1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Ky8530
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BA4B297B-6A0C-4984-88CC-BCAD7046C104 (resized).jpeg
664F2A76-3964-45FD-AA6B-2BD18DFD9EFE (resized).jpeg
2C55E95E-F56E-48B9-950F-B072025F5F4B (resized).jpeg
Instructions 2.png
Card 6x4.png
Instructions 1.png
20190607_215532 (resized).jpg
Card 3.png
84000CBC-DD5C-4BB7-9E32-5F7EAC79EE3D.jpeg
bksor_instr_07 (resized).png
bksor_instr_06 (resized).png
bksor_instr_05 (resized).png
bksor_instr_04 (resized).png
bksor_instr_03 (resized).png
bksor_instr_02 (resized).png
bksor_instr_01 (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

I like to replace the stock yellows because they stand out like sore thumbs and annoy me. I don't claim to be DaVinci, or even your local 5th grade artist coloring in a coloring book, but I do think these are at a minimum drastically better than the stock yellow that comes with games. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J-jTYGm6xx97T0YzG2KuUaXDMLBGGspd

bksor_instr_01 (resized).pngbksor_instr_02 (resized).pngbksor_instr_03 (resized).pngbksor_instr_04 (resized).pngbksor_instr_05 (resized).pngbksor_instr_06 (resized).pngbksor_instr_07 (resized).png
#2 1 year ago
84000CBC-DD5C-4BB7-9E32-5F7EAC79EE3D.jpeg
#3 1 year ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I like to replace the stock yellows because they stand out like sore thumbs and annoy me. I don't claim to be DaVinci, or even your local 5th grade artist coloring in a coloring book, but I do think these are at a minimum drastically better than the stock yellow that comes with games. Enjoy.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! Thank you.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Amen, amen, amen!!! And thank you!!!

I think somebody at Stern took that whole “black type on a yellow background is the easiest to read” thing a little too far.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Thank you!

#6 1 year ago

Nice, been waiting for something gonna get these made tomorow.

#7 1 year ago

Not my best effort but here is a start.

Card 3.png
2 weeks later
#8 1 year ago

Nice picks

#9 1 year ago

I used a little of both.

20190607_215532 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I used a little of both. [quoted image]

Very nice!

#11 1 year ago

Is anyone with far more artistic talent than I (OK; that’s pretty much everyone, but you know what I mean) working on an overlay for the health warning/MagnaSave decal?

Now that I see these in place in @captainhook’s pic, that yellow health warning notice shatters the effect and needs to go. But it looks like it’s part of the MagnaSave decal (my Premium isn’t here yet; pardon my slightly hesitant wording.) I like the MagnaSave part as is but I’d rather not do something to just cover the warning only since it will be obvious that something was partially covered up.

To be clear: I completely understand why this warning has to be there and I am *NOT* advocating that they should be removed or look different coming from the factory. That jarring yellow is actually perfect for games on public location. But for home use games IMHO it spoils the overall look of what we’re going for with these mods. I don’t put CAUTION: HOT! labels on my guests’ coffee mugs (or KNOW YOUR LIMIT! labels on their other beverage cups) when they come over to play pinball, so I don’t think I really need this warning either. (I always hide all the silica gel packets, though, but that’s another story.)

Perhaps make a very similar MagnaSave decal that fills that entire space but also includes the words WHEN LIT or WHEN FLASHING or WHEN BLINKING BLUE or however it works during gameplay. Or use the reclaimed room for additional rule/feature highlight space or some other creative elements. Then use a couple little spots of non-permanent adhesive to attach it. (If you haven’t discovered the stuff called Instant Tacky yet you should check your local crafts store. Lots of applications.)

Lastly, it would be really great if folks doing these purely for the good of the pinball community could release their contributions with editable/replaceable text so we could use them as is or tweak them here and there if we want to/need to. Not for the stylized logo-related text, but everywhere else. The game keeps evolving and I’m happy to make any wording changes necessary and not have to ask the gracious artist who released them in the first place if they would do another update with X, Y and Z changes.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Lastly, it would be really great if folks doing these purely for the good of the pinball community could release their contributions with editable/replaceable text so we could use them as is or tweak them here and there if we want to/need to. Not for the stylized logo-related text, but everywhere else. The game keeps evolving and I’m happy to make any wording changes necessary and not have to ask the gracious artist who released them in the first place if they would do another update with X, Y and Z changes.

