten before the final battle begins. I want to earn and savor defeating the Black Knight at the top of his game - both in terms of playfield objectives necessary and persona conveyed.

In D&D terms, I consider the Black Knight, especially as portrayed in the first two games, to be a lawful evil character. He's not a clown. He's not chaotic. He's intelligent and calculating in addition to being arrogant and strong. And he forcefully but respectfully acknowledges your success in beating him (think "You are champion" in BK2K); he does not wimp out even in defeat.

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

(Additionally I listened trough the first Code that was released via Pinball Browser and all the "funny" snippets were allready in.)

Wonder why they waited until version 1.00 to activate these callouts then? Perhaps 1.00 is a trial to see how they go over.
Regardless, it's rather simple to make it an adjustment code-wise.

#958 4 years ago

So if you didn't get the kit/fix from Stern I came up with a 2 minute help to the upper play field.Just cut a couple of
post rubbers vertically and set them around the post closest to the flipper(there are 4 posts I tried on# 3 2 away from the flipper but The post closest to the flipper works best...The new code is awesome ..keep it coming..Thanks Steve and Tim

#959 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I’ve asked about this before and didn’t get any responses. I will tell you that the play field protector actually caused marking on my upper play field. I am not sure if this is better or worse than it would have been. My theory is that it is better because the ball can’t cut into the plastic, but I don’t know. I would love to see some pictures.

Which one?

Also arent there supposed to be some new plastic protectors from Stern?

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Which one?
Also arent there supposed to be some new plastic protectors from Stern?

I’m talking about the clear plastic PET G protector from play field protectors. I don’t think Stern makes those. If they do, I would love to check it out.

#961 4 years ago

Track listing for LE BKSOR soundtrack vinyl..... Nice piece of heavy metal history. Full of tasty shredology. Baby Blue vinyl color wouldn't have been my first choice............$20 retail. Street price is going up.........

IMG_4646 (resized).jpgIMG_4646 (resized).jpgIMG_4648 (resized).jpgIMG_4648 (resized).jpg
#962 4 years ago

How do we buy that sound track?

#963 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

How do we buy that sound track?

It was only sold at the the 2019 comic con in California at the Stern booth. All 100 copies gone . Not sure if they will re release on digital or wax format.

#964 4 years ago
Quoted from TREX:

It was only sold at the the 2019 comic con in California at the Stern booth. All 100 copies gone . Not sure if they will re release on digital or wax format.

Last time I looked (about an hour ago) there were four copies for sale on eBay - but brace yourself for the prices.

#965 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Last time I looked (about an hour ago) there were four copies for sale on eBay - but brace yourself for the prices.

Wow ... well someone was nice enough to pick one up for me I won’t be selling mine !!!

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Wow ... well someone was nice enough to pick one up for me I won’t be selling mine !!!

LEs should have come with one. Just sayin'.

#967 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

I want one, but not for that price.

I hope they make it downloadable or let my buy a cassette...

...yes, I still have a cassette radio in my car and use it.

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

LEs should have come with one. Just sayin'.

There is a lot of stuff they should have come with haha

#969 4 years ago

And I will say at $250 it’s tempting but I am not gonna do that when someone does something nice to get it for me

#970 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

And I will say at $250 it’s tempting but I am not gonna do that when someone does something nice to get it for me

I just saw the $250 price. NO WAY!

#971 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

No - the evil taunts are still there.
But in version 1.00 they included additional callouts where the Black Knight begins to lose that persona and say some humorous things indicating that he's becoming afraid of your strength/power/abilities as you progress in the game.

That’s amazing!

#972 4 years ago

This has to be one of my favorite games of all time. Especially after latest code update. Last code update has made this
machine sing.

EXCEPT FOR 1 MAJOR THING.

SOUND! I am having a Helluva time fixing my sound issues. The callouts are so loud they typically overdrive my speakers.
Additionally I find the callouts "Come At Me bro" and a few of the more abrasive callouts a bit to much.
I've been thinking of "Tweaking" the sound with the Pinball Browser app to soften the blow to the speakers and fix what
I feel is mishandling of our Lord Steve Richie's voice.

