You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nut good (resized).jpg
Nut bad (resized).jpg
FFBDA55F-ACD5-4258-B8A5-4009F00CA049 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Just installed the speaker lights kit from Doug at speakerlightkits.com. They are awesome, particularly in a dark room. Many ways to run these lights. The Acrylic is now available as well. Easy to install, about 15 minutes taking your time. It is a great mod for this pin.

1 week later
#2 4 years ago

Just did them myself this weekend. Very nice looking.

I did have issues with the speaker plates (which are now 1/2” father “out” than before, due to being mounted on the lights) hitting the black plastic strips that block light from bleeding through. I had to trim them a bit and mount them back in the backbox a bit further. Still wasn’t perfect and takes a bit more pressure to close the speaker box, but it seems to work just fine. Tried every which way to adjust the frame/speaker plate etc and it just barely contacted those plastic strips each time.

FFBDA55F-ACD5-4258-B8A5-4009F00CA049 (resized).jpegFFBDA55F-ACD5-4258-B8A5-4009F00CA049 (resized).jpeg
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Just did them myself this weekend. Very nice looking.
I did have issues with the speaker plates (which are now 1/2” father “out” than before, due to being mounted on the lights) hitting the black plastic strips that block light from bleeding through. I had to trim them a bit and mount them back in the backbox a bit further. Still wasn’t perfect and takes a bit more pressure to close the speaker box, but it seems to work just fine. Tried every which way to adjust the frame/speaker plate etc and it just barely contacted those plastic strips each time.[quoted image]

I believe it is the speaker plates (now being mounted back farther) rubbing against the 2 nuts that hold the speaker panel to the bottom of the backbox. Stern originally used Keps nuts there, but then changed to thicker nylon insert nuts (which made them rub on the speaker plates a bit more).

Make sure the nuts are positioned with the flat part of the hex nut running parallel with the speaker plate and NOT with the point of the hex nut toward the speaker plate. This may take a little loosening or tightening of each nut to get them lined up as good as they can be. This will allow the panel to close easier (though it will still probably rub a bit when closing).

I am working on having my next run of replacement speaker plates, as well as my upcoming 5.25" speaker plates, to have a small notch there to accommodate where the nuts are. That won't really help most users, as they are usually using the factory speaker plates, but for people doing other speaker upgrades and using my replacement speaker plates, it should make it so the panel closes completely unobstructed.

Glad to hear your bent CN9 pins weren't an issue.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)
Nut bad (resized).jpgNut bad (resized).jpgNut good (resized).jpgNut good (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I believe it is the speaker plates (now being mounted back farther) rubbing against the 2 nuts that hold the speaker panel to the bottom of the backbox. Stern originally used Keps nuts there, but then changed to thicker nylon insert nuts (which made them rub on the speaker plates a bit more).
Make sure the nuts are positioned with the flat part of the hex nut running parallel with the speaker plate and NOT with the point of the hex nut toward the speaker plate. This may take a little loosening or tightening of each nut to get them lined up as good as they can be. This will allow the panel to close easier (though it will still probably rub a bit when closing).
I am working on having my next run of replacement speaker plates, as well as my upcoming 5.25" speaker plates, to have a small notch there to accommodate where the nuts are. That won't really help most users, as they are usually using the factory speaker plates, but for people doing other speaker upgrades and using my replacement speaker plates, it should make it so the panel closes completely unobstructed.
Glad to hear your bent CN9 pins weren't an issue.
Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Doug, my apologies for just seeing this now. I wish I could get this forum to email me when someone replies to a topic that I want to stay up to date on.

Totally didn’t see this when I asked in another question last evening, but then saw you answered it there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Electronics
FlipMods

$ 16.00
$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-sword-of-rage-speaker-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.