Black Knight Strobes then blows Solenoid Fuse

By ImpulsiveJames

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi, first time posting

We have Black Knight pinball machine and lately it's been ....quirky.... The best way I can explain it is the following:

Play the game for 15ish mins, everything seems to work fine, then it will just freeze. Turn off, then back on and the displays will strobe, the machine will make a clicking noise (not sure if it's a relay or multiple solenoids), if you don't turn the machine off for about 5-10 sec the solenoid fuse will blow, and the CPU will be in locked state. To fix the machine, replace the solenoid fuse, unlock CPU and everything seems to be fine for about another 10-15mins.

Not sure what's going on, not sure if I'm testing voltages right, but I have the following (Tested from grounding braid):
CPU: 4.92v, 9-10 White Pair: 95.7v, 15-16 Gray Pair: 11.6v, 11-12 Blue Pair: 14.75v, 13-14 Red Pair: 29.98v, 17-19 Yellow Pair: 5.45v.

Was unable to locate 12v today, but will try again in a couple days

Have some parts on the way to add fuses to the rectifiers and replace the caps on the power board.

Thanks!!!

#2 3 years ago

Sounds like your CPU is resetting over and over. I would look at this thread for suggestions. Could be anything from cold solder joints to bad 40 pin to bad ROM sockets. Doubtful the power supply caps are going to be the problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

Specifically you should start here. Inspect ALL board header pins for cold solder joints - very common: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-962763

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll work on that this week! Thanks so much!

#4 3 years ago

When the software jumps out of program for whatever reason expect the solenoid fuse to blow. The blanking system WMS implemented is far from fool proof about keeping the solenoids / lamps off when the game jumps out of the expected software program and runs wild.

Treat it like the game is locked up. Power supply, interconnect, crap chip sockets. Some gentle flexing on the MPU/driver interconnect and a gentle twist on an IC socket to see if it causes a reset /lockup is a fairly decent test for bad connection.

#5 3 years ago

You guys are good! Re-soldered all of the connections from the CPU and Driver board and everything is back to normal!

Now just got to fix up one of the weak flippers and it will be (almost) good as new!

#7 3 years ago

Congrats!

I understand your problem is fixed. Were the symptoms similar to what I'm showing in this 20 second video:

I have a replacement board on the way but still want to try and fix the board and if I can narrow it down...

#8 3 years ago

Have parts for the flippers on the way. Planning to replace the double contact button switch and rebuild one flipper, just to see how it goes and what the power difference is between the two.

My issue was much different. I have a short video, but this is sightly different from what it was doing before. Before it was stuck Strobing like this, then the fuse would blow shortly after.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-strobes-then-blows-solenoid-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.