EXTRA BALL LIGHTSHOW Changup

I noticed this changed why?

Other than that I have no quarrel with BSKOR. Other than combatting all the h@ters on this game.
Find me at Pinburg and I'd love to challenge you.

Granted I have the Premium model and simply love it. Will play PRO this weekend I hope to see what's
different.

Additional. I've given some thought into adding some Monty Python sounds in the mix. While I love the mix
there are some Amazeball Tracks from Sir Ian I'd like to add.

#973 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I just saw the $250 price. NO WAY!

POS scalpers trying to fleece the community.

#974 4 years ago
3BEBF136-545C-4CBF-B2B8-315B1927B5FF (resized).jpeg3BEBF136-545C-4CBF-B2B8-315B1927B5FF (resized).jpeg
#975 4 years ago

By the way the game sounds great on headphones .. I think the low end speakers can’t handle the bassy voice .

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

SOUND! I am having a Helluva time fixing my sound issues. The callouts are so loud they typically overdrive my speakers.

Have you tried adjusting the Speech Attenuation setting? I found the speech was too high myself and have ended up adjusting both the speech and music settings to:

Music Attenuation : -7
Speech Attenuation : 6

(Larger number brings it down and the negative number brings it up).

#977 4 years ago

This one it was $200 they lowered it to $120. Sold

Screenshot_20190731-182449_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190731-182449_eBay (resized).jpg
#978 4 years ago

New stern art blades certainly add to the art package!

1711722A-D896-4F87-BF16-5E52E480C6EA (resized).jpeg1711722A-D896-4F87-BF16-5E52E480C6EA (resized).jpeg89BD76A2-9CA6-4D16-A508-B66B8BD81278 (resized).jpeg89BD76A2-9CA6-4D16-A508-B66B8BD81278 (resized).jpegD0443F92-6C5E-4602-8B2F-F593C416A6F1 (resized).jpegD0443F92-6C5E-4602-8B2F-F593C416A6F1 (resized).jpeg
#979 4 years ago

Looks real good.

#980 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

This has to be one of my favorite games of all time. Especially after latest code update. Last code update has made this
machine sing.
Additionally I find the callouts "Come At Me bro" and a few of the more abrasive callouts a bit to much.
I've been thinking of "Tweaking" the sound with the Pinball Browser app to soften the blow to the speakers and fix what
I feel is mishandling of our Lord Steve Richie's voice.
EXTRA BALL LIGHTSHOW Changup
I noticed this changed why?
Other than that I have no quarrel with BSKOR. Other than combatting all the h@ters on this game.
Find me at Pinburg and I'd love to challenge you.
Granted I have the Premium model and simply love it. Will play PRO this weekend I hope to see what's
different.
Additional. I've given some thought into adding some Monty Python sounds in the mix. While I love the mix
there are some Amazeball Tracks from Sir Ian I'd like to add.

TS - I agree ! Game is frigging awesome ... however I am an audio guy and I hear major distortion around call out / bass type sounds.
I bought the headset adapter and it does help but not 100%...

I am even looking at upgrading all the speakers but want to know if that helps or if it’s just garbage in garbage out.

Game is so fun and core update is fun... example - I am loving the challenge and speed while my even my youngest child loves it with last chance mode etc.

#981 4 years ago

Has anyone put art blades on the pre? Wondering how they will look with the upper pf

#982 4 years ago

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it. I updated code to 1.0 Pro and have played multiple games. I looked under audits for random reason and nothing is there. 0 balls played, 0 flippers, etc. etc. only thing there was Lifetime games played. Anyone else have similar?

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Has anyone put art blades on the pre? Wondering how they will look with the upper pf

Just got them from Stern today will be putting them on tomorrow evening. I’ll take a picture and post it.

Just saw the side armor today it looks ok, I like the Deadpool ones better.

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from Carz5811:

Where did you see it, Carz?

It doesn’t seem to be on the Stern site yet unless I’m missing it.

#985 4 years ago
Quoted from Brady2Gronk:

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it. I updated code to 1.0 Pro and have played multiple games. I looked under audits for random reason and nothing is there. 0 balls played, 0 flippers, etc. etc. only thing there was Lifetime games played. Anyone else have similar?

Brady2Gronk I had the exact same issue when my machine arrived (was running 0.94). The only audits that were working were life time games and magna save uses. Stern had me put a USB stick into the board and run an Audit dump (From memory it's in the Utilities menu). This writes a file to the USB stick with the state of the Audits. From that point, my audits started running properly.

Not sure why running the audit dump got the audits working again, but give it a try as it worked for me. Dump the audits to USB, play a few games and check if they are now tallying.

#986 4 years ago

I set my speech attenuation to 5 and it sounds great. I equate it to lowering the "preamp" so it stops distorting and raising the volume of the "power amp" (by raising the main volume from the coin door) and it should be loud and clear.

Quoted from jbigdoggf:

TS - I agree ! Game is frigging awesome ... however I am an audio guy and I hear major distortion around call out / bass type sounds.
I bought the headset adapter and it does help but not 100%...
I am even looking at upgrading all the speakers but want to know if that helps or if it’s just garbage in garbage out.
Game is so fun and core update is fun... example - I am loving the challenge and speed while my even my youngest child loves it with last chance mode etc.

#987 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Where did you see it, Carz?
It doesn’t seem to be on the Stern site yet unless I’m missing it.

Your distributor should have a photo of them

#988 4 years ago

I'm guessing I missed similar discussions before, but now that 1.0 code is out, what is the opinion from owners on the longevity of the Pro model in a small lineup now? Does this game have the depth to keep you interested and coming back for more longterm? Are the modes varied enough to be fun the 50th time you play each? I enjoyed playing this at SFGE, right up there with DP overall. Just weighing a few options for the next pin...

#989 4 years ago

Thanks for info on Speech settings. Counter Intuitive

#990 4 years ago

Thanks for info @jesder. I will try that tonight.

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I'm guessing I missed similar discussions before, but now that 1.0 code is out, what is the opinion from owners on the longevity of the Pro model in a small lineup now? Does this game have the depth to keep you interested and coming back for more longterm? Are the modes varied enough to be fun the 50th time you play each? I enjoyed playing this at SFGE, right up there with DP overall. Just weighing a few options for the next pin...

I fully acknowledge that I am still in the honeymood stage with my pro, but at this point I honestly can't see it leaving my collection. It has so much personality and an addictive nature. It is brutal, but not unfair. Adrenaline rush from start to finish. I find the code to be great. It isn't the deepest code in the world, but it is well matched with the brutality of the playfield, if that makes sense. If it was much deeper, only the elite players would ever see the end. The battles are each unique with a feel and personality of their own. I love the "supers" system, with its risk/reward strategy and accidental cash-ins. The sword / power is a much more interesting take on the Star Trek Away Team / GOTG Upgrade idea. The risk/reward of having supers and power start from the crazy dangerous Black Knight shot is genius. Knight retro mode is amazing as a fan of the first game. It is very obtainable during a decent game and is a really nice mid-point mini-wizard to break up the battles. The Black Castle is the perfect difficulty in my opinion. It takes a great game, but it's doable. I've only gotten there once so far, and I didn't beat BK, so I have yet to see Rage. I also haven't seen Ransom yet, so that is another challenging yet obtainable reward waiting for me. This game definitely can't be breezed through (at least for me), but I do not think anything is too difficult or impossible for mortals to reach. Great balance.

I will admit, I do wish there was one more stackable multiball available in the pro. Catapult could have been implemented and tied to the left VUK, but I get that it was kept as something special for the prem/LE. That said, it doesn't really feel like anything is missing, it just would have been nice to have.