Alas, that's not as easy as it sounds. There are a handful of programs available to make these things and they don't often play nice with each other. Changing the text means that you have to have the appropriate font on your PC (or else everything gets changed to 'Myriad,' and no one wants that!)

To make matters worse, you can't even combine the file in a zip with the font because font creators are very protective of their stuff. The best you could do is say, "here's the PDF, I used this font, you can download it here" in a readme. (Fonts get embedded in PDF files, but just the specific characters that the document is using, not everything.)

BUT...if we establish a central location for these things (perhaps on Pinside?) then several people with the right tools could have access and anyone who has time could jump in and respond to a request. And maybe someone would even be willing to thank them with a small Paypal donation...but I get ahead of myself.

I stumbled on this thread because I'm planning on making a LCARS insert for my Star Trek pin and I was checking to see if anyone else did that sort of thing.

http://gamecreature.com

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Gamecreature:

Alas, that's not as easy as it sounds. There are a handful of programs available to make these things and they don't often play nice with each other. Changing the text means that you have to have the appropriate font on your PC (or else everything gets changed to 'Myriad,' and no one wants that!)
To make matters worse, you can't even combine the file in a zip with the font because font creators are very protective of their stuff. The best you could do is say, "here's the PDF, I used this font, you can download it here" in a readme. (Fonts get embedded in PDF files, but just the specific characters that the document is using, not everything.)
BUT...if we establish a central location for these things (perhaps on Pinside?) then several people with the right tools could have access and anyone who has time could jump in and respond to a request. And maybe someone would even be willing to thank them with a small Paypal donation...but I get ahead of myself.
I stumbled on this thread because I'm planning on making a LCARS insert for my Star Trek pin and I was checking to see if anyone else did that sort of thing.
http://gamecreature.com

I'm all for a central repository and for compensating artists for their work (I've actually sent a few PMs to folks suggesting that I was certain that the community here would be more than happy to offer some kind of monetary compensation for their efforts, but I have yet to receive any replies.)

In the end, however, I don't care about using anything from the original release other than the artistic elements. There are plenty of both free and paid fonts you can get that will work fine for whatever text you want to put on the custom cards. Everyone's taste is different anyway. (On more than one occasion I've seen people fawn all over a block of text printed in a font that I found virtually unreadable.) And I don't need high-end tools to just add my own text to a PDF and print it off so I can put in my game.

I'd be more than happy with cards that give us the stunning visual impression that the artist has created/composed but that otherwise have NO other text-looking things on them at all ... save for two:

1. any stylized logo/title/theme text such as "Black Knight" in BKSOR (which is more than likely an art object by this time anyway and not an actual font you'd want to mess with even if it WAS editable); and
2. some small but clearly readable text in an appropriate, visible, and not easily removable/concealable location that identifies and credits the artist and doesn't prefer to sign it it in the artwork. Such text would also be done as embedded artwork.

The crediting helps better ensure that if I was unscrupulous and later tried to make money by merely adding/altering my own text over someone else's artwork the that community would spread the word and hammer me incessantly into oblivion. But "no text" versions of the cards achieve the main goal which is to not have to pester anyone to make text changes as features, rules and my personal preferences change.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

I'm all for a central repository and for compensating artists for their work (I've actually sent a few PMs to folks suggesting that I was certain that the community here would be more than happy to offer some kind of monetary compensation for their efforts, but I have yet to receive any replies.)
In the end, however, I don't care about using anything from the original release other than the artistic elements. There are plenty of both free and paid fonts you can get that will work fine for whatever text you want to put on the custom cards. Everyone's taste is different anyway. (On more than one occasion I've seen people fawn all over a block of text printed in a font that I found virtually unreadable.) And I don't need high-end tools to just add my own text to a PDF and print it off so I can put in my game.
I'd be more than happy with cards that give us the stunning visual impression that the artist has created/composed but that otherwise have NO other text-looking things on them at all ... save for two:
1. any stylized logo/title/theme text such as "Black Knight" in BKSOR (which is more than likely an art object by this time anyway and not an actual font you'd want to mess with even if it WAS editable); and
2. some small but clearly readable text in an appropriate, visible, and not easily removable/concealable location that identifies and credits the artist and doesn't prefer to sign it it in the artwork. Such text would also be done as embedded artwork.
The crediting helps better ensure that if I was unscrupulous and later tried to make money by merely adding/altering my own text over someone else's artwork the that community would spread the word and hammer me incessantly into oblivion. But "no text" versions of the cards achieve the main goal which is to not have to pester anyone to make text changes as features, rules and my personal preferences change.

