0618172139 (resized).jpg
106B9EE6-29D0-45E4-AC4D-B9B1DB58ACEC (resized).jpeg
2y6jho (resized).jpg
BC11C9BC-3E57-4965-ADDE-BD9560F869BE (resized).jpeg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
2B08628F-FE77-405D-BDCF-8B0B2114A05A (resized).jpeg
9FBD316C-1F06-4EBB-8A22-B1339B1CF6B5 (resized).jpeg
Battle (resized).jpg

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

As always RD wise words..... but you once advised me to “sell of my clangers and go modern.”

Yeah ... but do remember that you had 25-30 pins stashed in secret locations all over the city just sitting in storage, all in various states of disrepair ...

You’re much better to have 2-3 mint pins you can actually play than 30 pieces of crap that you’re paying weekly storage fees on.

rd

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Although people who own JJ Potc will swear how great it is and it is great in parts. It’s hard to ignore that there are no movie scenes at all. I’m guessing that Wonka is going to have a more complete use of assets and sometimes a shorter story like one single movie is easier to get the most from than a sprawling 5 movie arc.
Plus a lot of people don’t care for Potc beyond the first or second movie. Imo

Typically I would never have considered buying a game like Pirates due to the lack of licensed assets. So why in the hell did I? Lol. It's the incredible layout, the cool toys, and especially the code design, the code design is just awesome.

Due to the lack of actor audio and actor video in the game (beyond the awesome Kevin McNally callouts) the ruleset had to be designed a certain way and the game is better for it in my opinion. The pick a character feature adds a ton of variety to the game, more then I ever thought it would as it's implemented so well.

Another big plus for Pirates is how Keith and team implemented the 5 wizard modes and 1 super wizard mode (still coming) in the game. With nearly all pins, LOTR and WOZ included, when you reach a mid wizard mode (Destroy the Ring, Battle the Wicked Witch) you end up having to either repeat all the qualifiers after you reach it to light it again (which can feel like a grind a second time in the same game) or attempt to go after the super wizard mode which is extremely hard to get to. With Pirates it's like having 5 different Destroy the Ring or 5 Battle the Wicked Witch modes in 1 game. Reach one? Go after a different set of qualifiers to reach 1 of the other 4. Start a new game and use a different character to change how the game is played. Super cool.

I hope Willy Wonka has multiple wizard modes in it. I'm betting it will just like Dialed In. That game does a great job of rewarding the player for both attempting and completing certain tasks with how wizard modes are qualified. Having just 1 mid / mini wizard mode, like LOTR and WOZ, can over time make those games feel repeitive. I love my WOZ but after I reach Battle the Wicked Witch I'm often not excited to repeat all of the same tasks again.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I gotta a feeling Wonka will make BKSR look like a system 11 game.

Damn! This has me wanting a BKSR even more than before.

#54 4 years ago

Wonka is intriguing to me but if “ The Candy Man “ song is anywhere in that pin,it just might kill a purchase. That has to being the top five worst songs ever written.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Damn! This has me wanting a BKSR even more than before.

Indeed. Some fast and furious action where a single game doesn't last 30-60 minutes is actually something some of us like.

#56 4 years ago

BK LE on order. Not even considering WW at this time. I haven't seen a Lawlor game that I like enough to buy since TZ. 26 years and counting.

#57 4 years ago

I'm probably in for a wonka as long as there are no cell phones in the game

#58 4 years ago

Wonka for me!!

#59 4 years ago

I guess I vote Swords of Fury:

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

WOZ and dialed in are ok but both feel like little kiddie machines to me; I mean dialed in has bob the builder on it

<sarcasm>Yeah, I understand. Spiderman, Deadpool, Transformers, X-men, Iron Man, quotes like 'snake vomit' .... all are very manly and mature </sarcasm>
If I see pinball themes like above, I'd think a lot of them are meant for 15 year olds (but I know they aren 't ). Do I enjoy them? Sure I do! But I never get the 'that's just a kiddy theme/thing'-remarks by grown men (mostly men) who collect toys for big boys (i.e. pinball).
I think DI is a great game. Theme? I must say I don't care for it, but I do love the complete package (shots, animations, rules, sounds). I think with my 41 years I'm way to old to worry about 'kiddie things' in a pinball machine.

That said, I think Black Knight can be a great game. I think it's really good to see Stern doing something without a license with restrictions. Let's see what they can bring!