As for the layout, yes, it is a simple layout, but every single shot is so satisfying. I have only played a handful of games on the premium, but the upper playfield just didn't grab me. Then again I am (oddly) not a big fan of BK2K, especially the upper playfield, so I guess that's not a surprise. The catapult is a very cool mech and difficult yet satisfying to hit, but I found it to distracted me from the rest of the game too much. If all you are doing is concentrating on the upper playfield and getting catapult going, it is going to get repetitive fast. It also killed the flow of the ramp. The pro ramp is simple and shallow, but man it feels so good to hit. And comboing the ramp into the shield lock from an on the fly backhand has quickly become one of my favorite combos ever. It just feels so good...even better somehow than an upper flipper ramp Picard maneuver type shot. I feel sorry for the prem/LE guys losing that combo. Sure, you can do it when you drain from the upper, or by letting it just pass through, but it will never be the same as off of a silky smooth ramp. Nearly every shot is backhand-able which is always fun. The light lock target can even be backhanded, which is a cool shot. Yes...this game even manages to make stand-up targets feel good, LOL! It would be nice if Magnasave was a little stronger or better positioned to be as effective as the older machines were. My old BK could suck a ball half way out of the outlane. This one is more of a preventative measure than a real save. I probably use it on a fair number of balls that wouldn't have needed it, but better safe than sorry. As long as it's above the post it will usually catch (unless very fast moving), but once it's a hair down the outlane, forget it. Still, I love it, have gotten used to how to use it, and am very glad it's here. And I personally love it being on the lockdown bar. Nothing more satisfying than smacking it and watching the ball snap onto the save with that awesome sound and shaker effect firing. Good stuff.

As for the Black Knight himself...what a great "toy". Tying three different shots into one highly themed and great looking toy was just genius. The flail is wicked cool and used in great ways. The body target is such a sucker shot, but so valuable when supers or power is lit. The shield lock is awesome. I love that the shield not only blocks the lock lane, but can smack the ball back at you like the old Gottlieb kicking targets. Top it off with the bling of the face LEDs changing color based on what he's saying to you! So fun, so well theme integrated, and great looking to boot.

All of the art assets are second to none in my opinion. Just a beautiful machine all around. The animations are killer. Lich Lords mode start is my favorite animation of all time...just so intense. Every mode start feels special and like the start of an epic battle. It just pulls you in like few games do. I just can't say enough good things about the animations. Kudos to the team behind them...they killed it! I would like to see a little tweaking done to when WAR hurry-ups start, are going, and are finished. When in the middle of a battle, half the time I do not know WAR is happening (other than the insert lights, which are very well done). I'd like a little more fanfare to call more attention to it, but that's a nitpick. Maybe just a "THIS IS WAR" callout at the start? The lightshow overall is amazing. Sound, speech, and the killer music are all awesome. My only gripe is I never EVER, EVER want to hear the Black Knight call me "brah". I appreciate the humor added, including the "waivering confidence" stuff as you get closer to him, but BK should never say that word, LOL. (Yes I know...i'm too old...get off my lawn. ). I might even change that one using Pinball Browser as it's the only one that actually makes me cringe, and not in a good way. Other than that...everything is spot on. I do get some distortion from the speakers at a fairly low volume, so I think some audio levels could probably be tweaked, but that's minor and there are some adjustments in the settings that could probably help. Also, the shaker motor integration is great...one of the best I've played.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a full review (actually I may copy paste it into the review section). I just am really in love with this game and can't say enough good about it. I feel sorry for those that have dismissed it as being stripped down or too simple. Steve Ritchie once again proves that a great game doesn't have to be too complex. This is a pure battle pin...fast, flowy, and brutal, with a fun and fitting ruleset, wrapped in amazing art and A/V assets.

As for the comparison with DP...that's a tough one. I actually sold my DP pro to fund my BK, however I only let it go because I intend to upgrade to a DP premium at some point down the road. I would say they are very close to equals in my mind. DP is a bit more lighthearted fun, BK is a little more intense and adrenaline pumping. BK shoots better, but DP has more interesting, though sometimes clunky, shots. DP is probably a bit deeper, which is appropriate as it plays longer. DP is a bit more unique in both layout and code, but that isn't a knock on BK by any means. If forced to choose, at this point I would say BK as I love the intensity and adrenaline, but DP is right there with it. Once I manage to bring a DP premium home, they will both be long term keepers for me, so you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck with the choice!

#993 4 years ago
Quoted from Lord_RyGuy:I set my speech attenuation to 5 and it sounds great. I equate it to lowering the "preamp" so it stops distorting and raising the volume of the "power amp" (by raising the main volume from the coin door) and it should be loud and clear.

This the is the answer. I don't have my settings in front of me but cranked down the callout levels by increasing the Speech Attenuation and increased the music via decreasing the Music Attenuation on my location game, so the callouts were less booming and overwellming and you could actually hear the rockin' guitar tunes.

#994 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

You made it even harder for me!

I actually read all that, thx.

One question:
Care to elaborate the shaker integration?
Does the shaker now go off if you hit the Black Knight target?
The "kinetic satisfaction" in that shot is/ was the only thing that doesn't fully feel right for me.
Or how is it integrated?
(For me the shaker just saves the whole GoT Pro, making the machine shake when the Dragon flaps his wings or you shoot the ram.)

#995 4 years ago
Quoted from Carz5811:

Huh, what, where?
Link PLZ!!!

#996 4 years ago

Additionally (and sorry to spam this thread):
Is there noe a red "running light" mod available for the ramp on the Pro, to make it look like on the Premium/ LE?

#997 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I fully acknowledge that I am still in the honeymood stage with my pro, but at this point I honestly can't see it leaving my collection. It has so much personality and an addictive nature. It is brutal, but not unfair. Adrenaline rush from start to finish. I find the code to be great. It isn't the deepest code in the world, but it is well matched with the brutality of the playfield, if that makes sense. If it was much deeper, only the elite players would ever see the end. The battles are each unique with a feel and personality of their own. I love the "supers" system, with its risk/reward strategy and accidental cash-ins. The sword / power is a much more interesting take on the Star Trek Away Team / GOTG Upgrade idea. The risk/reward of having supers and power start from the crazy dangerous Black Knight shot is genius. Knight retro mode is amazing as a fan of the first game. It is very obtainable during a decent game and is a really nice mid-point mini-wizard to break up the battles. The Black Castle is the perfect difficulty in my opinion. It takes a great game, but it's doable. I've only gotten there once so far, and I didn't beat BK, so I have yet to see Rage. I also haven't seen Ransom yet, so that is another challenging yet obtainable reward waiting for me. This game definitely can't be breezed through (at least for me), but I do not think anything is too difficult or impossible for mortals to reach. Great balance.
I will admit, I do wish there was one more stackable multiball available in the pro. Catapult could have been implemented and tied to the left VUK, but I get that it was kept as something special for the prem/LE. That said, it doesn't really feel like anything is missing, it just would have been nice to have.
As for the layout, yes, it is a simple layout, but every single shot is so satisfying. I have only played a handful of games on the premium, but the upper playfield just didn't grab me. Then again I am (oddly) not a big fan of BK2K, especially the upper playfield, so I guess that's not a surprise. The catapult is a very cool mech and difficult yet satisfying to hit, but I found it to distracted me from the rest of the game too much. If all you are doing is concentrating on the upper playfield and getting catapult going, it is going to get repetitive fast. It also killed the flow of the ramp. The pro ramp is simple and shallow, but man it feels so good to hit. And comboing the ramp into the shield lock from an on the fly backhand has quickly become one of my favorite combos ever. It just feels so good...even better somehow than an upper flipper ramp Picard maneuver type shot. I feel sorry for the prem/LE guys losing that combo. Sure, you can do it when you drain from the upper, or by letting it just pass through, but it will never be the same as off of a silky smooth ramp. Nearly every shot is backhand-able which is always fun. The light lock target can even be backhanded, which is a cool shot. Yes...this game even manages to make stand-up targets feel good, LOL! It would be nice if Magnasave was a little stronger or better positioned to be as effective as the older machines were. My old BK could suck a ball half way out of the outlane. This one is more of a preventative measure than a real save. I probably use it on a fair number of balls that wouldn't have needed it, but better safe than sorry. As long as it's above the post it will usually catch (unless very fast moving), but once it's a hair down the outlane, forget it. Still, I love it, have gotten used to how to use it, and am very glad it's here. And I personally love it being on the lockdown bar. Nothing more satisfying than smacking it and watching the ball snap onto the save with that awesome sound and shaker effect firing. Good stuff.