So, it sounds like you want the equivalent of a "letterhead" with blank space for whatever. Would you be able to create a template (this much space for art, this much space clear for user content), possibly with a few words describing any variations you might want or need? Then we could ask the powers that be for a place to keep the template along with any inserts made with it.

#15 1 year ago

So, it sounds like you want the equivalent of a "letterhead" with blank space for whatever. Would you be able to create a template (this much space for art, this much space clear for user content), possibly with a few words describing any variations you might want or need? Then we could ask the powers that be for a place to keep the template along with any inserts made with it.

I *could* create such a template, but then it would be *my* template. Plus I'm one who prefers to see the artists' original compositions and manifestations of their own creative visions, rather than stuffing them into some box I built. For example: who says "instructions" or "how to play" should always be at the top of the card? Why not at the bottom? Or down the sides? Why does the pricing have to be centered on a card? Why couldn't it (still in a rather large font) be shifted so as to occupy (say) the 3/4 of the card coming from the upper right corner - and then highlighted by artistic elements along the "margins" that remain down the left side and across the bottom?

Overall I think it's pretty straightforward as to the general space requirements/allotments for text that need to/could go on the cards, i.e. an instruction card will be very text dense, whereas a pricing card far less so. As long as the artists take that into consideration along with their color choices (as we will be putting text over some of those areas and we need to have a range of colors available for us for that text which will both enhance readability and complement/extend the overall look of the card as well), I say unleash these far-more-talented-than-I folks and let them have at it. I guarantee you they will keep blowing us away like those here already have.

There's likewise no reason artists couldn't provide samples of their cards with some guidelines and text on them along with the no-text version when they release it just to give us some idea of their vision of how text could be placed to get us thinking about how we might use a particular card too.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

I *could* create such a template, but then it would be *my* template. Plus I'm one who prefers to see the artists' original compositions and manifestations of their own creative visions, rather than stuffing them into some box I built. For example: who says "instructions" or "how to play" should always be at the top of the card? Why not at the bottom? Or down the sides? Why does the pricing have to be centered on a card? Why couldn't it (still in a rather large font) be shifted so as to occupy (say) the 3/4 of the card coming from the upper right corner - and then highlighted by artistic elements along the "margins" that remain down the left side and across the bottom?
Overall I think it's pretty straightforward as to the general space requirements/allotments for text that need to/could go on the cards, i.e. an instruction card will be very text dense, whereas a pricing card far less so. As long as the artists take that into consideration along with their color choices (as we will be putting text over some of those areas and we need to have a range of colors available for us for that text which will both enhance readability and complement/extend the overall look of the card as well), I say unleash these far-more-talented-than-I folks and let them have at it. I guarantee you they will keep blowing us away like those here already have.
There's likewise no reason artists couldn't provide samples of their cards with some guidelines and text on them along with the no-text version when they release it just to give us some idea of their vision of how text could be placed to get us thinking about how we might use a particular card too.

As the old saying goes, "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like."

I want what I make to be as useful as possible to folks, so I will happily do focus testing and so on to reach the largest audience. I'm sure part of that is due to some disorder that makes me want to please everyone. So I like to get a feel for what people would like. I only have one pin myself and I'm sure that the dimensions for the inserts don't vary too much, but if there is any such data regarding inserts for different types of machines out there, let me know. I wasn't planning on charging for my work, just mentioning that donations would be welcome.

I should probably need to start a new thread, too. Don't mean to be rude.