And I'm really looking forward to seeing what Willy Wonka will play like and what the complete package will be. I Voted Willy Wonky, because I think POTC and DI were great games and most complete (great to shoot, great rules and animations and audio), but I also do like new Sterns a lot (especially Iron Maiden for its layout and rules).
And some games are less 'my thing'. The Hobbit has great visuals and audio, but I like the layout less than the other JJP games. And I didn't like Deadpool as much as Iron Maiden, though I have played to little games on Deadpool to really form a good opinion about that game.

#61 4 years ago

Hopefully Wonka has a Prominant mode for the weird chocolate river boat trip. Amazing.

#62 4 years ago

We will have multiples of both. I like to play and really don't need the deepest rule sheet. I like how sometimes I can figure out the deep rules but mostly I just go for mode stacking or Multiball. Both games should provide me some fun and I'm glad both of these licenses are coming to light.

#63 4 years ago

I want them all.

#64 4 years ago

Agree Dave that prices here in New Zealand are high.
As for build quality and brand it is always going to be like a car brand. People will never agree on one and if they have similar then the mods come into play.

I prefer a fast game, swear at it and play another 5 or 6 till I have a great ball and think wow that’s cool. It is nice to jump on another style of game for a change of pace or battle the kids on. They love the woz and sure will be on the tx sector when we set it up.

Both machines have great designers and things have come along since I last splashed out on a new pin, it will take a few years to be in a position to buy another unless I tell the girls we are not doing Disney this year. (That’s not happening)

#65 4 years ago

Here is about the third thread started that can't seem to get title of machine correct.

It's SWORD singular not pural.

#66 4 years ago

For me, based on the prices, unless somehow Wonka is the worst game ever Wonka is a no brainer; if it is even half the game of JJP Pirates, it will probably blow the socks off BK3.

And this is coming from a Steve Ritchie Fanboy. I will very likely LOVE playing BK3, but for home use, unless Wonka is some sort of dumpster fire disaster, is a no brainer purchase sight unseen.

If both games end up being mind blowingly awesome, then great! But even then at their relative prices if I am shelling out for one, it will be the more content packed one.

Just compare JJP PoTC with what we have seen from BK3 so far, compare their prices, and which one seems like a screaming bargain in comparison?

Really looking forward to playing both of these games, but I am more excited to see/play Wonka for what its worth...

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

You say that like it is a bad thing. Last time I was in a location with over 30 different pins, I played Diner and Mousin Around the most. Gameplay on those gets addictive and just fun. JJP pins are pretty cool but something gets lost in all the cost and complexity for me. When price goes up, expectations go up with it and no pin is going to deliver at those prices. It's going to be interesting if the new JJP can live up to the hype.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You say that like it is a bad thing. Last time I was in a location with over 30 different pins, I played Diner and Mousin Around the most. Gameplay on those gets addictive and just fun. JJP pins are pretty cool but something gets lost in all the cost and complexity for me. When price goes up, expectations go up with it and no pin is going to deliver at those prices. It's going to be interesting if the new JJP can live up to the hype.

Umm...yeah, it's a bad thing at $7500-8500.

#69 4 years ago

Try adding another 32% on that plus shipping and then adding another 15% on top for tax. Ek

So big call

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Here is about the third thread started that can't seem to get title of machine correct.
It's SWORD singular not pural.

Yeah really! Well at least the OP FINALLY corrected the thread name to "swords of rage" rather than" swords of furies".

BTW - it's "plural" not "pural".

#71 4 years ago

I just sold some games I’m buying both. Black Knight looks bad ass not going to lie. I think Black Knight might be the best Stern game ever... looks amazing.

With that being said if I had to choose one over the other, I would take Wonka.

I think JJP games are perfect for pinball collectors and I think its fair to say JJP games are 2 to 3 times better than any Stern from a collector standpoint.

If you’re a tournament player, then I would get Black Knight merely for no other reason than you’ll see that game in virtually every tournament played for the next two years... same as Iron Maiden.

I think the question should be if you could only buy ONE which would you get.

WONKA.

You have the option or either one or both... I’ll go with Both.

#72 4 years ago

Ur yep, I spell as well as I play. Sorry about that, lol. Back to my corner I go.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I just sold some games I’m buying both. Black Knight looks bad ass not going to lie. I think Black Knight might be the best Stern game ever... looks amazing.
I think JJP games are perfect for pinball collectors and I think its fair to say JJP games are 2 to 3 times better than any Stern from a collector standpoint.
If you’re a tournament player, then I would get Black Knight merely for no other reason than you’ll see that game in virtually every tournament played for the next two years... same as Iron Maiden.
I think the question should be if you could only buy ONE which would you get.
WONKA.
You have the option or either one or both... I’ll go with Both.

I don't think you're going to go wrong by buying either - or both. These games have a LOT of potential!

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

How would you make that call? Have you seen it or played it yet?

rd

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

So Wonka will make BKSoR look, play, sound, and flip better than an average Stern release?

#76 4 years ago

Played none of these two for now.
What I saw and heard from BKsor makes me want to play it, even own it. Wonka can be the best pinball game ever built. For me the theme is so bad, kitschy like the Oktoberfest game. I learned this lesson with WOZ, game was not bad, but had no fun cause the theme was so bad for me. If it is a world underglass, it's a world I don't want to visit.

#77 4 years ago

^Thanks for sharing.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I learned this lesson with WOZ, game was not bad, but had no fun cause the theme was so bad for me. If it is a world underglass, it's a world I don't want to visit.

Might be if you are from Europe you might not have any connection to Woz but for me my age group in US, Woz is like something we grew up with almost like can not know a time without Woz movie growing up watched it many times and our kids although a generation younger are the same way. I must have seen Woz 20 times easy. So for me it’s a great theme but we had people live with us from Germany who were 18-20 years old and had no clue there was even a movie Woz so it might be a very American thing.

As for Wonka, yes I watched it a lot growing up too but nothing like Woz to me. It was a solid good movie but to me Woz is ont of the best ever ever. Not just best kids movie but one of the best movies full stop.

#79 4 years ago

There is not poll choice for both and I have not played either game so not like it’s a binding commitment but I would like to buy both. For years Stern has been meh to me. I don’t mean that negatively but just they have not got me excited at all even Maiden which more people love but I play all the Stern pins and was not that looking to buy any except this BK has got me most interested. I think it’s the almost D&D type vibe and the toy looks very nice.

I’ll likely buy one or the other and sell one of my pins just can’t decide if I’ll need to sell two pins and buy both. But as of now I’ll lean towards Wonka just for the anticipation that it will have more stuff (toys, ramps etc) not sure which will be most fun probably both fun in their own right.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

So for me it’s a great theme but we had people live with us from Germany who were 18-20 years old and had no clue there was even a movie Woz so it might be a very American thing.

It is.

With Willy Wonka that is even more so (at least for germany), wich is why I am afraid all this "this license is a home run" will not neccesarily convert into (worldwide) sales.

I really hope this will work out for JJP.

#81 4 years ago

Was Johnny Mnemonic a big hit in Germany?

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Was Johnny Mnemonic a big hit in Germany?

Was Johnny Mnemonic a big hit anywhere?

Most people now buy it DESPITE of the license.
(But not for NIB pricetag.)

And yes, I like Cyberpunk so in core I like JM too, despite it's many flaws.
Recently bought the (way longer, more story heavy and way more Beat Tekeshi and Dolph Lundgren) japanese Version on Blu Ray.

For me personally this is the best license in pinball ever, that game shall never leave (again), I want George Gomez babies and it's ok for me if everone else hates it.

To getting back to Wonka:
Yes that shows that you can love a game despite it's license.
But that doesn't wok out tooooo well.

Fun Fact:
Johnny Mnemonics german title was "Vernetzt", wich translates to "Networked" or "Cross-Linked".
Ahhhh, the interwebz...

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Two games no one has played.
Christ.

#84 4 years ago

A willy wonka pinball machine? I wonder if it will have the old folks in the bedroom together like in the movie as the upper play field. Maybe some edible pinball parts on the main play field. Cheer up Charlie music in the background?

Weird movie.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

A willy wonka pinball machine? I wonder if it will have the old folks in the bedroom together like in the movie as the upper play field. Maybe some edible pinball parts on the main play field. Cheer up Charlie music in the background?
Weird movie.

I heard that the pin will be based around the Grandfather's character and his life spent laying in bed. The plunger with be an old man foot with hammer toe.

#86 4 years ago

I know that we don't have official pricing yet, but like many other Pinheads I will be making a choice between Black Knight Premium and Willy Wonka LE for my next NIB. I plan to play both at MGC this weekend, as I am not going to buy without playing first.

From what I have gathered on Pinside, it looks like Black Knight Premium is already being widely advertised at $7499 and Willy LE speculation is at $9500. Do these prices seem likely? Will most distributors include shipping at these prices?

Thanks for adding your two cents!

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I know that we don't have official pricing yet, but like many other Pinheads I will be making a choice between Black Knight Premium and Willy Wonka LE for my next NIB. I plan to play both at MGC this weekend, as I am not going to buy without playing first.
From what I have gathered on Pinside, it looks like Black Knight Premium is already being widely advertised at $7499 and Willy LE speculation is at $9500. Do these prices seem likely? Will most distributors include shipping at these prices?
Thanks for adding your two cents!

FWIW: One thing to keep in mind. Stern street prices usually include shipping. JJP games do not. So Wonka will probably be $9500 plus shipping.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

FWIW: One thing to keep in mind. Stern street prices usually include shipping. JJP games do not. So Wonka will probably be $9500 plus shipping.

Word.

Something like $300 shipping in the past JJP (dealers) have run discount like $400/$500 sale but not on new pin usually down the road.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hopefully Wonka has a Prominant mode for the weird chocolate river boat trip. Amazing.

It the key mode in the slot machines

Has to be a focal point!

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It is.
With Willy Wonka that is even more so (at least for germany), wich is why I am afraid all this "this license is a home run" will not neccesarily convert into (worldwide) sales.
I really hope this will work out for JJP.

I can’t believe that techno beat garbage is still a thing for Germans!

#91 4 years ago

I suggest contacting your distributor. If you're paying for shipping on a JJP or stern, you need to shop around.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can’t believe that techno beat garbage is still a thing for Germans!

I do not understand what you're talking about.

I guess my only infamous guilty 'german' pleasure is liking David Hasselhoff!
(I still have some Vinyl and yes I do occasionally listen to them. XD )

My first Pin was Baywatch and I SO WANT A KNIGHT RIDER GAME!!! XD

Sadly, as a childhood memory of mine it ouf course would have to have the german voice actors... and the (very distinct) voice actor off KITT sadly commited suicide.

Fun Fact: David Hasselhoffs german voice is the same voice as Kermit the Frog!

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Sadly, as a childhood memory of mine it ouf course would have to have the german voice actors... and the (very distinct) voice actor off KITT sadly commited suicide.

Oh god, also it has nothing to do with Wonka or Black Knight now I have to intervene here and make one thing clear: Not every german likes David Hasselhoff! Some of us have good taste in music and tv shows!!! ;P DS_Nadine only speaks for himself!!!

#94 4 years ago

Buying both, but Wonka will be the clear winner.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Oh god, also it has nothing to do with Wonka or Black Knight now I have to intervene here and make one thing clear: Not every german likes David Hasselhoff! Some of us have good taste in music and tv shows!!! ;P DS_Nadine only speaks for himself!!!

LMAO

Ok, one question...

If you HAD to buy one of these machines just by license:
Willy Wonka or Knight Rider?

#96 4 years ago

Going to be a homerun of the game similar to Attack from Mars which deals with different countries, the characters in Willy Wonka also do the same.

Taken from Wikipedia ::
The first four tickets are found by the gluttonous Augustus Gloop, from Germany the spoiled Veruca Salt, from England, the gum-chewing Violet Beauregarde, from Montana, and the television-obsessed Mike Teevee, from Arizona. Charlie The hero of the movie coming from a poor family finds the last 5th golden ticket.

This theme is gold for a pinball machine.
Can’t wait.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

LMAO
Ok, one question...

Wonka! But, practically speaking, there is a $2000 difference between the Knight Premium and the Willy LE. Tough decisions ahead! Playing both at MGC should give me some answers.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I suggest contacting your distributor. If you're paying for shipping on a JJP or stern, you need to shop around.

I have to pay to use a CC...

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

LMAO
Ok, one question...

You are an evil man!!!

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Lol! That’s why I can’t trust the Germans and their love for Hasselhoff! We don’t get it

I’ll be in Prague this summer. Last time I was there the weed march was going on! 2 yrs ago

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Other
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
12,500 (OBO)
$ 300.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-fury-or-willy-wonka/page/2?hl=dookski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.