As for the Black Knight himself...what a great "toy". Tying three different shots into one highly themed and great looking toy was just genius. The flail is wicked cool and used in great ways. The body target is such a sucker shot, but so valuable when supers or power is lit. The shield lock is awesome. I love that the shield not only blocks the lock lane, but can smack the ball back at you like the old Gottlieb kicking targets. Top it off with the bling of the face LEDs changing color based on what he's saying to you! So fun, so well theme integrated, and great looking to boot.
All of the art assets are second to none in my opinion. Just a beautiful machine all around. The animations are killer. Lich Lords mode start is my favorite animation of all time...just so intense. Every mode start feels special and like the start of an epic battle. It just pulls you in like few games do. I just can't say enough good things about the animations. Kudos to the team behind them...they killed it! I would like to see a little tweaking done to when WAR hurry-ups start, are going, and are finished. When in the middle of a battle, half the time I do not know WAR is happening (other than the insert lights, which are very well done). I'd like a little more fanfare to call more attention to it, but that's a nitpick. Maybe just a "THIS IS WAR" callout at the start? The lightshow overall is amazing. Sound, speech, and the killer music are all awesome. My only gripe is I never EVER, EVER want to hear the Black Knight call me "brah". I appreciate the humor added, including the "waivering confidence" stuff as you get closer to him, but BK should never say that word, LOL. (Yes I know...i'm too old...get off my lawn. ). I might even change that one using Pinball Browser as it's the only one that actually makes me cringe, and not in a good way. Other than that...everything is spot on. I do get some distortion from the speakers at a fairly low volume, so I think some audio levels could probably be tweaked, but that's minor and there are some adjustments in the settings that could probably help. Also, the shaker motor integration is great...one of the best I've played.
Sorry this turned into a bit of a full review (actually I may copy paste it into the review section). I just am really in love with this game and can't say enough good about it. I feel sorry for those that have dismissed it as being stripped down or too simple. Steve Ritchie once again proves that a great game doesn't have to be too complex. This is a pure battle pin...fast, flowy, and brutal, with a fun and fitting ruleset, wrapped in amazing art and A/V assets.
As for the comparison with DP...that's a tough one. I actually sold my DP pro to fund my BK, however I only let it go because I intend to upgrade to a DP premium at some point down the road. I would say they are very close to equals in my mind. DP is a bit more lighthearted fun, BK is a little more intense and adrenaline pumping. BK shoots better, but DP has more interesting, though sometimes clunky, shots. DP is probably a bit deeper, which is appropriate as it plays longer. DP is a bit more unique in both layout and code, but that isn't a knock on BK by any means. If forced to choose, at this point I would say BK as I love the intensity and adrenaline, but DP is right there with it. Once I manage to bring a DP premium home, they will both be long term keepers for me, so you can't go wrong with either.

What a review!!! You are right on with how adrenaline pumping this game is. All the shots on this playfield (pro) are very satisfying indeed. Have had the game for awhile now and still enjoy playing it just as much when it first arrived.

#998 4 years ago

These little sexy slashers came in today. These are our new flipper toppers available in sets of two or three starting next week. We have pops in the works also.
Hookedonpinball.com

received_904915513174258 (resized).jpegreceived_904915513174258 (resized).jpeg
#999 4 years ago

Got the new Speakerlightkits.com LE kit with mirrored acrylic inserts. Easy installation and they look fantastic. Here is a quick video on the out of box setting:

#1000 4 years ago
Quoted from Lord_RyGuy:

I set my speech attenuation to 5 and it sounds great. I equate it to lowering the "preamp" so it stops distorting and raising the volume of the "power amp" (by raising the main volume from the coin door) and it should be loud and clear.

This worked very well thank you both !!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pillager, MN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.00
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
There are 5,570 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/20?hl=jbigdoggf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.