#17 1 year ago

As the old saying goes, "I may not know much about art, but I know what I like."
I want what I make to be as useful as possible to folks, so I will happily do focus testing and so on to reach the largest audience. I'm sure part of that is due to some disorder that makes me want to please everyone. So I like to get a feel for what people would like. I only have one pin myself and I'm sure that the dimensions for the inserts don't vary too much, but if there is any such data regarding inserts for different types of machines out there, let me know. I wasn't planning on charging for my work, just mentioning that donations would be welcome.
I should probably need to start a new thread, too. Don't mean to be rude.

Screw focus groups! One more time, with feeling: SCREW FOCUS GROUPS!!! Don't waste your time. Because in addition to a decent amount of GOOD FEEDBACK, you'll not only get a lot of BAD FEEDBACK, you'll get at least ten times both of them combined in CONFLICTING FEEDBACK. Think about it: the Pinside Forums are really just one great big pinball focus group already. Look back at other posts in threads all over the forums, then look back at the words I just hollered in all caps. Ponder them together for about a nanosecond and realize that I can confidently end this paragraph with QED.

So instead of throwing your time down the rat hole in focus groups (and sticking strictly to BKSOR for your maiden voyage) what do ***YOU*** think a nice assortment of cards for those BKSOR bottom arch locations should look like? THAT'S what you create and release to the community here when you know your work is ready. If they're really not ready, I'm sure you'll hear that feedback in short order. The good news, however, is that if they really are ready (or better than ready!), I know you'll hear that feedback in short order too - and undoubtedly with some free-will donations to let you know that feedback was heartfelt and your work appreciated.

Legendary Warner Bros. animator Chuck Jones was once asked how he and his team were able to produce so many visually appealing and incredibly funny cartoons time after time after time. He said they consistently did it because they did NOT ask people what they thought or wanted. Instead, Jones and his team made cartoons that THEY wanted to see. They didn't talk (or listen) to anyone beforehand. They just did them for themselves. Oddly enough, millions of other people found them to be phenomenally fantastic when they saw them too.

Thought I'd close with one extra QED for you.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I used a little of both. [quoted image]

Nice mix!

#19 1 year ago

I added a couple of two ball flails to the previous card. I just finally printed cards today and picked them up at Sams.

I format my cards so they are the correct size of 5.5x3 inches then set the canvas size to 6x4 inches before saving. This way the file can be printed to 6x4 photo paper or through an online printer like Sams or Walgreens without scaling. Then just cut it down to size to fit. I scaled some of the other cards in this thread while I was at it.

Card 6x4.pngInstructions 1.pngInstructions 2.png
3 months later
#20 10 months ago

Thanks for posting these!

Question about what program and settings you all are using to print these. I was trying to use GIMP and for the life of me I cannot get it to print properly on a 4x6. Wasted over 15 sheets so far. Every combo or portrait/landscape/borderless/loading paper sideways or longways...no luck getting the whole picture within the 4x6.

Thanks

2 months later
#21 7 months ago
Quoted from ezatnova:

Thanks for posting these!
Question about what program and settings you all are using to print these. I was trying to use GIMP and for the life of me I cannot get it to print properly on a 4x6. Wasted over 15 sheets so far. Every combo or portrait/landscape/borderless/loading paper sideways or longways...no luck getting the whole picture within the 4x6.
Thanks

ezatnova The best way to get apron cards to print out at the right size is to make them a pdf. I'm no Photoshop expert by any means, but I have to get a bunch of these printed today, so I took a shot at making a pdf of them. It seems to print correctly, but the filesize is too large for Pinside so I added it to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/njbprk6gfsgg5d7/BKSOR-printable2.pdf?dl=0

And here's a few from the other thread:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqih303y7lw72i0/BKSOR-printable-1-lg.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bh3hwnv2hyxhkls/BKSOR-printable-3-lg.pdf?dl=0

Hope this helps!

#22 7 months ago

Thank you for posting these. Nice easy upgrade.

2C55E95E-F56E-48B9-950F-B072025F5F4B (resized).jpeg664F2A76-3964-45FD-AA6B-2BD18DFD9EFE (resized).jpegBA4B297B-6A0C-4984-88CC-BCAD7046C104 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside